Would I ever sail Costa again

alioness

I've had lots of cruises with Costa and they've all been great ones. I'll definitely stick with them.

p.s. Capt. Schettino has NOT been fired by Costa. If he will be, as is probable, it will come after he's tried by the judiciary.

I cruise with MCS and Costa before and both cruise lines were disappointing. By compare with services, food quality and shore excisions; cruise lines like Princess, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Crystal, Norwegian were so much better compare with Costa and MSC. Once you make a comparison you will not cruise with them.

(It just my experiences)

Flah

I cruise with MCS and Costa before and both cruise lines were disappointing. By compare with services, food quality and shore excisions; cruise lines like Princess, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Crystal, Norwegian were so much better compare with Costa and MSC. Once you make a comparison you will not cruise with them.

(It just my experiences)

Flah

I do have comparison and I will neve sail again on NCL and I don think royal is good line ,so what? we all different i guess

From reading posts from American members of CC prior to the Concordia it comes across that they either Love Costa or Hate them! there is no inbetween.

It would be interesting to see what the comments would have been like had it been a Princess or RCI ship that was involved! and before anyone says they do not go near to the coastline i can recall our cruise on Brilliance of the seas in June 2010 passed close by the coast of the Heel of Italy and Sardinia and Corsica!!

My comments would be exactly the same regardless of the line or it's parent company.

I do have comparison and I will neve sail again on NCL and I don think royal is good line ,so what? we all different i guess

I agree with this 100 percent NCL is the only line I will not sail. have been on 54 cruises and most of the major lines.

Then don't sail the Mediterranean. All the announcements are given in English, Spanish, French, and German on "American" lines like NCL.

SO SAD, our Thoughts & prayers are with everyone involved on the `CONCORDIA !

We were on the NEW (2006)`Costa Serena' (Sister Ship to `Concordia !) for the Christmas Cruise to Canary Islands in 2007 and on one instance as we were leaving Port and were at Dinner in the Resturant, suddenly the ship lurched over to a very extreem angle, with the Water line up to the Resturant windows, everyone & everything was sent flying , with some people hurt and many so frightened by the experience etc.It was horrific!

It was later explained that the Captain had made a mistake in turning the Ship too hard to the Starboard (Right) and apologized for the action, that had so many passengers worried? We sure thought at that time that this was a VERY bad act of Seamanship that could so easily have resulted in a more severe result , like causing the ship to go over on its side possibly !

Needless to say, we shall NEVER go on a COSTA SHIP again ! And now always travel P&O or Princess.Who always have impressed us as a much more Safety & Passenger Aware Company with a higher degree of Customer satisfaction,PLUS EVERYONE SPEAKS ENGLISH!

Though of course even they now need to improve their procedures and Emergency Ships Practices, Equipment & Most importantly `Ship Designs & Size? , in light of this awful latest shipwreck & terrible loss of life etc.

(It just my experiences)

Flah

We cruised with Princess never ever again not the cruise line for us!

Everything is a personal choice

(It just my experiences)

Flah

I've sailed RCCL five times and Norwegian the same. I would sail with both again. I even sailed with Norwegian when, a few years ago a major warehouse store that sells bulk foods and cheap hotdogs (with a massive share of the cruise market through its travel department) wouldn't book a Norwegian cruise because of so many customer complaints. I'd say the name but I don't think I am supposed to specifically name other travel agencies on this forum. I rarely use the company anyway for bookings. Norwegian apparently reformed and this certain company started booking them again. I went to Alaska and the Bahamas on Norwegian last year. I do not like Norwegian's MDR service as much since the auto tipping but the rest of the cruise is fine. RCCL seems better than Norwegian in some respects. I like Costa a bit better for the service, diversity etc. and the ports.

A friend had a bad RCCL cruise. After the Concordia, she sent me the link below showing numerous recent complaints against RCCL. Her husband got sick. The weather was bad. The ship wouldn't honor part of their shipboard credit for some flimflam reason. It was their first cruise. I felt bad because I had raved about cruising to them before they booked. They won't be going on another cruise. Her experience still wouldn't deter me from sailing RCCL again. It is a good line.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/travel/royal_caribbean.htm

Check this account out about how a habitual cruise complainer got banned for life from RCCL for posting her complaints on this forum.

http://www.expertcruiser.com/advice/royal-caribbean-says-get-out-of-here-to-couple/

The management and crew on each ship are different even though they cruise under the same corporate flag. Specific ship avoidance might be wise in some situations, rather than avoiding the whole line. I've speculated that ships might be like hotels in a chain. The Portland Hilton might be fine whereas the Seattle Hilton might need some work.

Check this account out about how a habitual cruise complainer got banned for life from RCCL for posting her complaints on this forum.

http://www.expertcruiser.com/advice/royal-caribbean-says-get-out-of-here-to-couple/

The management and crew on each ship are different even though they cruise under the same corporate flag. Specific ship avoidance might be wise in some situations, rather than avoiding the whole line. I've speculated that ships might be like hotels in a chain. The Portland Hilton might be fine whereas the Seattle Hilton might need some work.

LOL...they got told...:D

We were on the NEW (2006)`Costa Serena' (Sister Ship to `Concordia !) for the Christmas Cruise to Canary Islands in 2007 and on one instance as we were leaving Port and were at Dinner in the Resturant, suddenly the ship lurched over to a very extreem angle, with the Water line up to the Resturant windows, everyone & everything was sent flying , with some people hurt and many so frightened by the experience etc.It was horrific!

It was later explained that the Captain had made a mistake in turning the Ship too hard to the Starboard (Right) and apologized for the action, that had so many passengers worried? We sure thought at that time that this was a VERY bad act of Seamanship that could so easily have resulted in a more severe result , like causing the ship to go over on its side possibly !

Hmm, I really believe this incident happened, but not with the water line up to the restaurant windows ;). This would meant the ship had a 35 degree, too much. Passenger wouldn't be worried, they would be massiv injured. I don't think it's impossible to make such a hard turn. BTW similar incidents happened on a RCCL ship April 2006 and a Princess ship July 2006. We had an unusual incident on Costa Serena on a passage from Izmir to Istanbul Sept 2010 when the ship suddenly listed about 8-10(?) degress to the left side without any warnings and everything was falling down. It lasted about 30-40 seconds and passengers were worried. Outside was a heavy rain and a thunderstorm cloud. It was later announced that the ships side was hit by a gusts with 60 mph. Deck 9 was slightly flooded with the water from the pools.

back to the original question: I would still sail on Costa. But I'm not loyal to any cruise company. My choice depends first on time of sailing, second on the destination or ship (not cruise line) and third on the price (I can not finance a cruise on MS Europa or LeBoreal :( and it might not be my world). What I like on Costa: spacious and very clean balcony cabins. What I don't like: the Joe Farcus style of the public areas. But everyone has a different taste.

We will be sailing with Costa again and as Golden Pearl members we love them.

We have always have helpful attentive staff, great food and our kids have seen and learnt so much from their travels. There is always a wonderful mix of cultures on board, makes for great people watching. Being an English speaking family we do not get to hear all the complaing from our fellow pax!!

My heartfelt prayers go out to all involved in the Concordia tragedy.

I would not call them a "bargain basement" cruise line as someone posted before!!!

The multi language announcements, are not a big deal, I think that a bit of common sence goes a long way in keeping ones self safe.

This is only my opinion and after sailing with P&O, Carnival & Costa, we loved them all but we have a soft spot for Costa.

I have sailed once on Costa, and decided after that cruise that I would not consider Costa again. The main reasons were the rudeness of the Italian guests who considered it proper to elbow their way into a line to get what they wanted or to get ahead of those in line. Second was the show of preference by the crew to those same guests.

I am perfectly happy to sail other lines, and the Concordia incident has no bearing on my decision.

No.

Reasons: 1) There is obviously something very wrong with the way they choose and train their captains.

and

2) Due to the many, many reports of the appalling way Costa treated the surviviors. One pax reported that they arrived home tuesday in the same clothes they wore during the sinking - Costa had refused to even arrange for them to get a change of clothing. Shameful. :mad:

Not flaming you, just need to say that is the opposite of what I read on these boards. One passenger said she was waiting for someone that was going to take them shopping for a change of clothes. I believe it was gong to be someone from Costa.

It is very unfortunate what happened to the Concordia - but it does not put me off of cruising with Costa again (have a few times). I have more risk of being injured or killed by crossing the streets here in Montreal, cruising is still safe in my mind (and as a crew of my own sailboat - a 30' - my Captain - aka DH - would have had me calling right away to the coast guard for help!).

Not flaming you, just need to say that is the opposite of what I read on these boards. One passenger said she was waiting for someone that was going to take them shopping for a change of clothes. I believe it was gong to be someone from Costa.

Huh? There was only one member of these boards who has reported firsthand being on that ship, and she said just the opposite, Costa abandoned them at the hotel and told them flat out they were on their own. Perhaps you misread something someplace.

I have sailed once on Costa, and decided after that cruise that I would not consider Costa again. The main reasons were the rudeness of the Italian guests who considered it proper to elbow their way into a line to get what they wanted or to get ahead of those in line. Second was the show of preference by the crew to those same guests.

I am perfectly happy to sail other lines, and the Concordia incident has no bearing on my decision.

We've observed the same thing when we sailed on the Costa Serena, sister ship to the Costa Concordia (identical specs).

The demographics and passenger profile on board were, sad to say...poor. Although 85% of the passengers on board were Italian, we think that it is more of a socioeconomic issue, rather than one of nationality.

The inconsiderate and general anti-social behavior on display such as the frequent queue jumping, the piling of a mountain of food onto plates that cannot possibly be consumed and the usurping of tables/chairs at buffets were shocking enough. However, to make matters worse, the virtual non-existence of the usual exchange of greetings and pleasantries along the ship's corridors that are so prevalent on other cruise ships were stuff that gave us cultural shock!

In many ways, we were not surprised to read of men barging past women and children, of the fighting over life vests and life boats and general disorder and inconsiderate behavior during evacuation on the Costa Concordia.

So, in all likelihood, we would not be sailing on Costa again although the Costa Concordia incident will not put us off cruising. After all, cruising remains the safest mode of travel. It is more than a century since the Titanic incident and fatalities on cruise ships are miniscule and insignificant statistically when compared to air travel. Yet people continue to fly.

You know, I read her reviews and she actually says more good things than bad in all her reviews. I'd be upset if what happened with her bathroom happened to my family.

She doesn't complain as much as "documents". She gives very precise almost minute by minute reviews.

I've met people like her before. They love to get free things. So what's wrong with that. She's more concerned about what she gets for free and happy about it more than anything else. Some people are just like that. They may be annoying but they are harmless.

You know, after reading her itemized reviews I actually think she's kind of cute. I love her comments about the "Big hunk of Italian" and "Big hunk of a French Canadian". I thought she was funny actually. Totally harmless.

I think RCCL has the right to ask them not to sail again on their ships but in fact I think it is freak'n stupid! She has more nice things to say than bad. I really don't see her as a complainer as much as I see her as someone who has to talk about every little thing she did on her cruise and about all the free stuff she gets. I wasn't bothered by it at all. And she's been loyal...A Diamond level cruiser. RCCL was dumb to drop them as customers IMHO. I think they just didn't like that she told people about the bathroom incident. She has a right to complain about that. In her place, I too would have told the cruiseline to take a hike if they tried to take away my right to free speech!

Like I said she documents everything I don't think of her as a real whinny complainer. At the end of every review she states what a great time she had.

Just MHO.

Huh? There was only one member of these boards who has reported firsthand being on that ship, and she said just the opposite, Costa abandoned them at the hotel and told them flat out they were on their own. Perhaps you misread something someplace.

Nope, I didn't misread anything. But more than one person from the cruise has been interviewed. I've read so many articles that it may be I didn't read the one I'm talking about on this boards, my bad about that.

Archived