Would I ever sail Costa again

alioness

I haven't sailed Costa but visited their ships twice in port. On one occasion the Hotel Director insisted I had lunch with him (although I was only on a 1 hour tour), gave me a bottle of wine as a parting gift and a bottle of olive oil. The Captain invited me to his cabin where we spoke at length, before dispatching the Guest Services Manager to give me a tour of the ship.

Based on that experience, yes, I will be sailing Costa in the future.

In terms of safety, I think this will make Costa one of the safest cruise lines around. I myself am not an English speaker by birth, but grew up with the language and consider it my first language. Nonetheless, I was on a German ship once with 11- yes, 11 English speakers. So, I think the multi-cultured nature will add to the diversity.

The one thing that scared me in the past about Costa was the embark-in-a-1000-ports type itinerary. I like having the start of the cruise, and the end. Not the welcome aboard show on Day 6- but now the Norwegian Epic, and almost all RCIs ships in the Med are doing the same from this year, so I guess it is just a changing industry standard for the largest of the mass-market ships on 7 dayers in Southern Europe. MSC has been doing this even before Costa.

Nonetheless, if there is another ship doing the same itinerary around the same dates then I'll probably end up not on Costa. In regards to Costa being 'bargin-price', the vast majority of Royal Caribbean, NCL and Carnival Med cruises are quite cheaper than Costa- the line does strike me to be a tad pricey.

We usually sail Celebrity (we have over 20 sailings) - so essentially after following many threads here about the lack of consideration given to the passengers needing some clothing/assistance/etc - by Costa, plus the consideration that if there is an emergency, I would prefer my language (English) to be the primary language spoken on board - not waiting for several other language annoucements before I understand what is happening. I only speak and understand English fluently, a little French - enough to get by for dinner but not an emergency evacuation - therefore, NO we will not be considering Costa into any of our equations.

What a balanced, well thought out post. Very refreshing to read on these boards after the past few days.

I, for one, have never sailed Costa but agree the language barrier is a bit of an issue for me. Having said that, I may consider one of their Caribbean itens, I imagine there would be more english speaking passengers on those.

LOL...speaking of racist. Hordes of Americans?!? I don't take things too seriously so it doesn't both me...but damn that pretty much impeaches that person's opinion.

I guess $8 bottles of wine and minimal Americans are where it's at!!

How is that racist?

I just don't understand the mentality of spending thousands of dollars for some cheap giveaway.

I never said anything about race or nationality.

I have never sailed Costa. I cant say I wouldnt sail with them. But I might weigh caution for a while to see if any other accidents occur. But I am also not happy that they did not take very good care of the whole situation.

They pretty much left people stranded and no help. But they indidcated they would pay for the captains defense.:(

...Some of the negative comments from Americans I've seen about Costa seem to center on frustration or concern over the several languages used on the ships. Many of us are not as language flexible as our cousins from the across the pond.

Speaking for myself, not for all Americans, I would dislike being on a ship that makes announcements in 5 languages. Not because I dislike diversity or think everyone should speak English.....I simply do NOT want to hear that many announcements. I find the ones in English irritating enough, so I could imagine people would be annoyed to hear it five times over. Multiple translations of speeches & intros gets tiresome. Twice, maybe three, no problem...but more than that, fahgettaboudit!!!!!!!!!!

Having sailed Costa once, I have to say no I would not sail them again.

I remember mentioning to my husband at the time that the muster drill seemed an inconvenience, not to the crew, who to be fair were trying to keep order, but by the majority of the passengers who thought it was all about laughter and blowing whistles on life jackets. The problem I see with doing a muster drill after sailing is that the holiday has already started and passengers are in their vacation mode.......................after all you don't have in flight safety demonstrations done half way through the flight. That aside, I did not enjoy the costa experience, the ports of call were lovely, the food was good too, however for my family and I it was a little too informal. I like to dress for dinner and certainly dont like seeing people in shorts in dining rooms on formal nights. The language barrier is not really an issue to me. I decided summer 2010 after getting off the Costa Serena, that it would be the first and last time I sailed costa.

We just got off the Costa Luminosa on Dec26th2011 (was on the ship between the 19th and 26th).

We found nothing but poor service on the ship, the food is terrible and the crew is not very friendly (except a few that are very nice) but most are below average and a few of them I would consider rude!

We have been on the RCL several times and want to try something different this time on Costa.......................but HUGH MISTAKE!

I was telling my wife the second day that I did not enjoy the ship and this will be our first but last time on Costa before the Concordia incident however I doubt she will ever go on Costa again even if its free.

The design of the ship is not bad its just the way they run the ship and their business..................too bad one less family will ever sail with Costa again!

LOL...speaking of racist. Hordes of Americans?!? I don't take things too seriously so it doesn't both me...but damn that pretty much impeaches that person's opinion.

I guess $8 bottles of wine and minimal Americans are where it's at!!

Do read the rest of my post. I think I mentioned the great service and the itineraries too:) Maybe you missed it?

Couldn't agree more with the above post about the Atlantica. Gorgeous. Fabulous service.

Hordes? Meaning a large group or crowd? Shocking isn't it that someone from America might seek an escape now and again to sample something different. If the word "horde" offends, let's amend it to an over abundance. I can't think of a better word for the reference to "Americans" but if someone can, please chime in with a suggestion. When I booked a safari in Africa, I tried to avoid an American crowd as well just for the adventure of trying something different. We ended up with great friends from France with whom we did a house swap three years after the safari. Their house was to die for. Our pool pump went out during their stay and yet they were so gracious about it. International diversity does have its advantages. I enjoy living here too much to move but I do like a vacation to faraway places. Not the same when I'm with a crowd of people so similar to me. So yes Costa does appeal to me because it has minimal Americans. Throw in a cheap bottle of vino, and I'm in heaven. What can I say? I like what I like.

Are Americans a race? What are African Americans then? Hmm, this is new to me. Someone should have informed my mother's Native American ancestors.

I wouldn't, but not primarily because of the Concordia dissaster. I wouldn't sail Costa for the same reason I won't sail Princess again. Lots and lots of retirees. Not my cup of tea. The Concordia dissaster doesn't help matters I am appalled at what I read about it. Costa has a lot of explaining to do I think.

Surely this was said tongue in cheek? It sounds like something I'd say with a smile and a little twinkle in the eye! but I'm English and have a strange sense of humour!

I'd agree there is definitely a market for a cruise line for the continental non English speaking Europeans.... I just don't think it is Costa any more....

He was serious. I recognized him from the Marrakesh marketplace on an excursion where he was loudly complaining about the crowd after someone approached him too closely with a topless monkey in a sequined skirt. The monkey's owner was asking us all for a euro for a pic. I think the American was generally horrified by his surroundings whereas pretty much everyone else was enchanted. I have to concede though that the monkey was not tastefully dressed.

P.S. Several of the Europeans I talked to claimed Costa was not as great after Carnival took over. NOT THE CRUISE LINES!! but the parent company. I hope I did not miss its glory days. I'm game to sample more lines in Europe.

My wife and I sailed the same route on the Concordia in mid-December, and we both agree that we will happily book Costa again. We're both Pearl members (six Costa cruises so far), so our bonuses included Prosecco (here's to you, Kate!) and a fabulous pewter miniature of a ship that may never sail again.

I think we both look at the Costa experience as a way to sample a little more of Europe, and we both love that. Obviously many Americans feel otherwise, and there are other choices to better accommodate what they want. It is a holiday after all...

Unfortunately, the Carnival ownership has changed Costa and not for the better. We noticed more crew grumbling in December than we had before. Who knows? For anyone willing to give Costa a shot, I would recommend the Atlantica, which is the classic cruise experience for us.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to everyone involved in the tragedy.

BB

Would we sail with Costa again? Probably not. This is not as a result of the tragic Concordia episode, but our experience of two Costa cruises. To explain why, here are some sections of a review I submitted to a UK site in 2010:

"We liked the Serena a lot - our cabin was probably the best we have had in terms of space, design and decor. The public areas were spacious, bright and clean. The majority of passengers were French with large numbers of Italians and Russians (English speakers were a small minority), so be prepared for lengthy announcements in six languages.

Cabin staff were very good - attentive and polite - and kept the cabin spotless. We were disappointed with the behaviour of some staff eg crew that let a door go in the face of an approaching passenger; crew pushing in front of passengers in public areas; waiters 'play fighting' in the restaurant and almost knocking an elderly passenger over. These are things that we've never witnessed on other ships and highlighted a lack of attention to detail or poor staff training. Some of these events were witnessed by senior officers who were more concerned about their own appearance and importance......

Costa seem to have knack of creating chaos out of order - especially when it comes to tendering and disembarkation - if they can find a complicated and disorganised way of doing something, they do!

Overall, we had a good time and really enjoyed our pre-cruise stay in Venice, but given the cost of this cruise, Costa would not be our no. 1 choice - our choice was influenced by timing and itinerary."

I have never used Costa, but that is only because I have been so happy with Celebrity and RCL so far.

I don’t believe a whole cruise line should be tarred with the same feather just because of one rotten apple captain who made some terrible choices, though.

It’s the same with airlines - if one plane crashes, it certainly does not mean that it will happen over and over.

Everything in life carries some inherent risk. Either you take it, or you don’t. Nevertheless, my heart goes out to those who so needlessly lost their lives in this tragedy, which, really, should never have happened.

I am sailing again in March to the Western Caribbean on X.

I've sailed twice with Costa and probably will again, for very similar reasons to Kate. I'm British and happy to live in the UK, but when I go overseas, I want to feel like I'm overseas and not be surrounded by only English speakers and a style of service like home. Think the newer ships are a tad garish (carnival influence?) but everything else fits with me. They have some interesting itineraries and after all the praise that I hear for the Atlantica, fully intend sailing on her inn the next year or so.

Speaking for myself, not for all Americans, I would dislike being on a ship that makes announcements in 5 languages. Not because I dislike diversity or think everyone should speak English.....I simply do NOT want to hear that many announcements. I find the ones in English irritating enough, so I could imagine people would be annoyed to hear it five times over. Multiple translations of speeches & intros gets tiresome. Twice, maybe three, no problem...but more than that, fahgettaboudit!!!!!!!!!!

Concerning announcements in many languages. What I noted from my travels during my young adult years was that in European international airports it was almost impossible to hear the flight called in English because the non-English speakers were talking so loudly that we could not hear. Likewise, I am sure that once the English announcement was over we talked and obscured the announcement in say French or German. It works both ways!

Costa is the best cruise line we have sail with.

We would never go on Princess again, just personal choice worst cruise we have had.

Thomsons old ships, not enough deck space.

Azamara good cruise just very expensive.

Costa have a good selection of nationalities a plus to us not a minus, great service, good crew, great ports of call, great value for money and new ships.

I would never knock a cruise company without ever travelling with them, this is the worse thing that could happen at sea and feel very sorry for everyone involved, but my view it was down to one man and not the company.

I would like to mention one cruise company we travelled with saw the muster drill as a way of making money by taking photos of passengers in their life jackets and selling them'

Each to their own but I have not got any problem with Costa.

Sometimes you need to cull the whole herd if you get mad cow disease...

Mwedge ... I guess that will start at the Top of Carnival Corp then ?... :rolleyes:

It is suprising how many people have comments to make about Costa having never tried cruising with them, those that have tried them and comment fair enough.

Why do people who know the least know it the loudest ?

Sometimes you need to cull the whole herd if you get mad cow disease...

Mwedge ... I guess that will start at the Top of Carnival Corp then ?... :rolleyes:

It is suprising how many people have comments to make about Costa having never tried cruising with them, those that have tried them and comment fair enough.

Why do people who know the least know it the loudest ?

My analogy about cows was simply to contrast with yours about apples!

No need to get stroppy!

My sister is a travel agent and before this they refused to book Costa due to an agents cruise they took and past passengers complaints. When she deals with their res office they are rude and have a I don't care attitude. So they now refuse to book that line. just her experience not saying all have the same.

I apologize as I am guilty of not reading this entire thread but this caught my attention. I used to be a travel agent and yes I agree with your sister Costa was unreal to deal with followed by NCL. Keep in mind I left travel in '07 so maybe things have changed. But Costa's agents really were not customer service oriented. They even cancelled a client's cabin after I put deposit on it! Months later I called back and the room was gone turned out the women who took the deposit never charged it and the booking canceled. Of course the clients blamed me for it maybe they even posted on CC! Who knows but Costa really needed assistance at their res center.

I cruised Costa once and felt they were a European version of Carnival which is what they are. However Carnival is actually nicer IMO. Costa's food left a lot to be desired and service really lacked. Would I cruise them after this incident? I'm not sure they are not my 1st choice but possibly I would. I beleive this to be a freak accident caused by faulty management by the captain. However if I find it was more then the captain's fault I may choose not to sail them.

It really is so sad this event. I love cruises and it is sad to see how the media is fishing through the cruise industry to pick it apart. The cruise industry is by no means perfect. What vacation company or industry is not? I worked in travel for 10 years and I have heard of a lot of sad travel stories happening at all inclusives (regarding security issues) but none of that makes the news because all inclusives are not regulated like the cruise industry. In any event I am not making excuses for what happened on Friday. What happened was inexcusable.

I would not cruise with Costa again, not due to the accident or being worried it might happen again, but because I've done a cruise with them and realy disliked it. The dislike is not on the service, or food or some part that can be fixed and improved, it is on overall experiance beggining with a simple fact - I find their boats ugly and cheap.

I've been on Costa Serena and it looks like a huge ferry and straight away I cannot get a great cruise feeling. Smoking and preparing food in a closed pool area? The same area being in pure plastic, linoleum and plastic flowers in so many colours you just cannot put together? No thanks.

Food so mediocare, a caffeteria type buffets and massive charges on drinks and no possibility of free soft drinks (except water, but you need a compass to find it and if you do you can be happy if the machine works) - a big dislike.

Dislike also goes to top decks - all blue steel ferry style, not appealing at all to spend your time there.

Time in ports so short so you spend more time (and money) on board.

No feeling of ''pampered'' or at least taken care of at any time.

Passengers boarding in all ports (and then announcments for them and crew taking care of their questions and issues as we all have on the first day of the cruise - when you have same people for 7 days, on the second day they are already ''at home'' and the service can go to new levels) - this specially gives a feeling of a ferry ride, not being on a cruise.

And the price we payed for a cruise was not that low - we paid the same as in that period we used RC, Celebrity, MSC or similar at that time plus we did not have the circle cruise but got off in a different port so had extra expanses on transportation - therefore payed even more then taking another cruise line.

Those are the reasons are will most likley not choose Costa again. The accident can only strenghten the decision.

No way would I ever go back on a Costa cruise. Everyone is rude and pushy and the food was terrible. Costa stinks

Grumpy ... who was rude and pushy ? the crew certainly were not on our xmas cruise 2011 though many passengers were! some of the food was not great but the Majority was very good.

As for people cruising again thats like saying i will never fly again or cross the road or drive again!

Jazzy ... so if say a Carnival, Princess or RCI ship came to the same fate, i take you will not sail with them again either? as for the deck clours whats the problem? after all they are for walking on or using sun loungers not eating your Dinner off!

No way would I ever go back on a Costa cruise. Everyone is rude and pushy and the food was terrible. Costa stinks

Grumpy ... who was rude and pushy ? the crew certainly were not on our xmas cruise 2011 though many passengers were! some of the food was not great but the Majority was very good.

As for people cruising again thats like saying i will never fly again or cross the road or drive again!

Jazzy ... so if say a Carnival, Princess or RCI ship came to the same fate, i take you will not sail with them again either? as for the deck clours whats the problem? after all they are for walking on or using sun loungers not eating your Dinner off!

After a despicable customer service incident with United in 1989, I swore I'd never fly them again, and I haven't. But I have flown a million+ miles with other carriers--even when United offered cheaper fares.

And I have to agree with Jazzy, the blue decking is rather ugly, the ships I've been on have had teak decking.

Archived