Which would you do

Looking at possibly booking a December cruise, and I am down to two choices. Enchantment goes out on a five nighter and it is $719 per person for a balcony. However, for $897 per person, you can get a balcony on the Radiance for a 7 night cruise. The itinerary doesn't matter much to me, as long as I am somewhere in the Caribbean. So which would you do, a five night Enchantment or the more expensive, but longer 7 night Radiance???

We have gotten to the point where if we are going to pack up and travel thousands of miles somewhere to cruise, we are going to make it worth the hassle!! In fact, we have decided to only take cruises over 10 days in the future. The longer the better. (You might notice the exception to the rule in my upcoming cruise list.....a 7 day Grandeur cruise, so to satisfy our "make it worth the hassle" rule, we are going to spend a few days enjoying New Orleans afterwards) :D

the Radiance is a nicer ship IMHO.

Don't think that will necessarily be true once the Enchantment comes out of dry dock. She will then be considered a Raidance class ship. But with that said, I agree with the majority...the longer the better!

Don't think that will necessarily be true once the Enchantment comes out of dry dock. She will then be considered a Raidance class ship. But with that said, I agree with the majority...the longer the better!

Really? I wasn't aware it would be a Radiance class ship after dry dock. Are they redoing the centrum (atrium) area to look like those big and beautiful one's on Radiance ships??

MTS

Thanks for the input everyone. It seems to be a consensus to go on the Radiance. We were considering the Enchantment for monetary reasons because we just got off of the Mariner last week (and we have to pay that off before we go anywhere!). This will be a little different for us because our first two cruises were on the Navigator and Mariner; so we are use to the biggest ships. But from the pictures that I have seen of Radiance, it is not that much smaller.

p.s. - One of the reasons I was considering the Enchantment was the fact that it was getting lengthened and refurbished; I figured that it would be like a brand new ship after that!

if you are really looking at the price, then you will notice that the Enchantment @719 per person for 5 nights works out to $143.80 per night, where as the Radiance @ 897 per person works out to be 128.14 per night. Since the Radiance is cheaper per night it is a better value, and any time in the carribean is better than a day at work.

It's all in how you justify it!!:)

Ordinarily I would concur with the majority and recommend the Radiance because it is a Radiance class ship, which is my favorite class, and because it is both longer and has a lower per diem rate. However, because the Enchantment is being stretched and will have a number of innovative features added to it, I might be tempted to check it out. After its renovations, it will NOT be a Radiance class ship, but it should be an interesting and freshly refurbished ship. I suspect that if the stretching is successful and proves popular, we may see the Grandeur and perhaps a few other Vision class ships undergo similar treatment. It is cheaper and takes less time than building an entirely new ship. Enchantment will be in Boston after its stretch and we can't wait to see her.

it will NOT be a Radiance class ship, but it should be an interesting and freshly refurbished ship.

Actually the Radiance classification statement came from the Captain on my Sept '03. He mentioned the Enchantment will be stretched and 'considered' Radiance class, although she will be longer than the current Radiance class ships. She will also have a number of inovations that the current class does not. It's sort of like Mariner and Navigator differ from the ealier Voyager class.

Actually the Radiance classification statement came from the Captain on my Sept '03. He mentioned the Enchantment will be stretched and 'considered' Radiance class, although she will be longer than the current Radiance class ships. She will also have a number of inovations that the current class does not. It's sort of like Mariner and Navigator differ from the ealier Voyager class.

Anyhow a Vision class ship can never become a Radiance class ship.

Ship classes are based on that the main superstructure of the ship are build the same. Even if there are adjustments made like in between ships of the Voyager class. I.E. different balcony structure.

Even after stretching the Enchantment it can´t become Radiance class because it´s a complete different superstructure.

Maybe it becomes closer to the Radiance class in measurment and some features maybe the same but it´s still not Radiance class. Probably it won´t fit into any class anymore after the stretching.

Really? I wasn't aware it would be a Radiance class ship after dry dock. Are they redoing the centrum (atrium) area to look like those big and beautiful one's on Radiance ships??

MTS

BTW the Vision class ships also have an atrium from deck 4 to the top.

And (but that´s just my opinion) the Artrium is even nicer on Vision class as it has great views of the Ocean on both sides of the Centrum and not only on one side like on the Radiance class.

Archived