Serenade of the Seas, January 21 - 28, 2012 "Live" from....or "Almost Live"....or ??

Here was our view on the way to the Serenade before doing yesterday afternoon's posts.

photo-vi.jpg[/url]

After making our posts, we went back to the cabin and refreshed ourselves with showers and prepared for sailaway. There was a sailaway event for suite guests on the helipad and we could hear the sax player from our cabin. As we sailed away we snacked on the Marky's caviar and club crackers that we brought with us. They were quite yummy and a nice time was had.

And then it was time to wave farewell to St. John's, Antigua - Until we call again!

photo1-vi.jpg

Our customary time of departure and expected arrival for the evening Diamond Event came at 7 PM. We were delighted when Michael came back from break. We had a delightful visit with this young man who is the same age as our son. Michael is planning marriage as he finishes his contract and returns home to the Philippines to be united in holy marriage to his fiancé. He forecast the weather for St. Croix as rainy and windy. He was partly correct as it turned out. There were plenty of rain showers, but sun was quite prevalent for the major part of the day. The breeze was welcome.

photo-vi.jpg

Then it was time to head off to dinner! Assistant waiter, Juan Mata serves me FIVE Savory Bites every evening. That is my favorite dinner roll on an RCI cruise!

photo1-vi.jpg[/url]

I think the Wadadli's must have really affected me as I forgot to take picture of my appetizer of Shrimp Cocktail. I asked for a second and did take the photo, but a shrimp cocktail is a shrimp cocktail.

The time passed as we awaited the entree of Shrimp and Mahi Mahi Tempura. AGAIN....WHAT WAS WRONG!!!!!????? I had the entree half eaten when a look of desperation combined with exasperation came over my countenance. Barbara started laughing as she already knew what I had just realizeed.

Thankfully our waiter Sachin was so very kind when I told him of my second dilemma of the evening and that I could not eat another entree volunteered to take a picture. OFF HE ZOOMED with my camera and took this very nice picture of the entree in the galley. He also got a picture of all the laughing and smiling chefs. I bet I am the talk of the waiters and galley over this one!

photo2-vi.jpg

Dessert was my all time comfort dessert on a ship....KEY LIME PIE! No wonder Kenny Chesney sings about Key Lime Pie....it is a slice of heaven on a plate!

Then Sachin, being so very pleased I allowed him to use my camera also brought the chocolate cake as well. It paled in comparison to the pie, but it was still very nice.

Dessert Pics

photo-vi.jpg

photo1-vi.jpg

Time to head to rest for the soon to be dawning new day and a call upon Frederickstad, St. Croix!

Then it was time to head off to dinner! Assistant waiter, Juan Mata serves me FIVE Savory Bites every evening. That is my favorite dinner roll on an RCI cruise!

photo1-vi.jpg

My husband also loves the savory bites and has at least 5 !! I love the round crusty rolls........yum !!

Dee

Good Morning St. Croix!

photo-vi.jpg[/url]

After the expert forecast of the morning by Michael, referenced and pictured earlier, the rain gave way to a brilliant rainbow!

photo-vi.jpg

How much better can it be than to discover your ship at the end of the rainbow where dreams really do come true!

photo-vi.jpg

We walked this boardwalk (stonewalk) and there are all kinds of shells washed up to the wall by the waves! I think the shells will be new pc wallpaper at home.

photo3-vi.jpg

photo1-vi.jpg

General sights we beheld while exploring this village on our own. We do like to find churches and we hit the jackpot of FIVE today. I include a few pictures of them later on, hopefully if I am more successful in uploading the pics.

We came across an egret rookery complete with nests on the way to the church visitation.

photo-vi.jpg[/url]

photo2-vi.jpg

photo2-vi.jpg

We caught the last end of worship at St. Paul's Episcopal Church.

We came across Lutheran, Moravian, and Seventh Day Adventist before we concluded our visits of churches with the Roman Catholic chapel.

photo-vi.jpg

photo2-vi.jpg

photo3-vi.jpg

Our view of Serenade while I make these couple posts over a Wadadli at the Harbour View Bar and Grill. I do not recommend this place as it is smelly!

But the view and the free wifi was nice over a couple cold ones.:D

photo-vi.jpg

Spectacular photo!

Loving every minute of this, thanks

photo-vi.jpg[/url]

After our morning excursion on foot, we had worked up quite a thirst. We stopped at Napoleon's Pizza on Hill St. for a couple bottles of water and of course....

A BEVERAGE!!!!! Carlsberg Elephant. It was pleasantly refreshing. Not wanting to eat pizza, it was still VERY DIFFICULT to not have a slice. They are HUGE and as the picture will hopefully show....very tasty looking. If you are in the mood for some handmade pizza...try out Napoleon's Pizza on Hill St. It is just a half a block off the waterfront from the Veteran's Park statues.

photo1-vi.jpg

photo4-vi.jpg

Two doors down from Napoleon's at the corner of King and Hill streets rests La Simpatia

restaurant. Some local worshippers from St. Paul' Episcopal recommended it and one of the ladies that did so was a chef! THANK YOU!! Betty and Claude for your recommendation.

The building was a storehouse from the 1700's. To top it off, it was also air conditioned and the waitress was helpful in turning down the music so we could visit.

photo-vi.jpg[/url]

photo3-vi.jpg

photo-vi.jpg

We had the conch in butter sauce with seasoned rice and beans along with Mofungo. It was VERY GOOD and though not busy, it had a steady stream of local folks getting food.

photo1-vi.jpg

It is now time to continue the cruise and get ready for sailaway to bid farewell to St. Croix as we make our way to the last port of call in St. Thomas.

Tonight is Formal Night and also the Top Tier event at 7:45 PM to be followed by our evening dinner

Again, thanks to all who are sailing virtually with us. I hope you have enjoyed the ride as much as I have doing the daily log!

I am SO sorry to hear about your husband. I hope one day you'll sail the Serenade in the Southern Caribbean and take him along "in spirit."

Thanks so much. When we originally cancelled, we re-booked for early next December on the Brilliance, but will have to cancel that as well as soon as I can bring myself to do it.

It was time to bid St. Croix farewell and we departed with fond memories of our visit here.

photo-vi.jpg[/url]

See you next time!

As the ship made it's turn there was a beautiful photo op of the sun setting in the clouds.

photo-vi.jpg

The Top Tier event featured this ice and fruit carving.

photo-vi.jpg

To be frank, I was quite disappointed in the event as there really was not much to distinguish it from the normal welcome back event. The exceptions would be a dance exhibition and one finger horsdourve served.

That said the carving was beautiful.

For dinner we had the Mushroom Puff pastry and I had prime rib with shrimp on the side and Barbara had the lobster and shrimp.

photo-vi.jpg

Our waiter, Sachin, made up tremendously for what was a very frustrating evening from the disappointment of the Top Tier event and then having to wait since we were late for our MTD reservation. We were going to switch the time, but were told not to worry about it. I don't think changing time would have really done anything for us anyway.

THANK YOU SACHIN FOR RESCUING THE DINNER AND EVENING! I will never forget your kindness and your spirit on this evening.

For dessert, I had the Dessert Sampler Medley which had the flourless chocolate cake as its centerpiece.

photo-vi.jpg

photo-vi.jpg[/url]

The tram ride was $21. DO NOT purchase the package for a Bushwaker and tram trip for $28 as the Bushwacker was only $6.50.

Here are the requisite views.

photo1-vi.jpg

photo1-vi.jpg

Barbara is enjoying the view while I entertain myself taking pictures of the view! Thank you Sweetie!

photo2-vi.jpg

Upon coming down the tram we wandered Havensight for a bit. We heard there was wifi at Hooters but did not go to find out. We were told you could pick up wifi about anywhere in the area, but was not successful. Havensight Cafe charges for wifi so I did not use it there.

We enjoyed a bucket of Carib's at Havensight Cafe and not being too hungry we passed on the Roti.

We did the terrible job of packing up our stuff. Then it was time to the pool deck to enjoy the music and post.

While there the word about the bus accident came around. We have heard of two dead, but then our bar server said he had heard only one. St. Thomas news was still only reporting two badly injured of the 13 injured. We pray for their best as they are apparently from the Serenade.

As we wind down, I may be able to post during our 5 hour layover in Dallas tomorrow with evening pictures and departure.

Upon return home, I will do more ship pictures, menus, compasses and the daily shopping map.

Again thanks to everyone for following along. Hope you enjoyed it! Thanks also for the kind comments and encouragement.

I hope to burn the rest of my wifi time before getting ready for dinner with picture posts of some other shots.

My Deck 11 Starboard posting perch where we were expertly served by bar staff, Silbert! We enjoyed remembering him from Explorer! Silbert is extremely effusive in personality and a very efficient server who takes delight in his handiwork as the pictures show.

photo3-vi.jpg[/url]

photo5-vi.jpg

photo4-vi.jpg

A STANDING OVATION FOR THIS MAN!

Archived