Serenade of the Seas, January 21 - 28, 2012 "Live" from....or "Almost Live"....or ??

Havanadreaming - so glad you are enjoying your time. Looks like the weather has been pretty good! Are you using your ipad for pictures? They look so clear. Thanks so much!

Yes I am!

I have an extenal keypad that makes the text part so much nicer.

I am using PhotoPad by ZAGG to do cropping and any type of minor tweaking to the photos. Otherwise that is pretty much it....I am emailing the pics to my account on Fotki....using the "share" option there and getting the code for the CC board.

Hope that is helpful....it really is not that bad once you get the hang of it.

Antigua is filled with free wifi spots also!

I am enjoying a Wadadli and uploading pictures at the moment.

Also thank you for the kind compliment!

Havana DaydreaminHavana Daydreamin - What camera are you using for these photos? How hard is it to get them uploaded for these posts?

I am using a Canon EOS60D...it is not difficult to upload at all. Sometimes, there is a glitch on ship, but it has been working quite well. Hoping to do a bunch over lunch on Antigua today.

I just plug my camera into the iPad photo adapter and download selected ones to post.

Hope this helps.

Here is the kind staff of Serenade getting all things placed for eager passengers to begin their day ashore!

photo-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

AND THEY'RE OFF! Look at the happy cruisers ready to start the day ashore!

photo1-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

photo3-vi.jpg[/url]

A very nice drum band was playing on the pier. I wish they would have had cd's because they also were quite talented and the sounds were very good!

photo2-vi.jpg

photo2-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

This is the view past the welcome sign.

photo-vi.jpg[/url]

And here are the HAPPY PEOPLE having successfully navigated the taxi driver infested street offering very special tour and excellent prices for today only. "Let me tell you what I have to offer you today!"

Actually, they were very kind and easy to navigate past.

photo4-vi.jpg

They all escaped or went on tours!

photo3-vi.jpg

There are three places very close to the ship that offer free wifi. This was very beneficial to upload all these pictures and then to cut and paste the forum code for an easy write in this blog.

Of course, I felt duty bound to have a Wadadli or two to repay the favor.

photo2-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

We are sitting on the pool deck midship in the shaded area where I am enjoying a Red Stripe and Barbara is enjoying a Mango Tango.

I also am being delighted by the fine taste and aroma La Reloba with a Sumatra wrapper.

We really enjoyed our day off ship. We were only disappointed not to find a place to have local food that we were willing to take a chance on. The menus around the ship area where the cleaner restaurants were offered burgers, etc. Not what we were looking for. I

I am sure that IF I would have gone further in a taxi we could have come up with some good fare. Oh well, another time.

An island tour is on deck the next time we are here. Antigua is an exceedingly beautiful island with much to offer for scenic vistas.

Our day consisted of spotting a massive cathedral within walking distance. So off we went, but it was closed and being rennovated. It had sustained extreme damage maybe due to weather or neglect over the years. It would take massive amount of dollars to maintain this facility. As we could not go inside, we took a variety of angles.

The images speak for themselves here.

photo-vi.jpg[/url]

photo5-vi.jpg

photo1-vi.jpg

photo1-vi.jpg

photo5-vi.jpg

We made our way from the church and ran across a nice book store that had maps. Much to our DELIGHT, they had a nice parchment paper map of the Caribbean that will now have a home matted and framed in our home back in Kansas.

The store had a variety of books and children's toys. It is about a block up the hill from Recliffe and Thames.

photo-vi.jpg[/url]

YAHOO!!!!! The pool band is getting set to perform. They are known as Men of Culture and they also have much class!

We enjoyed the Seaview Cafe upon return to the Serenade with a very fine Grouper Salad and a Cuban Sandwich. The Grouper Salad is NOT TO BE MISSED!

The following is a local general store that caught my interest along with the historic stone walkways and colorful doors of this liquor store.

photo2-vi.jpg

photo3-vi.jpg

After last posting, we packed ourselves and the camera and ventured onto the other direction of Ashford.

Our Mission: To find where we would be dining this evening.

We saw many interesting places but since we had our hearts set on PR food, we passed by Argentinian grill, pizza places, Mediterranean style food, Italian food, and a whole host of fast food shops that we can eat at back home in a pinch.

When it had become clear that we had reached an apparent end to the restaurant scene for Foodies on Foot we sat down on a bench to watch the world go by and plan our next move. We had observed a Cafe Del Angel earlier today and on the "recommendation" of Host Faith in her Serenade review, we decided to venture back the other direction.

BOY ARE WE GLAD WE DID! The business is clean and everyone pleasant. It is not cheaply priced, but neither extravagant in cost. Of course, we had to quench the thirst that we worked up once again!

[/url]

We decided upon an appetizer that sounded interesting. It is Sweet Plantain Balls stuffed with crab. While there was not a huge helping of crab, it was quite tasty.

And while our waiter, Christopher, served us this appetizer he also assisted in ably answering our questions as we narrowed down our selections for food. DW ordered Angel's Puerto Rican Combination which is pictured next with Roast Pork, Rice & Pigeon Peas, fried sweet plantains and a pastel (the tamale looking item) She liked it all except the texture of the pastel was softer than anticipated and she was getting filled up. We probably should have walked further!!! :D

As a lamb junkie, I ordered Leg of Lamb in criolle sauce (a tangy carrot and tomato sauce). Christopher was quite pleased at this order and how deftly it succumbed to the skilled handling of my knife and fork. Since we were in public, gnawing on the bone was out of the question! LOL

We are currently enjoying Madalla Light on a patio at the hotel with a Montecristo Reserva Negra. It is splendid. There are some type of frogs called Couqui's singing in the darkness. They are very entertaining to listen to.

Up for tomorrow is old San Juan. Of course the forts are a must. I will most likely only post a shot or two there as there are plentiful shots of these historic sites. Of course, there will be the required food stops and libation delivery systems will be tested.

We have seen the Cathedral, but have another house of God on the horizon not far that we hope to take in. We are sure to be tired tomorrow.

Blessings to everyone's evening and thank you for checking in with us!

PS...I also like the larger pictures, so will hope to get back to them...at least while I have a good connection!

Hi there! I'm just catching up on this review and I'm so happy you enjoyed Cafe de Angel! Just wanted to say hi and I'm enjoying your live review. Happy sailing! :)

Great photos! What lenses are you using?

I am using a Canon 18-55 IS and a Canon 18-135 IS there might be another letter or two but they are serving me well. I also have on occasion used the 75-300 but not very often. Most of them are the 18 - 135 for off ship and the 18-55 for onboard

Hi there! I'm just catching up on this review and I'm so happy you enjoyed Cafe de Angel! Just wanted to say hi and I'm enjoying your live review. Happy sailing! :)

Thanks...we DID really enjoy the Cafe de Angel! We have actually really had some great food...today included in Frederickstad, St. Croix...that will be posted later.

On to the last night farewell and activity.

Archived