Dramanine vs. Gravol - where to find in Canada

gloandcharlie

I have heard that it is the best for sea sickness...does gravol work the same....cannot find in Canada...does gravol work the same or is it better to use dramanine...can alway check out U.S. stores before boarding...

If you haven't tried using Bonine, it is widely accepted as being very effective with few side effects, and doesn't make most people drowsy as dramamine does. The chemical in Bonine is meclizene, and can be purchased in most stores under the Rugby brand name (less costly than Bonine).

Also, on most cruise ships, you can get meclizene from the front desk at no cost if you ask for it.

I have heard that it is the best for sea sickness...does gravol work the same....cannot find in Canada...does gravol work the same or is it better to use dramanine...can alway check out U.S. stores before boarding...

Gravol with ginger works but in Canada (not sure where you live in Canada) you will find Bonamine rather then Dramanine. You can get this without a prescription and I understand you can get it at Zehrs or Walmart or Shoppers Drug Mart.

thanks all.... I bought the ginger gravol to start....should we run out i will go to the desk for more....thought that they charged a fortune for it on the ship....didnt know that there was not a cost. Why should there be...it is easier on them if the passengers are not throwing up all over the place!

Gravol with ginger works but in Canada (not sure where you live in Canada) you will find Bonamine rather then Dramanine. You can get this without a prescription and I understand you can get it at Zehrs or Walmart or Shoppers Drug Mart.

Can't get in central Canada unless you have a prescription not sure why but all of a sudden about 3 years ago poof.. gone..I use bonine from the US or the patches you can get OTC here..

I use ginger pills and sea bands. I find that bonine and dramamine, both, make me groggy and blah feeling. But, regardless of what I like, you can get meds at drug stores inthe US (not sure what Gravol is). The ginger pills I had to order off the internet...could not find in any drug store.

My daughter suffers severely from motion sickness and uses the Transderm V patch, it works great. She uses 12 hour gravol on day 7 of the cruise as the patches are only good for 6 days total. Sea bands didn't do a thing for her. It's nice to not have to worry about forgeting to take pills, it might be too late by the time you remember to take them.

Small correction. Bonamine USED to be available in Canada but is no longer. It is still available with a Rx as Meclizine.

You can still find it in the US pharmacy called Bonine.

Bonine / Meclizine is non drowsy. Gravol (regular) will knock you out so if you take it at night, you're OK.

Never tried the Ginger Gravol...

We have found that Bonine works the best (at least for us) and does not make you tired. We take one each day and it last for 24hours. If you are close to the border I suggest you head stateside and pick some up or stop at a drug store before the cruise and get some.

Can't get in central Canada unless you have a prescription not sure why but all of a sudden about 3 years ago poof.. gone..I use bonine from the US or the patches you can get OTC here..

Are you talking about Ginger Gravol not being available in Central Canada or Meclizine?

Just to clarify what the Gravol Ginger is... Gravol is the brand name and therfore the Gravol Ginger is just ginger pills made under that brand. This is directly from my pharmacist. (Think of the old gingerale for an upset stomach remedy)

We go to a drugstore in the States and purchase the less drowsy, 24 hour tablets, usually just a store brand.

My daughter suffers severely from motion sickness and uses the Transderm V patch, it works great. She uses 12 hour gravol on day 7 of the cruise as the patches are only good for 6 days total. Sea bands didn't do a thing for her. It's nice to not have to worry about forgeting to take pills, it might be too late by the time you remember to take them.

Exactly! If you know you are sea sick prone,as my wife is, go with the patch. Works great.

BTW- No prescription needed here in Canada.

Archived