Royal Caribbean Cruise Delayed Due to Medical Emergency

LauraS

Royal Caribbean spokeswoman Cynthia Martinez is quoted as saying: "We wanted to put the notice on our website and on social media as soon as possible, to let affected guests know in advance."

Note that no mention is made of any attempt to contact passengers directly. RCI can and does contact me repeatedly offering Spa Treatments, Specialty Restaurants, etc for an upcoming cruise. It has been noted in the past [and nothing stated by the spokesperson indicates that this case will be any different] that RCI made no attempt to contact passengers directly concerning schedule changes.

For the record, I concur with the itinerary deviation to expedite medical treatment.

Thom

But if you read the thread someone posted, passengers on the following sailing reported they have already received calls from RCCL about the delay. Don't be so quick to assume the worst about RCCL.

I received two automated calls from RCI with updates today before 13:00, also an email with the revised departure time.
I'm glad to hear this. When Hurricane Irene hit San Juan 21 Aug 2011, Splendor of the Seas had to depart the port ahead of schedule for the start of its cruise. There were a number of reports that RCI made no attempt to contact passengers, and there were passengers in San Juan who could had made the ship if they had been notified by cell phone or email.

Thom

Royal Caribbean spokeswoman Cynthia Martinez is quoted as saying: "We wanted to put the notice on our website and on social media as soon as possible, to let affected guests know in advance."

Note that no mention is made of any attempt to contact passengers directly. RCI can and does contact me repeatedly offering Spa Treatments, Specialty Restaurants, etc for an upcoming cruise. It has been noted in the past [and nothing stated by the spokesperson indicates that this case will be any different] that RCI made no attempt to contact passengers directly concerning schedule changes.

For the record, I concur with the itinerary deviation to expedite medical treatment.

Thom

RC has indeed contacted and phoned passengers about this cruise...:rolleyes::)

Thom

It is a whole lot different to contact all passengers than the relative few who with spa appointments and dinner requests.

It is a whole lot different to contact all passengers than the relative few who with spa appointments and dinner requests.
I guess you missed the part were I said RCI was OFFERING Spa treatments and Specialty dining. They were presumably contacting EVERY passenger. I did NOT have a Spa appointment [indeed I have NEVER had a spa appointment with them or anyone else] nor did I have a dinner reservation - these contacts were attempts to SELL me something.

Oh, that's right, they already had the money of the people they left in San Juan:(

Thom

It is reassuring to know that the medical team is willing to make that call.

There were 2 emergency medical incidents on our Explorer cruise this past September. One of those required a return to Bayonne the first evening. Believe it or not, I heard several people complain about a possible delay in arriving at our destination:eek:. Whatever the inconvenience for the other passengers, it does not compare to what the patient is having to deal with.

I am on the explorer as of this posting.

Yesterday was such a strange day for sure.

We change course at 3am ast.

The announcement came from our " NEW CAPTAIN ". @ 8am

We were later told that the original captain went on vacation , that just seems strange.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Yesterday was such a strange day for sure.

We change course at 3am ast.

The announcement came from our " NEW CAPTAIN ". @ 8am

We were later told that the original captain went on vacation , that just seems strange.

George, were they able to get the individual transported off?

Yes, Patti

We were told HE made it to surgery and is expected to do fine.

Originally it was two people and we were going all the way back to San Juan, we are not totally sure of her out come.

Thom

But if you read the thread someone posted, passengers on the following sailing reported they have already received calls from RCCL about the delay. Don't be so quick to assume the worst about RCCL.

I received two automated calls from RCI with updates today before 13:00, also an email with the revised departure time.

I guess you pulled the trigger a little too early on that comment. Nothing worse than having premature condemnation especially when your wrong.:rolleyes:

It's not uncommon for crew member as well as officers to board at almost any port depending on the vacation or contract expiration. About 4 years ago, I was in RCCL corporate office for a business meeting and saw a demonstration on their crew tracking system. Think about tracking thousands of contracts onboarding and offboarding with all the travel reservations booked and communicated individually.

It is reassuring to know that the medical team is willing to make that call.

There were 2 emergency medical incidents on our Explorer cruise this past September. One of those required a return to Bayonne the first evening. Believe it or not, I heard several people complain about a possible delay in arriving at our destination:eek:. Whatever the inconvenience for the other passengers, it does not compare to what the patient is having to deal with.

I was on that cruise too and amazingly he got us to Bermuda only an hour or so late. The funniest thing was some people didn't even know we turned around even though the captain made an announcement.

Yes, Patti

We were told HE made it to surgery and is expected to do fine.

Originally it was two people and we were going all the way back to San Juan, we are not totally sure of her out come.

Oh that's great news and hopefully the second person taken off was just as fortunate.

Can you tell us who the Captain was when you started and who the Captain is now that you will be leaving?

Have a safe drive home. Weather is kind of yucky!!

patty i think on Empress' blog she mentioned Thor and henrick....Thor left and Heinrick came back...

Capt Olav had joined the ship November 5th...so perhaps Capt Thor (tore?) was filling in between the 2 normal captains? I think he was our fill in captain when the EX had the prop incident a couple years back..he was between the captain who was on the ship at the time, and Capt Ryan coming back a few days early from vacation.....

I guess you pulled the trigger a little too early on that comment. Nothing worse than having premature condemnation especially when your wrong.:rolleyes:
SPDBigG: Please identify where I stated anything that was incorrect.

As I stated, RCI has been guilty in the past of not notifying passengers in a timely manner despite RCI's ability to deliver sales messages. I did NOT say that RCI had not contacted passengers in this case here, but pointed out that the announcement quoted made no mention of directly notifying passengers. AND very shortly after it was noted that RCI had notified passengers this time (and 20 hours prior to your claim that "your [sic] wrong"), I said that I was glad to hear that RCI had notified passengers this time. I also, in my first post, commended RCI for deviating the itinerary for medical reasons.

I was on that cruise too and amazingly he got us to Bermuda only an hour or so late. The funniest thing was some people didn't even know we turned around even though the captain made an announcement.

Amazing isn't it? Same thing happened a few years ago on the Serenade when we had to turn back to Honolulu. At 6 pm It was announced we indeed had turned around and that the helicopter would meet us at 6 am. When the helicopter came, the people in the gym didn't even know we had turned around....18 hours ago! :eek:

Hope the individual taken off is doing OK.

Amazing isn't it? Same thing happened a few years ago on the Serenade when we had to turn back to Honolulu. At 6 pm It was announced we indeed had turned around and that the helicopter would meet us at 6 am. When the helicopter came, the people in the gym didn't even know we had turned around....18 hours ago! :eek:

Hope the individual taken off is doing OK.

ha! I spoke to someone the next morning saying can you believe we had to turn around, but he told us that we'd be only an hour late. They were like we turned around??!!

I didn't realize when we turned around, but we were standing waiting for the doors to be open for dinner and everyone around me felt something strange. And when we sat down for dinner the captain came on and made the announcement that we had to return to Bayonne to remove a ill passenger. He explained that we would go full speed to Bayonne, and than on to Bermuda. I didn't have any issue with the speed, but some people said they felt a lot more swaying that normal.

Archived