RCI Price Drop Question

RPD

My wife and I are booked on the Oasis for March 17th. We booked through a travel agent and are paid in full. Our cabin (D7, deck 11) has decreased by $150 per person. I called our travel agent (who called RCI) and the only upgrade option that's available is to a D8 on the deck 11, which isn't much of an upgrade.

I would love to have the $300 back as an onboard ship credit, but my travel agent tells me that RCI has a relatively new policy where they don't refund the difference back as an onboard ship credit. Instead, the difference can only be used toward an upgrade if I'm willing to pay for one. Has anyone heard of this before? Seems a little unfair that I could get the same category for $150 pp cheaper if I were booking the cruise for the first time today.

Edit: fixed by editing out our travel agent.

we are not allowed to mention TAs on CC and you managed to do it 3 times...perhaps you can go edit it out?

and the rules say that after final payment is made, you can't get any OBC nor refund, you can only upgrade... not that new...and not unfair....they're running a business and they want to fill their ships..

you can always wait until after final payment to book but you run the risk of not getting what you want...

My wife and I are booked on the Oasis for March 17th. We booked through a travel agent and are paid in full. Our cabin (D7, deck 11) has decreased by $150 per person. I called our travel agent (who called RCI) and the only upgrade option that's available is to a D8 on the deck 11, which isn't much of an upgrade.

I would love to have the $300 back as an onboard ship credit, but my travel agent tells me that RCI has a relatively new policy where they don't refund the difference back as an onboard ship credit. Instead, the difference can only be used toward an upgrade if I'm willing to pay for one. Has anyone heard of this before? Seems a little unfair that I could get the same category for $150 pp cheaper if I were booking the cruise for the first time today.

It's not unfair at all. If your cruise price went up, which is usually the case would you call RC and say oh by the way heres 300.00 more for my cruise????:rolleyes:

Unfortunately, cruise lines have taken the same business practice as airlines. Once you book your airline ticket you don't get any refunds if the fare should drop. :(

Don't take it out on your TA. They have no control.

It's nice to get an upgrade if it makes sense for you, but again, unfortunately, the availability of higher categories does not always give you that opportunity. I sometimes don't take an upgrade because I'm particular as to where my cabin is located and the upgrade may put me under a public venue or next to supply closets where there will be noise.

I know it kind of leaves a bad taste in your mouth but try to forget about that part and enjoy your cruise!:)

The new pricing policy has been in effect since May 17, 2010. You get any all price reductions up until final payment. After final payment you can request an upgrade if a higher cabin category is priced lower than what you paid for your cabin.

If you booked your cruise after final payment date then you have a 48 hour window to take advantage of any price reductions if they occur.

Unfortunately, cruise lines have taken the same business practice as airlines. Once you book your airline ticket you don't get any refunds if the fare should drop. :(

That's not the case with all airlines (JetBlue will issue a credit if your fare drops). I wonder if there are other cruise lines that will honor a price drop?

I can understand that others being able to pay less is frustrating, but that is the way that cruise bookings work. Those that book early get choice of cabin, can book hotel/airfare, etc and watch for price drops up until final payment (where they could just cancel and rebook for the lower price). After that, the line is simply trying to get more people on the ship. Those that can wait until "last minute" bookings can sometimes benefit, but ... if you wait, the cruise could also sell out, airfare could be higher if you have to fly, etc.

This has probably been posted somewhere before, but I find that the RCI "Best Price Guarantee" wording is purposely vague and misleading. While it says that you have "48 hours" to find a better price, in my experience that time limit only applies if you book in the "penalty" period (after final payment date). We've routinely been able to get price drops applied right up to final payment date - even for cruises we booked months earlier. For example, while on a MN cruise in October, we booked FOS for next NYE. Right after we got back from this year's NYE cruise on Jewel, we noticed that the price on the FOS cruise dropped by $150/pp. When I called C&A, they immediaterly credited us with the price drop.:)

My cruise dropped almost $700.00 and I have already made final payment. Spoke with RCL today and all they could upgrade was two floors up, basically in the same category. While I fully understand policies and procedures, as well as the cruise lines wanting to make money, it still seems unfair that you cannot get any reprieve after final payment (other than upgrade). If it were just a few hundred dollars that is one thing, but 700.00 is alot of coin. I guess what I am saying is that it seems like you are penalized for early booking. IMHO they should have lower rates on the front end, then raise rates as the cruise gets closer to sail date to fill cruises up more quickly. I know...such is life..but doesnt mean I have to like it! I will still thouroughly enjoy my cruise..just venting...

Can someone correct me if I am wrong, (like that wouldn't happen on CC) but, I thought the policy was after the date of the final payment. Not once the final payment has been made. In other words, if you pay everything off in advance of the final payment date you are still entitled to the reduction, until the final payment date passes. I don't think it matters for the OP's question, but I usually pay early and I didn't think that was an issue in this case.

This happened to us on the Navigator of the Seas last March. Price went down after final payment and all we could do is move up to a D1 category. This happened to be worse than what we had originally. Seeing we were on the deck next to the suites our cabin had a small problem. We had a choice. We could either watch TV at night or read but not both. If we wanted to see the TV they would move the beds to the other side of the room but then we we could not have lights. Interesting but we finally resolved the matter and let the room as it was. We have reading lights and moved our bodies to the end of the bed to watch TV. So much for the upgrade. Wish we had stayed where we were with no upgrade. Live and learn. Cabin with balcony was the same size we had booked and only a few decks higher. Not an improvement. Wish we had the $150.00

Can someone correct me if I am wrong, (like that wouldn't happen on CC) but, I thought the policy was after the date of the final payment. Not once the final payment has been made. In other words, if you pay everything off in advance of the final payment date you are still entitled to the reduction, until the final payment date passes. I don't think it matters for the OP's question, but I usually pay early and I didn't think that was an issue in this case.

You are correct. Final payment date is the date set forth by RCI.

cigar king...as patti said, yes...once the DATE for Final Payment passes, no refunds..BUT if you pay in full BEFORE that date, you can still get OBC.

(that's how i wound up with 800 bucks OBC on EX in November..i'd paid about 3-ish weeks before, and then right after that, but BEFORE the date that final was due, there were price drops on many categories, 2 weekends in a row...wound up with an upgrade (to a bigger balcony cabin) and a nice chunk of change...

that only happened for me 1 other time....

yes it stinks that you can't get money back after the date passes but it's the same on all lines i believe...it's all about yield management.....

IME airlines like jetBlue and Southwest won't give you a refund, just credit that will eventually expire.....

I just want to say that it doesn't matter what the policy is or if the CC crazies say you're wrong...I think it sucks when that happens. I feel for you. That's all :)

Since price drops seem to be very rare after the final payment has been made I also feel that an On Board Credit should be given.

$$$$$$!!!

How do you answer to the shareholders?

Unless you can make the case that it would translate to future sales and repeat customers. But if you want that, you should give future cruise credit.

$$$$$$!!!

How do you answer to the shareholders?

Unless you can make the case that it would translate to future sales and repeat customers. But if you want that, you should give future cruise credit.

You made my case......I would settle for "Future Cruise Credit" or "On Board Credit"

That's not the case with all airlines (JetBlue will issue a credit if your fare drops). I wonder if there are other cruise lines that will honor a price drop?

Now that I think about it....Carnival offers "price protection". It's got so many Ts&Cs that it's quite the challenge. You have to use a specific type of pricing code and you don't get your deposit back if you cancel, and you can't make any changes or you will be charged $50 change fee, and the difference in the price will be an OBC. And if it's Tuesday and it's raining it will be one thing but if the sun is shining it's another. LOL :eek:

Give me RCI's policies any day. I agree it's not easy to swallow a price difference but at least I'm always confident I will get what I paid for when I board an RCI ship. :D

Give me RCI's policies any day. I agree it's not easy to swallow a price difference but at least I'm always confident I will get what I paid for when I board an RCI ship. :D

Agreed.......this is one of the reasons we have yet to try another Cruise Line......Loyal to Royal!

FWIW, I have never had the price drop. Prices just keep going up. OTOH, I feel for anyone in this position. Where I usually see this is electronics. You buy something, like a flat screen, and a couple months later you look and the price has fallen dramatically. It bites. What I do to avoid indigestion is I only buy things that I am comfortable with the price I pay. Then I don't care. I was happy when I bought it, and if the price falls, I'm still happy. How could I ever buy a car if I worried about the price falling?

Archived