Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

The party may have ended but you still and will always speak English.

Nuff said icon7.gif

I speak American and prefer the John Wayne Dialect. :p

I'm glad I don't have to decide which UK version of English to speak: Oxford, London, Cockney, Welsh, Scottish lowlands or highlands, etc. :eek:

One question -- why????

I dunno. :confused: I haven't found an article that goes further than what the 2 links I've posted have said.

I guess under Italian law he can be released with the restrictions imposed.

CNN Sunday Special

http://thehill.com/blogs/transportation-report/1095-other/236341-sen-rockefeller-cruise-ships-are-too-large-to-be-safe-

I dunno. :confused: I haven't found an article that goes further than what the 2 links I've posted have said.

I guess under Italian law he can be released with the restrictions imposed.

CNN Sunday Special

http://thehill.com/blogs/transportation-report/1095-other/236341-sen-rockefeller-cruise-ships-are-too-large-to-be-safe-

Release on payment of a bail bond is intended only to insure the accused appears in court for trial. Bond and release may only be witheld if the the accused is a flight risk. Additional restrictions may be imposed on the extent of travel while on bail. While house arrest is rare, it is not on heard of. Some jurisdiction prefer to use electronic monitoring with ankle braclets. A court can always revew its previous bond decisions and remake it based upon change of circumstances, such as the accused is now considered more or less of a flight risk based upon their conduct in faithfully carrying out the original terms of the bail bond.

Edited by Uniall

From the CNN website. Schettino said:

"No one, until then, had warned me that we had passed the point of turn on the fixed route. Luckily I saw the white froth on my left. It was a sign that made me give the order to tack to starboard, out of pure instinct. At that moment a divine hand has definitely landed on my head. If I had continued on that route, we hit the rock with the bow. It would have been a massacre," Schettino said, according to the newspaper.

Perhaps this could be restated as "The officers of the watch were negligent and missed the turn." ?

VP

zippercat ... Maybe you would be happier if it said press 1 for Indian or Swahili? :eek:

Uni ... the judge clearly does not feel that Schettino is a flight risk before the trial and it would be interesting to see what if any bond has been imposed on him.

SB .... Well there were many people on the original threads who said Black was Blue! and that a ship the size of Concordia could never be refloated and would be cut up where it is and wanted Schettino hung right away despite even now not knowing all the facts, a few of us as you say were castigated for our views but you only have to look around to see who is still here! and who so far has been vindicated.

zippercat ... Maybe you would be happier if it said press 1 for Indian or Swahili? :eek:

Uni ... the judge clearly does not feel that Schettino is a flight risk before the trial and it would be interesting to see what if any bond has been imposed on him.

SB .... Well there were many people on the original threads who said Black was Blue! and that a ship the size of Concordia could never be refloated and would be cut up where it is and wanted Schettino hung right away despite even now not knowing all the facts, a few of us as you say were castigated for our views but you only have to look around to see who is still here! and who so far has been vindicated.

I've maintained from the beginning, we've had enough evidence from the beginning that that Capt. Schitino is:

guilty in the court of public opinion (ala OJ Simpson)

guilty in civil court for damages

probably guilty in criminal court.

I've also maintained from the beginning that Costa Cruises is:

should be guilty in the court of public opinion (ala OJ Simpson)

probably guilty in civil court for damages

possibly guilty in criminal court.

And I maintain that I've been vindicted.

Another on the "one hand it might be this and on the other it might be that" .... :D

Uni ... Any idea how many English, Scottish, Welsh or Irish would have American Ancestors ?

From the CNN website. Schettino said:

Perhaps this could be restated as "The officers of the watch were negligent and missed the turn." ?

VP

Very possible, but this would not in any way let the Master off the hook......he was on the bridge,in command and for whatever reason was not paying attention to his duty and where the vessel was and where she was moving to.

One additional point, if the vessel had hit the rock or coast bow on it is possible she would have not sunk and the forward watertight bulkheads would have been the only one flooded and she would have stayed upright and afloat.

This is the same as the Titanic and the iceberg!

Tonka ... It may also be that even with a head on hit that the ship could have turned over due to lack of draft under the Keel just as it did where it lies now.

That is possible as well, she could have rolled over as she hit the bottom, if the contours were steep enough. She may have also just settled on the bottom up right. The bottom contours would have to be studied.

AKK

Edited by Tonka's Skipper

I was going to post this exact same thing, but didn't want to interrupt the bantering going on;)

I never mind interrupting the bantering when I make a post. :D Actually, I enjoy the different opinions expressed as that's what they are, opinions, based on their knowledge of civil or maritime laws. I don't plan to keep score on who may be right or wrong once this case comes to a conclusion... probably because by the time it does I will have forgotten what was said by many of those posting here. :p

I never mind interrupting the bantering when I make a post. :D Actually, I enjoy the different opinions expressed as that's what they are, opinions, based on their knowledge of civil or maritime laws. I don't plan to keep score on who may be right or wrong once this case comes to a conclusion... probably because by the time it does I will have forgotten what was said by many of those posting here. :p

You mean no one is keeping score!. Ho Dam!:rolleyes:

From article posted by SB - thanks SB!

"No one, until then, had warned me that we had passed the point of turn on the fixed route." If you would have been doing what captains are paid to do instead of out gallivanting around with Miss Moldovia (btw whose suitcase was later found in your cabin), perhaps you would have been there to see for yourself exactly where that point of turn on the fixed route was. Luckily I saw the white froth on my left. Surely not the only white frothy liquid emanating from the captain's cabin that night. It was a sign that made me give the order to tack to starboard, out of pure instinct. Out of pure instinct? Reassuring to know that a 4000-passenger, 115000-ton mega cruise ship is being operated out of pure instinct. At that moment a divine hand has definitely landed on my head. The head on top of your body or the head you were thinking with - the one attached to the lower part of your body? It's going to take a little more than divine intervention to get you out of this one!If I had continued on that route, we hit the rock with the bow. It would have been a massacre," Schettino said, according to the newspaper". You don't consider the 37 people you slaughtered "massacre" enough?

Another on the "one hand it might be this and on the other it might be that" .... :D

Uni ... Any idea how many English, Scottish, Welsh or Irish would have American Ancestors ?

My IRB grandfather (KIA) would never put the Irish in the same grouping with the English. ;)

I've seen estimates that 40% of the American population are at least 1/16 Irish.

Schettino, in a memo written to his attorney says he's "comforted" by the information recorded on the black-box.

If the box, as reported, was not working before the collision then what exactly were they able to retrieve from it? Anyone know? Sorry if I missed this in earlier posts.

Schettino, in a memo written to his attorney says he's "comforted" by the information recorded on the black-box.

If the box, as reported, was not working before the collision then what exactly were they able to retrieve from it? Anyone know? Sorry if I missed this in earlier posts.

Maybe Capt. Schitino is comforted by the reports that the black box has no retrievable data..................:eek::rolleyes:

[quote name='Uniall']Maybe Capt. Schitino is comforted by the reports that the black box has no retrievable data..................:eek::rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
So I guess we'll never know the precise moment he "tripped and fell" into a lifeboat. :eek: Must have been the "divine hand" that "pushed" him :rolleyes:

[quote name='cruiserfanfromct']So I guess we'll never know the precise moment he "tripped and fell" into a lifeboat. :eek: Must have been the "divine hand" that "pushed" him :rolleyes:[/quote]

You may have hit upon his ultimate defense strategy.

The disaster was niether a criminal act nor a civil wrong. It was "An Act of God", which renders everyone free and clear of any wrong doing..............:D Edited by Uniall

NEW CNN SPECIAL THIS WEEKEND

A television special airing this weekend will shed new light on January's Costa Concordia disaster in which 32 people were killed.

"Cruise to Disaster" is CNN's sweeping look at the crash, the circumstances that led to the accident and industry's reaction.

[B]The special is set to air on CNN at 8 p.m. and 10 p.m. Eastern and Pacific on Sunday, July 8.[/B]

[url]http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/05/costa-concordia-disaster-tv_n_1651036.html[/url]

[quote name='Uniall']You may have hit upon his ultimate defense strategy.

The disaster was niether a criminal act nor a civil wrong. It was "An Act of God", which renders everyone free and clear of any wrong doing..............:D[/QUOTE] In this case, would Costa and Carnival Corp be in the clear as well since Schettino and his co-pilot God diverted disaster? ;) :rolleyes:

Saturday as well as Sunday schedules for Cruise to Disaster on CNN

"Cruise to Disaster" airs on CNN International at 0800GMT/1000CET and 1900GMT/2100CET on Saturday, July 7; and at 0100GMT/0300CET and 1000GMT/1200CET on Sunday, July 8.

[url]http://edition.cnn.com/2012/07/04/world/europe/costa-concordia/index.html?hpt=hp_c1[/url]