Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

[quote name='judyzoo']Has anyone seen the recent CNN program on the sinking? I missed two earlier showings today but am hoping to catch it tonight, starting in about 10 minutes. I hope there's something new and enlightening in it.[/QUOTE]

Before someone gets upset, I know I should have said capsizing, not sinking.

[quote name='judyzoo']Before someone gets upset, I know I should have said capsizing, not sinking.[/quote]

Judy, I would not worry about whether its capsized or sinking or sunk!

With Nautical terms, ask 10 sailors what something is and you will get 8 answers!

IMHO......she was grounded on her side, capsized to me means fully on her side , 90 off the vertical or totally upside down!

AKK

Tonka ... Interesting point re sunk or not, the ship at one point was totaly on its side during the rescue helicopter evac.

Today on Facebook there are some new pictures taken by Last Salute which claim to show the isolo de scola rock that Concordia hit.

[quote name='judyzoo']Has anyone seen the recent CNN program on the sinking? I missed two earlier showings today but am hoping to catch it tonight, starting in about 10 minutes. I hope there's something new and enlightening in it.[/quote]

Like all TV reports that are limted by 45 minutes of air time, it was too compressed with once over lightly. It tried to tell the story from the personal experiences of a few passegengers and crew, none of which (in my opinion) were very compelling.

I got the biggest kick out of watching Captain Schtino's Attorney, Bruno "Lepard" (Italian), trying to spin gold out of lead ore.

[quote name='Uniall']Like all TV reports that are limted by 45 minutes of air time, it was too compressed with once over lightly. It tried to tell the story from the personal experiences of a few passegengers and crew, none of which (in my opinion) were very compelling.

I got the biggest kick out of watching Captain Schtino's Attorney, Bruno "Lepard" (Italian), trying to spin gold out of lead ore.[/QUOTE]

Having now seen the program, I agree with both of your points.

[quote name='judyzoo']Has anyone seen the recent CNN program on the sinking? I missed two earlier showings today but am hoping to catch it tonight, starting in about 10 minutes. I hope there's something new and enlightening in it.[/QUOTE] Not much new material except an amateur video never aired before - the rest was mostly rehashed stuff that we've all seen before on other documentaries. No mention of the open doors, incorrect maps, faulty equipment etc., etc., etc.

On another note Schettino has managed to land a paid interview on Italy's Channel 5's "Quinta Colonna" on July 10 at 21.20 (Italian time). Not sure if it will be translated and aired in the US or uploaded to YouTube or posted on the channel's internet site. Stay tuned....

[quote name='sidari']I am suprised that Schettino is being allowed to do TV interviews! especially during an ongoing investigation.[/quote]

Maybe Italy has a higher regard for free speech than some other countries ?

[quote name='sidari']I am suprised that Schettino is being allowed to do TV interviews! especially during an ongoing investigation.[/quote]

[quote name='Uniall']Maybe Italy has a higher regard for free speech than some other countries ?[/quote]

i'm surprised his lawyer is allowing hin to do it. stupid, stupid, stupid.

Or allows people to prejudice a Trial ?

The jury system comes from northern England in the lands of the Norse. It was an intergal part of "the DaneLaw."

The Jury was comprised of 12 free men over the age of 12 . They expected to live in the same community as the accused and therefore would have knowledge of the crime.

Edited by Uniall

Here is Schettino's supposedly paid interview (there are commercials in between segments) on Italy's channel 5 which aired tonight - it is in Italian of course. Don't know if and when there will be an English translation. Schettino seems very defensive!!!

http://www.video.mediaset.it/video/quinta_colonna/clip/310909/schettino-non-avevamo-rilevato-il-pericolo.html

Possibly of interest.

http://rockcenter.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/07/09/12645216-costa-concordia-survivors-fighting-over-shipwreck-settlement?lite

I was out of town for a funeral during the airing of the latest show. Anyone know if it will be rerun again? Thanks.

SB - sorry for your loss.

Here's a transcript of CNN's "Cruise to Disaster" - don't know when it will be aired again.

http://edition.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1207/04/se.02.html

Aplmac ..... Finally found the underwater video that shows where the rock inside the ship was broken off from.

The newspaper report does not shed much light on what happened other than someone else was actually in charge of navigation according to Schettino.

Edited by sidari

The CNN show didn't really add much, but it did clarify some points for me.

1. The engines were ultimately overwhelmed at about 20 minutes after striking the outcropping.

2. Call to muster stations happened about 1 hour after striking the outcropping.

So his vessel in close ashore and someone else is doing the navigation?...............but he was still ordering the steering to manual?

and hes on the phone?

What poppy cock! He is just a cartoon Captain. As I said before.he was busy being a social butterfly, while his vessel was close inshore and running into danger.

His responsibility was his vessel, not the phone or guests!

AKK

The newspaper report does not shed much light on what happened other than someone else was actually in charge of navigation according to Schettino.

Sorry, but the captain, as the highest ranking officer on the cruise ship, is responsible for the safe operation of the vessel. By his own admission, he was on the bridge navigating in manual mode while talking on his cell phone to someone on the Island of Giglio (presumably to former Costa Captain Palombo who was not at Giglio but on the mainland that night) when the incident occurred. He admits that the accident was caused by his distraction.

Thousands of passengers came aboard the Concordia that night with the expectation that they were in the hands of a competent crew headed by a competent captain. They were depending on Schettino's expertise, professionalism and skill to his one and only mission: to navigate the Concordia safely and prudently to Savona and the rest of the ports in the itinerary. Instead, their captain decided to take an unfathomable reckless risk and failed them miserably. :mad:

SB - sorry for your loss.

Here's a transcript of CNN's "Cruise to Disaster" - don't know when it will be aired again.

http://edition.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1207/04/se.02.html

Thank you for your kind words and the link.

From the link...

"Schettino called the events in the accident “complex,” saying “everyone has his own truth,” about what happened."

Including the Captain.

What he says is true. If you put 30 people in the same accident, you will have 30 versions of what happened. The truth is in there somewhere and generally will come out.

Thank you for your kind words and the link.
You're welcome SB.

From the link...

"Schettino called the events in the accident “complex,” saying “everyone has his own truth,” about what happened."

Including the Captain.

What he says is true. If you put 30 people in the same accident, you will have 30 versions of what happened. The truth is in there somewhere and generally will come out.

I'm sure everyone is trying to save their skin but ultimately and unfortunately for Schettino, the buck stops with the captain. Perhaps he would have more of a case and credibility had he not delayed evacuation, abandoned ship, refused to go back on board and disappeared into the Giglio night.

Not looking good for Carnival Corp.......

Lawyers filed a new claim recently in state court in Miami that alleges the ship had a defective design and the company had a practice of concealing or delaying notification of life threatening situations to passengers.

Probably true, unless he's been coached enough -- not easy.

My experience tells me that he's an uncontrollable client because he has a raving and raging ego that makes him believe he's smarter and better than everyone else. That's also why he probably believes he did nothing wrong.

My experience tells me that he's an uncontrollable client because he has a raving and raging ego that makes him believe he's smarter and better than everyone else. That's also why he probably believes he did nothing wrong.

I pretty much think that his ego and temper will be his undoing in court.