Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

The stability of any ship is determined by the difference of the center of gravity and the center of bouyancy. This is called the metacentric height. A very lengthy discussion of this in layman's terms in contained the George Hilton's book about the capsize of the Eastland in the Chicago River.

Modern cruise ships mostly draw about 26.5 feet at normal draft. They are very tall, but feature a slab-sided hull and a flat bottom which both tend to enhance the stability of the vessel.

The amount of water beneath the keel of a vessel affects the ability to maneuver much more than it does stability.

Regardless, the Costa Concordia should not have been in such a perilous position. There was no room to maneuver, regardless of when the Captain realized they were in danger.

Doc

The stability of any ship is determined by the difference of the center of gravity and the center of bouyancy. This is called the metacentric height. A very lengthy discussion of this in layman's terms in contained the George Hilton's book about the capsize of the Eastland in the Chicago River.

Modern cruise ships mostly draw about 26.5 feet at normal draft. They are very tall, but feature a slab-sided hull and a flat bottom which both tend to enhance the stability of the vessel.

The amount of water beneath the keel of a vessel affects the ability to maneuver much more than it does stability.

Regardless, the Costa Concordia should not have been in such a perilous position. There was no room to maneuver, regardless of when the Captain realized they were in danger.

Doc

Totally correct Doc......you have read lot on salvage and ships is trouble!

Just to add a ship the size of the Concordia would have a center of gravity around deck 4/5.

AKK

"If a plumber installs a new pipe and the basement is flooded the next morning, the plumber is incompetent The "facts speak for themseves".

So in your assesment there is no room for defective materials! from this i can tell you have never held down a manual type of job.

So applying the same process as you have stated above, If a lawyer fails to get a conviction does that then make him or her incompetant as well ? or just unlucky!

Doc and Tonka .... thanks for the info.

"If a plumber installs a new pipe and the basement is flooded the next morning, the plumber is incompetent The "facts speak for themseves".

So in your assesment there is no room for defective materials! from this i can tell you have never held down a manual type of job.

So applying the same process as you have stated above, If a lawyer fails to get a conviction does that then make him or her incompetant as well ? or just unlucky!

Doc and Tonka .... thanks for the info.

You are so wrong about my background. I made my living in the construction trades for 6 years while attending undergraduate school at night.

Yes, the plumber is liable for all defects because he supplied the pipe.

I'm beginning to think Captain Schitino is your uncle. :D

New development out of Italy: Schettino is now blaming Ciro Ambrosio for the accident. Wonder why he waited until now to say this......

Supposedly, Ambrosio failed to warn the captain when the ship was 1/2 mile from shore.

My question is this: Why wasn't Schettino there on the bridge paying attention in the first place? Maybe if he would have looked out the window :eek: he would have seen the island. This is the same island passing that was announced in the Costa daily newsletter as 5 nautical miles away, NOT 1/2 mile nor a few yards nor close enough to slice through its rocks as Schettino waved bye-bye. Where exactly was he and what in the world was he doing that was soooooo much more important as the ship was closing in on the island and about to go down in history as the worst cruise ship disaster in modern times?

http://www.liberoquotidiano.it/news/1059192/Giglio-Schettino-accusa-Ambrosio-ceduto-comando-senza-informarmi-su-manovra.html

New development out of Italy: Schettino is now blaming Ciro Ambrosio for the accident. Wonder why he waited until now to say this......

Supposedly, Ambrosio failed to warn the captain when the ship was 1/2 mile from shore.

My question is this: Why wasn't Schettino there on the bridge paying attention in the first place? Maybe if he would have looked out the window :eek: he would have seen the island. This is the same island passing that was announced in the Costa daily newsletter as 5 nautical miles away, NOT 1/2 mile nor a few yards nor close enough to slice through its rocks as Schettino waved bye-bye. Where exactly was he and what in the world was he doing that was soooooo much more important as the ship was closing in on the island and about to go down in history as the worst cruise ship disaster in modern times?

http://www.liberoquotidiano.it/news/1059192/Giglio-Schettino-accusa-Ambrosio-ceduto-comando-senza-informarmi-su-manovra.html

We know where the Captain was. He was wining and dining with his blonde babe. After all, "what's a poor Italian cruise ship Captain to do?" :p

We know where the Captain was. He was wining and dining with his blonde babe. After all, "what's a poor Italian cruise ship Captain to do?" :p
It's got to be the highest price ever paid in the history of the world to impress a dancer - not exactly a Ginger Rogers either! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XaCJ4FA1Bk

Then again maybe it was the fault of the compass:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/48193685#48193685

Seems, though, now the rock WAS there. But, the water just wasn't as deep as it was charted to be.

:mad:

Remember early on several witness said the Captain left the DR very quickly. Did he receive a warning that the ship was on course to strike the island.

This does raise more questions because of other comments he's made. I think I'll sit back and think about some things he said early on and compare them to what he's saying now.

Course none of it is likely to convince me that the Captain is where the buck will stop.

Seems, though, now the rock WAS there. But, the water just wasn't as deep as it was charted to be.

This is one example of what I was just thinking.

No rock on the chart; now rock was there but water depth was correct.

Then there was his glasses. He couldn't properly see the chart and nobody told him. But he saw the whitecaps.

I'm sure there are others.

Remember early on several witness said the Captain left the DR very quickly. Did he receive a warning that the ship was on course to strike the island.

This does raise more questions because of other comments he's made. I think I'll sit back and think about some things he said early on and compare them to what he's saying now.

Course none of it is likely to convince me that the Captain is where the buck will stop.

Yep - listen to this gem - especially the last statement - makes it kinda hard to believe anything else he said going forward:

This is one example of what I was just thinking.

No rock on the chart; now rock was there but water depth wasn't correct.

Then there was his glasses. He couldn't properly see the chart and nobody told him. But he saw the whitecaps.

I'm sure there are others.

Just correcting a boo boo. Had "was" when I meant *wasn't.*

Schettino = Pinocchio's twin brother. Note to Schettino: the more you talk, the deeper you dig yourself into a hole.

Yep - listen to this gem - especially the last statement - makes it kinda hard to believe anything else he said going forward:

"Among last to leave the ship." That is probably his biggest lie.

But I'm sure he meant last to leave the Bridge before he fell into the lifeboat. :rolleyes:

Edited by SomeBeach

"Among last to leave the ship." That is probably his biggest lie.

But I'm sure he meant last to leave the Bridge before he fell into the lifeboat. :rolleyes:

Who ya gonna believe, Captain Schitino or your lying eyes.....????.....;)

Edited by Uniall

Where will the buck stop? With Costa for promoting Pinocchio's twin brother and Curly's cousin to captain of the largest ship in the Mediterranean?

I wish he'd stop talking -- it's sickening to hear these interviews. It's so disrespectful to the families of the lost passengers and to the survivors.
Agreed. He might be giving interviews out of necessity - to support himself and his family since he's no longer on Costa payroll -- but for God's sake why doesn't he have his attorney, Bruno Leporatti, next to him and let Leporatti do most of the talking? :confused:

Agreed. He might be giving interviews out of necessity - to support himself and his family since he's no longer on Costa payroll -- but for God's sake why doesn't he have his attorney, Bruno Leporatti, next to him and let Leporatti do most of the talking? :confused:

Because his ego won't allow that. His attorney probably wishes he'd shut up too.

It's said he hasn't been paid for at least one interview. I think it was the American one. I find that hard to believe. I believe I heard some figures tossed around for the other interviews, so why not that one. :confused:

Makes me wonder if he had the money put in a trust for his daughter or wife, would that be disclosed. :confused: