Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

Captain Coward or Misunderstood Scapegoat?

Interesting podcast from Australian international affairs correspondent, Dr. Keith Suter. He talks about the possible reason Schettino is giving interviews to the press. Podcast is below article - no need to download, just click on play button.

http://blogs.abc.net.au/nsw/2012/07/captain-coward-or-misunderstood-scapegoat.html

So the week of the 23rd is when the funnel comes down.

I know they've been working in that area for several days

and wondered how much longer it would be.

Thanks

Me too been wondering when the iconic funnel would be removed.

Now we know.

Does anyone have a webcam better than the one at

http://www.giglionews.it/2010022440919/webcam/isola-del-giglio/webcam-giglio-porto-panoramica.html

Edited by Aplmac

Interesting podcast from Australian international affairs correspondent, Dr. Keith Suter. He talks about the possible reason Schettino is giving interviews to the press. Podcast is below article - no need to download, just click on play button.

http://blogs.abc.net.au/nsw/2012/07/captain-coward-or-misunderstood-scapegoat.html

Great discussion. I love their take that in "Captain Schitino's mind", he was not in charge, his subordinates were..............LOL

Edited by Uniall

Me too been wondering when the iconic funnel would be removed.

Now we know.

I've been keeping an eye on the big white telecomms globe hi up on her port side

wondering when that would be removed.

Looks like it's finally gone, judging from what I can make out from this morning's webcam shot...

or is it still there? - I think I see a spherical shadow in the area

so maybe it's the current lighting that makes it "disappear"?

Does anyone have a webcam better than the one at

http://www.giglionews.it/2010022440919/webcam/isola-del-giglio/webcam-giglio-porto-panoramica.html

Not sure this is better http://thelastsalute.eu/ but here's a different one.

Great discussion.

I love their take that in "Captain Schitino's mind", he was not in charge, his subordinates were....LOL

You mean..."Had HE been actually at the helm, things would have been different!" ??

It's as I said the other day, he's in survivor mode. I agree with the Dr, he's trying to change how people see him. Unfortunately for the Captain, it's not going to work. Think of a few high profile cases we've had in this country, ie: OJ or Anthony. People haven't changed how they see them.

[quote name='SomeBeach'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]It's as I said the other day, he's in survivor mode. I agree with the Dr, he's trying to change how people see him. Unfortunately for the Captain, it's not going to work. Think of a few high profile cases we've had in this country, ie: OJ or Anthony. People haven't changed how they see them.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]
Agreed. He seems to be spinning in damage control circles and spiraling out of control. IMHO, If he's going to give interviews he should be giving them exclusively in Italian and with his attorney present. The man doesn't have a sufficient command of the English language to be giving interviews and dealing with the anglo-saxon press and certainly not without the assistance of counsel.

I would love to be the interviewer in order to ask him about his previous crash in June of 2010 of the Aida Blu. Apparently he was sailing too quickly into a German harbor where he “maneuvered" at a high speed during entry into the port of Warnemunde. He later told Costa that he did not know the speed limit so therefore it wasn't his fault.

The writing was on the wall - Costa just couldn't or wouldn't read it........it's no wonder there was a recent management shake-up!

[url]http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/concordia-captain-had-2010-crash/story-fn6e1m7z-1226287913037[/url]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]CT, even if he only gave interviews in Italian, English speaking countries (along with other non Italian countries) will pick up the stories and translate them. It can still come off as *confusing* in translation. Of course we expect professional writers to make the story clear and in most cases they do. Still, you can end up with something that is "lost in translation."[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Speaking of which, look at this message board. We have people that post here and English is not their first language. Is it sometimes confusing? Yes. But if one takes a minute, there isn't anything that can't be understood.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]I give anyone credit that can think/type in a language that is not their own.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='SomeBeach'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]CT, even if he only gave interviews in Italian, English speaking countries (along with other non Italian countries) will pick up the stories and translate them. It can still come off as *confusing* in translation. Of course we expect professional writers to make the story clear and in most cases they do. Still, you can end up with something that is "lost in translation."[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Speaking of which, look at this message board. We have people that post here and English is not their first language. Is it sometimes confusing? Yes. But if one takes a minute, there isn't anything that can't be understood.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]I give anyone credit that can think/type in a language that is not their own.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]Very true, but my point here is that it is extremely difficult to deal with the media in one's native tongue and even more in a language that is not your first. I would not risk the misinterpretation of language when so much is at stake. He has more to lose than to gain from going public on his own.

I have tried to make sense of some of things he has said - some are impossible - like this in the Australian interview:

[B]Interviewer:[/B] "So was Dominica Chimortan on the boat that night?"

[B]Schettino: [/B]“This is simply [COLOR="Red"]a ghost[/COLOR] because, I keep, I would like to keep the value of the conversation elevated, the value of the conversation,” he said.

“It's not true, because she was outside waiting for me and the other guy. They were going out and simply she was there waiting.”

[COLOR="Red"]A ghost? [/COLOR] Do you know what he meant by that and the rest of his answer to the question 'cause I'm totally clueless.

[url]http://au.news.yahoo.com/today-tonight/lifestyle/article/-/14243519/captain-breaks-his-silence/[/url] Edited by cruiserfanfromct
typo

[quote name='cruiserfanfromct']Very true, but my point here is that it is extremely difficult to deal with the media in one's native tongue and even more in a language that is not your first. I would not risk the misinterpretation of language when so much is at stake. He has more to lose than to gain from going public on his own.

I have tried to make sense of some of things he has said - some are impossible - like this in the Austratian interview:

[B]Interviewer:[/B] "So was Dominica Chimortan on the boat that night?"

[B]Schettino: [/B]“This is simply [COLOR=red]a ghost[/COLOR] because, I keep, I would like to keep the value of the conversation elevated, the value of the conversation,” he said.

“It's not true, because she was outside waiting for me and the other guy. They were going out and simply she was there waiting.”

[COLOR=red]A ghost? [/COLOR]Do you know what he meant by that and the rest of his answer to the question 'cause I'm totally clueless.

[URL]http://au.news.yahoo.com/today-tonight/lifestyle/article/-/14243519/captain-breaks-his-silence/[/URL][/quote]

Using the term "ghost" sounds like The Blonde Babe is a very "haunting" femme fatale...............LOL

[quote name='Uniall']Using the term "ghost" sounds like The Blonde Babe is a very "haunting" femme fatale...............LOL[/QUOTE]LOL.... “Mr. Didn't-Do has a friend, her name is Do-mnica. Have you met them? They live together in a house called Never-Win, haunted by the Ghost of Might-have-Been.”

[quote name='cruiserfanfromct']

[COLOR=red]A ghost? [/COLOR]Do you know what he meant by that and the rest of his answer to the question 'cause I'm totally clueless.

[URL]http://au.news.yahoo.com/today-tonight/lifestyle/article/-/14243519/captain-breaks-his-silence/[/URL][/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]That "ghost" comment has *haunted* me since I first heard it. :rolleyes:;)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]I sometimes feel he is trying to talk more intelligent than what he really is, almost trying to be philosophical. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Ain't working for me. :D[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='SomeBeach'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]That "ghost" comment has *haunted* me since I first heard it. :rolleyes:;)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]I sometimes feel he is trying to talk more intelligent than what he really is, almost trying to be philosophical. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Ain't working for me. :D[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]I'll say! and the story keeps getting more and more bizzarro....

First, he said on Italian television that Ms. Cermotan was there waiting for the purser to give her the key to her room - the Russian travel agency apparently was not able to get her a ticket. Now, in this interview, the "ghost" was waiting for the "other guy" because they were going out. He does not name "the other guy" - could he have been a "ghost" too? A la Ghost and Mrs. Muir? This totally contradicts his previous statements and her claims that she was called to the bridge to translate to the Russian passengers. [B]Finita, la commedia! [/B] Edited by cruiserfanfromct

Costa reaches settlement (amount undisclosed but rumored to be over one million dollars) with the family of Williams and Dayana Arlotti, father and daughter who died on the Concordia. The agreement required the family to drop all law suits.

[url]http://bologna.repubblica.it/cronaca/2012/07/18/news/risarcimenti_milionari_ai_familiari_di_williams_e_dayana_morti_nel_naufragio_della_costa_concordia-39275030/[/url]

Uni .....
"You are so wrong about my background. I made my living in the construction trades for 6 years while attending undergraduate school at night"

What was your Trade ?

CT ... The Telegraph may have omitted it from their story but i remember reading that there was a pilot onboard the Costa Atlantica going into Warnemunde. I think this story is about 4 or 5 months old now.

Disasters at sea .. Why ships sink .... No idea if this has been shown in the U.S.A or elsewhere. The programme deals with a number of ship sinkings including Concordia, i watched it last night again and noted down some of the responses from "the experts" with regard to the ship and Schettino.

Professor Ed Galea of the University of Greenwich says that Schettino suffered "Behavioural Inaction" which is where a situation becomes overwhelming and the person shuts down because they do not know what to do and remain glued to a certain spot. The same was said of Edward J Smith master of the Titanic.

Captain Rick Comgau MNI of the Marine Simulation Institute said one of the correct decision made that night was getting the ship to where it would not sink and saved lives. Edited by sidari

[quote name='sidari']Uni .....
"You are so wrong about my background. I made my living in the construction trades for 6 years while attending undergraduate school at night"

What was your Trade ?

CT ... The Telegraph may have omitted it from their story but i remember reading that there was a pilot onboard the Costa Atlantica going into Warnemunde. I think this story is about 4 or 5 months old now.

Disasters at sea .. Why ships sink .... No idea if this has been shown in the U.S.A or elsewhere. The programme deals with a number of ship sinkings including Concordia, i watched it last night again and noted down some of the responses from "the experts" with regard to the ship and Schettino.

Professor Ed Galea of the University of Greenwich says that Schettino suffered "Behavioural Inaction" which is where a situation becomes overwhelming and the person shuts down because they do not know what to do and remain glued to a certain spot. The same was said of Edward J Smith master of the Titanic.

Captain Rick Comgau MNI of the Marine Simulation Institute said one of the correct decision made that night was getting the ship to where it would not sink and saved lives.[/quote]

I was a Boilermaker constructing and repairing high pressure boilers and power plants.

I was a Boilermaker constructing and repairing high pressure boilers and power plants.

Uni .... Did not realise you were that old that you worked on steam ships! .... :D

Only Joking of course.

As for Schettino being an uncle? well i have been told i could pass for an Italian but unless he is German then not an uncle of mine ... :)

[quote name='sidari']
CT ... The Telegraph may have omitted it from their story but i remember reading that there was a pilot onboard the Costa Atlantica going into Warnemunde. I think this story is about 4 or 5 months old now.[/QUOTE] What you're saying is it was a pilot error? Perhaps but Schettino's statement about the speed limit is a bit rich.
[quote name='sidari']

Professor Ed Galea of the University of Greenwich says that Schettino suffered "Behavioural Inaction" which is where a situation becomes overwhelming and the person shuts down because they do not know what to do and remain glued to a certain spot. The same was said of Edward J Smith master of the Titanic.[/QUOTE] Smith only became "glued to a certain spot" when is was obvious he couldn't do anything more to save the ship or its passengers. At least he went down with the ship while Schettino bailed like a water rat. People can and do become overwhelmed in disaster situations but a captain of a ship should be held to a higher standard. Overwhelmed for losing his career and possible ramifications on the home front he was!

[quote name='sidari'] Captain Rick Comgau MNI of the Marine Simulation Institute said one of the correct decision made that night was getting the ship to where it would not sink and saved lives.[/QUOTE] I believe it was determined that the currents placed the ship there and not a "divine hand" nor any skills Schettino claims to have had. The only correct decision would have been for Schettino to have been absent from the ship that night.

[quote name='cruiserfanfromct']Costa reaches settlement (amount undisclosed but rumored to be over one million dollars) with the family of Williams and Dayana Arlotti, father and daughter who died on the Concordia. The agreement required the family to drop all law suits.

[URL]http://bologna.repubblica.it/cronaca/2012/07/18/news/risarcimenti_milionari_ai_familiari_di_williams_e_dayana_morti_nel_naufragio_della_costa_concordia-39275030/[/URL][/quote]

an english translation:

[COLOR=#0f0f5f]Mega-compensations for Williams and Dayana
[/COLOR]died in the sinking of the Costa Concordia
[B][SIZE=+0]Relatives of the victims, six-digit zeroes, but with two clauses posed by Costa: secrecy on the amount of compensation and the criminal process output. A "satisfactory agreement" for lawyers[/SIZE][/B]

[I]by FOSCHI[/I]
[IMG]http://bologna.repubblica.it/images/2012/07/18/151404391-a8d713a8-9f9d-45d5-8c76-df8365aa0a98.jpg[/IMG]Dayana Abid, died as a result of the sinking of the lily with her father

[SIZE=+0]Out of process, but holding a millionaire damages. It ended in a short time the private treaty for compensation to family members of Williams and Dayana Arlotti, father and daughter dead in wreck of riminesi Costa Concordia last 13 January at Isola del Giglio. Great satisfaction on the part of[/SIZE]
Tristani, legal advocates Torquato parents of Williams and his girlfriend Michela Maroncelli, and David Valverde, which follows the Etto's mother, Susy Albertini, his current partner and the child's maternal grandparents.

[SIZE=+0]"In such circumstances you can not express contentment-precise Valverde-why no figure will bring back serenity in these families. However, considering the times that usually occur in similar situations, and the examples are conducting this negotiation can only be considered more than positive. " A few months from the date of the disaster until a few days ago when he reached the final agreement.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+0]There are two clauses laid by Costa Crociere: privacy on the figures of compensation and the release of relatives from the criminal trial. The amount of the compensation, it is without a doubt the six-digit numbers, a sum that the lawyers have called "equitable", noting also "availability, proximity and solidarity" shown[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]by the company. Reimbursement involves all relatives followed by lawyers, although measures [/SIZE]

various: "we see for example that spouses Abid are the dual position of Williams's parents and grandparents of Dayana, a legally relevant to which corresponds a fair compensation," said Valverde.

Overall, a very good agreement for the parties involved to accept the
[SIZE=+0]second post by Costa Crociere clause: the process output. The first hearing of the accident evidence was held on 3 March at the Teatro Moderno di Grosseto, transformed into the Court to accommodate the large crowd: legal, technical and survivors present to seek justice. In a few days, on 21 July, will take place the second[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]hearing (which opens and then immediately postponed for lack of answers to the questions of the gip), but for the Williams family and Dayana will no longer can become a civil party. Nobody, therefore, represent the two victims in the courtroom from now on. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+0]"A waiver which meets in these cases-said Valverde-but that does not preclude participation in processes". Asha's mother, in particular, has expressed a willingness to follow the sessions, although not so far because, "in the hope that justice is done." Meanwhile, the CEO of Costa Crociere Pierluigi Foschi, reported to Anoka Albertini will create a foundation named after his daughter's child support Rimini. Concretely, the Foundation would cover the costs for the construction of a pediatric Pavilion, a school, in each case of a concrete project for young children in memory of small Dayana.[/SIZE]
(July 18, 2012)

CT .... I understand the damage to AidaBlu was that it was pushed against the pier due to the wave created as the Costa ship went by.

What Ed Galea was saying was that due to the "Behavioural Innaction" both Captains failed to deal correctly with their respective disasters which we know to have happened. Smith failed to give the order to use the Lifeboats and the decision was taken by lower ranking officers and much the same is true of Concordia, he was hailed as a hero for staying on the ship but that looks more likely to be down to this syndrome of staying put rather than wanting to.

With regard to where the ship is currently sitting no one from the investigating team as far as i know has yet made a statement as to how it got to where it is!

[quote name='sidari']CT .... I understand the damage to AidaBlu was that it was pushed against the pier due to the wave created as the Costa ship went by.

What Ed Galea was saying was that due to the "Behavioural Innaction" both Captains failed to deal correctly with their respective disasters which we know to have happened. Smith failed to give the order to use the Lifeboats and the decision was taken by lower ranking officers and much the same is true of Concordia, he was hailed as a hero for staying on the ship but that looks more likely to be down to this syndrome of staying put rather than wanting to.

With regard to where the ship is currently sitting no one from the investigating team as far as i know has yet made a statement as to how it got to where it is![/QUOTE] I agree that this me-first bozo captain was in great SHOCK. Shock, due to the realization of the asinine thing he had just done, the agony of knowing what he should have done or not done instead, the fear of losing his career and the shame of becoming the world-wide poster boy for cowardly behavior.