Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

If I sailed Cunard, I suppose I could bring my white tie and tails. I only wear that once or twice a year.

Trouble is they might think you are the Pianist ... :D

They wouldn't mistake me for the pianist if I wore my red sash and white cape with its red Cross of Lorraine.

Edited by Uniall

Tonka ... Can you hold a Masters license in more than one country ?

Gee.......that is one I never heard of.........but why not.....pass the testing/requirements...........no reason you can't that I can think of!

I know some Officers that have both Deck and Engine licenses!

AKK

Indeed it was my friend.

The Stockholm is now the oldest ocean cruise ship still in service.

AKK

Well I'm delighted to know (at least for today) I've warded off senility. :eek:

Is the ship now named "Stockholm"? Where does it sail and which cruise line?

My second and third cruises, ever, were on the then Regal Cruise Line's Empress. I've been told that it was one of the first ships designed and built as a cruise ship (as opposed to an ocean liner) and it kept being reborn under different names and owners but has finally been put to rest.

Well I'm delighted to know (at least for today) I've warded off senility. :eek:

Is the ship now named "Stockholm"? Where does it sail and which cruise line?

My second and third cruises, ever, were on the then Regal Cruise Line's Empress. I've been told that it was one of the first ships designed and built as a cruise ship (as opposed to an ocean liner) and it kept being reborn under different names and owners but has finally been put to rest.

Here your go......http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Athena

She is sailing in the med and middle east.

The Andrea Doria and Stockholm collision certainly lends credence to my position regarding third mate watchkeeping.

This was one of the very first major news events that television covered pretty much live. NBC had camera planes flying overhead and developed the footage at the airport. They literally ran the film through the film chain while it was still wet from the developer.

Of course, NBC was owned by RCA at that long ago time. RCA was headed by David Sarnoff, who was the operator on duty in the New York station when he received the Titanic's SOS.

Doc

Edited by DocF
Old brain keeps forgetting interesting tidbits

An interesting story of a shipwreck off the East coast of England, built by Harland and Wollf and carried Mary Roberts who had survived the Titanic 2 years earlier and like Violet Jessop who worked on Olympic which was holed by HMS Hawke, survived the Titanic and Brittanic these two people it seems had lucky lives.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Rohilla

Edited by sidari

The Andrea Doria and Stockholm collision certainly lends credence to my position regarding third mate watchkeeping.

This was one of the very first major news events that television covered pretty much live. NBC had camera planes flying overhead and developed the footage at the airport. They literally ran the film through the film chain while it was still wet from the developer.

Of course, NBC was owned by RCA at that long ago time. RCA was headed by David Sarnoff, who was the operator on duty in the New York station when he received the Titanic's SOS.

Doc

Its not the license level Doc.its the mans(or womans) ability to use the lessons and skills he was taught.

But remember with the Stockholm and Andre....both Masters were on their bridges and in command in plenty of time to do wherever maneuvering was required.....it this case both turned the wrong way in heavy fog.

Basically to much trust in Fog, put into a new navigation tool,RADAR!

AKK

I have a question.......I thought the Titanic was only in contact with the Nova Scotia station, and the messages were relayed from there down the coast...........Ships, including the Titanic had only 4300 to 400 miles range

AKK

Before i was born! ... well a little bit anyway .... :D

Tonka ... just checked my Facebook and found this link ....

http://www.princess.com/news/press_releases/2012/07/Senior_Officers_Announced_Royal.html

Hi Sideri,...........seems a good , experienced group of Officers.

I like DCL because of the classic look to there vessels....but Princess does build beautiful middle sized ships!

AKK

Tonka .... I believe Titanic was sending messages via Cape Race, is that the same one you are thinking of ?

I noticed in the Bio for the officers of the new Royal Princess that the last person in the list has masters certificates for two countries! spooky eh.

Tonka .... I believe Titanic was sending messages via Cape Race, is that the same one you are thinking of ?

I noticed in the Bio for the officers of the new Royal Princess that the last person in the list has masters certificates for two countries! spooky eh.

Yes that was it.......Cape Race is off the southern coast of Nova Scotia.

I am sorry to didn't read the very last para.that is a bit spooky......

AKK

Its not the license level Doc.its the mans(or womans) ability to use the lessons and skills he was taught.

But remember with the Stockholm and Andre....both Masters were on their bridges and in command in plenty of time to do wherever maneuvering was required.....it this case both turned the wrong way in heavy fog.

Basically to much trust in Fog' date=' put into a new navigation tool,RADAR!

AKK

I have a question.......I thought the Titanic was only in contact with the Nova Scotia station, and the messages were relayed from there down the coast...........Ships, including the Titanic had only 4300 to 400 miles range

AKK[/quote']

And today in fog, mariners tend to rely too much on radar and other electronic navigation tools.

I have never read a clarification of whether Sarnoff was getting relays from Cape Race or picking up skip. Spark gap transmitters are notorious for interference all over the bands and for generating skip signals. I do know that Sarnoff contacted the New York papers that subscribed to Radiomarine's service with the news.

Doc

Here's an interesting related article on Cruise Lines dealing with Sick Passengers.

Are Cruise Lines Dumping Their Sick Passengers?

Read more:

Interesting article. Also hard to comment on. Ship "hospitals" can only go so far in their treatment and I'd suggest that the pax could not have received the treatment he needed had he remained on the ship either.

That said, I also think cruise lines could check out the facilities available at the various islands to determine which islands may be able to provide better care. I don't think many of them would hold up to the standards we see here.

A Very Sad Room With A View

Room 37 of the Hotel Saraceno...it doesn’t go away. Who could have imagined this scenario? What was once a gorgeous Tuscan seascape has morphed into an eyesore and a showcase of utter command stupidity.

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/europe/giglio-beyond-the-tragedy-in-tuscany-7979728.html

3091pid.jpg

Room 37 of the Hotel Saraceno...it doesn’t go away. Who could have imagined this scenario? What was once a gorgeous Tuscan seascape has morphed into an eyesore and a showcase of utter command stupidity.

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/europe/giglio-beyond-the-tragedy-in-tuscany-7979728.html

3091pid.jpg

Rather that releasing Schitino from house arrest, they should have transfered him to this room and shackled him to the iron balcony fence to watch the continuing results of his arrogance and incompetence.

The iron balcony fence would also be a constant reminder of the coming iron bars in his jail cell..............;)

Edited by Uniall

And today in fog, mariners tend to rely too much on radar and other electronic navigation tools.

I have never read a clarification of whether Sarnoff was getting relays from Cape Race or picking up skip. Spark gap transmitters are notorious for interference all over the bands and for generating skip signals. I do know that Sarnoff contacted the New York papers that subscribed to Radiomarine's service with the news.

Doc

Doc........I hate to say it, but I totally agree!

AKK

3091pid.jpg

quite a photo (and article). thanks for posting

Rather that releasing Schitino from house arrest, they should have transfered him to this room and shackled him to the iron balcony fence to watch the continuing results of his arrogance and incompetence.

The iron balcony fence would also be a constant reminder of the coming iron bars in his jail cell..............;)

Brilliant idea!!! Let's make sure he can't trip and fall directly into an inner tube this time. Don't believe this man will ever be captain of anything larger than -------->>>>>>>> (see below -- water rat image on tube for illustrative purposes):

xyp8z.jpg

Brilliant idea!!! Let's make sure he can't trip and fall directly into an inner tube this time. Don't believe this man will ever be captain of anything larger than -------->>>>>>>> (see below -- water rat image on tube for illustrative purposes):

xyp8z.jpg

hey now....that could be considered

a insult to water rats!

*G*