Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

The TV and web news reporting seem to be getting spottier. Info on some of the CC threads is often interspersed with off topic discussion. A "news only" thread makes good sense and would save time for those of us who wish to know the latest updates; thus, if you find news worthy info regarding Concordia, please post a summary of information (and a link address, if possible) here.

Just saw a tv ad, what happened on the Concordia. Program to be on Discovery channell 2-19-2012 (cabel channell 10/11 PM. Didn't really take long, so where's the movie?

Just saw a tv ad, what happened on the Concordia. Program to be on Discovery channell 2-19-2012 (cabel channell 10/11 PM. Didn't really take long, so where's the movie?

This is the preview to the documentary which will be aired tonight:

http://dsc.discovery.com/show-news/first-look-cruise-ship-disaster-inside-the-concordia.html

Just watched the Discovery Channel version of the Corcordia. Surprised to learn that she was dead in the water and was blown closer to shore by the wind, not by Schettino steering her back toward the shore, as he had claimed.

This is not surprising. On previous threads about the Concordia several people pointed out that the winds that evening were at 20 knots and in a direction that would blow the ship onto the island. A outlined in the special the high stack of decks serve as a very good "sail" to make this happen.

It is becoming more clear that Captain Schettino took no measures to save or navigate the ship; it blew up on shore by chance. The reality is that he did not even grasp how bad the situation was and appeared to have no control over the situation. The captain failed to get passengers to muster stations in a timely manner or order the abandon ship early enough.

How did they determine that it was blown by the wind? I dont have regular tv, so I have no way of watching the specials.

Because the ship lost all electrical power. All of the ship's propulsion is provided by electrical motors. Thus, with the loss of electrical power the ship was dead in the water. The weather and thus the wind direction and speed was known. It was the wind that pushed the ship toward the island.

I liked the Discovery show better than the National Geographic show because the Discovery show offered more technical information and a forensic analysis.

Other than knowing what the weather conditions were that day, they didn't make any special statement why.

Yes they did. The ship lost ALL electrical power and thus could not have propelled itself toward land. They mentioned at least twice that the ship was dead in the water.

It is becoming more clear that Captain Schettino took no measures to save or navigate the ship; it blew up on shore by chance. The reality is that he did not even grasp how bad the situation was and appeared to have no control over the situation. The captain failed to get passengers to muster stations in a timely manner or order the abandon ship early enough.

He asked for tug boats and possibly his intention was to beach the ship with help of them. But there was no time for that. The ship was taking in water more quickly than he estimated and as he failed to command abandon ship in timely manner, the only reason there are only the assumed 32 casualties is that said 'sail effect'. Without it Costa Concordia would have sunk in deep water with large number of people still onboard.

I also watched the special on Discovery. Having kept up on these threads (especially the SINKING one) about the disaster, I found that the technical aspects were easier to understand. Without being kept informed here, I would not have gotten as much from that show. Thanks to all of you who have been on top of things from the beginning. Looks like the captain is trying to take credit for what Mother Nature did to push the ship closer to land.:eek:

JoyceG

I also watched the special on Discovery. Having kept up on these threads (especially the SINKING one) about the disaster, I found that the technical aspects were easier to understand. Without being kept informed here, I would not have gotten as much from that show. Thanks to all of you who have been on top of things from the beginning. Looks like the captain is trying to take credit for what Mother Nature did to push the ship closer to land.:eek:

JoyceG

Yes, I hope people keeping posting info and news here as this is about the only place left to do so.

According to my local ABC station, roughly 2/3rds of the fuel has been pumped off......I'm hoping they get the rest of it before it sinks! :o

- DCLfan13

From what I could tell from the Giglio webcam it looks like the pumping has stopped for now...I can't see the ships at the back of the Concordia working....perhaps the sea has gotten a little too unsettled. Its pitch black right now. As for it sinking...I think the general concensus right now is that its not in great danger of sliding into deeper waters. The hope is still to refloat her and tow her to a shipyard. I don't know how realistic that is though. Does anyone know of a websight that provides daily updates of the salvage work effort??

Because the ship lost all electrical power. All of the ship's propulsion is provided by electrical motors. Thus, with the loss of electrical power the ship was dead in the water. The weather and thus the wind direction and speed was known. It was the wind that pushed the ship toward the island.

I liked the Discovery show better than the National Geographic show because the Discovery show offered more technical information and a forensic analysis.

The generators for the bow thrusters are usually more locally placed. So the captain may have had power for it. The captain MAYBE[operative word] used the bow thrusters to keep the ship's port side directly to the wind to allow her to be pushed more efficiently to shore and the relative safety of shallow water.

The generators for the bow thrusters are usually more locally placed. So the captain may have had power for it. The captain MAYBE[operative word] used the bow thrusters to keep the ship's port side directly to the wind to allow her to be pushed more efficiently to shore and the relative safety of shallow water.

Those maritime instructors on the Discovery Channel special seemed to think that was unlikely.

I thought the Discovery Channel documentary was excellent. Informative and interesting. Well done, Discovery Channel.

IF those forensic analysts are correct, then Schettino looks soooo much worse than he did before. I had previously given him credit for pointing the ship towards shore and attempting to beach it close to land. But last night's show made that look implausible.

When you factor in the other things he did like going to dinner after the collision and abandoning ship an hour before all the passengers got off, it's safe to say that those that survived did so in spite of Schettino, not because of him.

Another thing I just thought of was that I read something about some one posting on Facebook, that the Concordia was going to pass by, very close to Giglio, at about 9:30 PM. If this is true, almost certainly, some one or several must have witnessed this and I'd think someone may have videotaped or at least had their camera. I have not heard of any one from land, even witnessing this 'salute'. Has any one heard any thing about this? If not, maybe we will, or maybe they don't have any thing good to say and don't want to 'make waves' or make the situation look even worse.

After all, it was a 'salute' to the island, why would Costa do it if no one was going to see it? Most of the passengers were in a brightly lit restaurant and it would probably be hard to see out the windows to see Giglio any way.

I think Schettino was just showing off, maybe to impress his lady friend, maybe to impress the hotel mgr who lives there or maybe the retired captain who lives there.

Lots of us have done some thing stupid like that , just showing off and felt really stupid after I made a fool of my self for a little, even if I was only risking myself; however I'd imagine Schettino just ruined the rest of his life, and it seems he had a good one. Can you imagine the nightmares he must be having, that is if he can even sleep without drugs?

Those maritime instructors on the Discovery Channel special seemed to think that was unlikely.

Not sure what you mean by "unlikely". If you mean because the ship was "dead in the water", then I agree as far as the 6 main generators as they were near the hull failure. But emergency generators kicked minimal lights on in the ship as well as the bridge.

Other Maritime authorities on the other thread (the one that is now locked) commented some 3-4 weeks ago, since the forward thruster had its own generators and plotting the movement of the ship, that Schettino may have used the thrusters to turn the bow of the ship around.They had a minute by minute breakdown of the movement of the CONCORDIA on a chart just like the Discovery Channel with an "authority" commenting on every movement of the ship.

At any rate, I'm sure in the TRIAL, either the captain and one of the officers will testify whether or not the bow thruster was used at this time. The black box recording will also probably indicate whether or not the thruster was used.

Other Maritime authorities on the other thread (the one that is now locked) commented some 3-4 weeks ago, since the forward thruster had its own generators and plotting the movement of the ship, that Schettino may have used the thrusters to turn the bow of the ship around.

I really don't believe that the bow thrusters (Concordia has three) would have their own generator. There is plenty of equipment on or near the bow that requires a lot of power (e.g. anchor handling, lines handling) which is going to be powered from the main high voltage bus, so why power the forward thrusters from their own generator set? Furthermore, it would require a 6MW generator set to power the bow thrusters, and that takes a lot of space. Space is at a premium on a cruise ship.

There is also the logistics of fuelling and cooling a 6MW generator, as well as exhaust gas venting.

I have some photographs which show the typical electrical configuration; I'll try and upload them so folks can see what I mean.

VP