Pocket Knives

SewMuch

When we docked at Civitavechhia in 2010, we didn't bother going into Rome and just wandered about Civi.. At a market stall I bought a multiheaded Philips screwdriver with built LED in light (it's a man thing!) really cheap - cool tool. When reboarding Adventure OTS, the screwdriver got a really close inspection by staff and some discussion ensued before I was allowed to take it onboard. At least it distracted them from the brandy in the water bottle!:D

It's pretty funny that I always have scissors in my checked luggage, not little ones, but big fisskers scissors (they are in my Misc.Bag with all my other "might need this" stuff like clothespins, duct tape, lanyards, etc.) I have taken them on every cruise we have ever gone on. It seems silly that a 2" knife is not allowed but 8" long scissors are OK....not to mention the other possible weapons all over the ship that if someone hell bent on hurting someone or destroying something could acquire. I understand keeping everything dangerous out of the passenger area of an airplane but a ship is like a small city with thousands of people, and it has to be almost impossible to police for every potentially dangerous items.

Why wopuld you bring 8" scissoors?...seems your looking for a issue..its a cruise for the love of Pete...leave them home!

AKK

Oh gosh I love this board! Its so much fun!

When I posted the original question I expected 2 types of answers. Either

A. I walked on board with mine, no problem or

B. All knives of any size get flagged, don't bring it.

As it turns out, the correct answer is B and the knife will stay home (assuming DH remembers to take it out of his pocket). In its place I will probably put a small scissors in my travel kit. That way I can stick it in my garter-holster and defend the row of seats I'm saving at the Ice Show. (That last sentence was a joke, feel I need to make that perfectly clear.)

Guess I should have expected getting spanked, I've read enough of these threads to know there is no such thing as an innocent question here.

Anyway, thanks to everybody that took the time to answer. I appreciate the helpful answers and as for the rest, I've had a fun time reading what you have to say.

, I've read enough of these threads to know there is no such thing as an innocent question here.

Sad isnt it? :o

You think this one is bad, you should see what a gun thread turns into around here from cops or wives of cops wanting to know if its ok to bring it on board.

Those ALWAYS get locked or deleted!!!!!!!

I've always kept one of those tiny Swiss Army knives in my toiletry bag because the scissors usually come in handy. Never had an issue, but now...

Guess I'll remove it and put in my hefty Fiskars (I suppose pinking shears wouldn't count--I can barely cut one layer of fabric with those things) instead! ;)

I don't think we knew one way or the other on our first cruise. When we checked into the port at Baltimore, my husband was asked to remove his pocket knife. Security checked it out and handed it back to him with no issue.

Go figure.

I have a leatherman micra that has been attached to my keychain for at least a decade. (The main tool is the scissors and has a 2 inch blade.) I live in Florida and over the last decade I have been on at least 20 total cruises out of Port of Miami, Port Everglades and Port Canaveral. The vast majority of the time I have completely forgotten to take leatherman off my keychain and ended up bringing it with me to the port. Its not even anything I thought about until I've taken my keys out of my pocket and put them in the little dish to run through the metal detector. For whatever reason, it has never had it confiscated in those times I've brought it. I agree that the better practice would be not to pack a pocket knife or bring one on your person. Just noting my experience.

Why wopuld you bring 8" scissoors?...seems your looking for a issue..its a cruise for the love of Pete...leave them home!

AKK

I actually never thought about it until this thread. Years ago when I was filling up a ziplock bag with what I thought might be useful things I threw them in. That bag goes right into my "travel drawer" after every cruise and I won't see it again until I am packing for the next cruise. They have come in handy a few times. I should switch them out for a smaller pair and if I think about it before the next cruise I will...a smaller pair would be just as useful.

Archived