St Maartan

harrydavid

Did you know there was a "Ports of Call" forum on this webpage? You can go there and read about all the ports.

Here's the one for the Caribbean:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=587

Also, any online travel website such as tripadvisor.com, frommers.com, fodors.com etc. has loads of free information. Any local bookstore will have guides to all these islands in the Caribbean.

You might want to try those options so you can decide what a "must see" is for you.

No need to start a new thread for every port stop.

St. Maarten has a lot - spend some time wandering around Phillipsburg, the butterfly farm, Marigot on the French side, etc -- but why watch airplanes -- you can do that at your local airport?

"Why watch planes...you can do that at your local airport" I don't think it will be the same :eek::eek:

St. Maarten has a lot - spend some time wandering around Phillipsburg, the butterfly farm, Marigot on the French side, etc -- but why watch airplanes -- you can do that at your local airport?

Because you won't see this at your local airport!!

St.%20Maarten%20landing.JPG

Philipsburg has some great shopping (even better than St. Thomas IMO).

Marigot (on the French side) is definitely worth visiting. There are some great shops there too, but it's also has a more European feel in some ways. Also there is a great little area near the Ferry Terminal that serves good local fare. Definitely check out Chez Coco if you are in Marigot. They serve really good local fare.

"Why watch planes...you can do that at your local airport" I don't think it will be the same :eek::eek:

Sure it would not be "the same" - however you can stand near the end of the runway at many US airports and breathe jet exhaust, get buffeted, perhaps bruised by debris, and pick up a slick of unspent fuel -- but then you would not be standing on a third-rate beach on an island circled by really great beaches. When you are on an island like St. Maarten it makes sense to me to sample what is best -- but, to each his own.

Sure it would not be "the same" - however you can stand near the end of the runway at many US airports and breathe jet exhaust, get buffeted, perhaps bruised by debris, and pick up a slick of unspent fuel -- but then you would not be standing on a third-rate beach on an island circled by really great beaches. When you are on an island like St. Maarten it makes sense to me to sample what is best -- but, to each his own.

A matter of opinion. I prefer to sample what is unique when traveling in a country. There are many great beaches in the world, and many are better than on St. Maarten, but few places where you can sit on a beach and almost touch jumbo jets as they fly overhead.

Orient Beach was awesome! Have a Guavaberry colada while there. I had several:D Also at the port area, super nice places to eat and wander around. Had the BEST jerk chicken ever there!!! I don't remember the name of the place, but it was an open air restaurant. Have a great time!

It's an awesome sight. Not one easily visible in the US anymore given all of the airport security. If you've "been there and done that" than good for you. It's definitely a "close-up" and for those who haven't "been there and done that" I say go for it!

We booked online with Bernard's Tour. It was wonderful! We went shopping, sightseeing, to Orient beach and finally over to Mako beach to see the large planes fly low over the beach. Great time. Well worth the money.:):)

I arranged a tour with Bernard. Some of our group wanted to go to one area, and the rest to another area. Bernard accommodated our needs plus he served his own homemade rum punch as we rode along. I can highly recommend him.

Most spectacular sight was Maho Beach with planes coming in VERY low.

Archived