Bring Champagne

palmtre2

I won a bottle of Dom Perignon recently and our family is celebrating an anniversary and a birthday while on board in April, I was wondering if I can still bring it aboard? I know in the past you could.

You are allowed one bottle of wine. Champagne falls in the class of wine, so you'll be okay.

Going out of Mobile one time I took champagne and the x ray person was not too bright. They said I could not take my champagne onboard because it was suppose to be wine. After explaining to the person and having them read the label (it stated Champagne but on the back stated that it was a sparkling wine) I was allowed to take the bottle on with me.

We carried a bottle of champagne on board the Fantasy. Took a small cooler with us to fill with ice to chill it. Then called room service for some flutes. Had pre-ordered chocolate covered strawberries from BV which went great with the champagne! Ours wasn't Dom though.......:(

Just make sure the bottle fits the 750ml size and isn't a magnum or larger.

Bring more than one if there are more than 1 adults in the party and you're not also bring other types of wine. A single passenger can carry all the wine bottles for the entire party IF all the party is going through the same scanner at the same time.

I've never had Dom Perignon. I've been wanting to try it though. Can someone please tell me if it's good? Is it fruity? I like Moscato which is really fruity and "light".

IMHO, it tastes of citrus in fruitness. But it's usually "Brut"which is dry.

If you see "extra dry" on the label, that's French for "very sweet";) I never found Muscat style wines to be "light" but they are very sweet.

If you see "extra dry" on the label, that's French for "very sweet";) I never found Muscat style wines to be "light" but they are very sweet.

Now now- it isn't as bad as that-and extra dry champagne often has nicer bubbles. Although I do prefer brut...

Actually extra dry is not extra sweet - extra brut is the opposite of sweet!

How are Sparkling Wines Classified?

Sparkling wines and Champagnes are categorized as Extra Brut, Brut (pronounced "broot"), Extra dry, Sec and Demi-sec depending on their sugar levels. These classifications can be somewhat confusing, but keep in mind, that in wine terms "dry" is the opposite of "sweet."

Extra Brut - is "extra" dry

Brut – dry (most popular style and very food-friendly)

Extra dry – middle of the road dry, not as dry as Brut (great as an aperitif)

Demi-sec – pretty sweet (pair with fruit and dessert)

I've never had Dom Perignon. I've been wanting to try it though. Can someone please tell me if it's good? Is it fruity? I like Moscato which is really fruity and "light".

I've had Dom and don't see see what the hype is about. It's alright but I wouldn't pay $100 for it.

Thanks everyone, I thought I could bring it aboard! I probably never would have bought the bottle but won it at a Chinese auction. Think I spent $25! I can really ask for flutes for the cabin? I was hoping I didn't,t have to drink it out of the bathroom cups! Aidansaunt, I will let you know how it tastes!

Thanks everyone, I thought I could bring it aboard! I probably never would have bought the bottle but won it at a Chinese auction. Think I spent $25! I can really ask for flutes for the cabin? I was hoping I didn't,t have to drink it out of the bathroom cups! Aidansaunt, I will let you know how it tastes!

We got flutes and red wine glasses from Room Service. We brought red wine on also and took a glass to dinner each evening. Just had to remember to not leave our glass at dinner!

We got flutes and red wine glasses from Room Service. We brought red wine on also and took a glass to dinner each evening. Just had to remember to not leave our glass at dinner!

I always leave my glass at the dinner table (providing it is empty of course! :D)....no problem getting more from: room service, your room steward or at any bar onboard (no dishwashing required on vacation!)

We usually bring M&R Asti Spumante onboard. It's a little sweeter than champagne. We brought a bottle of Dom Perignon on the Crown Princess 2007. We got it as a gift. We drove to the ship (NY). We don't fly with bottles.

This thread brought back a funny memory of the first formal night on our 2006 Crown Princess cruise. DH's hands sometimes shake. We were in the atrium. I handed him a glass of wine. Whoops! All over someone. Was it the captain? Can't remember!

I am bringing Prosecco on board - an Italian dry sparkling wine. The World Market by us had a wine tasting Saturday and I decided the Prosecco was a good choice for the cruise - so festive and bubbley:cool:! Now for the red wine....I may bring Apothic Red..another wine I have tried at a wine tasting..very smooth. I really don't like the sweet wines that much.

To the poster that mentioned about keeping track of your wine glass - I understand! The room steward doesn't like to replace them. The problem is I think they have to account for all of their glassware (according to Cruise Confidential, written by a former Carnival crew member) so I feel guilty leaving it in the dining room and asking for another. (I read too much :p).

Dom is best known but not know as the best. With that said, the respect that any tete de cuvee Champagne is deserved. While many who drink it have little understanding of the process or how to appreciate what they are drinking, it is about what you enjoy and can afford. I'll subscribe to this to see if anyone has any questions I can answer as this is my favorite subject and cruising is second. But that's only if my golf game is bad.

Let me add that Champagne can only be called such if it is from the area of France called Champagne. The French name their wine based on region, where in the US it is the type of grape. Chablis in France is Chardonney in the US. So Sparkling Wine here in the States is (basically) the same thing - and depending on the process and type of grape it will be sweet or dry.

I am bringing Prosecco on board - an Italian dry sparkling wine. The World Market by us had a wine tasting Saturday and I decided the Prosecco was a good choice for the cruise - so festive and bubbley:cool:! Now for the red wine....I may bring Apothic Red..another wine I have tried at a wine tasting..very smooth. I really don't like the sweet wines that much.

To the poster that mentioned about keeping track of your wine glass - I understand! The room steward doesn't like to replace them. The problem is I think they have to account for all of their glassware (according to Cruise Confidential, written by a former Carnival crew member) so I feel guilty leaving it in the dining room and asking for another. (I read too much :p).

Okay I read the book but don't remember about the wineglasses??? In any case my room steward kept replacing mine without being asked? I would take one to dinner and then next day there would be a couple of clean ones in the cabin!!! (maybe he had his own private stash? ;))

Okay I read the book but don't remember about the wineglasses??? In any case my room steward kept replacing mine without being asked? I would take one to dinner and then next day there would be a couple of clean ones in the cabin!!! (maybe he had his own private stash? ;))

Really? That's great! That never happened for me :rolleyes:. Who knows - maybe things have changed. Or it just depends on the room steward.

Or he stole from another's stash - that happened in the book!

Archived