Sister freaking out about our upcoming cruise and stop in Cozumel

BusyFLmom

I don't know why it should but I'm always shocked at how dumb Americans can be of geography except outside of their own town. Your sister needs to get smart...as another said have her read and practice her comprehension skills. And don't you dare buy into her drama!:mad:

Why let family and friends decide on what you are going to do - if they are going then they can decide to get off or not get off the ship but should never tell YOU what to do. Family like that do love you but can drive you crazy. Don't lie to her - just tell her you are a grown up and can make choices on your own without her help.

I'm in Coz 4 to 6 times a year and I feel safer in Coz

(and also Playa Del Carmen) than I ever did in Miami.

No joke. I have stories......

Anyway, enjoy.

:cool:

Here is my Miami story. Leaving Miami going North one night on US 1 right about where Port of Miami is.

Needed gas and went to a full serve station. Guy who pumped the gas had the biggest revolver

I had ever seen on a shoulder holster. Wow.:eek:

Miami scares me and yet no one says OMG ,you went to Miami?

Miami scares me and yet no one says OMG ,you went to Miami?

I agree. A few years ago, my mother was attacked in broad daylight as she was getting into her car right across the street from "touristy" Bayside Marketplace. A man tried to steal her purse, and when she resisted, he grabbed her by her shoulders, hit her, and threw her against the pavement while still trying to take her purse. She ended with a broken arm and several stitches. I witnessed the whole thing and the image is seared in my mind for the rest of my life.

we just got off the Carnival Elation today. We were in Cozumel on Thursday. We had a great day!! We took a taxi to Mr. Sancho's beach. We felt safe and lots of cruisers there. We have been to Cozumel @ 10 times with Carnival. No worries at all!!

Your sister has every right to be concerned for your safety, especially in Mexico. All you have to do is google 'killings in Mexico' and you will see story upon story of tourists being beaten and killed including in many popular tourist areas. The Canadian Government has issued a warning for citizens to exercise caution if visiting Mexico. We have friends that love Mexico and continue to visit and that is their choice and their option. This is one place that is officially off my bucket. IMO, as far as vacation destinations go, anyone who does not agree that there is an over-abundance of violence and killings in Mexico and therefore a certain degree of risk going there, has not been paying attention to the news!

Your sister has every right to be concerned for your safety, especially in Mexico. All you have to do is google 'killings in Mexico' and you will see story upon story of tourists being beaten and killed including in many popular tourist areas. The Canadian Government has issued a warning for citizens to exercise caution if visiting Mexico. We have friends that love Mexico and continue to visit and that is their choice and their option. This is one place that is officially off my bucket. IMO, as far as vacation destinations go, anyone who does not agree that there is an over-abundance of violence and killings in Mexico and therefore a certain degree of risk going there, has not been paying attention to the news!

Yes there are warning but Mexico is big, it has states like the US. So not all parts of Mexico are bad. Just certain areas. I guess you must not go to the US either. I am sure there are far more killings/ robbery on tourists here than there are in Mexico. I know in NY someone tried to pickpocket my friends and I and we only came from Boston.

I am an American but live and work in Cancun. If for one minute I felt that my family was unsafe I would be gone in two seconds. We have a wonderful quality of life, surrounded by the nicest Mexican people. I don't know where one of the previous posters gets their news but I've never heard of tourists being beaten or bothered in my area. I'm sure that there is much more crime in any small American city than there is in Cancun or Cozumel. I'm also very confident that crimes against tourists are almost non existent (of course, there always people that look for trouble). A few months back someone sent me a link to a video put out by the tourist board in Pto. Vallarta and it gave some interesting statistics. The one I remember most was that if you take the deaths to Americans while traveling in Mexico, (the entire country!) including suicides, accidents and natural causes it was more than in a city in Kansas.

Cancun and Cozumel are beautiful beach destinations that depend 100% on tourism so please, come enjoy our wonderful Mexican hospitality. I promise that you won't be disappointed!

if I could relocate to the Yucatan Penninsula tomorrow, I'd toss my stuff in a bag and GO.

I have never felt unsafe in that part of Mexico, the people are wonderful and it's heaven on earth.

You have no control over your sister's fears, and I am sorry she has them, but please don't let this cause you any. if you skip Cozumel, it would be truly sad...it's a wonderful place.

Can you tell us if you have an excursion booked to do while you are there???

anyone who does not agree that there is an over-abundance of violence and killings in Mexico and therefore a certain degree of risk going there, has not been paying attention to the news!

and you have not paid attention to the facts and the geography which is likely what her sister is doing.

I did a google search of "Killings in Cozumel"

Didn't come up with much. Tourists who died in a diving accident, tourist who swallowed a safety pin and a crew member killed by someone she knew.. No random drug fueled violence there. Trip Advisor even calls it one of the safest vacation spots.

If you do get your sister off the ship in Cozumel I sure hope they don't have those guards with machine guns at the dock. That kinda freaked me out and that was years before any of the Cartel warnings.

Let her stay on the ship if she really doesn't want to get out and about. A semi-empty ship can be quite a nice day too. Bring her back a bottle of vanilla.

If you do get your sister off the ship in Cozumel I sure hope they don't have those guards with machine guns at the dock. That kinda freaked me out and that was years before any of the Cartel warnings.

Let her stay on the ship if she really doesn't want to get out and about. A semi-empty ship can be quite a nice day too. Bring her back a bottle of vanilla.

her sister is not on the ship at all.....

Please go back and read the original post.

Thank you so so much for your kind response and I am so so sorry ... I missed the word "not". It changes everything.

But I'm sticking by the gift of vanilla.

My husband and I were in Cozumel in November. Instead of a ship excursion we rented a car and drove around the island. No problems. My question is this...I am returning in May on a Carnival cruise with my daughter (21) and would like to do the same thing, just rent a car and drive around the island. Do you think it is a wise or unwise thing for two women to do alone?? Thanks!

Archived