Lido Dinner Dress?

regnig

When sailing one of Princess’s ships with a Caribe Café we normally eat our evening meal there. While not fancy, the Café has a bit of ambience with table cloths, pre-set tables and lowered lights. We always change clothes with us gals in Capri pants and the guys in their Dockers.

What is the normal dress in the Lido at dinner time? Can anyone give me a comparison? Do I need to pack “extra” for Lido dinners or does “anything”, like daytime shorts, really go? What about the Canaletto?

Oh, and is there any kind of table service in the Lido at dinner?

Thanks a bunch for your help. :D

When sailing one of Princess’s ships with a Caribe Café we normally eat our evening meal there. While not fancy, the Café has a bit of ambience with table cloths, pre-set tables and lowered lights. We always change clothes with us gals in Capri pants and the guys in their Dockers.

What is the normal dress in the Lido at dinner time? Can anyone give me a comparison? Do I need to pack “extra” for Lido dinners or does “anything”, like daytime shorts, really go? What about the Canaletto?

Oh, and is there any kind of table service in the Lido at dinner?

Thanks a bunch for your help. :D

While the dress code is supposed to be the same for the entire ship for Dinner times, I have experienced the same as yourself (Princess) on all of my HAL cruises in the Lido.

Table Service may br provided in some situations such as mobility impaired (myself) and the time that you are eating.

When I go to the Lido for dinner I generally have on capris or dark colored cotton slacks and a top (casual attire) and I go to the various stations and almost always either a Lido Steard or Assistant Manager insists that I find a seat and they will serve me:)

Very relaxed and yet wonderful ambiance in the Lido for dinner time:)

Joanie

The few times we ate in the Lido, saw all forms of dress including a housecoat and a bikini. We tended not to dress, i.e., shorts but in the Canalanto, did wear slacks (husband in Dockers). Never had anyone offer to help with our meals, etc.

Our 2 cruises in the past 12 months have been aboard the Maasdam, Canada/New England, May 2011,2 weeks B2B, and the Zaandam, Vancouver/Hawaii/San Diego, Sept. Oct. 2011, 17 days.

On both cruises, in spite of the noticeable and obvious differences in climate and weather, the majority of diners in the Lido at dinner would be dressed smart-casual. We never saw swimming attire, ripped shirts, bathrobes, etc.

The excellent Canaletto, which shares a corner of the Lido at dinner, also had the majority of its diners dressed smart-casual, although there were a few men who did wear sports-jackets, ties, suits, but that was the exception rather than the rule.

The excellent Canaletto, which shares a corner of the Lido at dinner, also had the majority of its diners dressed smart-casual, although there were a few men who did wear sports-jackets, ties, suits, but that was the exception rather than the rule.

Dining is always subjective, but I certainly would not describe the Canaletto as "excellent". The food could best be described as mediocre at best. I would not be in a rush to go back and was grateful that there was not an upcharge. It is part of the Lido buffet seating from the daytime with tableclothes and waitservice.

Dining is always subjective, but I certainly would not describe the Canaletto as "excellent". The food could best be described as mediocre at best. I would not be in a rush to go back and was grateful that there was not an upcharge. It is part of the Lido buffet seating from the daytime with tableclothes and waitservice.

There we go with tastes being subjective.... Now wait a moment before you get upset with me, please??

I TOTALLY AGREE with you on the Canalletto food being mediocre!! I detested everything except for the Antipasto (which I ended up pigging out on).

My hubby on the other hand absolutely loved the Canaletto offerings:confused::eek::confused:

What I am saying is that no 2 people have the same taste for food and what you and I find to be inedible or tasteless, etc., others find it the best they have ever had.

The only way to find out is to eat one time and go by your own experience(s).

Hubby is quite welcome to go and eat in Canaletto, I will eat elsewhere:)

Joanie

Many thanks folks, guess I'll leave my packing list unchanged, smart casual it will be.

:eek: Sure didn't intend to start a food fight :o! I think we'll make our own decision about Canaletto when we try it. Heck, if the food turns out to be awful it's not as if we can't find other food somewhere else. :D

On our recent Oosterdam cruise, you saw most everything in the Lido including people in bath robes (which I find somewhat disgusting-but that's just me). How much effort is it to get dressed to eat? Or, order room service and wear your bath robe in the cabin.

Canaletto is a nice change of pace on a longer cruise. It is comparable in my view to a Denny's but has some nice inexpensive Italian wines. We used the MDR for dinner on our recent 7 day trip because the food was generally excellent. The veal dishes in particular were great.

Be sure and have the Limoncello Creme for dessert in the Canalanto. Fantastic! Trying to find the recipe so I can duplicate here at home. Still trying to figure out what the cotton candy is all about though.

We just arrived back from the Eurodam and the dress code was anything goes. As long as you had a shirt and shoes on then you were admitted. The food at Caneletto is best described as a step above Olive Garden in quality and presentation. Its not bad but its not that great either, my partner liked his lasagna while I felt the veal was overcooked. The salads and antipasta were fine. The menu choices were very limited considering The Pinnacle, The MDR and Tamarind. In addition, the fact that is adjacent to the Lido means that people are constantly walking as its a connecting way to the pool area. If it was more closed off perhaps the atmosphere would feel more fine dining.

While dining a women's child entered the restaurant and she proceeded to adjust his swimming trunks in the dining room while he coughed with his mouth open.

I will clarify what I said re the Canaletto being "excellent".

I enjoy large portions, and being fairly large myself (view my Public Profile), I get an equally huge smile on my face when the waiter brings me the largest slice of lasagna that one human being could possibly devour...along with a side order of meatballs.

Yes, I was spoiled in the Canaletto....so I will continue to refer to it as an excellent restaurant. ;) Peter

I will clarify what I said re the Canaletto being "excellent".

I enjoy large portions, and being fairly large myself (view my Public Profile), I get an equally huge smile on my face when the waiter brings me the largest slice of lasagna that one human being could possibly devour...along with a side order of meatballs.

Yes, I was spoiled in the Canaletto....so I will continue to refer to it as an excellent restaurant. ;) Peter

Glad you enjoyed it, but I never thought "quantity" equaled "quality". Excellent usually means great in quality, not necessarily quantity. Most often the opposite is true in restaurants. ;)

While the dress code is supposed to be the same for the entire ship for Dinner times, I have experienced the same as yourself (Princess) on all of my HAL cruises in the Lido.

Table Service may br provided in some situations such as mobility impaired (myself) and the time that you are eating.

When I go to the Lido for dinner I generally have on capris or dark colored cotton slacks and a top (casual attire) and I go to the various stations and almost always either a Lido Steard or Assistant Manager insists that I find a seat and they will serve me:)

Very relaxed and yet wonderful ambiance in the Lido for dinner time:)

Joanie

Joanie, just to clarify that the dress code for the Lido, including Canaletto, on formal nights, is casual! ;)

There we go with tastes being subjective.... Now wait a moment before you get upset with me, please??

I TOTALLY AGREE with you on the Canalletto food being mediocre!! I detested everything except for the Antipasto (which I ended up pigging out on).

My hubby on the other hand absolutely loved the Canaletto offerings:confused::eek::confused:

What I am saying is that no 2 people have the same taste for food and what you and I find to be inedible or tasteless, etc., others find it the best they have ever had.

The only way to find out is to eat one time and go by your own experience(s).

Hubby is quite welcome to go and eat in Canaletto, I will eat elsewhere:)

Joanie

Well, for one, I think that the food in the Canaletto is great! ;)

Well, I would describe the Canaletto as "excellent" and the food was anything but mediocre! ;)

Archived