Enchantment of the Seas Delayed at Cruise Maryland

Radio

If the cruise is delayed then the Cruise line needs to make up the time lost by adding on the extra day not delete a port as a result.

Furthermore the cruise line should offer cruisers to take an all expense paid cruise including air hotel and excursions if the mechanical failure can't be fixed.

While I applaud RCL for not taking off with a bad engine you would think they would have known about this earlier on when they could have gotten their assessment team out earlier before embarkation.

If I was a passenger I would demand a full cruise since this is what I paid for and this is what I planned for. Mechanical issues are in the hands of the cruise line as this is not a weather related issue it should be their responsibility to fix it and give the guests what they paid for.

If an airplane's engine fails they get another plane to fly. I'm not sure if they have a reserve boat for these situations.

Can Royal Caribbean work with the guests to get guaranteed time off from work as some guests could have used this as their annual vacation time. What a waste to be stuck in your home port or a port in some un-exotic US City.

Can Royal Caribbean transfer a cruise to say a Celebrity or Princess Cruise leaving the next day coughing up the difference in price?

Can't the cruise run on three engines? An airplane can sure run on three engines or two if need be.

I hope the passengers get off and get the cruise they deserve without missing a single port.

WOW....I think you are way off on your thinking here.

They didn't lose anything, the first day is a sea day....everyone had the ship amenities to do what ever they wanted to do, the only difference was the ship was still docked.

Yes they are missing ports, CoCo Cay is missed a lot due to weather so it was not guaranteed they would even be able to get there at all.

I think RC has done an outstanding job, generous OBC and a full refund while still enjoying the cruise!!!!

I'm not sure if they have a reserve boat for these situations.

Let's say they have a "reserve boat". Where would that boat be docked?

Fort Lauderdale?

Europe?

Asia?

Maybe if they had the foresight to see that the ENOS was going to lose an engine, they would have docked the "reserve boat" in Baltimore, and all would have been well.:rolleyes:

OK, I'll bite; I'll attempt a somewhat serious response to this post.

If the cruise is delayed then the Cruise line needs to make up the time lost by adding on the extra day not delete a port as a result. So instead, the people on the following cruise get stiffed a day? Sorry, any way you slice it, someone's going to lose out under this idea.

Furthermore the cruise line should offer cruisers to take an all expense paid cruise including air hotel and excursions if the mechanical failure can't be fixed. Sounds like RCI has basically done this by offering a full refund -- which, in my opinion, is actually more generous than the situation warranted.

While I applaud RCL for not taking off with a bad engine you would think they would have known about this earlier on when they could have gotten their assessment team out earlier before embarkation. I don't know at what point the engine malfunctioned, but I feel certain that RCI began working on the problem as soon as it became known.

If I was a passenger I would demand a full cruise since this is what I paid for and this is what I planned for. Mechanical issues are in the hands of the cruise line as this is not a weather related issue it should be their responsibility to fix it and give the guests what they paid for. Again, it sounds like they've done just that.

If an airplane's engine fails they get another plane to fly. I'm not sure if they have a reserve boat for these situations. They don't.

Can Royal Caribbean work with the guests to get guaranteed time off from work as some guests could have used this as their annual vacation time. What a waste to be stuck in your home port or a port in some un-exotic US City. Agreed that it's a waste, but what can you do? Sometimes, ship happens. How would you suggest RCI go about working with their passengers' employers to arrange additional time off?

Can Royal Caribbean transfer a cruise to say a Celebrity or Princess Cruise leaving the next day coughing up the difference in price? I suppose that if the affected cruise were half-full, and the cruise leaving the next day were half-full, then maybe this would work. My understanding is that the cruise industry has a "load factor" in excess of 99 percent (someone please correct me if necessary). There's nowhere near enough extra capacity to do something like that. And in the case of the Enchantment, the only other cruise departing out of Baltimore is on Carnival.

Can't the cruise run on three engines? An airplane can sure run on three engines or two if need be. Show me an airline that will knowingly launch a passenger-carrying flight with a non-functioning engine, and I'll show you an airline that just lost its FAA airworthiness certificate.

I hope the passengers get off and get the cruise they deserve without missing a single port. If they get off, they won't have any cruise, deserved or not; and they won't reach any ports.

Does anyone know where EOS is currently located? What time are they scheduled to arrive in Port Canaveral or are they already there? I've been trying to keep up to date regarding the repairs to the ship. Do we know where and/or when RCI plans to repair it - in Nassau? I'm scheduled to be on the 2/27/12 cruise and I guess I'm getting nervous although all I want is to get on the ship and after that whatever happens is okay with me as I will be on VACATION on a cruise ship with lots of food and drink!!! :) Thanks...cmc4fun

OK, I'll bite; I'll attempt a somewhat serious response to this post.

I think its time to put this comment and Peggy's comment to rest....and move on. Enough is enough...:o

I, for one, will up very early tomorrow to watch PortFever.com and see the Enchantment OTS come in to dock at approximately 7:00 AM, could be earlier or a bit later. :)

. . . Can't the cruise run on three engines? An airplane can sure run on three engines or two if need be. . .

While I am not a ships engineer, I find the technical aspect fascinating. The above comment represents a basic misunderstanding in the way ship propulsion works in modern cruise ships and the nature of the Enchantment problem as it has been described.

Enchantment [and all modern cruise ships as as far as I know] operate on diesel-electric propulsion. The diesel engines are basically generators that create electricity that in turn powers electric motors that in turn drives the propellers [and provide electricity for the ships hotel needs -- lights, etc.]. It is actually somewhat similar in principal to a hybrid car.

The problem in this case was with the propulsion motor [the electric motor] not the engine. Apparently one of the motors [and while I believe Enchantment has 4 engines, there are only two propulsion motors] was not functioning, meaning that there was only one propeller functioning. While the ship could operate with only one, the speed would have been drastically reduced [even more than it apparently has been] and there would have been no redundancy in the event the remaining motor malfunctioned -- think Carnival Splendor. Apparently they were able to restore at least some functioning to the second motor before they left. As someone pointed out, if this had been an azipod ship, the repairs mgiht have been more difficult since the propulsion motors [not the engines] are in pods suspended under the ship. It might have taken a dry dock to repair that. So while they would probably have continued [and the passengers would never have noticed] with one engine out, having a propulsion motor out is much different.

If the cruise is delayed then the Cruise line needs to make up the time lost by adding on the extra day not delete a port as a result.

Furthermore the cruise line should offer cruisers to take an all expense paid cruise including air hotel and excursions if the mechanical failure can't be fixed.

While I applaud RCL for not taking off with a bad engine you would think they would have known about this earlier on when they could have gotten their assessment team out earlier before embarkation.

If I was a passenger I would demand a full cruise since this is what I paid for and this is what I planned for. Mechanical issues are in the hands of the cruise line as this is not a weather related issue it should be their responsibility to fix it and give the guests what they paid for.

If an airplane's engine fails they get another plane to fly. I'm not sure if they have a reserve boat for these situations.

Can Royal Caribbean work with the guests to get guaranteed time off from work as some guests could have used this as their annual vacation time. What a waste to be stuck in your home port or a port in some un-exotic US City.

Can Royal Caribbean transfer a cruise to say a Celebrity or Princess Cruise leaving the next day coughing up the difference in price?

Can't the cruise run on three engines? An airplane can sure run on three engines or two if need be.

I hope the passengers get off and get the cruise they deserve without missing a single port.

Right! Airlines have hubs (home base) where they can change out equipment and crew if needed...usually with some sort of delay, if not canceled flights.....it doesn't work like magic.

Keeping a ship as a spare.....no one would be afford to cruise because it would cost millions if not billions of $$ to keep a ship and crew on standby!

Sorry to burst your bubble.....what you have posted is all in a fantasy world. It simply does not exist. ;)

Does anyone know where EOS is currently located? What time are they scheduled to arrive in Port Canaveral or are they already there? I've been trying to keep up to date regarding the repairs to the ship. Do we know where and/or when RCI plans to repair it - in Nassau? I'm scheduled to be on the 2/27/12 cruise and I guess I'm getting nervous although all I want is to get on the ship and after that whatever happens is okay with me as I will be on VACATION on a cruise ship with lots of food and drink!!! :) Thanks...cmc4fun

It's not scheduled to arrive in PC until tomorrow ( wednesday 2/22/12) sometime early morning

Last reported location Last reported at 2012-Feb-21 12:00 UTC was west of north of Jacksonville FL

http://www.sailwx.info/shiptrack/shipposition.phtml?call=C6FZ7

I wanted to go on this crusie but was not able to. Now I am hit with all the emotional stress of "what if I went". No extra boat to get get on? Maybe missing a seaday? Shops were not open? The list goes on and on. Way to many what if's for me. I think RCI owes me some OBC or a reduced fare on my next cruise.

I wanted to go on this crusie but was not able to. Now I am hit with all the emotional stress of "what if I went". No extra boat to get get on? Maybe missing a seaday? Shops were not open? The list goes on and on. Way to many what if's for me. I think RCI owes me some OBC or a reduced fare on my next cruise.

They definitely owe those of us sailing on the 27th a few free drinks for the stress they have put us through. Heck, we should be the first ones to 'try-out' the all inclusive alcohol package... I think they should get the spare into position at the port in Bmore so that we can just board and go right now. Add on a few days as a perk for going through all of this emotional turmoil...

Dang! This would of been our dream cruise!!!! Sea days....rough seas....our kind of cruising!!!

They definitely owe those of us sailing on the 27th a few free drinks for the stress they have put us through. Heck, we should be the first ones to 'try-out' the all inclusive alcohol package... I think they should get the spare into position at the port in Bmore so that we can just board and go right now. Add on a few days as a perk for going through all of this emotional turmoil...

I agree with both of you! I was trying to talk DH into going on this cruise, but he talked me into going on the 27th, so I am doubly stressed (actually I was sorry that I didn't prevail since we would have had a free cruise if we had been on the current one). Either way I'd like some compensation. Seriously though, I hope those on board are able to enjoy themselves and I hope we get to cruise next week. If we don't, DH and I will figure something out, but we're fortunate that we don't have any air/hotel plans to rearrange if our cruise doesn't go off as planned.

I think RCI owes us all some OBC on our next cruises for missing out on a free cruise. If I knew it was going to be free I could have been in Baltimore in 3-4 hours.

I could have been there in 20 minutes...

Everyone had about 12 hours notice when they said they weren't going to be sailing on time... Our bags were partial packed for this upcoming sailing. We could've been there in 6 hours. Stand on the pier yelling to the ship offering to take someones spot... ANYONE GOT A MID-SHIP OCEANVIEW THEY WANT TO VACATE???

Alas... They didn't refund til after sailing, so... Who would've known...

I think RCI owes us all some OBC on our next cruises for missing out on a free cruise. If I knew it was going to be free I could have been in Baltimore in 3-4 hours.

I could have been there in 20 minutes...

Everyone had about 12 hours notice when they said they weren't going to be sailing on time... Our bags were partial packed for this upcoming sailing. We could've been there in 6 hours. Stand on the pier yelling to the ship offering to take someones spot... ANYONE GOT A MID-SHIP OCEANVIEW THEY WANT TO VACATE???

You guys crack me up.....I wish I could of been that close!!!!

Me too! Next time it needs to be a ship out of FL so I can get there fast and take someone's place! I would go on a free cruise to nowhere any day of the week

Karena1.. I'll join you on the Florida ones.. It'll only take me 90 min to get there.. I could use a free cruise, or any cruise for that matter.. I'm in the middle of moving.. too much stress.. gee ya think I can get the movers to move me free if it isn't on the day of closing!:D

We had just disembarked, so bags were packed and we were there....:confused:

Archived