Desserts!!

dbird

It might seem strange but my first cruise 20 years ago, I got introduced to the cheese platter for the first time as a dessert (always thought cheese was a starter course). Granted times have changed and they do not wheel around carts of cheese plus different crackers and fruit but I still love a GOOD cheese plate for dessert. You do not get the quality of good cheeses anymore :( but at some of the up charge restaurants, you can still get some better cheeses. I always get to finish the wine at the table as everyone else is having coffee or other after dinner drinks. :eek: My vote again is Cheese Please for best dessert. :D

This. A thousand times this. Cheese is one of the greatest foods on earth and I still get annoyed if a restaurant does have a decent cheese platter as a desert option.

We never have room for dessert after the meals in the dining room. Specially when hubby and the girls order 2-3 orders of escargot, 2-3 lobsters, and prime rib ! ! ! !

so now what we do is around 4-5 pm, we go to the buffet and have dessert with a cup of tea or coffee........all the same desserts are on the buffet, warm chocolate melting cake, creme brulet, and an assortment of other yummies. then when we go to dinner (late seating) we have a wonderful feast and don't need to save room for dessert.

another thing we do is bring zip lock bags, at breakfast we fill one up with pineapple chunks we keep them in the ice bucket in our cabin to keep em cold, and one with those yummy mini cheese danish......then when the day is done we go back to the cabin and we order from room service.... a pot of tea and a pot of coffee and have it with our danish saved from breakfast. :D:D:D

• 2 weeks later...
I like the Tiramisu at HAL.

I second that! They serve a tiramisu "triple dessert" at Canaletto. Lemon, coffee (I think) and another one I can't remember. I don't usually like tiramisu, but those three little cups were so good I was seriously wondering if anyone would notice if I licked them out! :p

The chocolate lava cake is also yummy, yummy, yummy.

Another vote for Carnival and their molten chocolate cake!!!!!!!!! MOST Definitely!!! The also had a fierce vegan dessert that was a chocolate mousse with raspberries!

Poor Princess, their souffles are just not that flavorful, though their scones at afternoon tea are awesome!

• 3 weeks later...

I have to agree with Amy above - the Strawberry Pavlova, or as it is referred to on RCCL Strawberry Meringue. All I can say is OMG - when that is on the menu, I usually eat at least two (almost embarassed to say that). I am so looking forward to our upcomig cruise in November to be able to order it. (Although, if it is on our 3-day cruise in September, I will be jumping for joy.)

It is just so light and refreshing. Unlike cakes (and I do love my cheesecaks) and puddings, etc., this has a wonderful taste, that you don't realize how much you have conumed until you see the plates stacked. LOL

We are eating at The Pinnacle Grill, the extra-fee steakhouse on HAL ships on our upcoming cruise. I've made reservations for two different nights. They've changed the menu a bit and now have a baked Alaska made with Cherry Garcia ice cream. OMG my very favorite ice cream!

• 1 month later...

Disney Cruise Line has, at least in the past, offered a different ice cream sundae for dessert each night in their sit-down restaurants. They also offer a sampler plate for dessert. Three of that night's desserts in smaller portions. And it has been a difficult choice for me to know which one to order: the sundae or the sampler plate. Maybe next time I should order both.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

On our Princess T/A last Spring I looked over the dessert menu in the MDR and nothing jumped out at me, so I asked the Waiter if he could make me a "Root Beer Float"? He said he did not know what that was, so I explained it to him. He asked if it was really good or was I just joking with him? I said it is really good. I did not expect him to make me one, but he showed up at the table with the ingrediants and I showed him how to mix them. A few evenings later I asked for another at another table and told that Waiter to contact my previous Waiter whom I could see in the other section. Soon, I again had a Root Beer Float. Both Waiters received very nice tips for going out of their way to make my Cruise wonderful as always on Princess.

• 1 month later...

I cannot wait to hop off, and run to a local bakery. that is how good the deserts are on board a cruise.

Ice cream to me is not desert.

Sometime the classic deerts are good, and especially the cookies.

The desert potions are small, at the buffet, and when one good one is at the MDR, I order double.

For I am a Lucky one, I can lose weight going on a cruise. And I have desert when anywhere I am, just not with Dinner.

So I understand, the topic.:cool::D

Archived