Observations from my Liberty Cruise...I'm soooo glad to be back home!!!

picklebongo

My cruise was not ruined by anything. My thread said I am sooooo glad to be home because it was the stress of trying to keep up with these two 21 year old young women. If I had been on the same ship, with the same things going on, but with my family/friends, it would have been a blast.

As I said earlier, one of the young women disappeared for 18 hours and I was literally worried sick. Of course we were at sea and had not made a port and I knew she couldn't get off the ship, but as you know, all manner of things could have happened to her. This young woman is very vulnerable and easily taken advantage of, everybody is her friend after they introduce themselves.

After she had been missing for a period of time, I called security myself and reported that she was missing. Given she was already in the system as being disabled, they took me seriously. They asked me to come to guest services, in the middle of the night and do a written report. Two officers met me there and took an extensive report, which I had to sign.

Sounds like you need another cruise to recover from this one!

I find it wierd that a person comes on this board to share an experience and gets ragged on by a few because her own personal experience doesn't match THEIR experiences and she was supposed to.

Pickle,,you did a good thing taking your clients. Karma points. But did I miss why your almost got tossed,,that is my curious question.

Baby is in the bath, so I can post can, yes I'm watching her as I post on the laptop.

I chose to put the money on their cards the second day because I felt by then they would be in their groove. We didn't get on the ship until noon the first day and I purchased their first beverage, also the second day. I didn't want them to spend it all right away, so I wanted them to settle in first, get a sense of what cruising was about, see venues, get in the rhythm and then spend what money was available.

There was no tandoori grill on this ship. I could see the annoyance if they played port videos all day, but I think a balance would be good.

I wasn't by any means implying that a dropped tray ruined my cruise. This didn't even happen to me, it was just an observation mind you. I just shared an experience because out of 9 cruises, I had never seen an entire tray dropped on someones head. Anybody else?

My cruise was not ruined by anything. My thread said I am sooooo glad to be home because it was the stress of trying to keep up with these two 21 year old young women. If I had been on the same ship, with the same things going on, but with my family/friends, it would have been a blast.

As I said earlier, one of the young women disappeared for 18 hours and I was literally worried sick. Of course we were at sea and had not made a port and I knew she couldn't get off the ship, but as you know, all manner of things could have happened to her. This young woman is very vulnerable and easily taken advantage of, everybody is her friend after they introduce themselves.

After she had been missing for a period of time, I called security myself and reported that she was missing. Given she was already in the system as being disabled, they took me seriously. They asked me to come to guest services, in the middle of the night and do a written report. Two officers met me there and took an extensive report, which I had to sign.

I had an entire tray of food dropped on me when sailing Costa. Our waiter and another ran into each other and I ended up wearing it all. My clothing was sent to the cleaners but they were unable to get all stains out. I had to mail my clothing to Miami along with receipts (clothing was purchased just before cruise) it took several months to get reimbursed but eventually I did.

I find it wierd that a person comes on this board to share an experience and gets ragged on by a few because her own personal experience doesn't match THEIR experiences and she was supposed to.

Pickle,,you did a good thing taking your clients. Karma points. But did I miss why your almost got tossed,,that is my curious question.

She will be back and answer that question as soon as she gets her daughter to bed. Stay tuned................

After I went to security, having initiated the whole thing because one of the young women had been gone for a significant number of hours, they took an extensive report, which I had to sign, very official.

After having been gone for about 18 hours, I was on the lido deck talking to security for the third time, returned to the cabin and she was in the top bunk, sleeping, and snoring. I went directly to bed and the mistake I made, 50 lashes with a wet noodle, I did not contact security to let them know she had returned. Around 9:30am security knocked on my door, I awakened, told them she had returned and went back to bed. The other young woman was still sleeping also. Around noon, I awaked to hear loud banging on the door, we were all still sleeping, and there was the chief and two assistants.

He said the captain had sent him to our cabin and he was told by the captain he had to visually see the young woman to make certain she was in the cabin. As we were standing at the door, the chief of security explained that the security people who had taken the initial report had not followed Carnival's protocol and the captain was furious. The chief said when he awakened at 7 and read the report, he had to wake the captain and make the report that a guest was missing and she was disabled and nobody from his team had visually seen her.

He said the captain had been screaming at him for not following protocol. He said they take these things really seriously and as soon as the young woman was reported as missing, particularly since she was disabled, the security person should have used the intercom system for the whole ship, giving her name asking her to report in. After doing this for a certain period, the next step would have been to do a cabin by cabin search on the ENTIRE ship!

I could tell the chief of security was pissed because the captain had apparently really given it to him because his people did not follow protocol. After explaining this to me, he asked to enter the cabin and speak to the woman. I asked him to give me a minute to rouse her, which I did. He entered the cabin and spent the next ten minutes really ranting at her. When I would try and interject, he asked me to not interrupt but let him speak until he was done. I knew this young woman had some cognitive limitiations and I was trying to break his long sentences down in small bits, using simple vocabulary, plus he had a rather thick accent from India. But I saw he was too irate to really care, so I just let thim have his say, which he was entitled to.

Basically what he told her was that he was in charge of the safety of over 4000 guests and she was just one of them. He knew that she had a disability, but that could not be allowed to interfere with the cruise for all the other passengers. He spoke of the inconvenience if he had had to awaken all the guests and look in their cabins, etc. He also went on to say that she was NOT in America now and she was playing by a different set of rules and expectations.

He ended by telling her that during the remainder of the cruise, she needed to let me know her whereabouts and if she was reported missing for a significant period of time again, she would be put off the ship at the next port. He asked if she understood and of course she said yes. He asked if she had any medical issues as a result of being gone and she said no,he asked this several times.

This happened on the second day, before we even got to Cozumel and quite frankly I was so worried during the whole cruise, I couldn't relax because I was always fearul that something would happen. They didn't have passports and the thought of trying to buy airfare from abroad was a nightmare. Remember I didn't want to buy expensive airfare from Milwaukee or Chicago, I didn't even want to think about Belize or the Caymans. I didn't really breathe until we were sailing back and it was a sea day.

I must admit, there were times she went missing on the ship for periods of time, but I did not report to security again knowing what the consequence would be. This was a learning experience for me...I will never cruise with this young woman again, too many risk.

On the other hand, the other young woman handled herself beautifully. I will never forget on the second day at sea, we were standing looking out over the ocean and she turned to me and said, in all seriousness, "Is this real life or am I dreaming?" She couldn't believe that she was actually on a ship and that sense of wonder remained during the whole cruise.

Even though there were glitches and I had suggestions such as the clocks, movies, it certainly wasn't something that I would say ruined the cruise and it wasn't anything Carnival did, but I was soooooooo glad to be home because my stress level was high and it wasn't relaxing. I was always on high alert wondering when the next shoe was going to fall and it was impossible to monitor the drinking because so many passengers purchased her drinks.

For those people at cc who were on the cruise, if you saw her picture, you'd know immediately who she was if you spent any time on the lido or the dancing venues. Everywhere we went people were calling her by name, greeting her, telling her what a great dancer she was, which she is, and so forth.

I apologize for being so wordy, but I loved the ship, the food not so much or the entertainment, fellow passengers were mixed ages/races, very polite, ship was extremely clean, and crew were very helpful.

I must make a point of noting that I felt the chief used strong wording, but in this case it was totally necessary. As a matter of fact, I ultimately complimented his staff in writing and filled out my survery form today making note of how helpful they were. Numerous times during the cruise when they saw me about, they inquired if things were going ok and were very cordial.

I returned home totally sleep deprived with my blood pressure sky high. Typically my blood pressure is managed well with meds, but not on this trip.

This was my experience and sorry I wasn't able to post it all at once, but I did finish it in one day instead of daily installments that last weeks.

They probbly got in trouble because the missing person could have went over the side and they though perhaps someone that,,to use thier words "has a disability",,would make things even worse for them if that happened. So everyone gets in troublae because you know in that type of enviromenmet,,,the "stuff" flows downhill. So they took it out on you for not cancelling the amber alert.

Although I think he was a little off the rails yelling at that lady like that, especally if he thought she was disabled. That is not right. YOu would think he would want her to understand why what she did was wrong,,,,,not threaten her with walking the plank,,err being put off at the next port.

But I can see why you wouldn't go with her again,,,I wonder what her thought process was. I suspect since she danced and everyone got to know her, in her mind she needed to be with her new friends and hence bieng gone all the time. A cruise ship is a great place to have a captured audience. Who knows.

correct me if I'm wrong but I don't recall her saying that situation made her cruise bad.....or that her cruise was bad at all.

You people just like to take peoples posts and run with it. SHEESH.

I'm not taking a post and running with it, but it was posted among things that made her not enjoy her cruise experience, so it obviously affected her cruise experience in a bad way.

You people just like to take people's posts and run with it. SHEESH

He entered the cabin and spent the next ten minutes really ranting at her. When I would try and interject, he asked me to not interrupt but let him speak until he was done. I knew this young woman had some cognitive limitiations and I was trying to break his long sentences down in small bits, using simple vocabulary, plus he had a rather thick accent from India. But I saw he was too irate to really care, so I just let thim have his say, which he was entitled to.

Pickle, this was just wrong and I would report it to Carnival immediately. I hope that you wrote down his name.

This security officer was NOT entitled to ream out this young lady - no way, no how. His department did not follow protocol and he was told that by the captain. This did not give him the authority to take it all out on her.

Please don't let this incident slide. It was wrong on so many levels.

Please note: this is my mama bear side coming out. I have a special need's child and if ANYONE ever treated my daughter in such a manner, it would be the last thing they'd do ... ever!

After having been gone for about 18 hours, I was on the lido deck talking to security for the third time, returned to the cabin and she was in the top bunk, sleeping, and snoring. I went directly to bed and the mistake I made, 50 lashes with a wet noodle, I did not contact security to let them know she had returned.

Mistake no, completely irresponsible yes.

Mistake no, completely irresponsible yes.

Mistake or being irresponsible, I know I was totally sleep deprived and stressed, didn't try and sugar coat it, I went to bed and a two hour window elapsed when security could have been informed.

I apologized profusely and was surprised the chief of security didn't make an issue of my lapse, he was more focused on the young woman.

I can see how she would be completely in her own head at that point. Worried, then relieved. Easy to forget that others even exist.

Absolutely agree!

It's easy to play arm chair quarterback at this stage of the game and make judgement calls.

Pickelbongo - to possibly stop any disparaging comments about how you are drama filled with your reviews and such - it might have been better to aptly title your problem with the cruise about how the two young lady's you took with you wore you out - not that you were glad to be home and subsequently point out negatives of your cruise. I think this is why you got so many comments and people assuming that this was going to be an "I'm going to point out every wrong thing that happened" thread.

Mistake or being irresponsible, I know I was totally sleep deprived and stressed, didn't try and sugar coat it, I went to bed and a two hour window elapsed when security could have been informed.

I apologized profusely and was surprised the chief of security didn't make an issue of my lapse, he was more focused on the young woman.

Again, his tunnel vision disturbs me. I do hope you pursue this because it was not right. He decided to power trip because his department failed.

Pickelbongo - to possibly stop any disparaging comments about how you are drama filled with your reviews and such - it might have been better to aptly title your problem with the cruise about how the two young lady's you took with you wore you out - not that you were glad to be home and subsequently point out negatives of your cruise. I think this is why you got so many comments and people assuming that this was going to be an "I'm going to point out every wrong thing that happened" thread.

I apologize to you that my thread title was incorrect

Cruise Thread: How Two Young Ladies I took on a cruise wore me out...

but actually it was about more than that, I had what to me were valid concerns about the food, shows, clocks, etc., but oh well...

Archived