Observations from my Liberty Cruise...I'm soooo glad to be back home!!!

picklebongo

Mistake or being irresponsible, I know I was totally sleep deprived and stressed, didn't try and sugar coat it, I went to bed and a two hour window elapsed when security could have been informed.

I apologized profusely and was surprised the chief of security didn't make an issue of my lapse, he was more focused on the young woman.

I am curios after waiting and reading this nightmare you had with the young lady missing for so long? Did you ever find out where she was or with whom? Cause I would assume that once she was reported missing all the public areas where searched.

I can see how she would be completely in her own head at that point. Worried, then relieved. Easy to forget that others even exist.

True, but look at it from security's point of view, you have a woman who reports the disabled girl missing, you spend all night keeping an eye out for her, probably reviewing tape, searching -doing everything you can. Only to find out the missing girl was in the cabin the whole time and she doesn't have the common courtesy to pick up the phone.

Yeah I'd be more than pissed off.

Sorry I gave you the wrong impression, she was NOT in the cabin the whole time, she was missing for 18 hours. When I returned to the cabin at 6:30am she had returned and was asleep, I then went to bed. Security came to my cabin at 9:30am and I informed them she was there and asleep. They left, but did not visually see her and the chief came back at noon after the captain had yelled at him. Hope this is clear now, but I fully admit to being so exhausted and sleep deprived, I didn't think to even call.

True, but look at it from security's point of view, you have a woman who reports the disabled girl missing, you spend all night keeping an eye out for her, probably reviewing tape, searching -doing everything you can. Only to find out the missing girl was in the cabin the whole time and she doesn't have the common courtesy to pick up the phone.

Sadly, that anger was taken out on the wrong person then. And that is NOT right!

It must have been nerve wracking for everyone involved.

Sorry I gave you the wrong impression, she was NOT in the cabin the whole time, she was missing for 18 hours. When I returned to the cabin at 6:30am she had returned and was asleep, I then went to bed. Security came to my cabin at 9:30am and I informed them she was there and asleep. They left, but did not visually see her and the chief came back at noon after the captain had yelled at him. Hope this is clear now, but I fully admit to being so exhausted and sleep deprived, I didn't think to even call.

No, I got that you were on Lido then went back to the cabin and she was there after being missing.

Really scary stuff, I can only imagine the panic and then the relief on your part and even more so the part of the crew.

I can imagine this happening so clearly! Yes for sure. And how difficult it was for you.

Interesting about the missing person protoclo. My then 16 year old went missing the last night of our cruise. Never came back to the cabin and there we were trying to get off the ship and I cannot find my son. I was frantic! I searched everyplace and finally went to customer service. No real response. Not much of anything. I finally found him after a good hour or more looking, soundly soundly asleep on a sofa across from the O2 club. He is dark, and was in a shadow , so could not be seen. Someone who I had asked finally came and found me and asked me if it could be him. (I didn't have time to murder him before we got off the ship- I had to wait until we were on the plane flying home:eek:) But as I look back on it- it was rather odd that the customer service people did nothing to help at all. They didn't follow the apparent protocol. Wonder how often that happens?

Your response sounds like his anger should have been taken out on me for my two hour lapse, but the young woman was missing for 18 hours. I'm not advocating for anybody to get yelled at, but I certainly don't view myself as the bad guy in all of this.

I'm pretty sure that is directed at me. I did not mean to imply that you should have had to endure the rath of the security officer - please re-read my previous posts as I truly feel that he was 100% in the wrong.

He was not entitled to ream the young lady out (or anyone for that matter).

Do you know where she was for this 18 hours?

Yes, I later found out from the other young woman. It's not a pretty story.

I'm going to get some sleep. I dread what I'm going to wake up to if folks are so bothered by this at this time of the night. Just imagine when the vast majority of cc folks wake up. In one day I've gone from being bizarro to being irresponsible and I was just trying to take two disabled young women on an all expensive paid cruise. I attempted to put all the safety measures in place, but for two hours I forgot to inform security the person had returned, instead, crashed in my bed from absolute exhaustion.

He was not entitled to ream the young lady out (or anyone for that matter).

SOP. A serious talking to by security, police, whoever, is often called for and can make people come around and take notice. I would have been standing back and cheering him on if he had been lecturing my son- even if the language wasn't fully understandable the tone certainly was!

Yes, I later found out from the other young woman. It's not a pretty story.

I'm going to get some sleep. I dread what I'm going to wake up to if folks are so bothered by this at this time of the night. Just imagine when the vast majority of cc folks wake up. In one day I've gone from being bizarro to being irresponsible and I was just trying to take two disabled young women on an all expensive paid cruise. I attempted to put all the safety measures in place, but for two hours I forgot to inform security the person had returned, instead, crashed in my bed from absolute exhaustion.

If you try to please everyone here, and explain yourself to their satisfaction, you'll go nuts.

I have taught special education for over 15 years and for those of you that do not work with disabled individuals depending on the disability you may have to treat them as children. I worked with one group of students from 6th grade until they graduated and believe me they become your children so the OPs stress and fear is the same as if it was her on child. You are very brave to take on 2 disabled clients. I can not imagine what you went through with one of these ladies missing for 18 hours. And my question is why did it take security til the next morning to have that type of report in the chief security officers hands?

Funny how others complain about someone posting their experiences, giving their opinions, and making suggestions. Lesson learned some people need to get a life and please don't book the cruise I am on.

OP thank you for your work and the love of this group of people that you would be willing to take them on a once in a lifetime experience. For me lesson learned would be to leave home individuals that are unpredictable and have no fear but as you have said this was about lessons learned. Bless you and happy cruising

I'm not looking for people to tell me what a great person I am for taking these young women on a cruise, they had been doing great in so many areas and it was a reward of sorts.

kerrytens I understand where you are coming from, but the whole situation was tense and stressful, so I didn't get upset when the chief was venting. He was under pressure from the captain and when I encountered him during the cruise, he was cordial and professional.

Pickle, this was just wrong and I would report it to Carnival immediately. I hope that you wrote down his name.

This security officer was NOT entitled to ream out this young lady - no way, no how. His department did not follow protocol and he was told that by the captain. This did not give him the authority to take it all out on her.

Please don't let this incident slide. It was wrong on so many levels.

Please note: this is my mama bear side coming out. I have a special need's child and if ANYONE ever treated my daughter in such a manner, it would be the last thing they'd do ... ever!

Agree!!!

I would be very concerned that somebody on the ship took advantage of her, especially if people were buying her lots of drinks. This is my worst nightmare with both my developmentally disabled young adult DS's. The 21 yo is never out of our sight unless he is in the cabin asleep. The 19 yo is very independent and likes to "watch" such things as the disco, people playing games, ice carving, etc. I always give him a time to get back to the room or meet us somewhere. If he is even 5 minutes late, he is grounded!

You are very brave for taking these young ladies on this cruise with you.

SOP. A serious talking to by security, police, whoever, is often called for and can make people come around and take notice. I would have been standing back and cheering him on if he had been lecturing my son- even if the language wasn't fully understandable the tone certainly was!

I didn't want to tell kerrytens this because I know she is parenting a child with a disability, but what you stated is exactly how I was feeling in this situation. It seemed very appropriate at the time and her disability is not so severe that she could not grasp what he was communicating. It did have some impact and I actually wrote a letter and left it at guest services complimenting security for how the whole situation was handled.

Thank you for posting.

Ignore the naysayers, CC is just like life, it takes all kinds of people to make the world. I just learn to not be negative Nellies like them!

I have a 20 yr old spectrum son. I am his Legal Guardian, too. I feel for you, but, no way would I let him out my sight, or other responsibe parties sailing with us. No Way. Ever. He too is a standout in the crowd and everybody loves him, but he is also vulnerable. Way too vulnerable. It seems you did not know this client well enough or something. Please concentrate on the wonderful experience of your other client. Her comments brought tears to my eyes!

Now book that solo cruise and heal thyself! Happy Cruising.............

I appreciate trip report detailing your cruise. I think it was detailed, accurate, and a balanced report of what happened. Some of the people who are giving you a hard time are only focusing on the bits and pieces of your trip report that upset them. If one takes the time to read all of the pieces of your trip report in it's entirety, then IMHO they will see that you were providing a factual, balanced review.

I think we need to give this person a break. She came on here to share her trip. While I don't think I would ever do what she did, some of the information is helpful. It never really occurred to me how the ship security would respond to a missing person report. However, if I am ever in a similar situation, I will remember the importance of letting security know when my travel companion is located.

Kudos to the ship's captain for getting after the security person. If they had done it right the first time, then OP would not have been put through this stress. And the passenger would not have been at risk for 18 hours.

Picklebongo, I hope your next cruise goes better than this one. LOL

I didn't want to tell kerrytens this because I know she is parenting a child with a disability, but what you stated is exactly how I was feeling in this situation. It seemed very appropriate at the time and her disability is not so severe that she could not grasp what he was communicating. It did have some impact and I actually wrote a letter and left it at guest services complimenting security for how the whole situation was handled.

I am also the parent of a child with a disability. What a security officer said would have a LOT more impact than anything I would say. At a certain point- depending how disabled they are- having to face the consequences of their actions is best.

I am his Legal Guardian, too. I feel for you, but, no way would I let him out my sight, or other responsibe parties sailing with us. No Way. Ever. He too is a standout in the crowd and everybody loves him, but he is also vulnerable. Way too vulnerable. It seems you did not know this client well enough or something.

I last fall had to deal with the fact that I will not live forever. Just saying.

Pickle, this was just wrong and I would report it to Carnival immediately. I hope that you wrote down his name.

This security officer was NOT entitled to ream out this young lady - no way, no how. His department did not follow protocol and he was told that by the captain. This did not give him the authority to take it all out on her.

Please don't let this incident slide. It was wrong on so many levels.

Please note: this is my mama bear side coming out. I have a special need's child and if ANYONE ever treated my daughter in such a manner, it would be the last thing they'd do ... ever!

The seriousness of the situation and the possibilites of what COULD have happened with a lost person at sea (regardless of her disability) warranted the 'lashing'. Trust, after the security officer was done, she would've gotten more from me. Period.

I applaud the OP for taking her clients on this cruise and even smiled at the mention of the other girl's appreciation of the experience...however I think she is due a vacation to recover from this vacation. LOL.

Thanks for posting...

Can you really fault that waiter and call it a complaint that made your cruise bad? An accident, such as this can happen anywhere - from the hole in the wall diner to an upscale 5 star restaurant in the heart of Hollywood - it happens. I'm sure the waiter was probably embarrassed and felt horrible, but he/she is human and we all have faults. I'm sorry, but that sounds a bit like nit-picking to me. So far I have read nothing in your review up until this point that would become a huge negative to me and ruin my cruise.

I'm not saying that getting several dinners dumped on my head would ruin my whole cruise, but it would have definitely ruined my night. I feel so bad for that woman.

Archived