Observations from my Liberty Cruise...I'm soooo glad to be back home!!!

picklebongo

... People were constantly buying her beer, dod's, etc., which lead up to her troubles. Not wanting to leave anybody hanging, she did not return to the cabin for 18 hours and their lies the problem.

Woohoo it looks like my hopes might come true. Please tell me there is a kidnapped mexican rodeo midget or something involved. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for the review and sharing your experiences. Ignore the haters.

Oh my, I think you need a solo vacation so you can relax and recover.

You had some good ideas there. A clock in the cabin would be great and showing the ports and excursions on the big screen (periodically) sounds like a good promotion. (we went to the Caribbean but missed the Ruins,so have to go back!!).

I would never think of the debarking card thing for kids but sounds like a great precaution especially for young ones.

Can't wait to read the rest.

The service in the dining room was very uneven. Many tables were finishing their dinner as we were getting our first course. I struggled to get beverage service each time and there never was repeat service. On the last night, at the table next to ours were 10 Japanese tourists, I met some of them on the ship. Their waiter hefted their dinners on a large round tray, all the plates were covered, of course, and as he got to their table, he must have stumbled. The entire tray, with all of their dinners, fell on the head of one of the women! It was an accident, but can you imagine, she left the table literally in tears with a couple of the other women who were trying to clean her up, stuff was all over her head, down her dress, you get the point.

Can you really fault that waiter and call it a complaint that made your cruise bad? An accident, such as this can happen anywhere - from the hole in the wall diner to an upscale 5 star restaurant in the heart of Hollywood - it happens. I'm sure the waiter was probably embarrassed and felt horrible, but he/she is human and we all have faults. I'm sorry, but that sounds a bit like nit-picking to me. So far I have read nothing in your review up until this point that would become a huge negative to me and ruin my cruise.

Yes great minds do think a like, could also be that I am part Irish :D

Bingo!:D

Not trying to be a jerk but you didnt have to read her thread. (which judging by your conclusions you didnt really read it) Dont let it get to you.

Exactly!

HUH?? she stated she has a toddler, hence the "baby"....

just pass by the post if all you are going to do is make nasty cracks, GEESH!

My sentiments, exactly, Anna!;)

Thanks Picklebongo for your thoughts ... Cruising with adults with MR/DD I'm sure is difficult. They have their own set of challenges that most of us don't recognize. Good tip about having the computer red flag their S&S cards.

You also had good tips about "knowing your audience" and put appropriate shows/concerts/information on the big screen.

Good to hear you liked Guy's burger joint and the mexican restaurant ... I've been wondering about them!

*I also like reading about pre and post cruise hotels ...

As with all reviews that I read, I take what I need and leave the rest. To each their own! If people don't get it, they should move on to another thread. ;)

Pickle, thanks for coming back with an update, and some pro's and con's to your cruise. Sounds like you had a whole bunch more issues than many of us would normally have...kudos to you for embarking on that adventure with the young ladies;)

I despise the big screen, and if I had to be subjected to Hannah Montana and Justin Bieber concerts, that would have fixed me for sure:eek: When we were recently on the Freedom, every movie they played was geared for kids...even the late ones. Sometimes Carnival is a bit TOO family oriented, IMO. I will argue your idea about showing videos of the ports, however, because they did that on the Freedom....over and over and over again. That's pretty much all that was on during the day...just a waste. As far as I'm concerned, for the few decent things they show, it is just not worth it, and as you said, just makes the Lido more noisy. Did you ever try going to the adult pool area in the aft? Much more pleasant back there. I don't hang out back there because I'm not allowed to smoke there, but when I quit, you won't find me anywhere near the big screen.

Freedom had the Tandoori Grill on main Lido for Indian...maybe they took it off the Liberty when they made the 2.0 upgrades?

I think what you've said so far is balanced, and some things are more important to some people than to others. I'm sure the stress of your security issues did not help your feeling about the cruise overall...like someone else said, you need a vacation from your vacation now. Looking forward to hearing the rest...

Question though... why does everyone always tell us about their room steward... and tell us about how thy want to leave them special gifts.... BUT, they don't mention anything about the person who cleans their hotel room? Don't they get special gifts too? (calling cards, etc)??

I always leave a few dollars tip as a token of appreciation. I'd probably leave more if they turned down my bed, maybe left a chocolate and a towel animal.

I always leave a few dollars tip as a token of appreciation. I'd probably leave more if they turned down my bed, maybe left a chocolate and a towel animal.

Minus the towel animal, they do all of the rest. I can do without the towel animal... Even that being the case, I'm sorry... And I know I will take heat for this... But many times I find it very patronizing and out of line.

Picklebongo, thanks for coming back to continue your review! Im not sure I understand your relationship with the ladies you cruised with, other than they are your clients, and have some disabilities, but probably nobodies business either.

Also, sorry, I work weekends and stat holidays, so it never occurred to me that you were probably working today...duh...what I was doing too! So, sorry for my previous post. Thanks for posting.:)

Can you really fault that waiter and call it a complaint that made your cruise bad? An accident, such as this can happen anywhere - from the hole in the wall diner to an upscale 5 star restaurant in the heart of Hollywood - it happens. I'm sure the waiter was probably embarrassed and felt horrible, but he/she is human and we all have faults. I'm sorry, but that sounds a bit like nit-picking to me. So far I have read nothing in your review up until this point that would become a huge negative to me and ruin my cruise.

correct me if I'm wrong but I don't recall her saying that situation made her cruise bad.....or that her cruise was bad at all.

You people just like to take peoples posts and run with it. SHEESH.

As the parent of a DD young adult- cruising can be both great and enough to drive you nuts! 2? You are a braver woman than I am for sure. But my earlier statement does stand- there is drama coming. But much of your review makes me a bit sad- wish I had started cruising just a bit earlier. :rolleyes:

And I must admit- sitting next to a train wreck in the dining room does certainly not make for a nicer cruise. Poor woman and poor waiter- something like that happened once to me- clam chowder from toes to top of head. In a room full of young men- and me a young woman. Not something you forget.

What hotel do you stay at pre-cruise where they come in for turn down service, and leave a chocolate on your pillow? (I'm just asking, not criticizing.)

Omni Hotels come to mind. But not pre-cruise as there usually aren't any in the ports we sail from.

Baby is in the bath, so I can post can, yes I'm watching her as I post on the laptop.

I chose to put the money on their cards the second day because I felt by then they would be in their groove. We didn't get on the ship until noon the first day and I purchased their first beverage, also the second day. I didn't want them to spend it all right away, so I wanted them to settle in first, get a sense of what cruising was about, see venues, get in the rhythm and then spend what money was available.

There was no tandoori grill on this ship. I could see the annoyance if they played port videos all day, but I think a balance would be good.

I wasn't by any means implying that a dropped tray ruined my cruise. This didn't even happen to me, it was just an observation mind you. I just shared an experience because out of 9 cruises, I had never seen an entire tray dropped on someones head. Anybody else?

My cruise was not ruined by anything. My thread said I am sooooo glad to be home because it was the stress of trying to keep up with these two 21 year old young women. If I had been on the same ship, with the same things going on, but with my family/friends, it would have been a blast.

As I said earlier, one of the young women disappeared for 18 hours and I was literally worried sick. Of course we were at sea and had not made a port and I knew she couldn't get off the ship, but as you know, all manner of things could have happened to her. This young woman is very vulnerable and easily taken advantage of, everybody is her friend after they introduce themselves.

After she had been missing for a period of time, I called security myself and reported that she was missing. Given she was already in the system as being disabled, they took me seriously. They asked me to come to guest services, in the middle of the night and do a written report. Two officers met me there and took an extensive report, which I had to sign.

Archived