European River Cruise with Young Children?

GoldenRose

After rereading the OP posts, I think there is a special reason for all of them to cruise together THIS year. That being the case, the best lines for special family cruising are Criosi Europe and Uniworld. I'd be more afraid of a toddler on a barge than on a river boat. Good luck to her. Pat

Thanks for all the input. .

You come across as a very considerate parent who is raising worldly kids!

I actually think the earlier kids are exposed to this type of environment, the better they adjust and learn (long dinners, being around adults, practicing manners at special dinners, etc...). Most people I know wouldn't be bothered by cruising with well behaved kids.

I hope you are able to find a cruise that meets your family's needs.

You come across as a very considerate parent who is raising worldly kids!

I actually think the earlier kids are exposed to this type of environment, the better they adjust and learn (long dinners, being around adults, practicing manners at special dinners, etc...). Most people I know wouldn't be bothered by cruising with well behaved kids.

I hope you are able to find a cruise that meets your family's needs.

I lived overseas five years when my kids were 5-10 and 11-16. My Daughter (11-16) took in all the travel and loved it. My Son doesn't remember much prior to about age 8, then he started taking in the travel. Now both of them are big travelers and have a great appreciation of history, culture and the World.

There was a family on a Viking cruise I went on, they had young children to teenagers. The teenagers were in a room next to us and the parents and younger children were across from them. I only know they were there as the teenagers asked to borrow my camera charger as they had the same camera as I did. We never heard any noise.

The little girls danced at night with the music and they all had fun.

Everyone on the ship seemed to enjoy the children.

There´s a big difference between a river cruise and an ocean cruise. On a river cruise you usually don´t have any sea days, maybe just an afternoon. So you spend most of the time eating or ashore. The boats arrive in the morning and depart in the evening cruising during the night.

It´s absolutely possible to do a river cruise with kids. As parents you sure have to do your homework and be prepared. You don´t need a kids club. My DD is used to both types of traveling and sure she had some boring moments. But when a kid knows how to behave and is used to be in company with adults it´s doable!

steamboats

Have you considered an Alaska cruise on one of the larger cruise lines? We sailed on the Coral Princess with nieces and nephews years ago and our July cruise only had one day with waves of more than 1.5 feet (not at all noticeable on a large cruise ship) and that day still was pretty darn calm. There were many family groups on board and plenty of kid-friendly activities.

Your children do sound like they are great travelers (my compliments for doing such a wonderful job raising them) but it may not be fair to them to expect them to travel with no other children on board.

Have you considered an Alaska cruise on one of the larger cruise lines? We sailed on the Coral Princess with nieces and nephews years ago and our July cruise only had one day with waves of more than 1.5 feet (not at all noticeable on a large cruise ship) and that day still was pretty darn calm. There were many family groups on board and plenty of kid-friendly activities..

Unfortunately while Alaska can be very calm, it can be very rough also. I have cruised Alaska 7x and experienced both.

So, you have lots of opinions here... We CCers are good at that!! <grin>

At the end of the day, you must make a decision that works for you and your family.

There was one young child on our Tulip Time Cruise (? around 8) - and she seemed to enjoy the experience. Everyone on the cruise took an interest - and there did not appear to be anyone who was "annoyed" by the presence of one so young on board. Now - if the Captain could have done something about the loud and obnoxious senior (ie: retirement age) "child" that threw a tantrum in the dining room one morning, the rest of us would have, I am sure, applauded his actions. He was mad because the Captain wouldn't turn the boat around so his cabin would face out into the water.

The point I am trying to make is that you must do what is best for you. You obviously know your children, and what makes them happy. I doubt that there are any children today who do not have some time being bored - even with TV, the internet etc. If you bring children on a river cruise, you plan for their entertainment on your own. It seems that you have taken that into consideration.

You obviously care about family - as you are trying to make plans that are best for 2 of the other adults in your party.

I say "go for it"... You might hear some muttered comments, but they will most likely be from people who are looking for something or someone to complain about. Those people are everywhere --> I have yet to take a vacation where I have not met at least one. I have learned to ignore them.

I think that you will meet lots of people who will think you are crazy for trying (just because it is a lot of work, and people with recognize that...) and quite enjoy the young presence on board. We were not in a position to travel beyond North America while our children were still in school. We travel alone now, but that does not mean that I couldn't (or wouldn't) enjoy the presence of young faces and voices. (If we travelled with our youngest... who would mind our dogs??? <grin>

Have fun planning. Good Luck!!!

Fran

P.S. I am one of those people who get seasick on a big ship. We did Alaska on the Island Princess, and it was *NOT* a smooth sailing through the inside passage... That is why I have moved to the rivers....

I think that the parents are the ones who have to decide whether or not a river cruise would be appropriate, since they know their children. The only times when all the passengers are all together in a confined space is during meals, and breakfast and lunch are rather a rush. So that leaves dinner, where things are quieter. But I think that we could all tolerate occasional disturbances-haven't we all been through that with our kids? When we travel, we should expect some disruptions, and just accept them and enjoy the good experiences-otherwise it'll be difficult to have an enjoyable trip. It's the parents I would be more concerned about. They will have a difficult time enjoying the trip when they have to keep their kids occupied. And the excursions may be a problem, but they can always wander around the towns themselves if the walking tours are too much. So I agree w/some of the posters-if you feel you are up to it, then go for it. I myself would not mind cruising w/your family.

I think that the parents are the ones who have to decide whether or not a river cruise would be appropriate, since they know their children. The only times when all the passengers are all together in a confined space is during meals, and breakfast and lunch are rather a rush. So that leaves dinner, where things are quieter. But I think that we could all tolerate occasional disturbances-haven't we all been through that with our kids? When we travel, we should expect some disruptions, and just accept them and enjoy the good experiences-otherwise it'll be difficult to have an enjoyable trip. It's the parents I would be more concerned about. They will have a difficult time enjoying the trip when they have to keep their kids occupied. And the excursions may be a problem, but they can always wander around the towns themselves if the walking tours are too much. So I agree w/some of the posters-if you feel you are up to it, then go for it. I myself would not mind cruising w/your family.

Well said. I have been on a Med cruise with my Grandchildren, and frankly it was tough on my Daughter. My Granddaughter was 3 and a handful.

I think children could do a river cruise, but I would not want to talk my Grandchildren on one.

Golden Rose - Uniworld is offering 2 "multigenerational" cruises on each the Paris & Normandy and Burgundy cruises this summer. While we haven't personally tried one et, the reviews I've read of last year's Danube cruise was encouraging and well set for kids.

They don't have the activities finalized for ths year's trips yet, so we are anxiously awaiting them.

I have a 6 & 8 year old who have travelled pretty extensively in the last few years, and while I likely wouldn't consider taking them on a regular river cruise - based on general comments here, I doubt they'd be well received and I don't care to spend my hard earned money listening to curmudgeons moan about my kids before they've even had the chance to misbehave - the multigenerational cruise is geared for families.

the multigenerational cruise is pretty clearly marked, so I woud expect people booking those dates to be more tolerant of kids! My 6yo is great unless she misses a snack and her blood sugar drops, then she gets fussy, but my MIL has the same problem, so we have to plan snack breaks regardless!!!

It's worth talking to someone at Uniworld about the daily activities.

I don't know whether to "sit on my hands" or to reply. I must be a curmudgeon because I don't welcome children on river cruises. We have 9 wonderful grandchildren. We took 7 of them to DisneyWorld last fall. The kids had a wonderful time. Disney is not my favorite vacation destination but it is for the grandchildren. We're taking some of the grandchildren on the Oasis of the Seas in 2013. Oasis isn't our kind of cruise ship but the grandchildren will love it. I would NEVER take my wonderful well behaved grandchildren on a River cruise...the cabins are too small, safety issues with the stairs, etc and most of all they would hate it!!!

Archived