August 8-12 NYC Cruisers Alert

mommyto2girls

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, since I don't know anything about NYC and the Manhattan port, should I be worried about time on Sunday, Aug 12th? We will be locked into the Trans-Bridge bus service from PA arriving at "1:45" to the port. Will there be expected delays on that day that could cause us to cut it too close to sailaway on Veendam? 4:45 is scheduled sailaway time. In other wards, when this type of traffic occurs in NYC are we talking hours behind?

Thanks!

Hi, since I don't know anything about NYC and the Manhattan port, should I be worried about time on Sunday, Aug 12th? We will be locked into the Trans-Bridge bus service from PA arriving at "1:45" to the port. Will there be expected delays on that day that could cause us to cut it too close to sailaway on Veendam? 4:45 is scheduled sailaway time. In other wards, when this type of traffic occurs in NYC are we talking hours behind?

Thanks!

I posted the complete schedule on page 1 of this thread. I have no idea what the bus route is but you should be ok. Double check the route they take, there are a lot of things going on at the piers that day.

I posted the complete schedule on page 1 of this thread. I have no idea what the bus route is but you should be ok. Double check the route they take, there are a lot of things going on at the piers that day.

Thanks, Mommy ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

we are non NYers and coming back on the glory on that Sat Aug 11. Is the Manhattan pier and Pier 92 the same thing?

Will it be hard to find cabs or transportation around 10:30 am that morning. Will all 5 of us be able to find a van sized taxi or is there other transportation you locals would recconmmend?

We will traveling to Sunnyside queens after disembarking, to visit my daughter (who just moved there last week, so she is also a newbie to NY and not able to offer much advice).

Also my 17 yr old son will be flying from Cali on a red eye the day of the cruise Mon Aug 6 getting in at 9:30a (the rest of us are flying a couple days before that) -- should he take the carnival transfer for $30 or a taxi for $45?

Thanks for any advice

we are non NYers and coming back on the glory on that Sat Aug 11. Is the Manhattan pier and Pier 92 the same thing?

Will it be hard to find cabs or transportation around 10:30 am that morning. Will all 5 of us be able to find a van sized taxi or is there other transportation you locals would recconmmend?

We will traveling to Sunnyside queens after disembarking' date=' to visit my daughter (who just moved there last week, so she is also a newbie to NY and not able to offer much advice).

Also my 17 yr old son will be flying from Cali on a red eye the day of the cruise Mon Aug 6 getting in at 9:30a (the rest of us are flying a couple days before that) -- should he take the carnival transfer for $30 or a taxi for $45?

Thanks for any advice[/quote']

Yes the Manhattan pier and pier 92 are the same.

Yes there will be plenty of cabs available. But due to this event there will be some traffic.

If Carnival has a transfer I would go with that. Cabs are fine but if you can save 15 dollars.

• 1 month later...
this event will not involve any nyc street closures, why are you getting people all worked up and worried?

The poster is just warning cruisers sailing on these dates that traffic may be impacted and to allow extra time.

I am sailing out on 8/11 so now I'm aware of what's going on as I have never been to NYC.

There was a thread a while back about someone actually missing the ship due to an event in New Orleans that caused horrible traffic jams. If they had known, they could have left earlier.

The poster is just warning cruisers sailing on these dates that traffic may be impacted and to allow extra time.

I am sailing out on 8/11 so now I'm aware of what's going on as I have never been to NYC.

There was a thread a while back about someone actually missing the ship due to an event in New Orleans that caused horrible traffic jams. If they had known, they could have left earlier.

this will be no different than any other saturday and sunday in the summer. street closures (like for the marathon, half marathon, bike races) are the only things people should be concerned about. An event that draws in an extra few thousand people is insignificant with 10 million people in the city every day.

this event will not involve any nyc street closures, why are you getting people all worked up and worried?

This involves alot of closures in and around the piers and the West Dise Highway. Having spent 11 years on these boards I have found this type of info really helpful not matter what port I cruise from. I would also warn people about the new construction closures on the GWB and Lincoln Tunnel.

I did not see anyone being worked up..just giving people a heads up on traffic and some closures along the highway. It is only insignificant if you are not cruising that day.

So this whole warning was for nothing?

Hope it didn't scare anyone!

Thanks for the confirm.

It was not for nothing..Saturday was quite difficult for anyone heading to the pier crossing the GW Bridge the Palisades Interstae was closed all day there were lane closures on the GWB and the West Side Highway was backed up in both directions much more than usual. Hotels were booked solid. I have no idea why you have posted no big deal when I assume you do not live in the heart of this event, I worked it, I live here and I watched the traffic and congestion. As of right now the sponsors are signed up for the next 2 years here but that may change if the cost goes up. Better to be safe than sorry on the day of your cruise.

• 4 weeks later...

We got that info at work yesterday morning,I am fine with it. Lol

Archived