Would you drive 8 hours to a port instead of flying?

cruzlovr75

I used to live on the east coast so I know how far 8 hours can be to some people. I used to fly that far if the price is right or I'd driver. Either way.

Now that I live in Texas, 8 hours is nothing. It can take 12 hours to get somewhere. And with the price of air fare these days, yes, I'll drive 8 hours in a heartbeat.

Thankfully Galveston is only 4 hours away but I'd drive to NoLA if I wanted to go there instead.

Yes, 8 hours from here hardly gets me out of Texas!

The time to drive 8 hours is almost the same time to fly somewhere that is 8 hours away by land given the time for check-in, security screening, baggage claim, transportation to the pier, etc. Plus all the extra requirements for carry-on vs checked bags at the airport. The onyl downside is the 8 hour drive home... :(

$1000 heck yeah!!!!

$200 probably not

How much time are you really losing?

Driving = 8hrs

Flying = 4:15 hrs or more

Time to get to airport (30 mins - 1hr)

+ Time at airport before flight (1.5 - 2 hrs)

+ Flight (1 - 1.5hrs)

+ Time at airport after landing to get off plane and get bags (45 mins)

+ Possible delays (?)

+ Time to get from airport to port/hotel (30 mins)

You are looking at spending $1000 to save at most 3hrs 45mins. This would probably be lost on debarkation day when you had to fly back since you would likely have an afternoon flight.

We are driving 12 hours each way in April for our cruise. It will save us at least $1000, and none of that airport hassle. My husband and I love road trips, and we are trying to get our boys used to them, so when we do cross country trips when they are older, they won't be awful.

It depends on how many people how much it will save.

With my family of 4, you would never catch us flying unless it was to CA since we are closer to the east coast.

Our last cruise was 17 hours each way, our next will be 19. With the last one, we saved about $2200 with driving. And that includes 2 hotels, gas, food, and car maintenance. For the 19 hours we are going to be adding 1 hotel night, but figure if air prices stay the same they are today (yeah... right!!) we will end up saving about $2000.

I would be more than willing to drive as far as Galveston (27 hour drive each way) since we use to drive to Houston 1-2 times a year as it was in the past.

With air fare not just being well.. airfare anymore it can be outrageous! One I got 4 people booked, payed for bags for 4 people, paid for food in the airport (2 kids... gotta eat!) and dinner/breakfast, payed to park at the airport, paid for a hotel, and paid for transportation to and from the port, it comes out to a lot more than just airfare these days!

A 3-4 day drive each way would end up pushing up enough time that no matter what it is, it would be just easier to fly. Or better yet, go to a closer port and take a 14 day cruise!

Yes, we would definitely do it. We have driven several times to Long Beach. It's about 6 hours or slightly over that. If it's a decent savings in money then it's worth it. For our next cruise in November I wanted to fly, but we will save alot by driving so will probably do it again. For a $1,000 savings I would do it for sure!!!! You could use that money for other things!

Driving for us would save about $1000 on airfare.

I'm not sure whether you took the cost of driving into account in that figure, but if your talking about a 500 mile drive and your car gets 25 mpg, that's 20 gallons of gas, or perhaps $70. Then again, you might have to pay $70 or more baggage fees if you fly. Also include the cost of parking at the port. It might be something like $15 a day, or a little over $100 for a 7 day cruise. But you could avoid the cost of a shuttle from the airport to the port and back, which would save a little of that back.

The time to drive 8 hours is almost the same time to fly somewhere that is 8 hours away by land given the time for check-in, security screening, baggage claim, transportation to the pier, etc.

A good point. With having to be there early for the flight, and possible a layover if it's not a direct flight, 8 hours driving might not take much more time.

We are driving from central NC to Miami in March for our cruise, about 12 hours each way. We will drive to Titusville the first day, then are using hotel points to stay overnight. Then we will only have 3 hours to drive the day of the cruise. We will drive the whole way back in one day after the cruise; not something I look forward to!

There are 4 of us, so airfare would be at least $1500. Looking forward to next year when the oldest will have his license and share the driving!

Just curious if anyone has or would drive 8 hours to a port and home from a port for a cruise? Or would you choose to fly there? Driving for us would save about $1000 on airfare. So that sounds good too!

I think you just answered your own question!

Just curious if anyone has or would drive 8 hours to a port and home from a port for a cruise? Or would you choose to fly there? Driving for us would save about $1000 on airfare. So that sounds good too!

In a heart beat!

that is a great savings for only 8 hour drive.

Archived