What do you tip the butler?

ripjerry95

Did the butler bring you snacks every day? Any meals ensuite?

I don't think that it's necessary to tip for the daily snacks. That's not a special request and someone who doesn't ask for anything special don't have to tip, I think.

A meal in the suite is very different. Our next cruise will be a 12 night cruise and we might have one dinner in our suite and for that we will defenitely tip, I'm not sure yet how much but probably around 40-50 $.

We always tip when we order breakfast to our suite.

Ok so let me get this straight. I will be in my first suite for a 3 day cruise (aft penthouse on the Sky). We will most likely have breakfast in our suite 2 days and will ask for snacks. Most likely will. to need the use of a consigneor because such a short trip. This is what I plan $50 for Butler, $20 for consigneor, $30 for Room Steward. Is this good? This is in addition to our DSC there are two of us. Thanks.

Ok so let me get this straight. I will be in my first suite for a 3 day cruise (aft penthouse on the Sky). We will most likely have breakfast in our suite 2 days and will ask for snacks. Most likely will. to need the use of a consigneor because such a short trip. This is what I plan $50 for Butler, $20 for consigneor, $30 for Room Steward. Is this good? This is in addition to our DSC there are two of us. Thanks.

I think I'd switch it up just a little by giving the Butler $60, the Concierge $40-$50 and the room Steward $20. The room steward is included in the DSC and many times pax only give them an extra $20 for a 7 day cruise. We gave him an extra $40 for a 7 day but he really was extremely kind as was our Butler. Again, JMHO.

I think it is absolutely fair and at the same time one of the reasons why I think paying people through tips is broken by design.

If half of his suite guests or even more think like that he will probably have serious financial problems and there is nothing he can do to make the situation better.

I do not use or want a butler and yes I have a suite booked. I do not tip for services not rendered. I am more then fair in stating upfront not to service me so I am not stiffing them by using services then not paying. I choose a staeroom that I want and then won't have extra services "forced" on me that I don't want. What they earn or what their financial situation is, none of my business. I don't worry about other people's salary, be it passengers or staff, not my business.

The butler and concierge don't receive any of the daily service charge, so your reason for not tipping them is factually incorrect and meaningless. Earlier you said you didn't tip the butler because you don't use the butler's services. Now you're saying it's because you think the service charge is enough (even though none the service charge goes to the butler). Sounds like you're having trouble keeping your story straight.

What don't you understand? I don't use a butler and don't tip for service not received. The cabin steward is in the daily service charge and i leave my daily service charge intact which is the correct compensation per NCL.

What don't you understand? I don't use a butler and don't tip for service not received. The cabin steward is in the daily service charge and i leave my daily service charge intact which is the correct compensation per NCL.

Nobody is obliged to tip the butler even if they use him. tipping is an individual thing.

Certainly if he is not used, I would never consider tipping him.

When in Europe, I doubt butlers are tipped very much at all, as the UK site (and maybe the EU site) makes no real mention of tipping the butler.

Personally I will tip.

I don't think that it's necessary to tip for the daily snacks. That's not a special request and someone who doesn't ask for anything special don't have to tip, I think.

A meal in the suite is very different. Our next cruise will be a 12 night cruise and we might have one dinner in our suite and for that we will defenitely tip, I'm not sure yet how much but probably around 40-50 $.

We always tip when we order breakfast to our suite.

I respectfully disagree. I sometimes read "I did not use the butler so I did not give a tip"... So I ask "did they bring you snacks?" I look at it like a waiter. If they do the basics then they should still be thanked monetarily. I respect your opinion but disagree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I respectfully disagree. I sometimes read "I did not use the butler so I did not give a tip"... So I ask "did they bring you snacks?" I look at it like a waiter. If they do the basics then they should still be thanked monetarily. I respect your opinion but disagree.

I'm in total agreement, but unfortunately, no matter how we see things and no matter what we think is right or wrong, others will do as they please to maintain their ideals. We that are able to cruise, IMO, are so very lucky.

It's probably a good thing that some pax "over tip" just to make up for those who feel they are above the rest and are entitled to services rendered without providing any kind of compensation. :(

We will be in our first suite and plan on tipping. We have always tipped the steward a small amount like 20$ just as I always leave a tip in a hotel room after I stay. I see some tip during the cruise. I was just planning on leaving a tip at the end of the cruise. When do most of you leave the tip?

I'm in total agreement, but unfortunately, no matter how we see things and no matter what we think is right or wrong, others will do as they please to maintain their ideals. We that are able to cruise, IMO, are so very lucky.

It's probably a good thing that some pax "over tip" just to make up for those who feel they are above the rest and are entitled to services rendered without providing any kind of compensation. :(

I feel fortunate that I can afford to travel in a suite. It is not because I am super rich but I make it a priority. Being divorced with no kids helps because I am in charge of my own budget. Because I support others in my job I appreciate when I am thanked, both in compensation and verbally, so maybe I can relate more.

I also feel if I can afford a suite I need to also afford the ancillary charges that apply.

We will be in our first suite and plan on tipping. We have always tipped the steward a small amount like 20$ just as I always leave a tip in a hotel room after I stay. I see some tip during the cruise. I was just planning on leaving a tip at the end of the cruise. When do most of you leave the tip?

I always tip after for butler, concierge and steward. I leave $5 each time I dine at Cagneys (Il Adagio on Sun) which is by no means expected.

Im not talking about the DSC I was referring to the Butler and Concierge.

It's ok, some people should just be ignored, literally!

We tipped a little in the venue used for breakfast and lunch for suite pax, (on the Pearl it's Cagney's) and then at the end for the main tips, such as the Butler and Concierge who are not included in the DSC and the room steward, as well, even though they are included in the DSC.

As I said earlier, we who can cruise, are very fortunate so a little extra for tips could be added to your budget, JMHO. :)

Thanks everybody..Im glad tipping at Breakfast and lunch was mentioned..not sure I would have thought of that one!! I definitely like the idea of tipping at the end so glad to see many of you do that. Looking so forward to the "suite" life!! Will also be our first cruise without our kids..which is why we can afford the suite this time around!

Thanks everybody..Im glad tipping at Breakfast and lunch was mentioned..not sure I would have thought of that one!! I definitely like the idea of tipping at the end so glad to see many of you do that. Looking so forward to the "suite" life!! Will also be our first cruise without our kids..which is why we can afford the suite this time around!

Usually the butler, room steward, and concierge are "around" on the last day, and we always give them cash or envelopes then.

(Not to you) -- I can understand someone REFUSING service, and then not paying any tips for it, but to be disruptive and keep posting on this thread about it... is it really neccessary?

I find it interesting seeing some people say they use the concierge much more than the butler. Maybe because we pre-plan everything (already have all our shows, and all meals except one booked for our June trip), we rarely use the concierge. But of course we still tip based on everything they do behind the scenes. And the one time we really needed him (to cancel a non-cancellable excursion), we tipped accordingly for the above and beyond service.

Ahhhh yes he did. So did I under tip him? Honestly we used the Concierge much more than the butler. Now I feel bad! :(

I wouldn't feel bad, you made an honest attempt, and you can make it up next time.

The cheapos who intentionally don't tip should feel bad. :D

My family is cruising for the first time in a suite. I'm trying to figure out the "proper" amount to tip the butler and concierge (providing , of course, I'm happy with the service we receive). So, as a baseline, for a family of four at $10 per day, per person, that comes to $280. I'm assuming that is for the butler and then I guess half of that for the concierge? Does that sound right?

My family is cruising for the first time in a suite. I'm trying to figure out the "proper" amount to tip the butler and concierge (providing , of course, I'm happy with the service we receive). So, as a baseline, for a family of four at $10 per day, per person, that comes to $280. I'm assuming that is for the butler and then I guess half of that for the concierge? Does that sound right?

Yes that is exactly what I give from my family of 4 when the service is excellent.

:)

That is exactly what I do.

I really appreciate threads about tipping. To me one of the best parts of every cruise we take is the excellent service standard on the cruise lines. Our next cruise will be our first time in a true suite with butler and concierge and can't wait to experience this level of service.

Tipping for me is fun! We are very lucky to have what we have and appreciative anytime someone is willing to work hard so we have an enjoyable vacation. I like reading that most cc members replying to this thread are more concerned with not tipping too little vs did I tip too much.

Our talks with the crew members are rewarding and we remember them fondly as much as any other part of the trip. Remember we should be happier than the crew, we're on vacation.

I really appreciate threads about tipping. To me one of the best parts of every cruise we take is the excellent service standard on the cruise lines. Our next cruise will be our first time in a true suite with butler and concierge and can't wait to experience this level of service.

Tipping for me is fun! We are very lucky to have what we have and appreciative anytime someone is willing to work hard so we have an enjoyable vacation. I like reading that most cc members replying to this thread are more concerned with not tipping too little vs did I tip too much.

Our talks with the crew members are rewarding and we remember them fondly as much as any other part of the trip. Remember we should be happier than the crew, we're on vacation.

Would gladly cruise with you any day!

Enjoy the "suite life" and be warned: it is addictive!