Salaries for Cruise Employees

mongo1973

When I was in College in the the late 1980's, I had two friends that were so excited to go and work on a cruise ship. They told me it is going to be so much fun, and they were hoping to meet lots of Hot Guys! They lasted one week and walked off and never went back. They came back and told us it was terrible. They said they had to work all of the time, and that they were not allowed to hang out at the pool with the guests. It was not what they thought is was going to be. I thought it was so funny.

And you want to know why Americans.......at least as of now, don't want to work for a cruise line. Our President gives a couple of years worth of unemployment benefits..........why even work!

So why do you think Americans as of 5 years ago or 10 years ago didn't want to work for a cruise line? There was no 2 years worth of unemployment benefits then, was there?

I guess for me, it's not that I "care", it's that I'm curious. I would never ask, but if someone wanted to tell me, I would certainly be interested in knowing. Not just what a waiter gets paid, but any profession. I'd love to know what the captain of the ship makes, but I'd never ask. I just like to learn new things, whether it's how much a person gets for doing a particular job, or how something works, or whatever! I guess I'm just a curious person.

I think wanting to know what others make is a bit beyond curiosity.... I think another word describes it. jMHO

jc

I think wanting to know what others make is a bit beyond curiosity.... I think another word describes it. jMHO

jc

Wanting to know and asking about it might be beyond curiosity, but simply wanting to learn new things certainly is not, and I am always eager to learn new things.

Why do you think Parade magazine does an annual edition about what people in various professions make? Because people are curious.

Wanting to know and asking about it might be beyond curiosity, but simply wanting to learn new things certainly is not, and I am always eager to learn new things.

Why do you think Parade magazine does an annual edition about what people in various professions make? Because people are curious.

I would describe it with a different phrase.

As others have said, I tip the recommended amount... for outstanding service, I have tipped more... and there have been occasions, where I have reduced it to below the recommended amount. Not going to change what I tip just because I might feel bad for what they make, or don't make.

To the OP: how did you "learn" this? Who told you?

I am not the OP and I don't know who told them. I was told the same thing just a few weeks ago. A friend of mine, was told this by his sister old college roommates, she got the information from her cousin aunt Hairdresser. The hairdresser got the information from someone who posted it on the internet, so we know it must be true.

I am not the OP and I don't know who told them. I was told the same thing just a few weeks ago. A friend of mine, was told this by his sister old college roommates, she got the information from her cousin aunt Hairdresser. The hairdresser got the information from someone who posted it on the internet, so we know it must be true.

Without a doubt it absolutely must be true.;):D

What is sad is that some of you have been buffaloed into thinking that they don't get paid by the cruise line. I'm sure some make more on tips and most probably do depend on tips but they do get paid. On several occasions while chatting with bartenders, wait staff, and room stewards, they have mentioned that there is a pay scale in addition to the tips. Some staff are allowed to keep their tips and some are pooled but the bottom line is they do get paid a wage by the cruise line.

I haven't been "buffaloed" into anything. I have friends that work on the cruise lines. Friends from high school and college. They do get a "salary" - in most cases, it's $50 a MONTH. Do a search on this forum and you will see that many people know this. It's not exactly a hidden fact. Just fake apply for a cruise job and you'll get sent the information.

I haven't been "buffaloed" into anything. I have friends that work on the cruise lines. Friends from high school and college. They do get a "salary" - in most cases, it's $50 a MONTH. Do a search on this forum and you will see that many people know this. It's not exactly a hidden fact. Just fake apply for a cruise job and you'll get sent the information.

Glad to hear. Was there another point or something on which we disagree?:confused:

You guys all need to read Brian Bruns books-Ship for Brains and Cruise Ship Confidential and I think there is another one

this will tell you all about employees of the Cruise lines--I look at a lot of things different now

Most of them work very hard and when they serve me well they get extra--

As they do ,I did ask what sort of food they got and they said it was mostly pasta dishes ,goulashes , casseroles things that are like a one pot dish for quickness , so needless to say a meal out no doubt would be welcomed for a change , I can't remember ever seeing a crew member sat in the windjammer eating , yet on our P&O cruise it was the norm to see White coats with what I call scrambled egg on their sleeves ( their ranks ) sitting eating in there ,oh and medical staff were eating in there too , never seen it on RCI .

On our last Freedom of the Seas cruise, the captain sat next to us eating lunch in the Windjammer. We were shocked! He was just sitting by himself and looking like he was enjoying some time away from the bridge.

Americans only work on 1 cruise ship in the states

they do not work as hard as foreigner workers who can not find jobs in there countries they make good money on the ships and send it home to suport there families. they work long hard hours 7 days a week.

Most American workers would not work thay hard for 7 days in a row 9 months on a contract.

Americans only work on 1 cruise ship in the states

they do not work as hard as foreigner workers who can not find jobs in there countries they make good money on the ships and send it home to suport there families. they work long hard hours 7 days a week.

Most American workers would not work thay hard for 7 days in a row 9 months on a contract.

Are you meaning a ship of US registry or ships based in the US?

There have been Americans working on every cruise ship I have ever been on.

To the OP - I have no idea Royal Caribbean pays their shipboard staff. I don't consider it to be any of my business. I would not appreciate a waiter or anyone else discussing with me how they are paid. The same as I do not discuss how the management of my favorite local restaurant pays their servers. I know gratuities are a main source of income for the staff, RCCL has made a recommendation as to what is anticipated by the service personnel and I tip accordingly at a minimum. Beyond that - way too much info for my taste.

For the comment about "free room and board" it is not really free, it is part of their compensation and they probably have to pay some cleaning and uniform expenses.

Archived