Pros &Cons: Amstrak versus Megabolt/PeterPan

camly

The HoHo survice is a good choice for new tourists, as it provides transportation and a lectured tour, while offering flexibility to suit personal interests.

I would take in as much as possible during the day, and then attend some show or concert in the eveninig, to experience some of the best the city has to offer.

As far as the Intrepid Museum goes....it is unique in that it is located on an historically important vessel, to begin with. It has a connection to 'space' in that it was used to recover early NASA spacecraft on 'splashdown'. And it has a British Airways Concorde on display (I flew on that particular Speedbird--GBOAD:cool:).

I haven't been to the National Air and Space Museum at the Smithsonian in Washington for a long time, but it has a much more extensive exhibit, and it has an 'annex' located at Dulles airport. Would require a lot of time to see all....

Once again, thank you for you input. The Intrpid Museum sounds ideal, especially with its location so close to the pier. Would love to see a show or concert but I do not think we can fit one in but it's a great suggestion. I will bear that in mind if we visit NY again.

The Intrepid Museum is housed on a World War II aircraft carrier of that name. I've never been on it, though I've been on two other aircraft carrier museums, and found them both to be very interesting.

I've been to the Air & Space Museum many, many times and I'm never bored there. They have an impressive collection of airplanes. There's also an IMAX theater there showing several aviation-related movies. ("To Fly" is a must-see.) There is a charge for the movie theater, but entrance to the museum itself is free.

There is also an annex out by Dulles Airport which is also very interesting. There is a bus service that links the two, but you're looking at nearly an hour ride each way, so unless you have lots of time to kill in Washington, I would just stick with the one there downtown.

I honestly can't say which one you should do, insofar as I've never been to the Intrepid. But comparing the Air & Space Museum with the two carriers that I have visited . . . well, there's really no way to compare them. They are very different experiences. If your interest is more inclined towards aviation, go to the museum. If you're more interested in naval vessels, then go to the Intrepid. If you can find a way to do both, then by all means do so. Remember, admittance to the Air & Space Museum is free.

I'm not sure how the Kennedy Space Center figures into this. You are aware, are you not, that it is located in Florida? You didn't mention that you are going there. I've visited it a number of times, and definitely recommend it if you are interested in the manned space program.

Thank you for the detailed reply. Will find time to visit the Air and Space museum in DC. I will leave the KSC out of the equation as there is only so much info we can take in regards to aircraft, aviation and spaceship...during our short holiday and we only dock at Port Canaveral for a short time.

We don't have much time in either DC or NY as we wish we could so really grateful for all the help and advice we get here. This has allowed us to plan ahead in the finest details.

I recommend going up to the observation deck in the Empire State Building at night; the view of the city lights is breathtaking. There are actually 2 observation levels: one on the 86th floor, the other on the 102nd floor. Contrary to what you might think, the one on the 86th floor is actually far superior.

I've never been to England, but I would very much like to rectify that omission at some point in my life. If I do, I'll remember your kind offer! :)

Can you give me more info about this Empire State Building please.

Where can I purchase the tickets from?

What time is the last admission time?

As the 86th floor is so high above the ground, is it in the glass enclosed so no accident (due to crowding) can happen?

What is best time to get there in the evening?

What is the best way to get back to our hotel in midtown Manhattan? Is it save to use subway if not too late?

Thank you in advance.

Can you give me more info about this Empire State Building please.

Where can I purchase the tickets from?

What time is the last admission time?

As the 86th floor is so high above the ground, is it in the glass enclosed so no accident (due to crowding) can happen?

What is best time to get there in the evening?

What is the best way to get back to our hotel in midtown Manhattan? Is it save to use subway if not too late?

Thank you in advance.

Here's the ESB link http://www.esbnyc.com/

If you are staying in the midtown area, you can walk back, or use subway or city bus. Generally they are safe. If you have an all day HoHo ticket, you might be able to utilize that as well.

It's been a long (very long), time since I visitied the ESB obs, but IIRC, the 86th floor is open air, with steel guard rails extending up and overhead a ways. The 102nd floor is glass enclosed.

Thank you all so much for taking time to answer my question. Do I have to pay for penelty or buying another ticket if I was late for the prebooked amstrak? How long would it take one getting to Penn station after leaving the ship? Is it worth to book a cab in advance bearing in mind that my cell phone might not work in the US so I would not know where to find the taxi/taxi driver? Thank you.

Just to help you out further: it's amtrak and the website is http://www.amtrak.com

You might want to check out the website as it might answer many, or all, of your questions. Generally there should be taxis outside the station when a train stops. At least, that's been my experience.

Here's the ESB link http://www.esbnyc.com/

If you are staying in the midtown area, you can walk back, or use subway or city bus. Generally they are safe. If you have an all day HoHo ticket, you might be able to utilize that as well.

It's been a long (very long), time since I visitied the ESB obs, but IIRC, the 86th floor is open air, with steel guard rails extending up and overhead a ways. The 102nd floor is glass enclosed.

This is correct. The Empire State Building is the tallest building in New York (until the World Trade Center replacement is completed), and due to its location at the lower end of Midtown, gives a great view of Manhattan, the other boroughs, and New Jersey. It's open pretty late at night (midnight, I think), but I would recommend arriving there shortly after it's fully night-time, when the city lights are at their brightest. Or, you could go up and watch the sunset, then stick around for the twilight to bleed away and then experience the full-night view.

The 86th floor observation deck circles all sides of the building. The outside portion has a fairly high wall (4 feet?) plus the steel guard rails that extend well above that. There's no way at all that one can accidentally fall off. Inside the building behind the outside observation area, enclosed within floor-to-ceiling plate glass windows, is an extensive souvenir shop. My memory has it that there's also a snack bar there, but I'm not sure.

The 102nd floor area is much smaller, and it's only an inside room with porthole-like windows to look through. Having the glass between you and what you're looking at really does make a difference in the quality of the view. My advice is to just go to the 86th floor and forget about the other one.

The subway is generally safe in the Midtown area during the evening hours before midnight, and there are extra steps you can take to enhance your safety. Ride in the cars towards the middle of the train, as these tend to be the most occupied. Don't make it more obvious than you have to that you're a tourist (put your camera into a bag) and don't flash a lot of money. To thwart pickpockets, keep your wallet in your front pocket. It's best to avoid the last car when riding at night, as for whatever reason, any troublemakers that might be around tend to like to ride in that one.

This is correct. The Empire State Building is the tallest building in New York (until the World Trade Center replacement is completed), and due to its location at the lower end of Midtown, gives a great view of Manhattan, the other boroughs, and New Jersey. It's open pretty late at night (midnight, I think), but I would recommend arriving there shortly after it's fully night-time, when the city lights are at their brightest. Or, you could go up and watch the sunset, then stick around for the twilight to bleed away and then experience the full-night view.

The 86th floor observation deck circles all sides of the building. The outside portion has a fairly high wall (4 feet?) plus the steel guard rails that extend well above that. There's no way at all that one can accidentally fall off. Inside the building behind the outside observation area, enclosed within floor-to-ceiling plate glass windows, is an extensive souvenir shop. My memory has it that there's also a snack bar there, but I'm not sure.

The 102nd floor area is much smaller, and it's only an inside room with porthole-like windows to look through. Having the glass between you and what you're looking at really does make a difference in the quality of the view. My advice is to just go to the 86th floor and forget about the other one.

The subway is generally safe in the Midtown area during the evening hours before midnight, and there are extra steps you can take to enhance your safety. Ride in the cars towards the middle of the train, as these tend to be the most occupied. Don't make it more obvious than you have to that you're a tourist (put your camera into a bag) and don't flash a lot of money. To thwart pickpockets, keep your wallet in your front pocket. It's best to avoid the last car when riding at night, as for whatever reason, any troublemakers that might be around tend to like to ride in that one.

Very good advice, not just for the subway, or even NYC, but for anywhere in the world you tour in. Try not to broadcast the fact that you are a tourist. Try (I know, often impossible) to blend in with the locals....

Be a little 'streetwise'. Do your homework beforehand, and know where you are going and how you are going to get there, if possible.

The reason the 'troublemakers' favor the last car of a subway train is probably because there is a train operator in the first car, and a conductor in the center of the train.

Thank you both.

When standing on the 86th floor observatory, can we look down to the street below if we lean over the high wall? Or what we view are at our eye level? I ask because my son does not like height when we were in the capsule of the London Eye, so I need to know in order to prepare him for that. However, I hope there is no comparision between the two as one is moving around and dangling in the wind whilst the other is a stable base.

Also, I wonder if you can tell me anything about the elevators inside the ESB. Are they made by glass? (just like some on the cruise ships)

What other features are there in the ESB?

Thank you.

The number of stops depends on the train. You can download the entire schedule here: http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Route_C&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1241245664867. About halfway down the page you'll see a link that says Schedule PDF New York Washington.

If you look at Amtrak's travel planner you'll see that there is an Acela Express at 10 AM that arrives in DC at 12:52 (just under three hours). At the moment this train will cost $145.

There is a regional train at 10:05 that arrives at 1:30 for only $49.

It's up to you if getting there 35 minutes faster is worth nearly three times the price.

One other consideration: there arer often delays on Amtrak - usually not to serious, but they effect Northeast Regional (regular) and Acela (premium price express) about equally -- so there is a chance that an Acela train one one day can take longer than a Regional on another.

Thank you both.

When standing on the 86th floor observatory, can we look down to the street below if we lean over the high wall? Or what we view are at our eye level? I ask because my son does not like height when we were in the capsule of the London Eye, so I need to know in order to prepare him for that. However, I hope there is no comparision between the two as one is moving around and dangling in the wind whilst the other is a stable base.

Also, I wonder if you can tell me anything about the elevators inside the ESB. Are they made by glass? (just like some on the cruise ships)

Thank you.

Again, it's been a very long time (mid 1950's) since I have visited, but I believe you can (or could) lean over and see people on sidewalks below that look like ants from that height. I cannot be sure about that, as I believe the guardrails may limit that ability and to prevent falling off either accidentally or deliberately....

As for the elevators, they are not glass, but are well inside the building. You used to have to change cars to get to the very top. The most outstanding feature to me is the fantastic 'art deco' architecture. The lobby, and especially the elevator doors at that level are a true masterpiece if you are a fan of that style. Sort of like the original RMS Queen Mary, on land....:)

Thank you both.

Thank you.

You can lean out over the wall and look down -- way, way down -- to the street below. If you stand just a foot back from the wall, you can look straight out, but not straight down. If you get there and your son becomes uncomfortable, simply go inside. You can still see through the huge windows, but there's no sense of dangling from the edge.

The elevators are of the regular type, not glass.

Take a look at pictures of the Empire State Building on the Internet. I think it's one of -- perhaps THE -- most attractive skyscrapers ever built.

Thank you for your suggestions.

If I need to obtain a map of NY, shall I just get one from the tourist office or do I have to buy one at the bookshop? I have a pocket size map but it is not very clear due to small print.

If I need to obtain a map of NY, shall I just get one from the tourist office or do I have to buy one at the bookshop? I have a pocket size map but it is not very clear due to small print.

You can surely get maps at the tourist offices, but I think you might want to buy one at a bookstore there in England. That way, you'll have time to study it and get your bearings before you actually arrive.

This http://www.mta.info/maps/ might be of help. You can probably 'google' lots of other maps online as well.....

This http://www.mta.info/maps/ might be of help. You can probably 'google' lots of other maps online as well.....

Thank you. I think I looked but will have another browse again.

Can you let me know what time does the sunset in NY in the first week in April? I am sure I can find this information somewhere if google, however, if I did so, I will be side tracked along the way so it's better for me to have all the answers in one place.

Also, is it still safe to stroll around Manhattan in particular if we walked back from ESB to our hotel around 7-8pm? We would prefer this than taking the metro or cabs.

As always, appreciate your input.

Thank you. I think I looked but will have another browse again.

Can you let me know what time does the sunset in NY in the first week in April? I am sure I can find this information somewhere if google, however, if I did so, I will be side tracked along the way so it's better for me to have all the answers in one place.

Also, is it still safe to stroll around Manhattan in particular if we walked back from ESB to our hotel around 7-8pm? We would prefer this than taking the metro or cabs.

As always, appreciate your input.

Assuming that your hotel is in the Times Square/midtown area, I would think that it is safe.

You can surely get maps at the tourist offices, but I think you might want to buy one at a bookstore there in England. That way, you'll have time to study it and get your bearings before you actually arrive.

Done. But still need your help further.

I see the Dewitt Clinton Park near the passenger ship terminal. Is it worth to see this park? Is this where the intrepid is?

Is Penn Station closed to Rockefeller or Grand central terminal as it does not show on this map?

Thank you.

I see the Dewitt Clinton Park near the passenger ship terminal. Is it worth to see this park? Is this where the intrepid is?

Is Penn Station closed to Rockefeller or Grand central terminal as it does not show on this map?

Thank you.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with Dewitt Clinton Park.

Penn Station is on 34th Street between 7th & 8th avenues. Grand Central is at 42nd Street & Park Avenue. Rockefeller Center is between 48th and 51st streets, between 5th and 6th avenues. These three locations sort of form the corners of a triangle. Grand Central is closer to Rockefeller than Penn is.

Thank you.

Nothing of interest for a tourist at that park...it's just a neighborhood park with recreational facilities.

The Intrepid is docked at Pier 86, the next Pier south of the Manhattan Cruise Terminal.

Your question about Rockefeller Center's location was already answered.

Edited by njhorseman

Thank you.

DeWitt Clinton Park is just a local park, used mostly for recreation by local residents. Nothing of any special interest for the tourist--no nice gardens or fancy landscaping--and certainly not worth going out of your way for. (It's about the size of Russell Square or Lincoln's Inn Fields, but nothing like them in ambiance and attractiveness.)

The Intrepid is berthed due south of the passenger ship terminal--it's about a ten-minute walk, if that, from one to the other. The Intrepid Museum website has two live webcams:

http://www.intrepidmuseum.org/getdoc/c175244a-aeb1-4ee8-9024-9bb15e3dd11f/Live-Webcams.aspx

Here's a video showing views from the 86th floor observation deck of the Empire State Bulding:

You mentioned Rockefeller Center. If you have the time, it's well worth strolling around and exploring this complex of streets, plazas, skyscrapers, shops, & restaurants--it's almost a self-contained small city, dating from the 1930s, contemporary with the Empire State Building. It's located in the heart of midtown Manhattan. (It's due north of the ESB; you can easily walk directly from one to the other along Fifth Avenue. I'd say it's a 15- 20-minute walk.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockefeller_Center

http://www.rockefellercenter.com/

As for safety--yes, you can walk from the ESB to your midtown Manhattan hotel in the evening without fearing for your life! I know it comes as a shock,;) but New York today is the safest large city in the United States. Just take the same normal precautions that you would when walking around London. Also, be sure to look both ways before you cross the street, even when you have the walk signal--New York drivers are not unknown to speed up when the see that the light is about to turn red!

(A few weeks ago, on a dark, rainy Saturday evening, my wife & I walked up Seventh Avenue from Penn Station to Carnegie Hall, a distance of some 20 blocks. The only "danger" was that of being jostled by crowds of tourists who lollygagged along the way as we strode purposefully toward our destination--oh, and of having our umbrellas turned inside-out by the wind. But that happens in London too!)

You asked earlier about Penn Station. Here's a photo of the main waiting area for Amtrak trains, showing the indicator board for departures:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Penn_Station_departure_board.jpg

When the track for your train is posted, you will take an escalator or elevator (lift) down to the platform. (All trains leave from a lower level directly under the station.) And yes, there are lots of small shops and fast-food restaurants in Penn Station, although the general ambiance leaves something to be desired. I'm afraid Penn Station is not as pleasant or as well laid out as Waterloo.

Amtrak trains do have luggage bins/ storage areas at the ends of each coach, although they can get filled up if the train is crowded. I've learned through hard experience that the bins are not of equal sizes--for some reason, the bin at one end is quite roomy, while the bin at the other end is relatively narrow. The overhead storage racks are adequate for coats and smallish carry-on bags, but not spacious enough for larger pieces of luggage. (But you won't want to try lifting a large, heavy piece of baggage over your head anyway.)

Cheers!

Really appreciated your inputs and thank you Post captain for the links which are very helpful.

Do you have any suggestions for me to what I can do wth my suitcases after checking out from the hotel at 12:00? Our flight won't be until late so I would like to store the suitcasess somewhere secure for a few hours. It would be ideal if the hotel has that facility, if not, can I store them (with payment) at Port authority but not the self service storage, even if I don't use the bus?

Hope you can help. Thank you.

Really appreciated your inputs and thank you Post captain for the links which are very helpful.

Do you have any suggestions for me to what I can do wth my suitcases after checking out from the hotel at 12:00? Our flight won't be until late so I would like to store the suitcasess somewhere secure for a few hours. It would be ideal if the hotel has that facility, if not, can I store them (with payment) at Port authority but not the self service storage, even if I don't use the bus?

Hope you can help. Thank you.

The hotel possibly might be able to store your luggage temporarily, but there's no guarantee that they can.

There are no "left luggage" facilities at the Port Authority bus terminal. (Frankly, the PA terminal isn't a place where you'd want to be wandering around anyway.)

People in the know on these boards frequently recommend Schwartz Travel as the default left luggage location in New York City:

www.schwartztravel.com

• 2 weeks later...

Dear all,

I really need your help. I have booked tickets for amtrak, departing at 10:05 and we will be self disembarked from the ship which will dock at 8:00. I know it is a short ride from the pier to Penn station but if I don't prebooked taxi, I am concerned that with a long queue at the taxi rank, we might be late to get to Penn station. Any advice?

Also, can I collect the tickets in advance ie a week before the journey to save time on the day?

Where should I ask the taxi driver to drop us off at Penn so I can gain access easily to the ticket machine?

Many thanks in advance.

Dear all,

I really need your help. I have booked tickets for amtrak, departing at 10:05 and we will be self disembarked from the ship which will dock at 8:00. I know it is a short ride from the pier to Penn station but if I don't prebooked taxi, I am concerned that with a long queue at the taxi rank, we might be late to get to Penn station. Any advice?

Also, can I collect the tickets in advance ie a week before the journey to save time on the day?

Where should I ask the taxi driver to drop us off at Penn so I can gain access easily to the ticket machine?

I can't help with the taxi line question, but I can tell you that once you are in a cab the best entrance to Penn Station is 8th Avenue at 31st Street. When you get down the escalator you're right where the tracks are.

As for the tickets, if you have a reservation you can pick them up in advance, which would be a good idea given your tight timetable.