Formal nights in Blu

Greenesailor

Do many people wear formal attire to Blu on "formal nights"?

Just back and I didn't notice ANY formal attire in Blu on formal nights.... but then I wasn't really looking either...

The maitre'd went out of his way to let us know that formal wear wasn't required before the first formal night, as well.

In contrast, second formal night we ate at Qsine and I saw several men in ties and coats - we were the minority, but not the only, smart casual dressers... so I'm thinking I would have noticed coats and ties in Blu, as well...

While he isn't in to formal dressing, hubby is definitely bringing a jacket next time - restaurants were cold.

To a recent thread--to which I contributed on February 19--which discusses the recently revised dress code for Blu...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1575618

You may dress formally if you wish but "Smart Casual And Above" is now appropriate in Blu every evening... The appropriate citation from Celebrity's website is included in that thread...

At this juncture, Formal Nights are observed as a matter of Celebrity policy only in the Main Dining Room...

We were on the Silhouette in late Nov-Dec after they had implemented the new "smart casual" dress code in Blu. But on formal nights a large majority of us were in formal wear. We do wonder if this will change over time or if its the nature of the Blu patrons to simply enjoy dressing-up.

Hank

I personally am glad there is not a set formal night for Blu at least for our Alaska cruise. After 6 days on land that we need warm clothing for it was going to be a stretch to get suits and dresses in our allotted baggage. I plan on simple black skirt/pants and some sparkly tops and DH will bring dress slacks and button down shirts, probably no ties and no jacket. If that is not good enough we will dine with room service I guess.

We were on the Silhouette in late Nov-Dec after they had implemented the new "smart casual" dress code in Blu. But on formal nights a large majority of us were in formal wear. We do wonder if this will change over time or if its the nature of the Blu patrons to simply enjoy dressing-up.

Celebrity's own Food & Beverage Managers expect that the dress code in Blu will become more relaxed--with cruises in the Caribbean and Alaska most relaxed; cruises in Europe still more formal--as the change becomes better publicized [it wasn't--at all--by X; I first learned of it here on Cruise Critic but would not have otherwise known]... And in fact, during my recent Infinity sailing, dress in Blu became more casual--despite a very significant number of Europeans who tend to dress more formally than Americans in any case--on each successive "Formal Night"...

Those same Managers would also tell you that the change was adopted in response to guest feedback...

I expect that it will take some time to fully understand the impact of the change... It is nonetheless nice to have a range of dress options and still feel comfortable/welcome in Blu...

Hank

Personally, i think you have it backwards - my guess is that a great many people book AQ for Blu and for avoiding formal nights...

also, the more relaxed atmosphere is in keeping with the spa theme - no spa I have ever visited (Miraval, Canyon Ranch) asked anyone to wear a tux.... but then appropriate daytime wear was a robe with or without undergarments:-)

We dressed formally in Blu on Equniox, although I believe it was mainly to have photos taken. We will be dining in Blu again on Eclipse, and I believe I will skip the suit and tie. Regent dropped formal nights years ago, and sailing Alaska with them was so much easier not having to deal with gowns and a tux. I wouldn't mind if X dropped it all together as well. So few men wear tuxes anyway.

Just back as well... and we didn't see any formal wear in Blu. I think it's some of the appeal for booking AQ is not having to wear formal to Blu. Everyone was dressed very nice every night, but we didn't see any formal wear. It was lovely!

We are just off the Equinox (Feb 13 sailing), and ate in Blu every night. On formal evening most men had a jacket with tie, and very few, (2-3) tux. I looked at the formal evening photos as well, and saw very few men with tux.

The ladies all looked lovely, and most had black trousers with dressy tops.

DW and I really enjoy getting dressed up, and I rent a Tux when we cruise Celebrity. We'll be in AquaClass and we know there is no requirement to dress formally in Blu on formal nights, but we'll do it anyway because it makes us feel good.

I guess that puts us at the opposite end of the dress code "controversy", doesn't it?

Archived