Should one say anything to uncouth passengers?

Konagolfer

debmarie, You're not serious I hope. Celebrating differences is important, being offensive is, however, not a difference but rather an insult to those around you.

Of course I think that putting one's feet on a table is rude and inappropriate. I was commenting more on the posts regarding table manners and attire.

Personally, I don't think it is appropriate to correct another passenger's behavior. I think it should be brought to the attention of a staff member.

While I agree that etiquette is important, I think the golden rule supercedes etiquette. Sometimes we have to overlook what we consider to be "infractions" and celebrate the differences.

A foot is meant for walking and a foot on the table is a foot that walks on a dirty floor. Not a question of celebrating anything. Its simply nasty conduct and very unsanitary, as well. You enjoy the difference, if you will, while I say something to get the foot off the table, into a shoe, and on the floor where it belongs. It will be a display of 'difference' that I can live with. Jack Morris

I aspire to the maxim: What Would Miss Manners Do? Or substitute the name of your favorite etiquette expert.

To the pax with his bare foot on the table, I think Miss Manners would come up with a solicitous comment along the lines of: "Sir, I couldn't help noticing your foot resting on the table. Is it OK?". Or something to that effect.

I aspire to the maxim: What Would Miss Manners Do? Or substitute the name of your favorite etiquette expert.

To the pax with his bare foot on the table, I think Miss Manners would come up with a solicitous comment along the lines of: "Sir, I couldn't help noticing your foot resting on the table. Is it OK?". Or something to that effect.

Or imagine yourself as a podiatrist on vacation and you see this ugly foot on the spot where folks set their coffees and cookies. You lean forward as if studying the foot from a doctor's point-of-view, and then shake your head. You look once or twice more and each time you scribble into your notepad. When the foot owner/operator asks "What's goin' on?" You speak up from your list and say loudly, "I was counting the foot problems you have, Sir. Of the 8 common ones, I have found 3 that really need some remedial care." Then walk away shaking your head. Jack Morris

Or imagine yourself as a podiatrist on vacation and you see this ugly foot on the spot where folks set their coffees and cookies. You lean forward as if studying the foot from a doctor's point-of-view, and then shake your head. You look once or twice more and each time you scribble into your notepad. When the foot owner/operator asks "What's goin' on?" You speak up from your list and say loudly, "I was counting the foot problems you have, Sir. Of the 8 common ones, I have found 3 that really need some remedial care." Then walk away shaking your head. Jack Morris

Good one!

Of course I think that putting one's feet on a table is rude and inappropriate. I was commenting more on the posts regarding table manners and attire.

Personally, I don't think it is appropriate to correct another passenger's behavior. I think it should be brought to the attention of a staff member.

I agree. You are going to be seeing that person throughout your cruise. Why would you want to make yourself uncomfortable everytime you run into that person? I won't even go into detail about the gross behavior we observed on Navigator recently. Unbelievable---we just had to laugh about it!!!

Jack: Are you a comedy writer in your other life? If not, perhaps you should consider it:D

LindaM: Wish you would share your experience on the Navigator with us:-)

Mjflowers: As I learned several years ago on CC, the only ones who can control the thread/boards are those running CruiseCritic. Sometimes we just have to ignore a thread and hope it goes away. I must say that this particular thread has been interesting and lighthearted. If LindaM decides to share, it could become more interesting.

I agree. You are going to be seeing that person throughout your cruise. Why would you want to make yourself uncomfortable everytime you run into that person? I won't even go into detail about the gross behavior we observed on Navigator recently. Unbelievable---we just had to laugh about it!!!

Freda and I board Navigator next Tuesday, 3 April, and being cruisers, we have a very devoted interest in this ship. Can you give we CCers an overview of the gross behavior you encountered? I'd like to read about how you and others on board dealt with each. Maybe you will touch on one of my 'behaviors' and I can take note and make some adjustments while I is still have the time. Jack Morris

My husband sometimes enjoys feeding me a bite off his plate. (We're sitting next to each other and it's leftover from our dating years. The habit - not the food) And I have two friends that do "share" their plates. I've gotten used to it now. Our British friends are put off when we have hot and cold food together. Funny, but I now separate them. LOL!

"the habit-not the food" I laughed out loud! Funny!

I am considering a Regent cruise for our 13th anniversary next March. I decided to take a look at the Regent boards to get an idea of the ships. LOL

You all are giving me, not only a lot to think about, but much to laugh about!

Thank you!

Christine

Archived