Should one say anything to uncouth passengers?

Konagolfer

Eat on the buffet line often enough and you're sure to see those precious tongs all over the place including down among the cookies or salads, handle and all. Why use tongs when many fellow cruisers just drop them on top of whatever they searched for in the pan? And how about the little kids who are 'on-the-job training' on how to fend for themselves? Don't you just love the little people when they insist on feeding themselves, using busy little hands barely able to reach the food trays? Those same little mitts that have grappled with snotty noses and itchy backsides. The mom's are right beside them, too, yelling motherly directions, none of which are being followed. The parents have chosen our cruises to introduce their little people to civilized society and for too many small fry this is their first shot at real freedom. Take a ride on Disney or Carnival to experience what I'm writing about.

As for the 'bare foot on the table' experience . . . someone has to speak up. I don't think its acceptable anywhere on the ship except maybe inside one's cabin. Even there it should not be done for a variety of reasons. Jack Morris

This thread continues to amaze me. IMO, how one uses his/her eating utensils (or not) is definitely part of being " couth" or "uncouth". Gerry feels we should not do anything to offend others. I agree. . . . but, with the expansion of international travelers (as written up in many travel magazines) you can expect to sit at a table for six or eight with people from North America, Asia and Europe. How would it be possible to not offend someone?. Apparently, some will be burping, some will have their hand in their lap and others may be eating certain things will their hands. The only thing I can think of is to be tolerant and not judgemental of others. There are websites that can be checked prior to international travel that explain customs in different countries. The only thing that is not acceptable anywhere (to my knowledge) is feet on the table:confused:

I have loved this entire thread .... It has been very interesting and IMHO serves to remind us that there are a variety of customs that come from all over the world that we need to be sensitive too.

I have so enjoyed the funny differences between the UK, Canada, Europe, and the US.. This has been enlightening and entertaining!!

Thanks to all for adding to the discussion, I for one am sooo glad I do

Not have to explain the new rules to my grandmother who was so very sure she taught me "proper" table manner......

I agree that couth and uncouth includes table manners - but what I think the original poster was talking about was what would generally be considered as going too far - bare feet on tables people eat off, exploring ones nostrils in public, etc. Table manners generally - apart from people who handle food in the buffet and then put it back and the like - are normally not important enough to be complained about, surely. Anything really horrible is, IMO, better reported quietly to staff to be dealt with rather than risking an unpleasant confrontation with a fellow passenger.

Tom - I love being "Trivia blessed" !! About the only "blessed" I am likely to be...

And yes, it IS the left hand which is taboo! And that is the reason why Sharia law requires that the RIGHT hand of a thief be cut off - then he cannot eat from a communal pot. Double punishment!! (And now I think about it, maybe those who put their naked feet on tables in public spaces should also have them taken off????)

Got to go and start sorting for packing. What a nice task!!

We are currently one board the Mariner on the "Circle South America". Yesterday was the first day of the last segment and we have about 450 new passengers on board. One of the first things I saw was a man with his bare foot on one of the tables in the seating area just outside the coffee corner. Yuck! People often put their food and drinks on these tables. Then a little while later I saw another man take two cookies with his bare hands, using neither a napkin or the provided tongs. Later a different man was taking the candied ginger with his hands. Should one say something to them, if so, what? We seem to have had quite a few people on board with different illnesses, as I am typing this in the computer room there is a man seated behind me that keeps coughing. I know the staff is concerned as they have sent personal spray bottles of hand sanitizer to the suites twice along with a note about using it .

Only if you're their parent or spouse. Otherwise, I judge silently and keep my mouth shut because 1) not my place and 2) they are already showing themselves to be rude and inconsiderate, and won't likely take criticism well.

This thread continues to amaze me. IMO, how one uses his/her eating utensils (or not) is definitely part of being " couth" or "uncouth". Gerry feels we should not do anything to offend others. I agree. . . . but, with the expansion of international travelers (as written up in many travel magazines) you can expect to sit at a table for six or eight with people from North America, Asia and Europe. How would it be possible to not offend someone?. Apparently, some will be burping, some will have their hand in their lap and others may be eating certain things will their hands. The only thing I can think of is to be tolerant and not judgemental of others. There are websites that can be checked prior to international travel that explain customs in different countries. The only thing that is not acceptable anywhere (to my knowledge) is feet on the table:confused:

You left out noodle slurping ;). Theres also under the table differences. Americans tend to keep their legs close to the chair while Europeans seem to stretch their legs out more.

You left out noodle slurping ;). Theres also under the table differences. Americans tend to keep their legs close to the chair while Europeans seem to stretch their legs out more.

Very good points! Don't think I would like to play footsies with anyone at the table. Slurping could be interesting -- would be open to trying it (in the interest of being couth:D)

What I learned today from this thread... nothing:rolleyes:

There was really a lot information on this thread. It's too bad that you don't feel you learned anything. Perhaps this on-line etiquette guide for travelers will help http://www.vayama.com/etiquette/china/ . I'm sure you would not want to offend someone in a country you are a visitor to.

TC2, I agree etiquette is important. I am still disappointed that you didn't acknowledge it would be fun to meet on Sydney to Singapore next January and then when you decided to change your booking didn't post that on the roll call you started!

TC2, I agree etiquette is important. I am still disappointed that you didn't acknowledge it would be fun to meet on Sydney to Singapore next January and then when you decided to change your booking didn't post that on the roll call you started!

I agree that I should have posted something. . . really am sorry:mad: I'm still a bit sad that we cancelled that one and hope to be able do it the following year. It definately would have been fun. Do hope that we are able to meet up on a Regent (or Silversea) cruise.

What I learned today from this thread... nothing:rolleyes:

Now it's time to eat my sandwich with both hands

What was it exactly you wanted to learn, NJGeorge? As you well know these threads are loaded with world travelers and many of them cruise line experts. Provided with the right question, your desired answer might be found. It is true that threads more often than not wander about a tad but wait long enough and someone among the many describes an experience while cruising that proves to be useful. I'll bet it was a peanut butter and jelly. Jack Morris

TC2, I agree etiquette is important.

While I agree that etiquette is important, I think the golden rule supercedes etiquette. Sometimes we have to overlook what we consider to be "infractions" and celebrate the differences.

While I agree that etiquette is important, I think the golden rule supercedes etiquette. Sometimes we have to overlook what we consider to be "infractions" and celebrate the differences.

Sometimes the differences include a sock free foot on the coffee table in the ship's lounge. Try celebrating that difference debmarie. Jack Morris

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Belle Vue

We recently cruised on the Mariner and encountered several similar passengers who pushed & shoved on excursions, overindulged at the bars, placed dinner rolls and candied ginger in handbags, etc. It was mind boggling and negatively impacted our excursions and meals. I'll mention it when I write to the line, but I don't know what they can do about it.

We recently cruised on the Mariner and encountered several similar passengers who pushed & shoved on excursions, overindulged at the bars, placed dinner rolls and candied ginger in handbags, etc. It was mind boggling and negatively impacted our excursions and meals. I'll mention it when I write to the line, but I don't know what they can do about it.

That perchance wasn't a group of TAs that also took anything not nailed down was it?

Archived