Stewards had a clipboard on cart clearly showing who had not paid tips

picklebongo

When I sailed on the Liberty two weeks ago, two of the stewards had clipboards on the fifth day clearly showing a computerized sheet as to who had NOT paid their tips. I tried to take a photo but I could not get my camera to zoom in enough to get a shot.

For folks who don't think they know, it's just not true.

The last day of my cruise i had a letter in my room saying that i did not pay my tips.

I had gave the room stewards cash. We were on a tight budget and i felt that i did not want run up my S&S account. so i had cash for each person i felt that served me well.

I thought the tips don't usually generate onto your account until later in the cruise, not that I would ever consider removing my tips.

I might be mistaken, but I think the daily service charge is added once a day to your sail and sign account. :confused:

When I sailed on the Liberty two weeks ago, two of the stewards had clipboards on the fifth day clearly showing a computerized sheet as to who had NOT paid their tips. I tried to take a photo but I could not get my camera to zoom in enough to get a shot.

For folks who don't tip, i really don't think they'd care if the staff knew one way or the other. Have read many posts here stating their rationale why they opt out, why not let them own it?

We tip the suggested amount, typically more for steward and servers as they work so hard to please. imo, if the cruise lines built tips into the employees' salaries via cruise fares, things would be easier across the board.

Honestly, as someone who's worked as a server for years and depended on tips for my pay...if I saw a list that they were CARRYING around, I would be tempted to complain and/or remove my tips. That's just rude and petty IMO. I can't imagine being a server and carrying around an index card of who is a good tipper and who isn't so I could plan my service accordingly...

The last day of my cruise i had a letter in my room saying that i did not pay my tips.

I had gave the room stewards cash. We were on a tight budget and i felt that i did not want run up my S&S account. so i had cash for each person i felt that served me well.

had you initiated the removal of tips, or did you not have a credit card associated with your account?

I doubt the ones who don't tip, or SAY they are going to tip cash themselves;):rolleyes: care if there is a list floating around.

I will never understand how it can be more convenient to track all these people down who provide such amazing service, and give them cash. But that has been debated & debated & debated over & over on here. To each his own. :)

I might be mistaken, but I think the daily service charge is added once a day to your sail and sign account. :confused:

you are mistaken. it is added in one lump sum.

I don't know how Carnival does it, but on our recent Princess cruise, it was charged daily, separately on each card. DH had OBC to burn (Princess gives military credit), so I ended up with a bigger total. :rolleyes:

Tips are added in one lump sum, at the beginning of your cruise as I recall. I have been prepaying my tips on my past few cruises. That way, if by chance I am on a tight budget, they are already taken care of! I don't understand why people choose to remove tips and then say they are going to give a cash tip. What difference does it make?

The weekly lump sum is pasted on day 2 of the cruise to your S&S per person on the folio. $92/pp for my 8 day trip last week.

NM I was slow in posting!

Tips are added in one lump sum, at the beginning of your cruise as I recall. I have been prepaying my tips on my past few cruises. That way, if by chance I am on a tight budget, they are already taken care of! I don't understand why people choose to remove tips and then say they are going to give a cash tip. What difference does it make?

being you're asking, i will be doing it so I can direct the daily $2 per day per person to the people i wish it to go to. if i can ever find i can do that through auto tip, i will be doing it that way.

else, i will be giving my tips directly to the people that serve me.

As one who always pays the tips plus give extra I do not care about this list. I have let my family know the people on those ships work hard and do double duty plus work weeks on end. I told my son lets see how your work habits and how you would greet people after working 10 - 15 days straight pulling double duty etc. They work hard so I think Carnival should stop the option of removing tips.

Another poster mentioned a letter in the cabin stating that tips had not been aid.....maybe the list is so they know what cabins to leave the letter in?

I think they should put a big sign on the cabin doors, and announce over the PA, those that have chosen to remove auto-tips and say they are going to track down all who have provided service to give them cash.:p

I am kidding folks.....

being you're asking, i will be doing it so I can direct the daily $2 per day per person to the people i wish it to go to. if i can ever find i can do that through auto tip, i will be doing it that way.

else, i will be giving my tips directly to the people that serve me.

You have posted you always remove tips,.. so now you got a convenient excuse.

Own it as one of the above posters said .. dont give excuses for removing tips. you said you were already removing it .. before this. Excuses dont cut it with me.

Carnival should call it a service charge the way NCL does

The servers are only paid very little by Carnival, they only get paid like 50 cents an hour (and they work 12+ hours a day, 7 days a week). They survive on their tips (I believe the same is for the stewards with the none existent pay and long hours). A good server/steward can make $5000+ a month in tips, but still only get like $180 a month from Carnival. Carnival is registered out of the United States for these reasons, so they don't have to pay the wages required by the US and can keep the cost of the cruise low for the customers. Those of you that complain about tipping your servers and stewards are usually the same people that complain that the "quality" of the guests are trash. It's amazing how some people think - I'd love to see those of you tip complainers work the hours these people do. :(

Archived