Do people really enjoy Moderno?

laxlove6

People seem to either love it or hate it. Hate is too strong of a word. We went on the Epic and once was enough. Thought the salad bar was good but the meats were just too overcooked. I like my steak medium rare. Even when asking for meat less done, it would not even come close to medium rare. Tough, dry. I also had the hints that someone had posted about the garlic steak or something like that and was eager to try it. Nope. Nothing special. We have no desire to try it again.

People seem to either love it or hate it. Hate is too strong of a word. We went on the Epic and once was enough. Thought the salad bar was good but the meats were just too overcooked. I like my steak medium rare. Even when asking for meat less done, it would not even come close to medium rare. Tough, dry. I also had the hints that someone had posted about the garlic steak or something like that and was eager to try it. Nope. Nothing special. We have no desire to try it again.

Should have taken it higher up Linda. When you pay out $$ if nothing else your concerns should be heard.

Should have taken it higher up Linda. When you pay out $$ if nothing else your concerns should be heard.

Never would have done that. We still ate. Just know that it is not for us. Some friends we met loved it on the Epic and went three times during our week.

Never would have done that. We still ate. Just know that it is not for us. Some friends we met loved it on the Epic and went three times during our week.

Awwwww the joys of NCL, something for everyone. :)

We have dined at a similar restuarant in Portland, OR.

Loved it.:):):)

On our next cruise(in two weeks) we will dine at Moderno and "The Best of the Best" lunch. These will be our only "upcharge" dining.

The menu from Moderno onboard Norwegian Epic...

Are you hungry yet??? :p

Thank you so much for the menu? We've never paid for a specialty dining place on a cruise yet, but that will change if Maderno makes it on the Star by our cruise. Someone mentioned the pineapple, and then with your menu - YUMMM! We don't have one here in central Ohio, but I have been to others and I really enjoy them.

Does anyone have a picture of this salad bar? My sister talks about Texas de Brazil all the time (there is no similar place around here) but we have never gone because I rarely eat meat, and could not eat a $50 meal of it.

However, this sounds like it is much less expensive than a similar land place, so it would be a good time for DH to get to experience it. Will I be able to enjoy a nice meal there if I don't eat more than a bite or two of meat?

Yes don't be tricked, go to Carnival.

People when someone starts with an attitude, they are not seeking help send them on..

Based on comments OP posted on another thread, OP would never sail on Carnival.

Thank you so much for the menu? We've never paid for a specialty dining place on a cruise yet, but that will change if Maderno makes it on the Star by our cruise. Someone mentioned the pineapple, and then with your menu - YUMMM! We don't have one here in central Ohio, but I have been to others and I really enjoy them.

Moderno will definately be open for your cruise in May. We are on the Star in April and were able to pre-book Moderno. If you have completed your on-line registration, then you will see dining reservations available along with the shore excursions for your sailing.

I am very excited about Moderno.

I have eaten at a "Fogo" restaurant in Minneapolis twice this past year. It is wonderful. I am not a big red meat eater, so was very suprised how much I enjoyed it. I also do not like buffets. The salad bar is not a buffet. As long as the utensils are changed often I am fine.

My friends and I go during restaurant week. Otherwise it would cost $50.00 for the meal, extra for the desert and tip.

I think $20.00 is more than reasonable. Hope NCL does not up the cost as it becomes more popular.

So where do you get the side dishes from? The buffet?

The side dishes are brought to your table by your waiter. The deserts and all drinks are also brought to the table by your waiter. Moderno's signature desert is one of my favorite deserts in the NCL fleet. (The chocolate Napoleon in Le Bistro beats it).

I was on The Epic in December and I have to say I was disappointed in Moderno. The salad bar was decent but many of the meats were very tough and/or dry. The desserts (our table tried all of them) were left uneaten.

I have eaten at both Fogo and Texas de Brazil and love them both although I think Texas is a little better. I wish I had eaten twice in Cagney's instead of going to Moderno.

...getting enough potatoes was like pulling teeth - lol.

I can't imagine it was difficult getting more mashed potatoes for your party of six adults and one child, especially on a cruise ship. Did you ask for more??? Did the waiter actually refuse to bring more mashed potatoes to the table??? I'm baffled.

Maybe people just like the thought of all you can eat. I've found that the meats are not of good quality and a lot of the time the meats are either overcooked or undercooked. I guess its the buffet crowd vs. the fine dining crowd. Cagneys or Le Bistro are much better for basically the same price.

I don't agree with your assessment of the quality of meats. You may have been there on either a very slow off night.

LOL!!! I so agree. I book a MEAT restaurant and fall in love with the grilled pineapple :)

OP, as others have said, Moderno is FAR from a glorified buffet. Yes, the experience is a big part of the meal but you are served everything with the exception of the salad bar should you care to visit it (and I'd highly recommend you do, btw - it was awesome!)

Go for it!!!

Be careful not to eat too much from the wonderful salad bar. You need lots of room for all the meats (and the most delicious bacon wrapped chicken) and deserts. Love the cheese bread also but be careful not to each too much of that too. LOVE Moderno.

I haven't been to Ponderosa in a while but don't you get your food from the salad bar then they bring you the meat that you ordered?

Ponderosa and Moderno are on opposite sides of the food quality spectrum. No comparison.

...We loved (most) of the meats. But it was more like sampling to me.

All it took was one experience at Moderno...now I know which meats to wait for and which ones to pass on. I also knew ahead of time (from reading Cruise Critic) to go very easy on the cheese bread and the salad bar offerings. I was ready for the parade of different meats.

Actually...waiting for the meats I really enjoy gave me a bit of a breather between so it is all good. BTW...Moderno's Filet Mignon is superb and I request it the way I prefer it to be cooked.

Hi! We are cruising on the Sun this summer. Which specialty resturants did you like? Thanks! Wildbirdman

Please give

We just ate at Moderno last week on the Sun, and it was just fine, hot meat fresh off the grill, salad bar, and sides served at the table. It was a good meal.

But, there's always a but isn't there? However, if you compare it to say Brazazz, Texas de Brazil or Fago de Chao, which we have in Chicago and cost $50.00 per person for dinner+ drinks + dessert, you are looking at least $75.00 per person + tip. No, iModerno is not the same caliber as these restaurants, but that would be hard to do, since these restaurants offer 15-20 different kinds of meat and have a whole kitchen that is dedicated to doing nothing else but flame broiling these meats. and unlimited room for their salad, soup, and bread bars. Bottom line: NCL does a very nice job given their constrictions, we would not hesitate to eat there again.

P.S. We eat dinner at Brazazz at least once a month, so I speak from experience, but what we like might not be what you like, so go and try and then give an opinion.

Archived