Do people really enjoy Moderno?

laxlove6

Does anyone have a picture of this salad bar? My sister talks about Texas de Brazil all the time (there is no similar place around here) but we have never gone because I rarely eat meat, and could not eat a $50 meal of it.

However, this sounds like it is much less expensive than a similar land place, so it would be a good time for DH to get to experience it. Will I be able to enjoy a nice meal there if I don't eat more than a bite or two of meat?

You could make an entire meal of the salad bar....it is THAT good.

We were taken out to Texas De Brazil in Orlando, Fl last year and my husband still talks about how great it was. $47 pp excludes drinks & dessert.

The meats were the best! Looking forward to this Moderno in May on the Star.

Thanks to asand for the heads up on how I can make a reservation.

Is your credit card billed immediately if you reserve a dinner? I have a non refundable OBC that I want to be able to use. Hopefully we'll still be able to book something once we get onboard.

Credit card is billed immediately, then a confirmation email is sent to you.

Not to my knowledge.

Che, the last stat that I heard was that about 40% of spaces were open for online booking, because large numbers of people wouldn't realize they might fill up.

Also, suite guests may wish to get a last-minute booking, through their concierge.

One thing to remember with these, and all restaurants, is that they will typically 'stagger' the influx of diners, so that the kitchen & waitstaff are not overwhelmed.

This means that they may be sold out, with 1/2 the restaurant appearing empty.

Gradually it fills up, but there are usually empty tables which, in a pinch, can be called into service.

Exactly. Not to your knowledge but mine.

Do you really believe that NCL would fill up all the reservations online?

Yes I do believe that, although personally I wish they didn't (as I have stated many times when this subject is brought up).

You say to your knowledge and where did you get this knowledge.

Credit card is billed immediately, then a confirmation email is sent to you.

Thanks. I will just have to keep my fingers crossed that we can get something when we get onboard after all of the online and suite people have what they want.

It won't ruin our cruise if we don't get in. ;)

We only eat in the specialty restaurants while on board as it's our way of controlling food intake rather than pulling a chair up to the troughs to eat all day as some do because they feel they have paid for it all they will eat it all. Often it's rather disgusting to watch the way some react to a buffet, but then their the same ones that use the hot tubs as a bath tub because they can't fit in the cabin shower.

As for Moderno not only is the food excellent but its also about the "churrascaria"experience. And in case you don't know a real Argentina experience will cost you a lot more.

The salad bar INCLUDED is also worth the price.

:eek: You should have only responded about Moderno, the rest were rude

Just as someone else noted.. at places like Texas de Brazil and Fogo de Ciao meals are either $25 pp at lunch or $50 pp for dinner. Its the feeling you get, the experience. Some like to feel like they are at a restaurant instead of a buffet. No one is forcing you to go. Plus the quality of meat and variety is something they may not just have on the buffet. Keeping in mind I do like the buffets so nothing against them. I do not eat that much at one time so I never go to those types of places on land. Its just not worth it. But to spend $18 and get to do it and sample so much- its a treat. Dont be a food buzz kill.:)

Thanks you so much to all for sharing their opinions on here. I value what most of you have written although I do agree some opinions went a bit too far and boarded on excessive rudeness.

I live in a small remote town and we have nothing like this in any vacinity I'm aware of I can't wait to try this experience on our T/A next year. I am also hoping to try teppenaki as it has been 20 years since I've experienced that kind of dining. I completely agree that NCL had specifically developped a wide range of venues to appeal to lots of people.

Does anyone this that pre-reservations will be required on a 16-day T/A or should there still be lots of booking opportunities once we board?

We have dined at a similar restuarant in Portland, OR.

Loved it.:):):)

On our next cruise(in two weeks) we will dine at Moderno and "The Best of the Best" lunch. These will be our only "upcharge" dining.

Sorry for sounding uninformed, but what is a "best of the best" lunch is this an NCL thing or is it just your own term?

Does anyone this that pre-reservations will be required on a 16-day T/A or should there still be lots of booking opportunities once we board?

Just guessing here since we haven't really gotten any feedback yet from people pre-booking the specialty restaurants (other than the Epic) since NCL only just recently made pre-booking available. I think that pre-booking won't be necessary other than Teppanyaki, which tends to fill up fast because of its limited seating capacity. That said, if you have a specific time that you very much prefer, pre-booking would probably be a good idea. Or if you have a large party, which sometimes makes it more difficult to get what you want. Otherwise, I would wait until you're onboard.

P.S. Did I read on another thread that pre-booking isn't being offered for Teppanyaki? Maybe I just dreamed that. I'll have to see if I can find that thread.

Sorry for sounding uninformed, but what is a "best of the best" lunch is this an NCL thing or is it just your own term?

It's an actual NCL term for a special lunch that is offered where all the specialty restaurants contribute one or two of their best/signature dishes to the same lunch. This gives you a great chance to sample a wide range of cuisines. Surcharge (I think $15) applies.

Here's the menu from my Jan 2012 Gem sailing.

IMG_4234.jpg

Hi! We are cruising on the Sun this summer. Which specialty resturants did you like? Thanks! Wildbirdman

On the Sun I tried the Italian Restaurant. It was $10 and very very good. I think they could charge more!

Tried the Moderno and was totally underwhelmed at the quality of the meat served. It was $20 and I would have only paid $10 for it.

Tried Le Bistro with a cruise friend who had a voucher for 2 covers and a bottle of wine. Very good and it would have totally been worth the normal cover.

Also ate 4 nights in the MDR and was very pleased with the food.

Thanks you so much to all for sharing their opinions on here. I value what most of you have written although I do agree some opinions went a bit too far and boarded on excessive rudeness.

Maybe if the OP had come on here and asked why people felt Moderno was a value and desirable instead of accusing NCL of deception????

It's an actual NCL term for a special lunch that is offered where all the specialty restaurants contribute one or two of their best/signature dishes to the same lunch. This gives you a great chance to sample a wide range of cuisines. Surcharge (I think $15) applies.

Here's the menu from my Jan 2012 Gem sailing.

Thanks so much Johnql!!

Will definitely be on the look out for this luncheon and the possibility of pre-booking.

We were looking forward to eating at Moderno on our Epic Feb. 11 cruise; but cancelled our Moderno reservation after dining at Le Bistro and Cagney in the early part of the cruise. We had too much meat by then. :):):)

After reading these postings, I wonder if we had make a mistake?:mad: Argh, we will just have to wait till next time!

Archived