Do people really enjoy Moderno?

laxlove6

My first experience was on our last cruise on the Jade. It was wonderful. Can't say enough good things about it. I LOVED the pineapple Yum.

LOL!!! I so agree. I book a MEAT restaurant and fall in love with the grilled pineapple :)

OP, as others have said, Moderno is FAR from a glorified buffet. Yes, the experience is a big part of the meal but you are served everything with the exception of the salad bar should you care to visit it (and I'd highly recommend you do, btw - it was awesome!)

Go for it!!!

We only eat in the specialty restaurants while on board as it's our way of controlling food intake rather than pulling a chair up to the troughs to eat all day as some do because they feel they have paid for it all they will eat it all. Often it's rather disgusting to watch the way some react to a buffet, but then their the same ones that use the hot tubs as a bath tub because they can't fit in the cabin shower.

As for Moderno not only is the food excellent but its also about the "churrascaria" experience. And in case you don't know a real Argentina experience will cost you a lot more.

The salad bar INCLUDED is also worth the price.

Isn't Moderno all-you-can-eat too, just like the buffet? Seems like there would be just as much temptation to get your money's worth (if not more, since you've actually paid extra to eat there).

Also, Moderno is Brazilian, not Argentinian, though they have a nearly identical style of cooking in Argentina.

Maybe people just like the thought of all you can eat. I've found that the meats are not of good quality and a lot of the time the meats are either overcooked or undercooked. I guess its the buffet crowd vs. the fine dining crowd. Cagneys or Le Bistro are much better for basically the same price.

Nope, not in my case - sorry. All of the meat served to me was cooked well, neither over or under done.

Moderno was far from a buffet experience for me. I really don't understand your analogy at all ... to each his own.

ok, I never said it didn't exist. wow. just giving my ideas.

Sometimes i get scared to post on these boards.

The more you post, the more you will realize certain people will argue with you no matter what you say! Just ignore them .... it's not you!

Maybe people just like the thought of all you can eat. I've found that the meats are not of good quality and a lot of the time the meats are either overcooked or undercooked. I guess its the buffet crowd vs. the fine dining crowd. Cagneys or Le Bistro are much better for basically the same price.

I personally don't like buffets, DH loves them. I wonder does that make us buffet crowd or fine dining crowd.

I will try this again. And why does where or what anyone else likes to eat bother you so much? As I said before if you like it or don't think you will like it, choose someplace else. All NCL ships have from 15 - 20+ dining options - choose another.

I personally don't like buffets, DH loves them. I wonder does that make us buffet crowd or fine dining crowd.

I will try this again. And why does where or what anyone else likes to eat bother you so much? As I said before if you like it or don't think you will like it, choose someplace else. All NCL ships have from 15 - 20+ dining options - choose another.

I'm not sure what it makes you but your husband is in the buffet crowd.

My husband and I have enjoyed Moderno on the Sun twice on two separate cruises. We thought the $20 fee was excellent, given that we would pay more than twice that to eat in a comparable churrascaria here. Flip side, we didn't pay the $25 for tempanaki, although we enjoy the experience, because you can get that here for around $20. In both cases, I feel like it's as much about the experience as the food.

I've been lucky enough to go to churrascarias in Brazil, and Moderno compares well - although I prefer the Brazilian yucca fries and fried plantains to Moderno's French fries and bananas. I also thought the cold bar was very nice - especially the cerviche and cheeses - definitely a step above the regular buffet! The Brazilian style of doing the meat involves rubbing the meat with coarse salt, grilling it, and then slicing it at the table - I love that! I love the flavor that cooking it that way brings out - especially the picanha cut. It's not about the "trough" for me - it's about the style of cooking and the serving experience (which both times was just fantastic - STYLE cards for all, lol).

I don't recall when you were at Moderno, but it seems that you had a much different experience than we did.

It's not Ponderosa. It's much closer to a fine dining experience, than is the buffet.

If you don't want to try it, don't. But you can't credibly knock it, until you do try it.

Your argument is the same as comparing a BMW to a Volkswagen. They're both "just cars", aren't they?

I commend NCL for giving us another option. After what they already offer they tried to come up with something different.

I am glad they changed Pacific Heights on the Sun to Moderno. We thought it was a gorgeous venue but our group of 8 was underwhelmed by the food. So, I am anxious to try Moderno.

And some people don't need to eat until they are stuffed to enjoy it.

Moderno is good but I think Cagneys is the better value if you like good beef. The meats are good at Moderno but here is why I may not go again (although I recommend to those who have never been).

The restaurant gives you a 3 tier tray of 3 sides. All the sides are delicious but the fries, mashed potatoes, salad, or other sides are meant to fill you up. So be careful about eating all the side dishes they throw your way.

We loved (most) of the meats. But it was more like sampling to me. Other meats were better than others and we dont eat duck or care for their pork chops. By the time I sampled everything along with the side dishes, I was full. But I left without the satisfying feeling I would normally get from going to a steakhouse like Cagneys and getting the biggest and most delicious filet.

I prefer to get my own steak since I know what I want. I dont want some of the meats and dont want to wait awhile for the ones that I want. And the side dishes fill you up too much (there is a reason why they serve you a 3 tier side tray)

I probably wont go back on my next Epic trip but will do Cagneys. But if you have never been before, I would suggest trying it out. It is a neat concept and the food is good.

Moderno is good but I think Cagneys is the better value if you like good beef. The meats are good at Moderno but here is why I may not go again (although I recommend to those who have never been).

The restaurant gives you a 3 tier tray of 3 sides. All the sides are delicious but the fries, mashed potatoes, salad, or other sides are meant to fill you up. So be careful about eating all the side dishes they throw your way.

We loved (most) of the meats. But it was more like sampling to me. Other meats were better than others and we dont eat duck or care for their pork chops. By the time I sampled everything along with the side dishes, I was full. But I left without the satisfying feeling I would normally get from going to a steakhouse like Cagneys and getting the biggest and most delicious filet.

I prefer to get my own steak since I know what I want. I dont want some of the meats and dont want to wait awhile for the ones that I want. And the side dishes fill you up too much (there is a reason why they serve you a 3 tier side tray)

I probably wont go back on my next Epic trip but will do Cagneys. But if you have never been before, I would suggest trying it out. It is a neat concept and the food is good.

:D thats why I want to do both. We always do Cagneys for one night as a special night out. But I really want to try Modernos, so our next we will do 2. As I said above, if I'm not delighted I just won't book again the next cruise the same as you have done. I'm not really into sides, so I have no fear of filling up on those.

Do they tell you what each thing is they bring to the table?

I don't recall when you were at Moderno, but it seems that you had a much different experience than we did.

It's not Ponderosa. It's much closer to a fine dining experience, than is the buffet.

If you don't want to try it, don't. But you can't credibly knock it, until you do try it.

Your argument is the same as comparing a BMW to a Volkswagen. They're both "just cars", aren't they?

He had to ask if the sides are brought to the table, or were on the salad bar, so I assume he hasn't been, and just was confused reading the description. He probably isn't family with the Brazilian Steakhouse concept - not everyone has been exposed to a large variety of cuisines. Many of the Rodizios here have finer decor than Cagneys. They certainly don't resemble a Ponderosa (we don't have them here anymore).

The piccia aka the House special is awesome and the best cut of meat they serve.. I normally try a sample of all the meats besides the lamb and sauasage.. Than ask for a specific meat They will bring whatever you ask for.. IF you want more lamb bam its out at the table or more whatever you want..

Ive only tried to specialty resturants The sushi bar and moderno Both are awesome

That's not a fair shot. I had a Volkswagen whe I first got a license (what do you want for free). I've since owned BMWs for 25 years and there is NO comparison.:D

I think people get tricked into something it isn't. Its a buffet restaurant disguised as a $18 pay restaurant. Why don't they just have all the meats up at the buffet part, that way you could eat your food at the same time. Instead you have to wait for a waiter to come around and hope that he or she has something you like.

Seriously? What you must remember is that these meats are constantly cooking on a spit. As soon as they are done, they are brought tableside. Yes, the other carved meats are cooking in the buffet as well, but then they are placed under the heating lamps. Once you cut into a piece of meat the juices will run away...as you can see in the buffet.

The rhodizio style of dining gives you the maximum potential of the meats they serve. and for $18...THAT'S A GD BARGAIN! people will pay $40+ pp (and that is without drinks, dessert (if you can fit it), and taxes and tip).

He had to ask if the sides are brought to the table, or were on the salad bar, so I assume he hasn't been, and just was confused reading the description. He probably isn't family with the Brazilian Steakhouse concept - not everyone has been exposed to a large variety of cuisines. Many of the Rodizios here have finer decor than Cagneys. They certainly don't resemble a Ponderosa (we don't have them here anymore).

Actually the OP stated he/she has went on land "All of the ones that I've been to on land were around $50 and for that price you could go to high end restaurant instead. Moderno is like a fancier Ponderosa."

I have asked the OP a couple of times, why just not go if he/she felt that strongly about it that there were many other choices to choose from. It's not like NCL won't let you sail if you refuse to try Modernos :rolleyes:

With looking at this posters history, I'm beginning to think this OP is either a very negative person or they just like everyone to like what they like and vice versa.

Actually the OP stated he/she has went on land "All of the ones that I've been to on land were around $50 and for that price you could go to high end restaurant instead. Moderno is like a fancier Ponderosa."

I have asked the OP a couple of times, why just not go if he/she felt that strongly about it that there were many other choices to choose from. It's not like NCL won't let you sail if you refuse to try Modernos :rolleyes:

With looking at this posters history, I'm beginning to think this OP is either a very negative person or they just like everyone to like what they like and vice versa.

I was referring to the post where the OP posted this question:

So where do you get the side dishes from? The buffet?

This made it seem like the OP had never eaten in Moderno.

I was referring to the post where the OP posted this question:

So where do you get the side dishes from? The buffet?

This made it seem like the OP had never eaten in Moderno.

:D Mijacmom we are definately not in sinc today. I was speaking about your comment "He probably isn't family with the Brazilian Steakhouse concept" But I believe you are absolutely correct I don't think he/she has been to Modernos, which truthfully is why I'm not sure they have so much issue with it.

Just off the Sun and we liked Moderno so much we went back a second night- and we all (4 of us) preferred it to Le Bistro this time. Food excellent- service excellent. Fortuna is the manager and she is top-notch. I don't always think the speciality restaurants are worth what they charge but I definitely think Moderno was on the Sun.

Archived