Do people really enjoy Moderno?

laxlove6

I agree with the OP's comments about the pricing. Amazing churrascaria where I'm from (Montreal, Canada) is usually 30$ p.p +tax, but the cruise ship is positioning it at the same level as a steakhouse or a fine french restaurant (both run me over 60$ p.p +tax here).

The service at a fine dining restaurant is a little more intensive than what i'd expect at a churrascaria, and the 'salad bar' lessens their work even more.

I think a 10$ price point, to match with the Italian Restaurant would be more suitable. even 15$

I think he mentioned it was 18$? I'm pretty sure the ncl website said it was 20$...

Sorry I'm a little confused. You pay $30 at home but think that $20 is too much. :confused:

If people were not willing to pay $20 and the restaurant had no patrons NCL would either lower the price or change the restaurant to another theme, like they did to the tex-mex into Modernos. Obviously right now they are having no issue meeting their quota. Which in turn means their price is fair and their passengers willing to pay it. Supply and demand at work here.

If anyone thinks a restaurant is overpriced or not meeting their expectations. The simplest solution is not to go.

I personally am quite willing to pay $20 to try it. If I don't think it is worth it, I don't have to reserve it the next time I cruise.

They don't have a Moderno on the Jewel. Sorry.

The Moderno on the Jewel should be open in a few weeks. Loved it on the Epic but on the Dawn last summer it was so so. I think because it wasn't too crowded and the meats weren't near as good.

I guess you can go for the experience. All of the ones that I've been to on land were around $50 and for that price you could go to high end restaurant instead. Moderno is like a fancier Ponderosa.

:D Well I've been to a lot of Ponderosas (as a matter of fact I rather like them). But no one has ever brought me meat on a stick. And no Ponderosa I've ever been in has looked like the photos I've seen of Modernos on the ship.

Why don't you just not go. Why the negative attitude for something either you have never tried, or tried and did not like. NCL has tons of choices of dining venues for you to pick from.

I don't like teppanyaki but I don't care that NCL has one for a restaurant, I just don't go there. I don't care how many people love it or whether they are willing to pay $200pp.

I was simply saying that if the prices seem random. Fine french cuisine and Churrascaria are two very different price points on land, but on board they are the same.

I haven't been on board to witness the business (or emptiness) of any of these restaurants, so I was just giving my input.

Also, sometimes supply and demand is not everything....The ships also need return customers, and people to sail again. Just because reservations are full, doesn't mean people are happy when they leave.

I was simply saying that if the prices seem random. Fine french cuisine and Churrascaria are two very different price points on land, but on board they are the same.

I haven't been on board to witness the business (or emptiness) of any of these restaurants, so I was just giving my input.

Also, sometimes supply and demand is not everything....The ships also need return customers, and people to sail again. Just because reservations are full, doesn't mean people are happy when they leave.

If you read these boards, including this thread you will notice in the case of modernos that supply and demand exists.

I think people get tricked into something it isn't. Its a buffet restaurant disguised as a $18 pay restaurant. Why don't they just have all the meats up at the buffet part, that way you could eat your food at the same time. Instead you have to wait for a waiter to come around and hope that he or she has something you like.

Sorry. But I find your comments ridiculous. We have several churriscarrias in Dallas that offer this concept. The meats are grilled and then brought out to the diners immediately. Nothing like being held in steamer trays on a buffet.

We have TEXAS DE BRAZIL, FAGO DE CHAO, RAFAIN and others. They are not cheap. Only the salad bar portion is buffet. This is trafitional.

You must not get out much.

Sorry. But I find your comments ridiculous. We have several churriscarrias in Dallas that offer this concept. The meats are grilled and then brought out to the diners immediately. Nothing like being held in steamer trays on a buffet.

We have TEXAS DE BRAZIL, FAGO DE CHAO, RAFAIN and others. They are not cheap. Only the salad bar portion is buffet. This is trafitional.

You must not get out much.

I don't either Donna, which is why I'm dying to try it ;).

Obviously by someone else's post my closest would be Montreal and that would require me to drive 2 hours. So I think I'd rather wait and try it on NCL.

All I can say is that if it even approaches Plataforma in NYC, I will consider the $20 very well spent. Plataforma charges $60 for dinner, which doesn't include any drinks, dessert, tax or tip. Once you add it all up, it's closer to $100pp.

I very much look forward to trying Moderno on my next cruise.

We just ate at Moderno last week on the Sun, and it was just fine, hot meat fresh off the grill, salad bar, and sides served at the table. It was a good meal.

But, there's always a but isn't there? However, if you compare it to say Brazazz, Texas de Brazil or Fago de Chao, which we have in Chicago and cost $50.00 per person for dinner+ drinks + dessert, you are looking at least $75.00 per person + tip. No, iModerno is not the same caliber as these restaurants, but that would be hard to do, since these restaurants offer 15-20 different kinds of meat and have a whole kitchen that is dedicated to doing nothing else but flame broiling these meats. and unlimited room for their salad, soup, and bread bars. Bottom line: NCL does a very nice job given their constrictions, we would not hesitate to eat there again.

P.S. We eat dinner at Brazazz at least once a month, so I speak from experience, but what we like might not be what you like, so go and try and then give an opinion.

We only eat in the specialty restaurants while on board as it's our way of controlling food intake rather than pulling a chair up to the troughs to eat all day as some do because they feel they have paid for it all they will eat it all. Often it's rather disgusting to watch the way some react to a buffet, but then their the same ones that use the hot tubs as a bath tub because they can't fit in the cabin shower.

As for Moderno not only is the food excellent but its also about the "churrascaria" experience. And in case you don't know a real Argentina experience will cost you a lot more.

The salad bar INCLUDED is also worth the price.

I'm a bit confused on why it wouldn't be just as easy to control your food intake when ordering off a menu at one of the non-fee dining rooms as it would be in the specialty restaurants? Is it because they limit the entree to one, yet the other courses you can have multiples? Possibly someone who has difficulty controlling their portions would find that helpful but since you seem to have such harsh comments for people who eat alot & are of larger size I would think I could safely assume you are not one of them.

Personally, I don't have an issue with what other people put on their plate, if they do eat it. Taking & wasting bothers me. Moderno's does offer ALOT of food. I'm not a big eater & found it a little overwhelming having all that food coming at you, though it was a fun evening. I've tried churriscarrias at home, tried it at sea, but I'd choose a different specialty restaurant for my next cruise. I preferred having just one nice cut of steak from Cagney's. JMO. The garlic mashed at Moderno's were the best but that one small metal bowl (same size put on tables for 2) that was put out for 6 adults & 1 child was a joke! Getting more filet mignon no problem...getting enough potatoes was like pulling teeth - lol.

We ate at Moderno on the Epic last Sunday. Fantastic food. Great service. The folks we dined with said the food and experience was much better than Cagney's. To call the self-service portion a "salad bar" does not do it justice. It was very well done. All high-end ingredients and extremely fresh.

It will likely be the best money you spend on the cruise.

Maybe people just like the thought of all you can eat. I've found that the meats are not of good quality and a lot of the time the meats are either overcooked or undercooked. I guess its the buffet crowd vs. the fine dining crowd. Cagneys or Le Bistro are much better for basically the same price.

I think people get tricked into something it isn't. Its a buffet restaurant disguised as a $18 pay restaurant. Why don't they just have all the meats up at the buffet part, that way you could eat your food at the same time. Instead you have to wait for a waiter to come around and hope that he or she has something you like.

on a seven day cruise aboard the epic, my experience was to dine there twice. only because the first time i made a whole meal eating just from the amazing salad bar. i had to go back a second night to enjoy the wonderfull main coruse selections

:)

ITS AWESOME!! Ive been 3x... Love it would go back in a heart beat!!!! well worth the $20 charge!

So? I love Le Bistro. I like Il Adagio very much. My next Sun cruise is 11 nights, the last one was 15. I like variety. I will go to Modermo. If I like it I'd go back. Went to Tepenyaki twice last time, enjoyed it. One of those times I did all lobster and grilled veggies. Delicious! Point is, NCL offers variety and I will try it. I do not mind the $20 fee. I spend that at Chili's. I know I won't be at the buffet. And Moderno is certainly not in that classification.

Personally, I don't have an issue with what other people put on their plate, if they do eat it. Taking & wasting bothers me. Moderno's does offer ALOT of food. I'm not a big eater & found it a little overwhelming having all that food coming at you, though it was a fun evening. I've tried churriscarrias at home, tried it at sea, but I'd choose a different specialty restaurant for my next cruise. I preferred having just one nice cut of steak from Cagney's. JMO. The garlic mashed at Moderno's were the best but that one small metal bowl (same size put on tables for 2) that was put out for 6 adults & 1 child was a joke! Getting more filet mignon no problem...getting enough potatoes was like pulling teeth - lol.

Have never been a big person and don't have to worry about putting on the average 7 to 14 weight gain that is often talked about when cruising.

We also work in the service industry so the specialty restaurants is more about being catered to for us.

I also like to think that I eat to live not live to eat.

Maybe people just like the thought of all you can eat. I've found that the meats are not of good quality and a lot of the time the meats are either overcooked or undercooked. I guess its the buffet crowd vs. the fine dining crowd. Cagneys or Le Bistro are much better for basically the same price.

I may have missed your answer, but on which ship did you eat at Moderno?

Archived