So many bad reviews

jsbellisle

Like may other people have said...it is just natural to see bad reviews rather then good reviews because if someone has a good time then they are content, but if they have a bad time most people will take the extra time to post a review and use their review as an outlet to vent their frustration or voice their concerns.

I read a review to see what someone says... usually I can tell if someone is going to go all negative because of one real or perceived incident and read with that in mind. People recently have complained about some downgrades... although this MAY be the case, I still enjoy cruises, have 2 booked this year, will be VIP next cruise...

Is Carnival's service, food, and entertainment gotten that bad, or are these people that don't know how to have fun? :eek:

How does pointing out declining overall experience translate into "not knowing to have fun"?

Personally, I still have a lot of fun when I cruise on Carnival (otherwise I would've stopped sailing on them a long time ago) but at the same time I recognize that the quality of the product has declined in orde to keep rates low.

About reviews where everything was bad: They are JUST as useless as reviews where everything was great (cheerleaders). The ones that I personally find useful are the ones that balance the good and the bad.

whether by land or sea, a vacation is what you make of it, not what the place or cruise line offers you.

our worst cruise was on Princess, supposedly one of the higher priced lines, our best on RCCL but the others were just fine too.

we pick by the itineraries not the cruise line. That's what cruising is about to us, seeing the different islands & places.

In these times, just be glad that you can afford to go on a cruise or vacation.

Go with the idea of having a great time and enjoying it with family and loved ones,and all the menial things will disappear.

Just my imho. no offense to anyone, we're all entitled to our say.

Just back two weeks ago from my 5th cruise, all on Carnival, this one on the Magic. It was my best cruise, had the best service, didn't have any complaints other than the comedy shows being in such a small place. Just got there early. I was kind of apprehensive as I had read so many negative reviews of the Magic, but none of the issues were a problem for me. I think you can have a bad week, where nothing goes your way, or just have the type of personality that tends to overstate the negative. And as so many have said, people are more likely to post a review when they're displeased. I made sure to post a review about how pleased I was! I don't see the whole Carnival cruise experience declining.

I would like to address this issue. The changes being made in the cruise industry are for being more cost efficient. That means reducing cost which mean differnt and sometimes slightly less service. Carnival offers a great value IMO but it is not the finest cruise experience. But I choose to sail Carnival for the most part because it allows me more chances to cruise, and that is a good thing. I enjoy the more casual feel of carnival and its fits my kick back style. If one is looking for fine dining, superior service and more luxury there are other great options out there. I can say I have never had a bad cruise although I havent always been pleased with everything.

I feel exactly as Alzaman. I don't need to be waited on hand and foot, so higher end service is not something I want to pay for. I have been happy with the entertainment, food for most of my cruises, and the ships have all been in very good to excellent condition and quite clean. The crews have all been cordial and my cabin very comfortable.

Honestly I do think that considering the prices of the cruises on Carnival, I think they are a very good value. I only have to unpack once, my food and entertainment are included for the most part, and I can do as little or as much as I would like. I love waking up in the morning and being in a new place too! If a person wants higher end service, food, etc., they may have to consider the luxury cruise lines. Those are not in my budget and I would like to cruise more often when I retire. Some would rather cruise less to have those luxuries. It's all a matter of taste.

In a way, I agree. I will compare it to Disney World as a repeat guest there. First time goers are awed, and should be. But, as a long time attendee, I see many cutbacks. The newbie is not aware of them. I still have a good time though.

Bingo!

like everyone has said before, it is what you make of it.

As long as the food is decent and the Beer is cold i am good to go. i don't care about the shows one bit, only shows i go to are the comedy ones and it is failrly easy to entertain me. cold beer and a guy or gal up front telling corny jokes is a lot of fun. if that is boring then there is always karaoke, not to sing but to watch and laugh.

most of the bad reviews i have seen are from people who seem a little self entitled and kinda stuck up.

I feel like most of the recent Carnival reviews I have read have been so negative. Is Carnival's service, food, and entertainment gotten that bad, or are these people that don't know how to have fun? :eek:

OMG! The world is going to end!!! Some one did not have the same experience that I did! They do not love Carnival as much as I do!! How can they not love Carnival as much as I do? More whole world revolves around Carnival! Carnival is always perfect!

I think the food is best in whole world, even better than a top of line high dollar restaurant in New York City, in fact I get upset when I eat at a high dollar restaurant because the wait staff does not jump on the tables and dance just like they do on Carnival cruise ships. I really wish Broadway and Las Vegas would model their shows after the shows on Carnival cruise ships!

Reality check, not everyone has the same experience. Some have been told by friends and family that the food and entertainment on the ship is the best and when they find out it is not really that way they are disappointed.

Carnival is not the end all, be all vacation experience. Then we could get in to the whole free speech thing. Everyone has that right, just because the speech they does not agree with yours does not make it wrong.

like everyone has said before, it is what you make of it.

As long as the food is decent and the Beer is cold i am good to go. i don't care about the shows one bit, only shows i go to are the comedy ones and it is failrly easy to entertain me. cold beer and a guy or gal up front telling corny jokes is a lot of fun. if that is boring then there is always karaoke, not to sing but to watch and laugh.

most of the bad reviews i have seen are from people who seem a little self entitled and kinda stuck up.

That is exactly my type of a good cruise. DH and I have fun NO matter what or where we go. It is what you make of it. :cool:

Thanks everyone for their comments! My husband has been deployed for 6 months and I have 5 more months to go. Our cruise in August is our Homecoming celebration! We will not let anything get in the way of having fun!! As long as I have a cold drink in my hand and my DH by my side I will be happy!!! :)

Thanks everyone for their comments! My husband has been deployed for 6 months and I have 5 more months to go. Our cruise in August is our Homecoming celebration! We will not let anything get in the way of having fun!! As long as I have a cold drink in my hand and my DH by my side I will be happy!!! :)

Thanks for both of yours service and have a wonderful cruise!

I feel like most of the recent Carnival reviews I have read have been so negative. Is Carnival's service, food, and entertainment gotten that bad, or are these people that don't know how to have fun? :eek:

I have been on 16 prior cruises (8 of these with Carnival) and am booked for #17, 18, &19 (1 with Princess and 2 with Carnival) and I have learned that there is NO ideal Cruise line for all people. It seems to be a matter of personal preference. Some like the large grand ships with ice-skating rinks, rock climbing walls, and the downtown city street atmosphere of the promenade found on the largest RCCL ships. Also popular is the RCCL 130-180% single supplement for solo cruisers However the older RCCL ships have very small cabins and there is not much variety of entertainment on the smaller ships. Some like the choice and variety of dining venues and the excellent quality of the production shows of Norwegian Cruise Line but the staff has been known to be rude. Princess Cruise line has nice shows, decor, entertainment and itineraries but can be pricey.

My personal favorite is still Carnival Cruise line. While ALL of the cruise lines have had cut backs in many ways I find Carnival much improved over the years. New improvements since my first cruise include: Outdoor deck theater, huge pool slides, flat screen interactive TVs in the cabins, robes in all the rooms, addition of the comedy club to entertainment venues, and the Asian wok for lunch. The inner cabins are still larger than other cruise lines. 165-185sq feet as opposed to 110-165sq feet. Over the years CCL has added numerous signs that tell you where things are. For instance when walking down a hall you may see above a door "such and such lounge" which tells you your heading in the right direction for the show lounge. They also issue little cards with a map of the ship on them that are small enough to carry in your pocket. Carnival still has Lobster night in the main dinning room without additional charges where most of the others only offer lobster in their restaurants with required "gratuities" as high as $30 per person! I love the Comedy club, the Karaoke, and the production shows and the way they schedule these so that it is possible to do it all. I have literally gone to dinner, then to a show, then to Karaoke, then to the late "adult" Comedy club show then to the Disco ALL IN ONE NIGHT!!! Overall Carnival really are the "FUN SHIPS" and offer superior value for the money.

If you haven't been cruising for 10+ years, you'll never notice the cutbacks. If you have, you will. That being said, the recent cutbacks we've noticed (I've been cruising since 1984) have yet to make us "have a horrible time". I just accept (rather than whine about changing that which will not change--except maybe for the worse) that it is what it is, and if I don't like it, thankfully, I live in a free country and can take my money elsewhere :) Luckily, this also doesn't involve rocket science :D

I just got off my 14th cruise on the Destiny 3 weeks ago, all with Carnival Best yet. How they keep getting BETTER I don't know. Maybe its a state of mind and the fact is I want to have a good time so I do :D. The food, service etc was outstanding!!! Just one complaint, I'm not on a cruise now:(

I find there are something I like and something I don't in every cruise. I also find almost every review provides some information, experience and insight. When 99% says good, there must be a reason. When 1% says good, there must be a reason for that individual and his/her opinion can be ignored.

I read almost all reviews prior to my cruise. These information helps to maximize my benefits, so good/bad reviews are equally important.

The good thing about CC is that if you read a review and aren't sure about the reviewer, you can look at their post history. This can give you an idea of what their personality is like and you can judge for yourself if their review is one that you would take seriously or not.

I read almost all reviews prior to my cruise.

These information helps to maximize my benefits, so good/bad reviews are equally important.

We are so very opposite. Vive la difference.

I never read reviews now. OK maybe one in a million, for some idiot reason. :cool:

I learned long ago that reviews are either gushing positive or gnarly negative

and therefore not to be taken seriously.

Prior to my cruises 1 to 3, I read reviews beforehand

trying to scare myself into expecting the lowest possible standards

and so avoid disappointment.

It didn't work out: I soon learned everything I'd read was wild fantasy

and my reality was good cruises every time.

Seriously, people...you guys should stop writing and reading reviews.

They are a waste of space, both on websites and in your minds!

You can get equally-cruise-useful info (and a heckuva lot more realistic)

by going thru these message boards! ;)

I was on a CCL cruise last month. I have been cruising with CCL for over 20 yrs and I do miss some little things like the shrimp cocktail and a few other dining options but overall it was great cruise. I'll be on a 7 day CCL cruise in 3 weeks and a 7 day CCL cruise in May. It still gives the best buy for the vacation dollar in my opinion. I have cruised Princess, Holland, Cunard and other lines too. You just can't beat CCL for the cruise product that they offer. I would say the bad reviews just mean that CCL is not everyone's cup of tea. Great, there's more room for the rest of us who like CCL on future cruises.

It really is so subjective. For instance, last cruise I was on was a family cruise. My father and I had the same category cabin (balcony, don't remember exact category, since I didn't book or pay for it), sat at the same table for supper and watched the same shows.

I loved it, I thought it was absolutely wonderful in each aspect. My father, however, thought the cabin was far too small, the food just ok and the shows less than mediocre. Maybe it's because I wasn't paying for it, but I liked it well enough to pay for the next one!

For me, the cabin was large (but I was used to paying for interior, I'll admit), the food great and the shows a lot of fun. All in the way you look at it.

I also agree that people are more likely to review when they have a bad experience. I never post reviews of any kind, but the only time I'm tempted is when I am not pleased. Don't worry about. Go on your cruise with a positive mind set and enjoy yourself!

Archived