"Peek-a-boo" on Freedom balconies?

I realized last week on the Jewel that Radiance Class ships offer virtually no privacy on any balconies. The unique contour of the side of the ship creates angles that allow you to see well into many other balconies. You don't have to try, just stand at the rail and there are a lot of different people to see.:eek: Most of the time though, the view of the sea is the main attraction.

On my Jewel aft, I was watching sail away at the rail, when I noticed something strange on the railing next door. It was my neighbors solar cell phone chargers, sitting, unsecured, on the 4 inch wide railing. As we started up I was worried the motion and vibration would knock those expensive electronics right into the sea. :eek:

I " hello'ed" a couple of times, and got no response. We had met our neighbors and been friendly, so I didn't think they'd mind if I took the chargers off the rail, I reached around and dropped them onto a chair on their own balcony.

I left a note telling them what I did. Later they thanked me, said they were pricey and would have hated to lose them and they laughed that I actually had packed post it notes to leave the note on their door!:p

So I breached their privacy but in the end it turned out ok! I was hoping I was bring a good neighbor!

On our last cruise on Carnival Pride we had an Aft Wrap on the Starboard side. I was sitting on our balcony eating lunch when I heard a thud and some "choice" words. I looked at the balcony forward of us and saw a head and an arm. Our "neighbor" had been taking pictures of our balcony (and i'm assuming me in my bathing suit .... eating a lovely turkey sandwich) ... but we'll never know as he dropped his camera overboard. We never saw or heard him again after my husband offered to send him after his camera for inviding my privacy. Security was NOT amused when we spoke with them.

It takes all kinds ... and unfortunatly, they get on cruise ships too ...

A Turkey Sandwich fetish? .... kinky!

Inquiring MIMES want to know

1. what does Prank mean

2. You mean you rapelled to each others cabins. :eek:

No rapelling needed. Take a look at this link. Picture 5

http://www.voyager-class.com/pictures/cabins/aft_9-E/gallery.html

See that little "gate" at the end of the divider? lift your leg over that and you're on your neighbors balcony!

That's what I meany by hopping the divider to our friends room.

As for the pranks... there were many.

Snuck over to the next room and turned all chairs over

Went and opened balcony door, and turned volume all the way up on tv then turned it off.

ordered room service at 6am and then kept them up really late drinking.

The trojan man left a present on one of our friends balcony... filled with a bit of shaving cream for effect.

Little sandwiches one person hated at royal promenade cafe were left on a plate on his balcony

underwear draped hanging across dividers.

Again, we were all in on it, all friends, and we booked this cruise more than a year out for us to have the entire aft for our group. We wouldn't have wanted to disturb others.

But we were just being like silly teens.

But if you look at that gate, you'll see how easy it was to cross balconies.

and if you look at picture 6, you'll see how easy it was for the people above to attack us.

I promise it was all in good fun, amoung friends

No rapelling needed. Take a look at this link. Picture 5

http://www.voyager-class.com/pictures/cabins/aft_9-E/gallery.html

See that little "gate" at the end of the divider? lift your leg over that and you're on your neighbors balcony!

That's what I meany by hopping the divider to our friends room.

As for the pranks... there were many.

Snuck over to the next room and turned all chairs over

Went and opened balcony door, and turned volume all the way up on tv then turned it off.

ordered room service at 6am and then kept them up really late drinking.

The trojan man left a present on one of our friends balcony... filled with a bit of shaving cream for effect.

Little sandwiches one person hated at royal promenade cafe were left on a plate on his balcony

underwear draped hanging across dividers.

Again, we were all in on it, all friends, and we booked this cruise more than a year out for us to have the entire aft for our group. We wouldn't have wanted to disturb others.

But we were just being like silly teens.

But if you look at that gate, you'll see how easy it was to cross balconies.

and if you look at picture 6, you'll see how easy it was for the people above to attack us.

I promise it was all in good fun, amoung friends

LOLOL!! Man you sound like a blast to cruise with !! :D

Cruised with a bunch of friends on navigator a few years back... we were all in the aft.

I think we had 9390. The room right next door to us ( with our close friends) has this tiny little gate knee high that separated our cabins at the end of the wall. We wouldn't just peek but hop to each other's balconys and prank each other the whole cruise. We had friends in the cabins above us who could hop down and land square on our balcony or throw things down.

it was quite funny.

sounds a bit risky especially jumping from deck to deck. Some folks have fallen of ships by going from balcony to balcony.

sounds a bit risky especially jumping from deck to deck. Some folks have fallen of ships by going from balcony to balcony.

Again if you look at that picture, you'll see. There was no jumping necessary.

You the gate is knee high, it's on the ship side of the rail, you just step over it. I WOULD NEVER hop balcony to balcony over the railing. That's majorly dangerous.

If you look at the pic, it's impossible to fall, it's a tiny little gate completely on the ship side of the rail. I've seen it on no other rooms except these two

On my Jewel aft, I was watching sail away at the rail, when I noticed something strange on the railing next door. It was my neighbors solar cell phone chargers, sitting, unsecured, on the 4 inch wide railing. As we started up I was worried the motion and vibration would knock those expensive electronics right into the sea. :eek:

I " hello'ed" a couple of times, and got no response. We had met our neighbors and been friendly, so I didn't think they'd mind if I took the chargers off the rail, I reached around and dropped them onto a chair on their own balcony.

I left a note telling them what I did. Later they thanked me, said they were pricey and would have hated to lose them and they laughed that I actually had packed post it notes to leave the note on their door!:p

So I breached their privacy but in the end it turned out ok! I was hoping I was bring a good neighbor!

You were a good neighbor.:) That's an entirely different kind of situation. We would have thanked you for being thoughtful. OTOH, we would never leave chargers unsecured on a railing, but still... It was a kind thing to do and you called out to see if they were there first.

beachchick

People want privacy on their balconies...understood.

But then they do things on those balconies that invite "intrusions" from neighbors.

We've had neighbors that have had fights..and we heard one man hit his wife on the balcony. We made it known we were there and it stopped and we reported the incident.

We've also had neighbors who thought it would be fun to have loud sex on their balconies. One encounter was particularly amusing and we couldn't help but burst out laughing..the encounter stopped and they went inside.

We didn't look over on the balcony..but sometimes pax want privacy and then do things that are all but private on their balconies.:rolleyes:

I tend to agree with most of your posts but this is one where I will disagree. Yes people will take a glance at the balcony

Especially if the balcony nextdoor has any unique attirbute. We have seen curiosity about our accessible cabin's balcony but only when we were all at rail (such as a port sail away) and alreayd talking to each other. Note - no difference from any other balcony except a little wider so room to manuever wheelchair a bit. I suspect same curiosity would apply to suites or bump locations. At least on upcoming cruise we already sort of know our neighbors from the Roll Call thread.

Radiance class deck seven forward and aft of the lifeboat canopy have extended balcony with short divider beyond the tall divider so if standing at the corner there is more viewing angle into covered part of the balcony making those a little less private.

Sort of concerned about upcoming Mariner cruise with the translucent dividers. Not so much for privacy but for even more light polution than normal at night from adjacent balcony light if left on.

RCCL--I guess the line that gives me and others pause is this one--

"We had friends in the cabins above us who could hop down and land square on our balcony or throw things down."

It's a really dangerous practice now matter how much balcony is sticking out below as landing space. Glad no one got hurt.

Again if you look at that picture, you'll see. There was no jumping necessary.

You the gate is knee high, it's on the ship side of the rail, you just step over it. I WOULD NEVER hop balcony to balcony over the railing. That's majorly dangerous.

If you look at the pic, it's impossible to fall, it's a tiny little gate completely on the ship side of the rail. I've seen it on no other rooms except these two

Glad to hear that what you did was safe and that you would NEVER hope from balcony to balcony over the railing.

RCCL--I guess the line that gives me and others pause is this one--

"We had friends in the cabins above us who could hop down and land square on our balcony or throw things down."

It's a really dangerous practice now matter how much balcony is sticking out below as landing space. Glad no one got hurt.

Good point! I forgot I shared that. I started to explain, but it still would evoke a well deserved lecture, so I'll just say you're right. It's not smart, iIpromise it wasn't as bad as it sounds, there were guides, a chase lounge, but yes a bad idea. I can happily say it wasn't me though, I just hopped the gate! lol

The other good news is that was a few years ago... we're all older, heavier, wiser, less mobile, some of us are parents now. I think those days are gone.

Last two cruises i never hit the nightclubs once, in those days we shut the place down.

amazing what 8 years and a kid will do!

On our last cruise on Carnival Pride we had an Aft Wrap on the Starboard side. I was sitting on our balcony eating lunch when I heard a thud and some "choice" words. I looked at the balcony forward of us and saw a head and an arm. Our "neighbor" had been taking pictures of our balcony (and i'm assuming me in my bathing suit .... eating a lovely turkey sandwich) ... but we'll never know as he dropped his camera overboard. We never saw or heard him again after my husband offered to send him after his camera for inviding my privacy. Security was NOT amused when we spoke with them.

It takes all kinds ... and unfortunatly, they get on cruise ships too ...

Okay, that's creepy! Now we know how some go overboard, for that one photo opportunity!

Archived