St Petersburg: which optional tour?

We have ship credit on our May Moscow - St. Pete river cruise, with some free time in St Petersburg, so plan to use the credit for an optional tour or two. Can't decide between Peter & Paul Fortress or Peterhof Gardens via Hydrofoil. We enjoy both history and the outdoors. DH does have problems walking long distances without breaks every once in a while but would enjoy the hydrofoil trip. Any recommendations? We would also like to do a canal cruise on our own.

We have ship credit on our May Moscow - St. Pete river cruise, with some free time in St Petersburg, so plan to use the credit for an optional tour or two. Can't decide between Peter & Paul Fortress or Peterhof Gardens via Hydrofoil. We enjoy both history and the outdoors. DH does have problems walking long distances without breaks every once in a while but would enjoy the hydrofoil trip. Any recommendations? We would also like to do a canal cruise on our own.

Both great options, but my vote definitely goes to Peterhof

because there's nothing like it anywhere else and it's visually and aurally stunning, as well as an engineering marvel. There are no very long distances in the gardens, but there are enough 'rest points anyway', such as at the Jester Fountains. And the hydrofoil ride is fun too.

Not that the Peter and Paul Fortress/Cathedral is bad.....

All the best, Tony

I too would choose Peterhof & Hydrefoil if I couldn't do both...

Let me add a strong vote for the Peterhof. This is a really special, unique and historic area with such wonderful gardens, fountains, and structures. Below are a few of my visual to "PROVE IT!!"

You could do the hydrofoil there and just focus time in the lower grounds area. It is much more than just one or two fountains and water features here. Very amazing!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 67,621 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 61,012 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here is a unique angle for the spectacular fountains and water from the spectacular Peterhof outside of St. Petersburg:

1A-StP-PeterhofFount2.jpg

One of the many fountains on the grounds of the Peterhof is the Orangery Fountain, depicting Triton fighting a sea monster. There is a cafe there with outdoor seating and super views where we ate outside and had our lunch.:

1A-StP-PeterhofFount4.jpg

Looking up from the Gulf of Finland along the water canal towards the Palace at the Peterhof:

A-StP-PeterhofWaterCanal.jpg

A carved stone statute in these historic and great gardens at the Peterhof:

1A-Peterhof-StatueFount.jpg

Another fountain and statue area for strolling and enjoying on these park grounds:

1A-Peterhof-GardensFount.jpg

From the dock at the Peterhof, here is the hydrofoil approaching before we started our trip into St. Petersburg. It is a little like boarding a "space ship". Cool and interesting ride!:

1A-StP-Hydrofoil.jpg

agree with Peterhoff gardens option

My husband was in same situation as yours with not being able to walk long distances.He did struggle a bit as the gardens are pretty spread out but there are plenty of places to take breaks

the paths are mainly gravel so hiring a wheelchair doesnt make it any easier

however as long as you are prepared to pace yourselves it is a really lovely place to visit[keep fingers crossed it stays dry]

If you are not yet convinced that you should go to Peterhof Gardens add my vote to go there. It is so amazing and beautiful. You could really walk as much or as little as you want and still see a lot. There is a small Palace called Monplaisir right on the Gulf of Finland so a fairly close walk from where you enter the lower gardens from the boat. There are lots of fountains in the area also.

I would say the biggest attraction of Sts. Peter and Paul is the tombs of the Romanovs. There is really no comparison to Peterhof.

Here are some of my pictures to help seal the deal.

IMG_0881-1.jpg

Sun Fountain Peterhof

IMG_0889-1.jpg

Roman Fountain

IMG_0883-1.jpg

Monplaisir Palace at Peterhof – Peter the Great’s favorite

IMG_0878-1.jpg

View from Monplaisir to Gulf of Finland [img

IMG_0880-1.jpg

Royal Bath House at Monplaisir complex

IMG_0894-2-1.jpg

Orangery Fountain Triton and the Sea Monster

You have made an excellent choice. Peterhof is spectacular, but be aware that there is a lot more walking viewing this attraction. Most tours will take you to the main building, up many steps. After that there are beautiful gardens they usually walk you thru and then down a long walk out towards the Sea of Finland where you will catch the hydrofoil to take you back to St Petersberg.

Peterhof is magnificent, but there are many steps to climb to get to the first level

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe730.jpg

From this pix, you will walk all the way to the end of the canal to catch the hydrofoil

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe721.jpg

They will also take you around the fountains and the grounds to view many of the other attractions of Peterhof

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe742.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe751.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster728.jpg

Hope this helps

Cheers

Len

Archived