Concordia customers suing for all of this money, be happy your alive!!!

LittleMiss

I read all the posts and I am with you!

I would rather take the offer as I know I would be no way out of pocket with $14500 each plus travel costs etc.etc

Some need more but most wouldnt, if you look at some of the natural disasters in the world most get nothing or less! Does getting off a capsized ship demand more compensation than your house and possessions getting washed away forever because nature isnt a corporation?

Den

Unfortunately nature can't be grossly negligent. Its nature. :rolleyes:

I read all the posts and I am with you!

I would rather take the offer as I know I would be no way out of pocket with $14500 each plus travel costs etc.etc

Some need more but most wouldnt, if you look at some of the natural disasters in the world most get nothing or less! Does getting off a capsized ship demand more compensation than your house and possessions getting washed away forever because nature isnt a corporation?

Den

Exactly ;0) finally another one who gets it

So being scared has a price tag now?? I better start leaving money under my 4 yr olds pillow every night. They are compensating for counseling by offering it, monetary ratification for misc. Stuff and money off future cruising... Like the other poster said " deserve all they did was show up for a cruise" Alright already when is enough enough??

Being scared?

This is NOT going to see a horror film at your local theater!!

Money off future cruising? I would bet my house that no one who survived that disaster would went to step foot on a cruise ship again, let alone a Costa ship.

I'm not even going to go through your post word for word because I honestly think you're joking at this point. I'm done.

Hi, Fish Taco,

I did not know that Aussies like fish tacos.

It seems that Yanks R the Most Litigious members of society. It would be interesting to know the percentages of the nationalities that R suing. Anybody Google this?

Kill all the Lawyers (except for my GrandBaby - first year UCLA School of Law, Major: Sports Law).

What more is there to offer? Counseling DONE! Monetary for damages DONE! Cruise in the future DONE! Oooook.... Other than funeral expenses for the dead and compensating for the loss of lives.... What else is their? Not about passing judgment but being realistic

Nowhere in my post did i say they do or do not deserve more of anything.

I simply think it's unfair of you to be so judgemental about something you know nothing about. And reading posts and watching it on the news does not count as knowing about it.

You weren't on the ship....you don't KNOW what damages were done to those people.

Do you really not see that YOU deciding that all of those people should just be happy to be alive.....and YOU deciding they are greedy for suing, is being exactly what you claim not to be...judgemental.

Being scared?

This is NOT going to see a horror film at your local theater!!

Money off future cruising? I would bet my house that no one who survived that disaster would went to step foot on a cruise ship again, let alone a Costa ship.

I'm not even going to go through your post word for word because I honestly think you're joking at this point. I'm done.

Really not joking.... This is ridiculous the money these people are asking for... It's definitely about greed... No matter how you look at it

Because you never get near what you are claiming. Ask for a million, you will wind up with 100k at best. Ask for your mere belongings + cruise fare, you will be lucky to get a t-shirt when its all said and done and stil be out what you paid for air fare and others things.

AS with any law suit you start big then they chop it way down as they go.

This is absolutely true, you always ask for more because you never get near to what you asked for. And before people make judgments, just remember no one on this board knows anything about the amount that people lost. Some people weren't able to get back to work for days and probably have lost wages they want to be reimbursed for. Maybe they had very expensive jewelry or handbags, etc. We don't know, so we shouldn't judge! The courts will give them what they feel is the correct amount. Not everyone will be happy with the outcome but that's the way it go.

Nowhere in my post did i say they do or do not deserve more of anything.

I simply think it's unfair of you to be so judgemental about something you know nothing about. And reading posts and watching it on the news does not count as knowing about it.

You weren't on the ship....you don't KNOW what damages were done to those people.

Do you really not see that YOU deciding that all of those people should just be happy to be alive.....and YOU deciding they are greedy for suing, is being exactly what you claim not to be...judgemental.

Ok now I'll play devils advocate... Let's say everyone is mentally scarred by this, ok so there's counseling, let's say they had $8000 dollars on them collectively, theirs still ahead, now they throw in a discount on a future sailing.... They still are leaving with more than they came with. Now tell me where hypothetically, they may need more that what is given?

This is absolutely true, you always ask for more because you never get near to what you asked for. And before people make judgments, just remember no one on this board knows anything about the amount that people lost. Some people weren't able to get back to work for days and probably have lost wages they want to be reimbursed for. Maybe they had very expensive jewelry or handbags, etc. We don't know, so we shouldn't judge! The courts will give them what they feel is the correct amount. Not everyone will be happy with the outcome but that's the way it go.

Everyone was back home within a weeks time, remember these people were on a cruise and they all did have some sort of plane ticket one way or another

Carnival and Costa did not ask the Captain to do what he did. Why are they responsible? Oh, yeah, because they have deep pockets.

I am sorry for what the people on Concordia went through just as I am sorry for the Splendor 22 that were robbed in Puerta Vallarta by a lone person, not a band of masked gunmen as was reported incorrectly on Cruise Critic's home page, just as I am sorry for the people on the Allegra, just as I am sorry for the people who were on the Splendor when it caught fire, but things happen. I feel that the compensation offered is fair for most and can be looked at on a case by case basis for those that really suffered losses.

Well I guess not everyone is as hard as you and aren't able to just brush off the trauma of fleeing a sinking ship. Isn't it great that there are so many different types of people in the world?

Losing a loved one is worse, getting a second chance at life.... Priceless

Unless you were on that ship, you have no idea what those people went through.

And if you have no idea what they went through, how can you possibly pass judgement on their actions now?

Do you KNOW what they saw. heard, felt?

Do you KNOW how scared they were?

Do you KNOW what they lost that day besides material things? Like being able to ever go on a vacation again without reliving that experience? Or being able to leave their kids out their sight for fear of not being with them if something terrible would happen again?

I totally agree that lawsuits are very often frivilous and a huge majority of them should never happen. But some are justified.

Unless you were there.....it's unfair to judge them.

I agree!

Carnival and Costa did not ask the Captain to do what he did. Why are they responsible? Oh, yeah, because they have deep pockets.

I am sorry for what the people on Concordia went through just as I am sorry for the Splendor 22 that were robbed in Puerta Vallarta by a lone person, not a band of masked gunmen as was reported incorrectly on Cruise Critic's home page, just as I am sorry for the people on the Allegra, just as I am sorry for the people who were on the Splendor when it caught fire, but things happen. I feel that the compensation offered is fair for most and can be looked at on a case by case basis for those that really suffered losses.

Was the Captain not a Costa employee? Does Carnival Corporation not own Costa Cruise Lines? They shouldn't be responsible because they didn't ask the Captain to run into some rocks and capsize the ship?

Interesting.

Ok now I'll play devils advocate... Let's say everyone is mentally scarred by this, ok so there's counseling, let's say they had $8000 dollars on them collectively, theirs still ahead, now they throw in a discount on a future sailing.... They still are leaving with more than they came with. Now tell me where hypothetically, they may need more that what is given?

Whew!

I'm not arguing with you about how much money anyone is entitled to.

I have no idea how much should be offered.

Because just like you, i was not there.

My point was only that YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO JUDGE THESE PEOPLE!

Was the Captain not a Costa employee? Does Carnival Corporation not own Costa Cruise Lines? They shouldn't be responsible because they didn't ask the Captain to run into some rocks and capsize the ship?

Interesting.

Exactly. Did they ask him to do that? No. He was a bad seed and they are offering compensation to compensate for what he did under their employment, but Carnival and Costa could not predict this behavior.

Now I know why I am self employed with no employees, I don't have to answer for the actions of another.:rolleyes:

It seems to me in this day and age almost everyone is looking for a quick way to get rich. Things happen. That is just the way of life. The only ones to get any money out of this is going to be the lawyers. All of you who say you would sue please do some research and see how much plaintiffs actually get compared to how much the lawyers get. Everyone suing will get less than the 14,000 that the corporation is offering. I have seen settlements and losses in court where after expenses and the 40% and sometimes more that the attorneys get the plaintiffs has walked away with less than 10,000 and this is with a few hundred thousand dollar settlement. One personal experience the judgement was a little over 3 million and the plaintiffs after costs received 275,000. This class action lawsuits are a joke.

I have no idea if punitive damages are part of Italian law, but they are well and alive in the USA. Punitive damages are monetary compensation to the injured party that goes beyond that which is necessary to compensate the individual for losses and that is intended to punish the wrongdoer.

Each and every one of the passengers on the Concordia deserve to be compensated for punitive damages. No argument about it.

Easy to pass judgment on this group from the safety and comfort of your computer screen. You speak of the entire incident as if it were a flight delay. Can you envision the terror of feeling the ship keel to the side and begin to sink? I would imagine most passengers did not know that they would be saved by shallow water. "Be thankful your {sic / you're} alive." And to speak so casually of the dead. "Other than funeral expenses for the dead and compensating for the loss of lives.... What else is their {sic}?" This is the most shameful, embarrassing post I have ever read.

The uninjured passengers have been offered approximately $14,500 each plus a refund of their cruise and travel costs as well as onboard expenses. Some people think that's fair....some think its not.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4716

Wonder how many phone calls, from lawyers, each passenger received before they even reached home?

Archived