Concordia customers suing for all of this money, be happy your alive!!!

LittleMiss

Carnival and Costa did not ask the Captain to do what he did. Why are they responsible? Oh, yeah, because they have deep pockets.

I am sorry for what the people on Concordia went through just as I am sorry for the Splendor 22 that were robbed in Puerta Vallarta by a lone person, not a band of masked gunmen as was reported incorrectly on Cruise Critic's home page, just as I am sorry for the people on the Allegra, just as I am sorry for the people who were on the Splendor when it caught fire, but things happen. I feel that the compensation offered is fair for most and can be looked at on a case by case basis for those that really suffered losses.

That's how I feel......in my opinion its a big big stretch to blame the cruise line for what happened. I put the blame on Schettino.....but they're not going to get $$$$ by suing him......so they sue the cruise line. Good grief....the last thing on this earth that Costa or Carnival wanted was for their $500,000,000 ship to be sunk and have 32 casualties and thousands of others endure the experience that they did. I do think Costa/Carnival were way too slow to respond to the passengers needs after the accident though. They should have made their compensation offer immediately instead of waiting till public opinion had turned against them. A lot of people still don't seem to understand what has been offered....its not just a refund of their cruise or money off a future cruise.....check this CruiseCritic link to read the offer:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4716

I also think that passengers who were able to get on one of the lifeboats at the beginning suffered far less than the people that were clinging to ropes at the topside 3 or 4 hours later. Its difficult to say what's fair and what isn't fair. And also.....if you escaped the ship uninjured but traumatized by the experience....how is it that more money is going to make you feel better? "$15000 is a slap in the face....but if you give me $1,000,000 I'll feel a lot better"??? How does that work??? I just don't see how so many people put all the blame on Costa/Carnival and hope they get socked with big lawsuits, etc......heck you should know that its the lawyers who will clean up when the dust settles. If we had been on the cruise and escaped uninjured i'm sure we would have taken Carnivals settlement offer.....my only complaint with it is that the $15000 shouldn't include lost property. The value of lost property should be in addition to the $15000 because some peoples property was probably worth a lot more than others....and that would make things more fair for everyone. Just my opinion here.

I do not see where greed is involved, these people went through a very traumatic event, not knowing if they were going to live or die, true there are folks who sue just for the heck of it, but I think this would be a justified lawsuit.

Was the Captain not a Costa employee? Does Carnival Corporation not own Costa Cruise Lines? They shouldn't be responsible because they didn't ask the Captain to run into some rocks and capsize the ship?

Interesting.

I think that an employer should have limited liability for the unauthorized and wreckless actions of an employee.....but in this avaricious world we live in....whoever has the $$$ is to blame.

Why is it that these Costa Concordia customers are attempting to sue the Carnival Corp for all of this money and most of them were not even hurt? Have we as people gotten so greedy that we have to use a misfortune to become rich? I can see if you really were hurt or a loved one was killed or harmed etc... But Really? If you had the money to sail on the ship for heavens sakes and make it off safely, is that not enough? The Captain is going to Jail and your getting your money back from your cruise. Why am I thoroughly disgusted by this greed?

Are you being for real right now? Have you ever been in a traumatizing event in your life? Your post actually disgusts me. The captain is going to jail for what he did, great. The company also needs to be held accountable for what he did on their behalf. I mean if they had never hired this "captain" then maybe it would never happen. Getting money back from emotional trauma isn't greed, and even if some people were just trying to get money to get money it wouldn't even matter, because what happened to the "costa concordia customers" as you call them, victims, should have never happened. Don't belittle what they went through.

Ok so their belongings, but millions? Every day we work and risk our lives just going out of our front doors, sure it was gross negligence, but he is paying for that and so is the corporation. Compensate for what was lost.... Why all the other stuff? I still don't get it, but maybe it's just me...

Maybe it is just you.

The people on that ship were misinformed, lied to, abandoned, put at risk, injured, traumatized and killed because of recklessness by the man responsible for their safety during the cruise.

Carnival and Costa did not ask the Captain to do what he did. Why are they responsible? Oh, yeah, because they have deep pockets.

Because the law holds corporations responsible for the actions of their agents/employees.

People, this wasn't a natural disaster or a flipping accident. This wasn't a cruise where something mechanical broke down.

Filing a law suit does not always indicate greed, although I despise frivolous law suits. Passengers that went through the Concordia wreck didn't get off a cruise that couldn't dock in Grand Cayman for god's sake.

Why is it that these Costa Concordia customers are attempting to sue the Carnival Corp for all of this money and most of them were not even hurt? Have we as people gotten so greedy that we have to use a misfortune to become rich? I can see if you really were hurt or a loved one was killed or harmed etc... But Really? If you had the money to sail on the ship for heavens sakes and make it off safely, is that not enough? The Captain is going to Jail and your getting your money back from your cruise. Why am I thoroughly disgusted by this greed?

OMG! What does having enough money to take the cruise have to do with ANYTHING? And GREED doesn't enter into it either! EVERYONE on that ship could have lost their life and suffered trauma due to the unimaginable negligence by the Captain. The cruise line is responsible for the Captain's actions while in command of their ship. It's the hazards of being in the business. You have NO idea of what these people experienced .... and no right to judge them!

I've had two situations in my life when I was in extreme imminent danger. Once, I was robbed at gunpoint and watched someone pump a shotgun that was pointed at me. The other time I was hiking in some deep woods and I had a full grown boar charge straight at me, getting about twenty feet away before it veered off.

Both of those situations happened over ten years ago, but I still think about them today (not all the time, but every now and then). Together, the two incidents lasted about one minute. The passengers on that ship were in danger for hours, some of it in extreme physical distress (if you've seen the passengers extending themselves over the side of the ship, you know what I mean). They are going to remember this for the rest of their lives. And it was all due to the reckless, irresponsible behavior of the man that Costa and Carnival decided to put in charge of that ship. A free ticket and replacing their lost clothes and luggage is not going to make up for that.

Nobody has mentioned anything or much about loss of work due to PTSD. I had a trauma experience happen to me last year. . I couldn't even be left alone. The only reason I didn't loose my job is because I am self employed. I would imagine the trauma felt from the Concordia accident would be exasperated because the passengers went through an extended period of time 'fearing for their lives'.

Are you being for real right now? Have you ever been in a traumatizing event in your life? Your post actually disgusts me. The captain is going to jail for what he did, great. The company also needs to be held accountable for what he did on their behalf. I mean if they had never hired this "captain" then maybe it would never happen. Getting money back from emotional trauma isn't greed, and even if some people were just trying to get money to get money it wouldn't even matter, because what happened to the "costa concordia customers" as you call them, victims, should have never happened. Don't belittle what they went through.

teddybarehead,

Have you actually watched ANY of the videos now circulating recorded by survivors before, during, and after? If not, you really need to and then come back and say you saw a lot of traumatized people. :rolleyes:

No matter how you spice it up with sensational statements, the Costa Concordia simply pulled into port, disembarked passengers, and isn't able to leave port yet. People died and many have yet to be found, but the fact is that their deaths are not for the benefit of the disembarked passengers or 'victims' as you wish to view them.

You may well view my statements as heartless or cold, but how many eyes have you watched close? How many grieving familys have you attempted to comfort? Traumatic events happen to the best, the youngest, and the least prepared. Those who were simply nearby when traumatic events unfolded should not be entitled to compensation based on what could have happened. Their lottery win was getting off the ship alive; it's foolhardy for them to continue to play.

teddybarehead,

Have you actually watched ANY of the videos now circulating recorded by survivors before, during, and after? If not, you really need to and then come back and say you saw a lot of traumatized people. :rolleyes:

No matter how you spice it up with sensational statements, the Costa Concordia simply pulled into port, disembarked passengers, and isn't able to leave port yet. People died and many have yet to be found, but the fact is that their deaths are not for the benefit of the disembarked passengers or 'victims' as you wish to view them.

You may well view my statements as heartless or cold, but how many eyes have you watched close? How many grieving familys have you attempted to comfort? Traumatic events happen to the best, the youngest, and the least prepared. Those who were simply nearby when traumatic events unfolded should not be entitled to compensation based on what could have happened. Their lottery win was getting off the ship alive; it's foolhardy for them to continue to play.

Do you actually know what the term insensitive jerk means?

Hi, Fish Taco,

I did not know that Aussies like fish tacos.

It seems that Yanks R the Most Litigious members of society. It would be interesting to know the percentages of the nationalities that R suing. Anybody Google this?

Kill all the Lawyers (except for my GrandBaby - first year UCLA School of Law, Major: Sports Law).

Yes it is much more noble to help a bunch of coked up Prima Donnas and ghetto thugs make $15 million a year .

It would one thing if the accident was an Act of God. However, the accident was an Act of Costa Gross Negligence, Under those circumstance , I hope that they get a whole ton of money and maybe even that Costa goes broke.

DON

But your suing because they put you in danger? That's just greedy and no offense to you but my life is worth more than money. I would just be happy to be alive and compensated for my belongings.

Are you really that altruistic? Or are you just playing with us? Personally, I think you are just quite naive in your thinking.

Regardless of the fact they survived..they were put in motal danger by the incompetent Captain and and his incompetent bosses....

Going along with your mode of thinking.....I guess you think it is OK for a surgeon to be drunk when operating on you? Or a pilot to be stoned while piloting your plane? Or more to the point...for a bus driver to purposely drive the wrong way down a one way street so he can wave to his friends as he goes by?

OP....please come into reality....every single person on that ship...pax..and crew alike....have more than valid reasons to sue them....

I think that an employer should have limited liability for the unauthorized and wreckless actions of an employee.....but in this avaricious world we live in....whoever has the $$$ is to blame.

You don't understand things clearly do you?

So, you actually believe that when a company hires and employee and that employee is responsible for the welfare and safety of thousands of people week in and week out...that when that employee is in reality an incompentent piece of garbage and kills several people and sinks a zillion ton ship and causes trememdous grief...all due to that employees incompetence...

That the company who hired him should have no responsibility for his actions? Especially in this case..when the company knew and approved of his "route diversion" that caused this accident?

Why are you disgusted? Probably because you weren't on the ship when this occurred.

I know it affected me the night just watching on the news, and all the broadcasts specials since then. Am I suing? No.

But had I been on that ship that night, going though the horror of everything that happened trying to get my family off that ship I certainly would be suing.

I imagine those who were not physically injured will be suffering mentally for years to come. All because of somebody's stupidity.

Someone will certainly think next time they decide to do such a foolish act.

teddybarehead,

Where do you think you developed this talent of being able to visually identifying traumatized people? Through a television screen, no less.

Ok so their belongings, but millions? Every day we work and risk our lives just going out of our front doors, sure it was gross negligence, but he is paying for that and so is the corporation. Compensate for what was lost.... Why all the other stuff? I still don't get it, but maybe it's just me...

Just wondering what you thought the Titanic survivors should've gotten?

I mean, all they really had to do was put on a lifevest get into a lifeboat and sit a couple hours until they were picked up by another ship. What was that worth?

Easy to pass judgment on this group from the safety and comfort of your computer screen. You speak of the entire incident as if it were a flight delay. Can you envision the terror of feeling the ship keel to the side and begin to sink? I would imagine most passengers did not know that they would be saved by shallow water. "Be thankful your {sic / you're} alive." And to speak so casually of the dead. "Other than funeral expenses for the dead and compensating for the loss of lives.... What else is their {sic}?" This is the most shameful, embarrassing post I have ever read.

You must not be in here much if this is the most shameful post you have seen. Everyone is entitled to an opinion now your judging me. What makes you any better?

I've had two situations in my life when I was in extreme imminent danger. Once, I was robbed at gunpoint and watched someone pump a shotgun that was pointed at me. The other time I was hiking in some deep woods and I had a full grown boar charge straight at me, getting about twenty feet away before it veered off.

Both of those situations happened over ten years ago, but I still think about them today (not all the time, but every now and then). Together, the two incidents lasted about one minute. The passengers on that ship were in danger for hours, some of it in extreme physical distress (if you've seen the passengers extending themselves over the side of the ship, you know what I mean). They are going to remember this for the rest of their lives. And it was all due to the reckless, irresponsible behavior of the man that Costa and Carnival decided to put in charge of that ship. A free ticket and replacing their lost clothes and luggage is not going to make up for that.

Finally, someone who REALLY understands that this kind of compensation is not just for the cost of a cruise, some belongings, and a flight, but from the mental anguish that comes from going through something so traumatic. Some people like the OP don't understand that traumatic events can cause scars that affect you over the course of your life. And just because a person appeared to be untraumatized while you watched them on TV does not mean you know what that person feels after the cameras stopped rolling. Maybe initially a person was able to just be grateful they were alive, but what happens when something - a smell, a sight, a sound - reminds them of this event in which they did not know whether or not they were going to live or die. What happens when these events go around and around in their minds and they can't sleep, when they jump at what we would think was an insignificant sound, because it takes them back to that event? What happens when they are diagnosed with PTSD and they no longer can work? Which means they no longer have health insurance, have to pay out of pocket for counseling, have to pay out of pocket for expensive medications, may still have to try to function as a spouse or parent, all while trying to deal with going on with life. You want to put a price on belongings, but do you ever think of what happens when a person looks for a particular belonging - could be a picture, a favorite book, etc. - and in doing this it causes them to remember why they don't have it, and that brings them back to the event, and all of those PTSD symptoms keep coming back.

It is one thing when something happens that is truly an accident. I lived in a residence hall where a fire happened while I was on the hall, in the room next to me, which we later found out was due to a freak event of a light bulb bursting. And I remember what it was like to run past a room engulfed in flames, just praying all of us would get out okay. Did we all get out and survive? Yes. Did I lose all of my belongings in the fire? Am I thankful that we all survived without harm? YES!! Absolutely!! But you don't realize that it is possible to be extremely thankful AND still have traumatic effects that impact your quality of life. I know what it was like when we had our first fire drill after the fire and I started hyperventilating. I know it was like to have this one event trigger mental health difficulties I still suffer from today. And I cannot even imagine - I really don't want to imagine - what I would have been like after surviving that cruise. I know I couldn't work, I'd probably end up hospitalized at some point, and without working I could not take care of my family. Would $14,500 truly cover the amount of suffering I went through, even though I was thankful to be alive? Is my mental well-being and quality of life worth just that? Absolutely not, it is a slap in the face.

Would I expect Carnival Corp to take care of me for the rest of my life? Absolutely not. I do agree that people sue for stupid reasons, but I can't agree that this is one of those times. Not if you are able to really imagine, not just give a fleeting thought to, what those surviving passengers went through, because of something that was completely negligent and preventable! It's a shame for any person to suffer the effects of any disaster, but when it's something that could have been prevented, then they have every right to seek fair damages. As someone else pointed out, the amount they are suing for is nowhere near the amount they will get, but they at least deserve to fight to get more than what the cruise line is offering. And if a person is able to stop passing judgement and really try to understand the trauma of being on this ship, they would understand this. Not every person is able to say "I'm so glad I'm alive!" and that be the only thing they need to say to go on with their life. Most people are not like that - but it must be nice to be able to get over trauma that quickly.

That's how I feel......in my opinion its a big big stretch to blame the cruise line for what happened. I put the blame on Schettino.....but they're not going to get $$$$ by suing him......so they sue the cruise line. Good grief....the last thing on this earth that Costa or Carnival wanted was for their $500,000,000 ship to be sunk and have 32 casualties and thousands of others endure the experience that they did. I do think Costa/Carnival were way too slow to respond to the passengers needs after the accident though. They should have made their compensation offer immediately instead of waiting till public opinion had turned against them. A lot of people still don't seem to understand what has been offered....its not just a refund of their cruise or money off a future cruise.....check this CruiseCritic link to read the offer:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4716

I also think that passengers who were able to get on one of the lifeboats at the beginning suffered far less than the people that were clinging to ropes at the topside 3 or 4 hours later. Its difficult to say what's fair and what isn't fair. And also.....if you escaped the ship uninjured but traumatized by the experience....how is it that more money is going to make you feel better? "$15000 is a slap in the face....but if you give me $1,000,000 I'll feel a lot better"??? How does that work??? I just don't see how so many people put all the blame on Costa/Carnival and hope they get socked with big lawsuits, etc......heck you should know that its the lawyers who will clean up when the dust settles. If we had been on the cruise and escaped uninjured i'm sure we would have taken Carnivals settlement offer.....my only complaint with it is that the $15000 shouldn't include lost property. The value of lost property should be in addition to the $15000 because some peoples property was probably worth a lot more than others....and that would make things more fair for everyone. Just my opinion here.

Agreed!

Finally, someone who REALLY understands that this kind of compensation is not just for the cost of a cruise, some belongings, and a flight, but from the mental anguish that comes from going through something so traumatic. Some people like the OP don't understand that traumatic events can cause scars that affect you over the course of your life. And just because a person appeared to be untraumatized while you watched them on TV does not mean you know what that person feels after the cameras stopped rolling. Maybe initially a person was able to just be grateful they were alive, but what happens when something - a smell, a sight, a sound - reminds them of this event in which they did not know whether or not they were going to live or die. What happens when these events go around and around in their minds and they can't sleep, when they jump at what we would think was an insignificant sound, because it takes them back to that event? What happens when they are diagnosed with PTSD and they no longer can work? Which means they no longer have health insurance, have to pay out of pocket for counseling, have to pay out of pocket for expensive medications, may still have to try to function as a spouse or parent, all while trying to deal with going on with life. You want to put a price on belongings, but do you ever think of what happens when a person looks for a particular belonging - could be a picture, a favorite book, etc. - and in doing this it causes them to remember why they don't have it, and that brings them back to the event, and all of those PTSD symptoms keep coming back.

It is one thing when something happens that is truly an accident. I lived in a residence hall where a fire happened while I was on the hall, in the room next to me, which we later found out was due to a freak event of a light bulb bursting. And I remember what it was like to run past a room engulfed in flames, just praying all of us would get out okay. Did we all get out and survive? Yes. Did I lose all of my belongings in the fire? Am I thankful that we all survived without harm? YES!! Absolutely!! But you don't realize that it is possible to be extremely thankful AND still have traumatic effects that impact your quality of life. I know what it was like when we had our first fire drill after the fire and I started hyperventilating. I know it was like to have this one event trigger mental health difficulties I still suffer from today. And I cannot even imagine - I really don't want to imagine - what I would have been like after surviving that cruise. I know I couldn't work, I'd probably end up hospitalized at some point, and without working I could not take care of my family. Would $14,500 truly cover the amount of suffering I went through, even though I was thankful to be alive? Is my mental well-being and quality of life worth just that? Absolutely not, it is a slap in the face.

Would I expect Carnival Corp to take care of me for the rest of my life? Absolutely not. I do agree that people sue for stupid reasons, but I can't agree that this is one of those times. Not if you are able to really imagine, not just give a fleeting thought to, what those surviving passengers went through, because of something that was completely negligent and preventable! It's a shame for any person to suffer the effects of any disaster, but when it's something that could have been prevented, then they have every right to seek fair damages. As someone else pointed out, the amount they are suing for is nowhere near the amount they will get, but they at least deserve to fight to get more than what the cruise line is offering. And if a person is able to stop passing judgement and really try to understand the trauma of being on this ship, they would understand this. Not every person is able to say "I'm so glad I'm alive!" and that be the only thing they need to say to go on with their life. Most people are not like that - but it must be nice to be able to get over trauma that quickly.

This is what happens when some people lump the coffee in the lap lawsuits with lawsuits that are more significant.

I do not see where greed is involved, these people went through a very traumatic event, not knowing if they were going to live or die, true there are folks who sue just for the heck of it, but I think this would be a justified lawsuit.

Like cruisersnc said 15000 a slap in the face but 100,000,000 will make me feel a lot better?? Really how?

Granted, they are traumatized, now what can 100,000,000 dollars do? Ease the pain NO!! They are still traumatized. If you can prove to me that a million dollars will take away traumatization, then I'll buy it. Ok take the million dollars and pay cash for the doctors visits?? Maybe, but most will probably still use their insurance, do you see where I am going here??

Archived