Question/Airline Experts

Gsel

After spending over an hour on hold with AA yesterday only to be cut off I have given up trying to figure this one out. We purchased tickets on AA back in January for our cruise and then also purchased the priority seating. Due to the recent back surgery I had the upgraded seating is very necessary. In late February we received an email from AA they were refunding the price of the priority seats for the outbound seats, no reason, nothing. I have tried repeatedly to find out why with emails, calls, etc. and cannot get any answers. The flights have not changed and our seats have not changed. Any ideas? They have only refunded the price of the outbound seats, not the return.

Thanks

American's preferred seating doesn't give you any extra room - all you are paying for is seating up front. If you have some medical issues, getting this preferred seating really isn't going to do you any good. They are going to offer in the future and will shortly refit planes with it, but chances are it may or may not be offered on your flight.

American's preferred seating doesn't give you any extra room - all you are paying for is seating up front. If you have some medical issues, getting this preferred seating really isn't going to do you any good. They are going to offer in the future and will shortly refit planes with it, but chances are it may or may not be offered on your flight.

I was going to say that perhaps there had a been a change in aircraft, and that maybe row "X" (where the OP's seats are) on the new aircraft is not preferred seating. But Alidor's response would seem to indicate that that's not a viable explanation. I would try to call AA again.

American's preferred seating doesn't give you any extra room - all you are paying for is seating up front. If you have some medical issues, getting this preferred seating really isn't going to do you any good.

This is correct; there is no extra legroom at the current time for these seats, except for the aisle bulkhead seat (7D) or in the exit row (which I am guessing you wouldn't be eligible for due to the recent surgery). The only advantage is that you are closer to the front of the plane.

If your seats have not been changed, and you received a refund, I am not sure what the problem is.

Sorry! Very frustrated! DFW/SEA - June 15 flt 545

My guess is that when you booked that flight AA showed it as using a Boeing 737-800. From June 14 onward, AA now shows AA 545 to be using an MD-80, a different aircraft with (very) different seating arrangements. Seats allocated as "priority" on 738s are not necessarily the same on MD80s.

As mentioned, the "priority" designation doesn't give you a different seat type, just a different location within the cabin (usually farther forward.) AA's new "Main Cabin Extra" seating (more legroom) won't be retrofitted to the MD80s, and won't really be available on any but a few new aircraft for months/years to come.

The "good" news in this is that the MD80s have 2-3 seating in coach, unlike 3-3 on the 738s, so if it were me I'd go online and see if your allocated seats are on the 2 vs. 3 side. If there are two of you, by all means pick the 2 seat side - much more pleasant IMO than the 3-side.

It was the M80 when we booked and the 2-3 confirguration. We wanted the left side and did realize there was not more leg room just wanted to board early and and not have to worry about having to hassle with waiting to board and find a place for carry-on. Not sure the price and convenience is worth all the hassle! AA's low customer service rating sure is self explanatory, I used to work for this airline! They have really lowered their standards, such a hard thing for the "old timers" to see. Thanks for the help, I will get back on the phone.

Apologies if I do not understand, but if you are just seeking the ability to board early, could you not just explain your situation to the ground crew on the day of departure; I imagine they would allow you to get on early so you do not have to stand in line, etc.

I recently checked the seats I had purchased on American and they had changed. Furthermore, one route was discontiued so I was on a different flight and another flight changed the departure time. The lady on the phone told me that Outbounds had changed.

I have 3 kids (Boys 4,9,10). On the Outbound to Barcelona they had my wife and I in Row 42 and the kids in 31. We originally had as all in 31. The reason was that they switched aircraft. Flight number didnt change but aircraft type did and we were at an Exit door.

Also, another flight they blocked off some seats for preffered customers. So, they moved us back a row.

So, they did recently make some changes.

Yes, we could have asked for early boarding, but as a former FA I know all too well that does not always happen when you don't "look" like you need it.

AA has recently made plenty of changes and I have been watching those, No changes to either of our flights.

We just wanted the two seats near the front!! We almost wish we had booked Southwest and paid more for three seats. (I said almost!)

I am again on hold......have been for almost an hour.

AA is making significant, ongoing changes. Pre-bankruptcy, they had already started replacing the gas hog MD-80s with 737-800's. After the bankruptcy, they returned quite a few aircraft to the lessors, dropped many routes, flights, and several cities, and announced orders for a lot of new aircraft. So a lot of similar "churn" has to be expected from AA for awhile; better in the long run but certainly no help in the short term!

I think your situation was caused by a "ripple effect"...possibly 1 or more DFW-SEA flights have been dropped or the aircraft downsized. Some passengers on those flights have been rebooked onto your flight. AA (or any other airline's) pecking order is to re-accommodate elite and full-fare passengers as seamlessly as possible. Some of the priority boardings (including yours) had to be made available...thus the refund.

Agree you should have received an explanation with the refund. Unless there's a massive weather event or something, never spend an hour on hold...it sounds like you were accidentally or deliberately sent to "call center jail". Usually, simply hanging up calling back in or calling after 10pm Pacific or before 7am Eastern will get faster results.

I recently checked the seats I had purchased on American and they had changed. Furthermore, one route was discontiued so I was on a different flight and another flight changed the departure time. The lady on the phone told me that Outbounds had changed.

I have 3 kids (Boys 4,9,10). On the Outbound to Barcelona they had my wife and I in Row 42 and the kids in 31. We originally had as all in 31. The reason was that they switched aircraft. Flight number didnt change but aircraft type did and we were at an Exit door.

Also, another flight they blocked off some seats for preffered customers. So, they moved us back a row.

So, they did recently make some changes.

I had a similar experience; I was checking our flights on line, and saw they no longer existed (LOL). I gave a call to AA, and they were very efficient about addressing the changes and rebooking us. I do think that is was odd that I had to call them, as opposed to them notifying us of the change.

I do think that is was odd that I had to call them, as opposed to them notifying us of the change.

It's not odd at all. I don't know of any airlines which notify you directly about flight changes, except for changes in the 24 hours before the flight. You need to check your reservation on the airline's web page. If a change has been made, it will show there. You then need to accept the change.

It's not odd at all. I don't know of any airlines which notify you directly about flight changes, except for changes in the 24 hours before the flight. You need to check your reservation on the airline's web page. If a change has been made, it will show there. You then need to accept the change.

I guess my statement reflects my ignorance of airline policy. Still seems to me that with technology available today, the airlines would be able to notify passengers of changes when the occur. Oh well, what do I know.

Kenish, refund center is open from 9am until 4:30pm CST, makes it very difficult to reach them. I think I am just going to keep trying. The number of the refund center will not even put you on hold now, just hangs up on you. I spent another hour on hold this afternoon. Won't do that again. Regualar ticketing won't even try to answer the questions.

I have checked and re-checked our reservations and will continue to do so. They are still selling tickets on this flight and there are still seats left. This situation has me totally confused.

I guess my statement reflects my ignorance of airline policy. Still seems to me that with technology available today, the airlines would be able to notify passengers of changes when the occur. Oh well, what do I know.

Yeah, you would think. The lady told me that when the changes occured, the system should have generated an e-mail. However, due to psychological issues that go on in my head, I check my stuff often. And even though I already have tickets, I search for cheaper ones for some reason.

Yeah, you would think. The lady told me that when the changes occured, the system should have generated an e-mail. However, due to psychological issues that go on in my head, I check my stuff often. And even though I already have tickets, I search for cheaper ones for some reason.

Agree +1

OP if you worked for them you must belong to AAdvantage. When I have an issue or discover a flight change I call the AAdvantage desk. I sometimes have to wait but not for long and the issue is quickly resolved when they do answer. Try calling a number for the Advantage program. You might also try calling the special services department. With a doctor's statement there really shouldn't be any problem for you to get the services you need to travel safely and comfortably. Good luck and have a wonderful cruise.

They are still selling tickets on this flight and there are still seats left. This situation has me totally confused.

Didn't realize the hours of the refund center. They really aren't the right department to address your question (though I can't tell you who is, since you tried regular reservations).

No reason to be confused...if I understand correctly, you purchased Group 1 Boarding and/or Preferred Seating. There are only a certain number of G1B's and PS available per flight. If 80% of the flight was G1B, that would defeat the purpose and not give anyone value. My theory was that other premiere and full-fare passengers from discontinued flights were re-booked onto your flight. They essentially "bumped" you from G1B or PS, so the airline refunded your $$.

This has nothing to do with seats still being available on your flight, unless you see PS still available. Hope that un-confuses things.

Delta has ALWAYS notified me, via e-mail of any changes..even if it was a flight change of 4 minutes. So far I am up to 6 notifications for my May trip..I figure I am due for about 4 more!:rolleyes:

Thanks everyone for all the help, but I think I am just going to have to wait this one out. I have tried the Aadvantage number and they were little help as they couldn't figure it out either. There are still Priority seats available on the flight, so that isn't it. Guess we will find out sooner or later!! I think AA has plenty of customer service issues that need to be addressed and until they do they are going to stay at the bottom of that list.

Delta has ALWAYS notified me, via e-mail of any changes..even if it was a flight change of 4 minutes. So far I am up to 6 notifications for my May trip..I figure I am due for about 4 more!:rolleyes:

You are very fortunate. MOST airlines don't notify until about 30-60 days out. I am always notified but I am a top tier AA flier. DH, who is a low status flier, RARELY gets notification.

Thanks everyone for all the help, but I think I am just going to have to wait this one out. I have tried the Aadvantage number and they were little help as they couldn't figure it out either. There are still Priority seats available on the flight, so that isn't it. Guess we will find out sooner or later!! I think AA has plenty of customer service issues that need to be addressed and until they do they are going to stay at the bottom of that list.

I, too, don't understand what the problem is. You have the same seats and you were refunded your Priority money. Sounds like a win-win to me. And if you really want to get on the plane first, call Special Services and ask for wheel chair service. You will be the LAST OFF the plane if that matters.

I don't carry on a roller (take whatever I need on the plane in my computer bag) because I can check luggage for free (EXP) BUT if I didn't have status and free luggage, I sure wouldn't worry about overhead space. Gate checked luggage (as long as you take out your essentials) is a VERY nice way not to have to hassle dragging the rollers down the aisle and lifting them into overhead space.

Most airlines don't do this. I never fly Delta, so was unaware that they do notifications. From all the complaints I have read about Delta making flight changes, perhaps this is some type of damage control :D

Archived