New Drinks Packages

Hi

Has anyone been onboard one of the ships that are doing the new drinks packages in 2012? There are now only the two packages on trial, if you have done this..... which one did you opt for and what did you think of it?

Beer Package....$45 per guest per day.

Premium Package.....$55 per guest per day.

Angie X

I went for the lower package at New Year 2012 on Independence and thought it was good value - soft drinks, draught or bottled beer and house wines are included. You also get 20% off other drinks.

Our family was split between 2 rooms my wife was in the other so I only had to buy a single package this meant I could buy my wife drinks with 20% reduction and I could drink as much Peroni and house wine without worrying about the cost important for me at New Year.

As tips were included I added an additional $1 to each receipt for wife's drinks and everyone was happy.

We were told there is some sort of limit but I never reached it.

I read on another forum today that people were being limited to the number of drinks. Apparently 4 during dinner is the maximum allowed. Other commented that they had reached their limit early in the cruise.

Again might just be rumours, but would not be very happy if unlimited was actually limited.

There would likely be a couple days that I would make such a package worth my while, but not every day. This is why I don't buy the soda packages either - I enjoy soda, but it would only only be worthwhile for a few days out of the cruise.

I know there are plenty of people that would drink enough to make $45 or $55 per day be a good value, but if they limit the number of drinks anyway, that would defeat the purpose.

The new package prices to me seem very expensive and even though I like a drink, I think they have overpriced now to the point where some people wont bother.

On my last cruise, me and hubby brought the middle $39 per person per day package which even included the house champagne, house wine, beer and alchoholic cocktails - sadly not pinot grigio which was my favourite!

Just wondered if anyone had tried one of the new package's and found it to be good value. If rumours are true about the limits, then calling it "all inclusive" is utter rubbish :eek:

Although limits were mentioned to me I never saw anyone being refused and one group of taxi drivers were really going for it.

I paid $39 per day for my package and was told the price was rising for the next cruise and it has. We're back on Independence in October and will not be buying the package it doesn't seem good value unless you average 7 drinks per day every day, with port visits etc that seems unlikely for me.

I think you will find that RCI are quite familiar with all inclusive because they own Pullmantur which is run separately and is all inclusive:) but we have sailed on there a few times they never have limited our drinking and we have traveled with some quite heavy drinkers .Also the standard of drinks is a lot higher than British companies doing noninclusive

• 1 month later...
Hi

Has anyone been onboard one of the ships that are doing the new drinks packages in 2012? There are now only the two packages on trial, if you have done this..... which one did you opt for and what did you think of it?

Beer Package....$45 per guest per day.

Premium Package.....$55 per guest per day.

Angie X

We went for the $55 package on IOS in Feb2012, for the simple reason that we like Fosters oil can and Magners Cider which are both over $7 and therefore only on the $55 package. Otherwise $45 would have done. We did get our moneys worth, but each to their own.

I went for the lower package at New Year 2012 on Independence and thought it was good value - soft drinks, draught or bottled beer and house wines are included. You also get 20% off other drinks.

Our family was split between 2 rooms my wife was in the other so I only had to buy a single package this meant I could buy my wife drinks with 20% reduction and I could drink as much Peroni and house wine without worrying about the cost important for me at New Year.

As tips were included I added an additional $1 to each receipt for wife's drinks and everyone was happy.

Although limits were mentioned to me I never saw anyone being refused and one group of taxi drivers were really going for it.

I paid $39 per day for my package and was told the price was rising for the next cruise and it has. We're back on Independence in October and will not be buying the package it doesn't seem good value unless you average 7 drinks per day every day, with port visits etc that seems unlikely for me.

I am surprised that you don't consider it a good value since you found a way around the rules and basically got your self a two for one special. I wonder why the price was going to be rising.....:rolleyes:

Well, as a shareholder, I am not happy that you cheated the company.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, as a shareholder, I am not happy that you cheated the company.

Sorry can you please explain how I cheated the company? I paid for my wife's drinks and tipped the waiter. Are you suggesting I should refuse the 20% discount included in the beverage package?

I am surprised that you don't consider it a good value since you found a way around the rules and basically got your self a two for one special. I wonder why the price was going to be rising.....:rolleyes:

Can you explain how I got myself a two for one special?

I paid for my wife's drinks. I didn't find a way around the rules I followed the rules exactly. RCI do not allow children to share a cabin unless they are next to the parents.

Can you explain how I got myself a two for one special?

I paid for my wife's drinks. I didn't find a way around the rules I followed the rules exactly. RCI do not allow children to share a cabin unless they are next to the parents.

I am quite sure with drink packages the 20% discount is for drinks for the owner of the package, not for others that he decides to buy drinks for. You said, yourself, that since your wife was in another cabin you only had to buy one drink package. You bought yourself a package and used the benefits of that package to buy drinks for your wife at 20% off. Yup, you followed the rules exactly.

I am quite sure with drink packages the 20% discount is for drinks for the owner of the package, not for others that he decides to buy drinks for. You said, yourself, that since your wife was in another cabin you only had to buy one drink package. You bought yourself a package and used the benefits of that package to buy drinks for your wife at 20% off. Yup, you followed the rules exactly.

Was that a partial apology or an attempt at sarcasm?

For avoidance of doubt I always made it clear the 'paid for' drink was for my wife. One bartender did not give me 20% discount when I queried it he said it was because the drink was for my wife and not me, his supervisor intervened and I was given the discount. So you are not the only one who is misguided.

Are you dropping this accusation now?

Done Celebrity cruises where they have drinks packages. Now looking at my first RCL. Can anyone tell me if they have the packages (especially Premium) on cruises from Fort Lauderdale? Thanks

The packages are not available when the 4 ships (Independence,Grandeur,Legend & Splendour) are sailing in the US.

The 25% discount is not for other guests drinks..it is for the person who bought the package when they wish to buy a drink/spirit that is not included in the package.

Q. If Guest A buys the package, can they get a drink for Guest B?

A. No. The package should only be used by a Guest who has purchased it and drinks should not be given to any other Guest. All Guest’s in a stateroom who are eligible will be required to purchase a package.

Archived