Lobster on Equinox..formal only?

NSAHO79

We are considering a cruise on Celebrity and this would be our first time. Other cruises have been on NCL and Princess. A friend told me that the MDR has lobster on the menu but it is only on Formal nights and you cannot eat in the MDR unless you are in formal attire. This does not seem right so I am hoping someone can give me more info. We do not bring formal clothes and only pack "smart casual" for the dining rooms. Is there another way to get lobster? Thanks.:o

Your friend is correct. Lobster is on the menu for one formal night in the MDR which does require formal attire on that evening. Lobster is also offered on the 2nd formal night in Blu if you are staying in an Aquaclass cabin. Blu's dress code is always smart casual or above. (it was excellent!)

Lobster is also offered nightly at the specialty restaurant Murano. There is a $40 pp charge in the specialty restaurants. Dress code is also smart casual or above there.

Edited by librarylady19

We are considering a cruise on Celebrity and this would be our first time. Other cruises have been on NCL and Princess. A friend told me that the MDR has lobster on the menu but it is only on Formal nights and you cannot eat in the MDR unless you are in formal attire. This does not seem right so I am hoping someone can give me more info. We do not bring formal clothes and only pack "smart casual" for the dining rooms. Is there another way to get lobster? Thanks.:o

Formal night on Celebrity does not REQUIRE formal attire in the MDR. Many men wear dark suits and some, including me, wear sports jackets or blazers with nice pants. You will not feel out of place if you don't wear a tuxedo.

The suggested attire for males on formal night in the main dining room is tux or suit and tie etc., or dinner jacket etc. A sport coat is not proper formal wear, but the "what I can get away with crowd" will suggest that it is appropriate attire for formal night. Thye are not correct.

The suggested attire for males on formal night in the main dining room is tux or suit and tie etc., or dinner jacket etc. A sport coat is not proper formal wear, but the "what I can get away with crowd" will suggest that it is appropriate attire for formal night. They are not correct.

Since we now only book aqua class, it doesn't matter at all for us because formal wear is never suggested, although some do it anyway on formal night. When we book concierge (to get a rear facing cabin), we eat in a specialty restaurant on formal nights because we don't like formal nights.....we have enough charity events at home to allow us to wear formal clothes.

The key message to the OP is that you don't have to have a tuxedo to enter the main dining room on formal nights. Whether they choose to wear a suit or a sports jacket is up to them...and they will not feel out of place in either since both are common...whether it's correct or not.

I noticed you are from Nova Scotia - are you used to fresh Atlantic lobster?

This is not the type served on the cruise. It was a smallish tail with other seafood with it. While it was good, it would not determine if I wanted to bring a suit just to have it.

We are from New England - best lobster in the world!!!!!!!::D

Also if you dont want to dress up for formal night you can order room service via your room steward from the MDR menu. We have done this several times and enjoyed a delicious dinner on our balcony. Quite nice :)

I noticed you are from Nova Scotia - are you used to fresh Atlantic lobster?

This is not the type served on the cruise. It was a smallish tail with other seafood with it. While it was good, it would not determine if I wanted to bring a suit just to have it.

We are from New England - best lobster in the world!!!!!!!::D

Agreed. I grew up in Boston and I avoid cruise ship lobster. I know some people love them, but if you are used to fresh cold water lobster properly prepared you will find cruise ship lobster mediocre at best.

Agreed. I grew up in Boston and I avoid cruise ship lobster. I know some people love them, but if you are used to fresh cold water lobster properly prepared you will find cruise ship lobster mediocre at best.

Agree, born in Nova Scotia and grew up in Boston. Cold water lobster (and fresh!) is the only way to go. I would prefer the steak on that night and maybe some nice shrimp or scallops.

The suggested attire for males on formal night in the main dining room is tux or suit and tie etc., or dinner jacket etc. A sport coat is not proper formal wear, but the "what I can get away with crowd" will suggest that it is appropriate attire for formal night. Thye are not correct.
Actually formal is white tie and tails. Just because Celebrity thinks that a tux is formal does not make it so. If I wear actual formal wear (which is not on Celebrity's suggested attire list), does that put me in the "what I can get away with crowd"?

BTW Celebrity has a new menu in the last week or so. Some items gone, but the large whole lobster tail is significantly better than what has been served the last few years. But still not fresh cold water lobster:(

Thom

Hi NSAH079,

As a fellow Canadian, let me tell you... don't worry about it... just skip the lobster !!

It is a warm water lobster (small, not as tasty, and a touch gummy / rubbery / chewy). NOTHING like the wonderful melt-in-your mouth "To Die For" Lobster you get down east in Nova Scotia - Bay of Fundy - PEI or Maine.

On the otherhand, for a poor inland Ontarian it was better than nothing... so we did enjoy it.

Had it twice on our cruise (Solstice - Eastern Caribbean - January 15th Sailing) although that was BEFORE the change in the Menus for 2012...

Once as Lobster Thermidor in Murano's (extra Service Charge for this Specialty Restaurant is $ 40 per person) and then again the MDR for our Second Formal Night (crab stuffed). Photos linked below.

I went with the "alternative" preparations because I knew what I was getting, and that it would NEVER stand up to the amazing Lobster I enjoy whenever I am "down east"

Now I've heard that the "preparations" / presentations have changed for the newly released 2012 Menus (within the last month) ... but still it boils down to being a small warm water lobster.

Lol, As for the MDR... the official guidelines from Celebrity are indeed a Formal Dress Code (as per their Guidelines for Gentlemen = White Dinner Jacket - Tuxedo - or Dark Suit)... of course there are folks who like to see "what they can get away with"... but the majority of the male Cruisers we saw were dominated by Black & White in their attire ... or appropriate traditional formal wear (ie Kilts, Military Dress Uniforms, etc)... which is what the line was going for I guess origninally when they set the Dress Code.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

PHOTOS

1- Lobster Thermidor being Flambeed Tableside (Murano's)

2- Crab Stuffed Lobster on Formal Night (Grand Epernay MDR)

1112306109_DSCF6082(2)(620x465).jpg.bcdb5a45de89b4d85ea2f93451c29038.jpg

1625233507_DSCF6233(2)(620x465).jpg.ecd9e95b4badb77f6c37d0a32ef5ee68.jpg

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

That does not make any sense to someone familiar with Atlantic lobster - especially Newfoundland lobster. One wears one's oldest clothes - ratty worn blue jeans and a bib over an old T shirt and digs in. Dripping butter, breaking shells, good company, festive mood. Not going to happen at a formal dinner. Once you've had a Newfy lobster, Newfy style everything else pales in comparison. So skip the lobster.

That does not make any sense to someone familiar with Atlantic lobster - especially Newfoundland lobster. One wears one's oldest clothes - ratty worn blue jeans and a bib over an old T shirt and digs in. Dripping butter, breaking shells, good company, festive mood. Not going to happen at a formal dinner. Once you've had a Newfy lobster, Newfy style everything else pales in comparison. So skip the lobster.

Have you ever eaten lobster on a Celebrity cruise?

It's on the second formal night.Really,I can't understand all the stressing over this.Just take a blazer and you could wear this over a nice black t shirt and wear sandals.No one will stop you.As for the lobster and dripping butter,all I can say is if you are used to eating fresh lobster from Nova Scotia or Maine then perhaps you might want to pass on the lobster tail.Last year the tails were about as big as your finger.This year,they are bigger but it's still just a tail.

But what else would I have as I quaff my Screech? Mmmm...

But what else would I have as I quaff my Screech? Mmmm...

Yum - Screech. We met a wonderful Newfy family (15-20 adults) at a Fort Lauderdale hotel the night before our cruises, and they were kind enough to introduce us to Screech.

Wonder if anyone on the Boards is going to question - "What's Screech?"

Yum - Screech. We met a wonderful Newfy family (15-20 adults) at a Fort Lauderdale hotel the night before our cruises, and they were kind enough to introduce us to Screech.

Wonder if anyone on the Boards is going to question - "What's Screech?"

TO MARTINIREN,

Aye... but inquiring minds want to know...

Were you officially "screetched in"...

Anotherwords... "Did ya kis da caad ?"

Any good Canadian will tell you that it don't truly count otherwise !!

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

• 1 year later...
Also if you dont want to dress up for formal night you can order room service via your room steward from the MDR menu. We have done this several times and enjoyed a delicious dinner on our balcony. Quite nice :)

Ditto - did this one night my wife wasn't feeling to good. The only issue is they bring all the courses at once. Not that big of a deal but it isn't spaced out like in the MDR. It was pretty enjoyable though. And yes, I ordered 2 lobsters :)

The only part I feel guilty about is that they make your room steward bring your food. They have enough to do without bringing room service.

Duane