Visits to the naughty room

MAJ

I have noticed this so do believe you. At the same time if this was a real concern on the ship ... things like hair dryers and curling irons would be banned as they use the higher end volts for appliances.

Hair dryers and curling irons have unique little fuses inside called "thermistors" which open the circuit if the device gets too hot, and won't allow the device to be turned back on until the internal temperature gets back below a specific pre-programmed temperature.

One of the reasons the cruise line provides a hair dryer is because they can bulk-purchase 220V 50HZ devices that match the ship's power supply.

Hair dryers and curling irons have unique little fuses inside called "thermistors" which open the circuit if the device gets too hot, and won't allow the device to be turned back on until the internal temperature gets back below a specific pre-programmed temperature.

One of the reasons the cruise line provides a hair dryer is because they can bulk-purchase 220V 50HZ devices that match the ship's power supply.

But don't clothing irons have this same fuse? I know if my iron here at the house gets too hot it has an auto shut off feature.

But don't clothing irons have this same fuse? I know if my iron here at the house gets too hot it has an auto shut off feature.

Not exactly. The safety circuitry of an iron is a lot more complex. The better irons have three different (but inter-related) safety mechanisms: 1) time; 2) orientation, and 3) temperature. If the iron remains stationery for a pre-determined time, it will shut off; if it is in a horizontal position for too long it will shut off; and if it is used at too high a temperature setting for too long it will turn off. Unfortunately, because of the intended use of an iron, all of these pre-set limits are useless if the iron's electronics meltdown because of incorrect current

Not exactly. The safety circuitry of an iron is a lot more complex. The better irons have three different (but inter-related) safety mechanisms: 1) time; 2) orientation, and 3) temperature. If the iron remains stationery for a pre-determined time, it will shut off; if it is in a horizontal position for too long it will shut off; and if it is used at too high a temperature setting for too long it will turn off. Unfortunately, because of the intended use of an iron, all of these pre-set limits are useless if the iron's electronics meltdown because of incorrect current

But here is where my issue comes in... curling irons are the 4th leading cause of house fires. It would seem the electrical safety measures don't work as intended for this to be the case. Granted I am sure 99% of the fires are human error but that is still an extremely high cause of fires to still allow them on ships. In relation clothing irons are way down towards the bottom of the appliance/house fire causes.

If the cruise companies were so concerned with fire safety ONLY when banning clothing irons, I would think they would ban other items that have a (statistically speaking) much higher chance of causing a fire.

But here is where my issue comes in... curling irons are the 4th leading cause of house fires. It would seem the electrical safety measures don't work as intended for this to be the case. Granted I am sure 99% of the fires are human error but that is still an extremely high cause of fires to still allow them on ships. In relation clothing irons are way down towards the bottom of the appliance/house fire causes.

If the cruise companies were so concerned with fire safety ONLY when banning clothing irons, I would think they would ban other items that have a (statistically speaking) much higher chance of causing a fire.

I have no idea why anyone does anything that appears to defy logic. I'm staying out of that swamp. Just trying to clarify the circuitry inside these devices. YOYO regarding logic;)

Now if they could only ban spandex;)

Sadly I too had to visit the "Naughty Room" on Oasis ..........

How embarassing to have to stand there whilst a member of the security opened my case and searched through it to discover and confiscate .........

?????

My plastic-coated hair rollers !!!

Yes - I jest not !!!

Apparently they have very thin wire inside them - which apparently could be used as a weapon ?!?!?

I am NEVER taking those Bad Boys cruising with me ever again !!!

:eek: :o :mad:

I've been called to the naughty room too, though I wasn't smuggling any contraband onboard. They wanted to see my power strip. We got in the line and claimed my bag...on the outside was a strip of masking tape with "extension cord" written on it. I showed them the power strip, and since it was the surge protector type, they said it was ok (this was Allure) As we were about to leave, I noticed the case of the lady who was behind us in line...a tiny little lady who looked to be in her 70's. The tape on her bag said "Brass Knuckles". Everyone in the naughty room stopped to watch, she was so flustered, she couldn't figure out what the problem was. Turns out it was an evening bag with a handle on top that looked like the illegal weapon! LOL Even security got a laugh out of that, and let her keep her purse. :D

You know what's weird is if you can afford to spend three weeks in the US from whatever country and then take a cruise, you can afford to pay to get some dry cleaning done. Why be so cheap it seems kinda foolish, what happens if you get marked as a repeat offender and then thrown off the cruise seems like a waste just to try and break the rules for such trivial things.

You know what's weird is if you can afford to spend three weeks in the US from whatever country and then take a cruise, you can afford to pay to get some dry cleaning done. Why be so cheap it seems kinda foolish, what happens if you get marked as a repeat offender and then thrown off the cruise seems like a waste just to try and break the rules for such trivial things.

This I do agree with. Besides who in the heck irons while on vacation?!?!?!

Bring wrinkle free clothing :D

This I do agree with. Besides who in the heck irons while on vacation?!?!?!

Bring wrinkle free clothing :D

Or just hang the wrinkled clothes in the bathroom and turn on the shower to hot and close the door for 20 minutes:D

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Or just hang the wrinkled clothes in the bathroom and turn on the shower to hot and close the door for 20 minutes:D

Exactly!!!!!!

I am wife/mom to a family of 5. Due to this and the fact my family loves to travel (not just cruise) I have learned to be an extremely creative packer. If I didn't ... my vacation would be spent with laundry and that WILL not happen LOL

For hubby and the boys (boys 15,17) For the day I always pack them swim trunks. One pair for each day. I don't get the floral huge designs on them but rather solid color or the sporty side stripe. With each swim trunk I add a t shirt. They are happy not to wear "dressy" short outfits, are comfortable, their clothes dry super fast making jumping in and out of the pool fun without having to go back to the room to change constantly. They can wear these trunks and shirt into the Windjammer for lunch no problems and then go strait from there and jump in the pool or go work out or take a nap. There is no need for cotton dressy shorts on a cruise.

My kids wear a school uniform during the year. Due to this I always buy wrinkle free slacks to make my life easier. Add a polo shirt for casual nights, a dress shirt (wrinkle free) and tie for the smart casual nights. For formal night I am forcing them to wear a suit. They are going shopping with dad to get one each as they have outgrown their old suits LOL ... I sent them with the orders to get a wrinkle free suit. Hubby has a couple he wears to work and they are great!

For my daughter (11) I pack the 2 piece swim suits with board shorts and tankini. These are so multi functional!!! She is modestly covered (I can't stand tween hoochie mamas) and can go into the Windjammer and swim as well without issues. It looks like she has a cute pair of shorts and a tank top on. I do pack her a few more traditional bathing suits but she enjoys the board shorts more and they are ADORABLE. When it comes to dresses for both her and I, I look for extremely light materials that are not restrictive. I have my little sexy black dress here at home but I don't bring it on the cruise. Good example why I don't.. On our St Martin Day we will be snorkeling from 9am until 6pm there abouts. No matter how militant I am about sunscreen we are going to be crispy that evening. Nobody wants tight restrictive clothing with a sunburn/wind burn/tired from the ocean all day. Its so much nicer to have a super light material that is feminine, adorable and comfortable! The light material also makes it a snap for wrinkles... hot shower 5-10 minutes, presto no wrinkles!

I'm thinking that any embarrassment that anyone might feel is really minor if security manages to detect and find something that might be used for other than nice reasons on a ship.

Of course they will find things like hair rollers with wires in them and it might be a bit embarrassing to the pax who have to wait in line. Small price to pay. IMO.

I'm thinking that any embarrassment that anyone might feel is really minor if security manages to detect and find something that might be used for other than nice reasons on a ship.

Of course they will find things like hair rollers with wires in them and it might be a bit embarrassing to the pax who have to wait in line. Small price to pay. IMO.

You should google some of the things Security check points find in luggage!!!!

For those honeymooners .... bare in mind that any naughty items you might be bringing on your honeymoon could be pulled out for all to see!

There have been many hysterically humiliated ladies who have packed ..err.. personal battery operated items, only to have them be pulled out and checked by security in front of the whole world :eek:

Oh, boy! It's been a while since we've had the "iron" debate.

To answer the OP's question, the "naughty room" is usually the same area where crowds gather when you are disembarking at a tender port. Really more of a hallway.

I'm intrigued by the 50/60 Hz explanation, but would like to respectfully ask for citation to information that says that is the case. I'm not saying you're wrong .. just would like to read more about it. Although possible that the 110 V is indeed 50 Hz and some devices wouldn't notice, it would affect some devices such as an electric non-digital alarm clock, or could cause flicker on some laptops, etc.

I've watched the iron debate here on CC for years and do not take a "I'm right and you're wrong" position on it. I strongly, strongly suspect that the rule is in fact to drive business to the onboard laundry. But I also could understand that while most modern irons are in fact safer than hair dryers, curling irons, etc., having a rule that specified a "travel iron under 500 watts with a safety cutoff is OK" is impractical to implement, and they just make it simple by banning all irons.

RC could put the whole issue to rest if they just provided a self-service ironing facility that could be equipped with safe irons and monitored by security. Heck .. they could use the naughty room for that. But then we wouldn't have as many tiresome debates on CC, except there still would be tipping the stevedores.

Google 50hz vs. 60hz, and you can find pages of citation. Or, just ask any first year electrical engineering student.

I think you misunderstood. I wasn't asking for a clinic on power generation frequency. I know quite a bit about that, and could wax eloquently about injecting data bits at the zero crossing point .. a hobby of mine.

What I was asking for further citation about was that Royal Caribbean cruiseships do not also supply 60 Hz for their stateroom outlets.

Purely anecdotal, but I have an electronic equipment charger that I bring on cruises, and it gets very hot in the convenience outlets, but runs cool as ice at home. Only cycle or phase would cause that reaction. And, since I doubt rci is using single phase conversion, that just leaves cycle as the culprit.

The curling iron pictured is the one I have. It was stated that curling irons do not shut off automatically, but this curling iron does have an automatic shutoff. I think most do. It also has a little stand that is pictured to keep it up off a surface and allow air between it and the surface. The curling iron does get quite hot.

I have used this type of curling iron on every cruise. So far, I have a perfect record for unplugging it on cruise ships, but it would shut off on its own if I left it plugged in. It shows 120V 50/60hz on the side of it.

Purely anecdotal, but I have an electronic equipment charger that I bring on cruises, and it gets very hot in the convenience outlets, but runs cool as ice at home. Only cycle or phase would cause that reaction. And, since I doubt rci is using single phase conversion, that just leaves cycle as the culprit.

Fair enough. Maybe one of us can take an old electric clock with hands on our next cruise to test it out. I might even book an extra cruise just to have that opportunity.

Fair enough. Maybe one of us can take an old electric clock with hands on our next cruise to test it out. I might even book an extra cruise just to have that opportunity.

Good idea. As long as the cord doesn't melt, you should be able to confirm in a few hours. I could bring one of my meters, but they'd probably confiscate it:)

The curling iron pictured is the one I have. It was stated that curling irons do not shut off automatically, but this curling iron does have an automatic shutoff. I think most do. It also has a little stand that is pictured to keep it up off a surface and allow air between it and the surface. The curling iron does get quite hot.

I have used this type of curling iron on every cruise. So far, I have a perfect record for unplugging it on cruise ships, but it would shut off on its own if I left it plugged in. It shows 120V 50/60hz on the side of it.

If it says 50/60HZ on it, then it would not be affected by the current.

I am not sure why people think they can smuggle items on board a ship. If a person can't part with their iron for a week or so then why are you even going on a cruise?

If I know an item is a "no no" I'm not going to purposefully bring it on. If it was a mistake then I would apologize and get the item back at the end of the cruise.

From reading here it looks like its a risk to bring on your own wine/beer/drinks. Since the airlines only allow them in your checked bags and a lot of people want to carry on their bags to save the fees then your items will be confiscated before you go through security.

This is why On Board Credit was invented. You have money to spend for these items. Rather than plan too hard to bring your own drinks on just factor in the cost for the Wine Package/ Mixed Drinks etc.

In my humble opinion why are you taking a cruise to waste precious time in the naughty room?

Is this why the cord on the electric alarm clock I brought got hot? I thought that was strange. It doesn't get hot at home.

Archived