Visits to the naughty room

MAJ

I am new to this forum (but not new to cruising) and I am going to call foul play on the whole fire hazzard thing. It is a money making issue and not a safety one and here is how that can be proven:

On the past 4 cruises I have been on I have brought both my curling iron and my flat iron (for the guys.. flat iron is like a curling iron but smooths the hair)

Neither of those have a safety "off" feature where after so many minutes they turn off automatically. Most modern irons have this safety feature built in.

Curling irons are WAY more responsible for starting fires then clothing irons.

Yet women have been bringing curling irons on board since cruise ships were invented :p

RCC should consider having laundry rooms installed during refurbishments. But silly me; they would loose $ from having to pay for laundry pressing.

Princess and Azamara have laundry rooms and they are pretty handy; not sure about HAL.

Less likely people would try to sneak irons on board if they knew they had a laundry room.

HAL and Princess also allow you to bring wine and beer onboard which is great. We are trending out of RCC to Princess for more reasons than this after becoming D+. We have one more RC cruise and that might be it.

I am tired of hearing about childish things like a "naughty room".

Simply amazing how folks simply ignore the established rules of the cruiselines.

Guess the philosophy is, "the rules are for other people, not me."

Then you read the justifictions... "it's not a safety issue. They just want to make money."

Umm, no! They want to provide a safe and secure environment where the dangers of fire are minimized.

Too many followers of Garfield the Cat here with his philosophy "It's all about me!"

I went on my first cruise for my birthday last year and got to visit the naughty "room" (side note: why are we calling a hallway a room?). I was shocked as I had perused CC greatly before our trip and was sure I had none of the previously mentioned items to end up with being in the naughty room. So what was the offending item? A set of those octagonal wrench things, not sure what they are supposed to be called. We have to carry them for my handicapped mom's chair that she sleeps in. They were just like well we didn't know what it was so we needed to see it.

Simply amazing how folks simply ignore the established rules of the cruiselines.

Guess the philosophy is, "the rules are for other people, not me."

Then you read the justifictions... "it's not a safety issue. They just want to make money."

Umm, no! They want to provide a safe and secure environment where the dangers of fire are minimized.

Too many followers of Garfield the Cat here with his philosophy "It's all about me!"

If it is all a safety issue why do they allow curling irons and flat irons in the room which are 100x more dangerous then clothing irons?

I have never brought a clothing iron on a ship... I am on vacation. I do not iron on vacation :p

However I think if this were solely a safety issue they would not allow curling irons either...

I am new to this forum (but not new to cruising) and I am going to call foul play on the whole fire hazzard thing. It is a money making issue and not a safety one and here is how that can be proven:

On the past 4 cruises I have been on I have brought both my curling iron and my flat iron (for the guys.. flat iron is like a curling iron but smooths the hair)

Neither of those have a safety "off" feature where after so many minutes they turn off automatically. Most modern irons have this safety feature built in.

Curling irons are WAY more responsible for starting fires then clothing irons.

Yet women have been bringing curling irons on board since cruise ships were invented :p

If it is all a safety issue why do they allow curling irons and flat irons in the room which are 100x more dangerous then clothing irons?

I have never brought a clothing iron on a ship... I am on vacation. I do not iron on vacation :p

However I think if this were solely a safety issue they would not allow curling irons either...

Those appliances do not have an exposed heated surface. The clothes iron is ENTIRELY an exposed heated surface. The curling iron and flat iron have the heated surface between non-heated surfaces.

GET A GRIP! When was the last time a cruise ship burst into flames because of an iron? Maybe they should confiscate cigarettes too because someone may sneak and have one in their cabin and leave it burning, or maybe an ash will blow off a balcony onto a towel drying on a deck below Hee hee hee...

Taking away the guest laundry is just another ploy for them to make money. ON our last NCL cruise. our room steward delivered an iron an ironing board to our room upon request! And Carnival has free self assist guest laundry areas.

Who made you the laundry police anyway?

A picture is worth a thousand insipid argumentative self-aggrandizing words.

PICT0008.grid-6x2.jpg

Those appliances do not have an exposed heated surface. The clothes iron is ENTIRELY an exposed heated surface. The curling iron and flat iron have the heated surface between non-heated surfaces.

hc_cd89jcs.jpg

iron:

100706_steam_iron.jpg

Here is the U.S inspect sheet on wattage for appliances:

120-volt appliances and equipment:

• Refrigerator – depends on size and model – approx. 4 amps
  • Microwave – depends on size and model – approx. 10 amps
  • Hair dryer – 1500 watts – 12.5 amps
  • Curling iron – 1400 watts – 10 amps
  • Toaster – 1000 watts – 8.3 amps
  • Lighting – approx. 1200 watts – 10 amps
  • Portable heater – 1500 watts – 12.5 amps
  • Washing machine – approx. 1000 watts – 8.3 amps
  • Furnace blower – approx. 400 watts – 3.3 amps
  • Miscellaneous items – stereo, exhaust fans, blender, disposal, iron, additional TVs, etc.– 1500 to 4000 watts – 25 amps

As you can see, curling irons have the same wattage and get as hot as a clothing iron. Curling irons are laid on their side and can transfer this heat to other objects nearby.

The 4th leading cause of house fires is candles and curling irons:

Every year 45,000 fires are started by miscellaneous household equipment, such as candles and curling irons.

Curling irons pose a much higher fire risk then clothing irons.

I have seen some REALLY dingy girls on some of the cruises I have been on... I shutter over the fact that they have a curling iron in their room LOL

Curling irons cause more fires then clothing irons yet they are allowed on board and clothing irons are not. If this was a safety only issue they would restrict curling irons as well as clothing irons as they have the same wattage, output, deliverance of heat and fire hazard.

PICT0008.grid-6x2.jpg

The fire on the Star was caused by a cigarette, no ironing on balconys on that cruise. They now ask you not to leave clothing, towels etc on balconys

RCC should consider having laundry rooms installed during refurbishments. But silly me; they would loose $ from having to pay for laundry pressing.

Princess and Azamara have laundry rooms and they are pretty handy; not sure about HAL.

Less likely people would try to sneak irons on board if they knew they had a laundry room.

HAL and Princess also allow you to bring wine and beer onboard which is great. We are trending out of RCC to Princess for more reasons than this after becoming D+. We have one more RC cruise and that might be it.

I am tired of hearing about childish things like a "naughty room".

RCI wouldn´t need a "childish" thing like a naughty room when their passengers weren´t so "childish" to smuggle and try to get around many of the other regulations they have in their contracts.

If you don´t like their policies or lack of certain services like laundry rooms, it is your choice to sail other lines that offer those services. Nobody holds a gun to your head to have you sail on RCI. Of course you can also voice your opinion towards RCI to make them think about their policies and services. Ignoring those rules however is childish IMO and therefore a childish naughty room seems to be a good approach.

I´m tired of hearing about childish things like smuggling and rules are not for me.

The fire on the Star was caused by a cigarette, no ironing on balconys on that cruise. They now ask you not to leave clothing, towels etc on balconys

IIRC the official investigation report mentiones a cigarette as the most likely cause of the fire, while the investigations could not find out what caused the fire.

I wasn't going to mention that but you are mostly correct. They think it was a cigarette but it can't be proven. However the fire did start on the balconies. One of the reasons it spread like it did was due to the flammable chairs and lack of sprinkler systems on the balconies. As there are no plugs on the balconies I seriously doubt the fire was started by a clothing iron... who would iron on a balcony anyway?! LOL

In this day and age that is incorrect. Photos are some of the most doctored, untrue propaganda used in the media. There is nothing insipid or argumentative about telling the truth and giving the hard cold facts. You can't lead people to believe the fire started by a clothing iron to prove your point when it it untrue.

IIRC the official investigation report mentiones a cigarette as the most likely cause of the fire, while the investigations could not find out what caused the fire.

You are correct. This does bring up another angle on the clothing iron however....

You can smoke on your private balcony. You can have an open flamed lighter to light that cigarette yet you get sent to the naughty room for having a baby food blender. Smoking is a HUGE fire hazard and responsible for countless home and forest fires. I dare to say that baby food blenders are an extremely small percentage (if any) for causing fires.

Many nicer resorts I have been to have an iron and ironing board in the closet. They supply it for their guest free of charge. Most all major hotel chains have it so you can request an iron and ironing board. They do this to ensure the iron meets their safety regulations and have an automatic shut off feature. Those types of clothing irons have an extremely small chance of starting a fire if the proper ironing board is used.

As I stated before, I do not try and sneak an iron on board... that would mean I would have to iron while on vacation :eek:

At the same time I disagree with this rule being a safety only regulation. If it were about safety they would not allow smoking on private balconies or the use of curling irons in the rooms.

You are correct. This does bring up another angle on the clothing iron however....

You can smoke on your private balcony. You can have an open flamed lighter to light that cigarette yet you get sent to the naughty room for having a baby food blender. Smoking is a HUGE fire hazard and responsible for countless home and forest fires. I dare to say that baby food blenders are an extremely small percentage (if any) for causing fires.

Many nicer resorts I have been to have an iron and ironing board in the closet. They supply it for their guest free of charge. Most all major hotel chains have it so you can request an iron and ironing board. They do this to ensure the iron meets their safety regulations and have an automatic shut off feature. Those types of clothing irons have an extremely small chance of starting a fire if the proper ironing board is used.

As I stated before, I do not try and sneak an iron on board... that would mean I would have to iron while on vacation :eek:

At the same time I disagree with this rule being a safety only regulation. If it were about safety they would not allow smoking on private balconies or the use of curling irons in the rooms.

While I do think irons are a safety hazard I agree with you that them being a fire hazard is likely not the only reason for the cruise line to ban them. The reason why other potential fire hazards are allowed does not negate the fact that something similar being banned isn´t a fire hazard.

But all the discussion to me is a moot point anyway, as the policies about all this are clearly stated and people should put on their big boy panties and stop using the product if it bothers them so much instead of resorting to find ways around it.

Let´s just be a little creative here. A big part of relaxation for me when on a cruise is to just sit back on my balcony and read a book. Now if the cruiseline would start to say I´m not allowed to bring a book, cause the paper is burnable and a fire hazard and I could only read books sold to me by them as their books are printed on specially treated paper. My solution to this would surely not be smuggling my books onboard, but I simply chose a line that allows me to bring my books. (Yeah I know I read on my ipad these days;))

While I do think irons are a safety hazard I agree with you that them being a fire hazard is likely not the only reason for the cruise line to ban them. The reason why other potential fire hazards are allowed does not negate the fact that something similar being banned isn´t a fire hazard.

But all the discussion to me is a moot point anyway, as the policies about all this are clearly stated and people should put on their big boy panties and stop using the product if it bothers them so much instead of resorting to find ways around it.

Let´s just be a little creative here. A big part of relaxation for me when on a cruise is to just sit back on my balcony and read a book. Now if the cruiseline would start to say I´m not allowed to bring a book, cause the paper is burnable and a fire hazard and I could only read books sold to me by them as their books are printed on specially treated paper. My solution to this would surely not be smuggling my books onboard, but I simply chose a line that allows me to bring my books. (Yeah I know I read on my ipad these days;))

I agree 100%. I have never been a rule breaker and would be too worried if I tried to snuggle something on the ship that my vacation would be marred with the worry LOL

Clothing irons do pose a fire hazard as does anything that produces heat or is plugged in and uses electricity. The curling iron thing is a huge concern of mine. Close your eyes and think of some of the women you have met on previous cruises ... think of the really dingy/strange ones....

A great example would be this one woman that was standing next to us near the pool while they were draining and cleaning it... her statement? "WOW how does RC transport all of the saltwater that goes in the pool?"

Yeah those ladies have extremely hot curling irons in their stateroom. Do you really trust them to make sure they turn the iron off when they are done? :rolleyes:

Our cruise last Jan.,,,our friends had a bottle of Crown in their luggage,,well they ended up in the "naughty room" also,,they take the booze and give it back at the end of the cruise.....and there were alot of people down there,,it's not just for irons and etc....:cool::eek:..So the bottom line is "don't do it:,,enjoy your cruise and let the laundry press the clothes....

Have avoided jumping into this discussion hoping someone would address the real issue. Ships current is 220V 50HZ. They step down the current to 110V 50HZ for the convenience outlets. U.S. appliances are 110-120V 60HZ. If you plug a 60HZ appliance into a 50HZ outlet, three things bad happen: 1) the external heat delivered is lower (causing you to set the temp higher or use the device longer), and 2) the transformer inside the device gets a lot hotter and can meltdown, and 3) the cord (which is matched to the proper current flow of the appliance) overheats. If the cord is twisted or damaged at all, it can easily combust. BTW, that's also why they ban extension cords and power strips - they aren't designed to handle 50HZ current flow.

Before anyone asks, the reason why you don't encounter these issues with entertainment devices is that virtually all of them are made in Japan to support a global market and are designed to handle both 50HZ and 60HZ current flow.

Just asking...my bag made it to the naughty room....I had 5 bottle waters in towels...I also had a bottle of wine in the bottom of the bag. So I went down to claim it...I opened the towels with the water in them...really just water...and then they sent me on my way. Do water bottles cause a reason for the naughty room...cause when I opened it and they saw the water they didn't have me dig anymore....and they let me keep the water...is it possibly to get a bottle of wine on board without it being taken???

What if you packed two bottles and they take the first one..but don't realize there are two..or do they mark on the bag two bottles....just wondering.

On our last cruise from Southampton I Put my dog in the suitcase as he was small. He spent the week on the balcony no problem!:rolleyes:

Just a thought did someone clean and use disinfectant every day on your balcony

Hate to think this is the future of cruising with barking dogs either side of me

on my balcony and I am a dog lover and owner of three

Have avoided jumping into this discussion hoping someone would address the real issue. Ships current is 220V 50HZ. They step down the current to 110V 50HZ for the convenience outlets. U.S. appliances are 110-120V 60HZ. If you plug a 60HZ appliance into a 50HZ outlet, three things bad happen: 1) the external heat delivered is lower (causing you to set the temp higher or use the device longer), and 2) the transformer inside the device gets a lot hotter and can meltdown, and 3) the cord (which is matched to the proper current flow of the appliance) overheats. If the cord is twisted or damaged at all, it can easily combust. BTW, that's also why they ban extension cords and power strips - they aren't designed to handle 50HZ current flow.

Before anyone asks, the reason why you don't encounter these issues with entertainment devices is that virtually all of them are made in Japan to support a global market and are designed to handle both 50HZ and 60HZ current flow.

I have noticed this so do believe you. At the same time if this was a real concern on the ship ... things like hair dryers and curling irons would be banned as they use the higher end volts for appliances.

Archived