do they sell ship models onboard the NCL ships?

S.S.Oceanlover

They used to sell pretty decent models of the ships, but that was 20 years ago. What they have now is a very poor quality (almost toy like metal or ceramic model). It is complete and painted to look like the ship. The hull is not accurate and it's probably mass produced in China or a third world country. They are not what I would call a model. But then I build real models and am a member IPMS. :mad:

Are you talking about this kind of model. It's 10" long, they also had smaller ones but they weren't as nice.

Exactly those. I don't like the "cartoonish" style and If I'm not mistaken all Jewel-class models were the same so model of Pearl (and probably Gem too, I'd assume) is missing the climbing wall.

Now these would be models I'd approve but the price is quite something different too. :D

http://scherbakshipmodels.tripod.com/id89.html

norwegianjewelsubclass9001.jpg

Exactly those. I don't like the "cartoonish" style and If I'm not mistaken all Jewel-class models were the same so model of Pearl (and probably Gem too, I'd assume) is missing the climbing wall.

Now these would be models I'd approve but the price is quite something different too. :D

http://scherbakshipmodels.tripod.com/id89.html

norwegianjewelsubclass9001.jpg

Oh I'd love them, but you are right the price, I can't justify. I hope NCL doesn't stop making them until I've sailed their whole fleet, it's the only souvenir I get :)

Thanks for all the replies.

Yes i was talking about the one SDMike and Che 5904 posted.

Those other ones would break the bank and I don't have the space to display those as they are much bigger.

I didn't start collecting them until I had cruised awhile. I have 11 now.

Princess ones are smaller than the Disney and CCL ones.

The best one I have is one from the Mariner of the Seas which is crystal that my daughter bought me. That's my prized posession.:)

Bill

I have a similar question... Though we got this on a RCCL ship(Monarch) we want to get it on every cruise we go on, as we go on the Sky in May. It's hard to describe, but you can put a picture in it that's been taken throughout the cruise(Welcome Aboard pic etc.) that they put in the "hall of pictures"...

These guys:

FRONT

S5030937.jpg

INSIDE:

S5030936.jpg

• 1 month later...

I have a small fleet of ship ornaments. They're small - like 3" long. They are now $6.95 each - used to be $4.95. Sometimes they're boxed - sometimes hanging by their gold thread. They're really cute and look accurate to me. The ship's name is on it. I pretty much have one for every ship I've sailed on. I forgot to buy one when we were on the Wind. Another CC person was nice enough to buy me one and ship it to me!!! What a sweetheart.

• 2 months later...

If anyone has an extra NCL Star, I would be willing to purchase one. I looked online & can't find one.

First thing I did last Sunday as soon as we sailed & the shops opened was go to purchase it, but they had sold out of them on the last sailing :(. The girl in the gift shop kept looking for me & even had me walk down to the Atrium to see if they had the display model in one of the windows, but there was just an empty spot, they had sold it on Saturday. She took my name & told me she would keep looking, but only found a couple of empty boxes.

I would really appreciate it. Or if someone is going to be sailing the Star in the near future & would like to pick one up for me I would be so thankful. That was the only thing I was bummed about on our trip. Thank you.

Or if someone is going to be sailing the Star in the near future & would like to pick one up for me I would be so thankful. That was the only thing I was bummed about on our trip. Thank you.

I will be on the Star August 12th and would be happy to take a look and grab one for you if they have. You can send me a private message at the link below to let me know if you definitely want one before I leave and give me your contact info.

Patti

They used to sell pretty decent models of the ships, but that was 20 years ago. What they have now is a very poor quality (almost toy like metal or ceramic model). It is complete and painted to look like the ship. The hull is not accurate and it's probably mass produced in China or a third world country. They are not what I would call a model. But then I build real models and am a member IPMS. :mad:

What's IPMS? I'm ISO of a quality model of the SS Normandie...

Thanks!

I will be on the Star August 12th and would be happy to take a look and grab one for you if they have. You can send me a private message at the link below to let me know if you definitely want one before I leave and give me your contact info.

Patti

Thank you so much!!!! E-mail sent!:D

Thanks for posting this. Do you mind if I ask what the approximate weight and dimensions were. Rough is fine.

About 10 inches long if I recall. Didn't pick it up, but looked sturdy

• 4 years later...