Hotels Boston

bbcruiser

For those looking for Boston hotels, even though the Ames seems to be a nice hotel in a nice location, I did find a review that said the walls are thin and there is usually a young and loud crowd that comes to their restaurant on weekend nights which might not be desirable for light sleepers (especially ones who have early flights the next morning). That was a bit disappointing to see, since I am staying a Saturday night.

I'm not sure I'd let one review on anything totally persuade me. Maybe just me but I'd like to hear more comments than one person saying noise is a problem if all else seems to meet your needs.

Sail7seas thanks for the input.

I did some research and TripAdvisor had a few reviewers commenting about the thin walls and I also noticed that on Fodor's recommnedations for Boston Hotels, they like the Ames, but mentioned about the noise.

I also decided to book the Westin Copley Square. My intuition is that it is the hotel I would prefer (my preferences mostly) from the research I've done on hotels and areas.

Marriott Long Wharf Hotel is very nice also.

That one looks like the perfect location, but for our weekend it's 549 a night, plus I bet it's something like 14% tax. I sure hate to spend over a thousand for 2 nights stay in Boston. We have our reservation set that is fully cancellable. I'm going to keep watching the prices and will probably even try bidding on Priceline closer to time.

Biker@sea, is there much to do on the Waterfront? I'm guessing being in Copley Square, I would be closer to the T and have more options, especially at night.

Cheryl H. have you checked in Bed and Breakfasts for the Boston area? Some of them are more like "best kept secrets" in the area and might not hike their prices up as high for the weekend where you are staying. I just Google Bed and Breakfasts Boston, and from there, look at their locations. Some are in Brookline, which is farther from the action, but might be worth it if they are close to the T. You can always e-mail the host to see what they say. The reason why I didn't reserve a B & B, is because most require a 2 night stay, and I'm only staying one night. Check out VRBO.com too, there are several condos in the Beacon Hill and Back Bay areas on there (2-3 night minimums for most too). They might be good alternatives since everyone is probably booking hotels, not alternatives. Good luck.

Biker@sea, is there much to do on the Waterfront? I'm guessing being in Copley Square, I would be closer to the T and have more options, especially at night.

Cheryl H. have you checked in Bed and Breakfasts for the Boston area? Some of them are more like "best kept secrets" in the area and might not hike their prices up as high for the weekend where you are staying. I just Google Bed and Breakfasts Boston, and from there, look at their locations. Some are in Brookline, which is farther from the action, but might be worth it if they are close to the T. You can always e-mail the host to see what they say. The reason why I didn't reserve a B & B, is because most require a 2 night stay, and I'm only staying one night. Check out VRBO.com too, there are several condos in the Beacon Hill and Back Bay areas on there (2-3 night minimums for most too). They might be good alternatives since everyone is probably booking hotels, not alternatives. Good luck.

Check out Faneuil Hall ( http://boston.citysearch.com/profile/4718313/boston_ma/faneuil_hall_marketplace.html )

Boston's famed North End is a short walk across the Rose Kennedy Greenway

The T is handy at government center

I might add that right there by that Marriott Long Wharf is the aquarium, a Legal Seafood, and close by is the starting point for the Old Town Trolley. Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market is right across the street from there too.

Thanks bbcruiser. No, I hadn't checked about any bed & breakfasts. Thanks, I'll have to check that option out too. I wonder how they are set up for 3 people. I don't want to rent 2 rooms. Will have to research that.

Ended up booking the Westin Copley Place. If you've stayed there, could you let me know what your experience was?

I tried Mariott Custom House too, but they're booked for that weekend. Maybe I'll look at Mariott Long Wharf too.

I've had excellent experiences at the Westin. One new years eve I booked mini suite room on the concierge floor. When we showed up there was only a king bed. Instead of rolling in cots for the kids, they comped us the connecting king suite.

If you have any kind of bad weather, you will be thankful you are in the Westin with all the indoor amenities of Copley Place. The other hotels you mentioned are really stand alone locations.

I like the water front / Faneuil Hall / North end / area.

Scored the Boston Harbor Hotel on Snique away last month @ $199

Marriott Long Wharf Hotel is very nice also.

You did great.

Boston Harbor Hotel is beautiful.

You'll be a short taxi ride to Black Falcon Cruise Terminal and short ride to North End, Freedom Trail, Fanueil Hall, Quincy Market, downtown shopping.... such as it is these days. The best shopping is Boylston Street, Newbury Street, Copley Place......

Ended up booking the Westin Copley Place. If you've stayed there, could you let me know what your experience was?

I tried Mariott Custom House too, but they're booked for that weekend. Maybe I'll look at Mariott Long Wharf too.

You will be very pleased with your choice.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60745-d268206-Reviews-Boston_Common_Hotel_and_Conference_Center-Boston_Massachusetts.html

Anyone familair with this, the Boston Commons Hotel (formerly John Hancock)? The reviews look like it's a basic, decent, not-fancy kind of place, which suits us since we'll be out acting like tourists more than in the room.

My concern is that I've heard "one side of the Common is great, the other side sketchy" but I don't know which side is whcih, or which side this place is located.

We'll be there the same busy weekend (and on the same cruise as Cheryl H) so we do need to book pretty quick. Advice very welcome!

It just looks funny, it's still clickable.

Location of this property is perfectly safe. No idea of the amenities or comfort level.

thank you. The amenities look basic, but that's fine...we don't plan on being there much! I was concerned about the location.

While we're on the subject, do you think it's realistic to rent a car and make a big swooping circle of points of interest, especially historic places, in a day or 2? We are going on a cruise, but I have not been the NE in years and husband never has. I think part of the appeal for him is the novelty of being to cross state lines in just hours or less. We don't do that out west, where we live!

Repeater, it's been years since I've been to Boston, but from what I've read, it's better to use the "T", their public transportation vs. renting a car. As I recall, driving around Boston was a nightmare. Last time I was there, I paid to park by car at the hotel and took the T everywhere. Parking costs are astronomical (I think it was something like $20/hour in downtown for a parking garage). You can get a one day pass for the "T" for $9 and get pretty much to all the tourist sites (I checked their site recently, and it is still posted as $9 for an all day pass). I'm sure 138east will have some more info if they are watching this post. I think they stated that renting a car is a "must not" for Boston.

Repeater, it's been years since I've been to Boston, but from what I've read, it's better to use the "T", their public transportation vs. renting a car. As I recall, driving around Boston was a nightmare. Last time I was there, I paid to park by car at the hotel and took the T everywhere. Parking costs are astronomical (I think it was something like $20/hour in downtown for a parking garage). You can get a one day pass for the "T" for $9 and get pretty much to all the tourist sites (I checked their site recently, and it is still posted as $9 for an all day pass). I'm sure 138east will have some more info if they are watching this post. I think they stated that renting a car is a "must not" for Boston.

Thanks, great advice, but I was asking about venturing farther afield. I'm not good with traffic, so I already vetoed driving in Boston proper. Thanks!

Did you figure out what you want to do? Where do you want to go if you get out of town? One strategy would be to look for a hotel along route 128 on Hotwire - I see a lot of really good deals on these hotels (many are identifiable) compared to the downtown Boston hotels. You can rent a car at Logan Airport, go through the Ted Williams Tunnel and get on the Mass Pike very easily as long as you're not trying to do this at afternoon rush hour. Staying in the Waltham/Newton or Burlington/Woburn area would give you easy access to Lexington and Concord and a short drive up to the Salem area. If you want to go up to New Hampshire, you would also have easy access to route 3.

Did you figure out what you want to do? Where do you want to go if you get out of town? One strategy would be to look for a hotel along route 128 on Hotwire - I see a lot of really good deals on these hotels (many are identifiable) compared to the downtown Boston hotels. You can rent a car at Logan Airport, go through the Ted Williams Tunnel and get on the Mass Pike very easily as long as you're not trying to do this at afternoon rush hour. Staying in the Waltham/Newton or Burlington/Woburn area would give you easy access to Lexington and Concord and a short drive up to the Salem area. If you want to go up to New Hampshire, you would also have easy access to route 3.

Good advice! Things have been so busy here, we literally have not had a chance to plan this trip well yet or come up with a route. At the very least, I think we need to book a hotel and flight, and car soon---the rest we can fill in as time draws nearer. I think we'll fly in 3-4 days before the cruise, which will give us time to explore a bit. The last day, we'll wander aroung Boston itself. For now, we're concentrating on 2 impending grandchildren, loads of overtime, and the Pacific coastal cruise end of April. We finally plotted tours and things-to-see for that one. Thanks for your advice---it does make more sense to stay outside of Boston, except maybe that last night. Still dreading traffic in any form. A Star Trek transporter would be handy...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We are booked at the Hampton Inn Airport pre-cruise. They will pick us up from airport and for $10 pp take us to the cruise terminal the next day. Post-cruise we are staying at the Courtyard Copey Square for 3 days. Can anyone tell me if we made a good choice or not. This is our first time to Boston.

Courtyard Copley Square is a well located, relatively new (under 7 years old) property. Limited services, as a Courtyard will be, but there are 100 places to eat and 200 places to shop within a mile.

As opposed to the Hampton Inn which is in the middle of an Industrial area. Keep the windows closed!

Archived